FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

XDA DevDB FAQ / Feedback / Bug Reports

4,380 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,163
 
By svetius, User Experience Admin on 3rd July 2013, 06:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th July 2013, 10:41 PM |#21  
Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
More
Visual interface/portal
As a suggestion to the DevDB, a visual interface/portal may help show compatibilities of various code modification though family forking of devices. As an example, I noted that various samsung galaxy devices incorporates a 'Popup Receiver apk' with one message/ prompt being annoying ('to avoid hearing damage...'). On some Galaxy devices it is just a simple message while other device require a users acknowledgement (ie 'click ok'). because the code shares a similar family base, it seems practical to show an evolution forking of the code and as a sub-note, modifications (if needed) to allow similar operations.
 
 
20th July 2013, 03:58 PM |#22  
Nate2's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 55
 
More
Would be nice (though might be pushing it), if DevDB could indicate popularity of ROMs, etc.
Like http://sourceforge.net/top

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
3rd August 2013, 04:36 AM |#23  
ref: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2387290

I copy-pasta'd my thread into this. It seems that any period-2-spaces combo turns into period-2-space-asterisk. Dunno what's up.
4th August 2013, 09:14 PM |#24  
danarama's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 19,161
 
More
Are there any thoughts on RC's being able to add things to the "Root Info" tab? I have an "understanding the basics before rooting" thread I'd love to see in the S3 i9300 forum.
5th August 2013, 05:40 PM |#25  
langer hans's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,533
 
More
As my favorite ROM enabled DevDB a few days ago and after I saw all the possibilities I'd like to throw in an idea I had before.
DevDB adds the possibility to have contributors. How about these contributors would be able to actually kind of moderate in the specific project's thread? I know there would be much to consider about that, but looking at some ROM threads with thousands of pages going off topic so much between ROM releases it makes sense to me. Many ROM threads are small sub-communites on their own.
5th August 2013, 06:25 PM |#26  
ikjadoon's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Richmond, KY
Thanks Meter: 435
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by langer hans

As my favorite ROM enabled DevDB a few days ago and after I saw all the possibilities I'd like to throw in an idea I had before.
DevDB adds the possibility to have contributors. How about these contributors would be able to actually kind of moderate in the specific project's thread? I know there would be much to consider about that, but looking at some ROM threads with thousands of pages going off topic so much between ROM releases it makes sense to me. Many ROM threads are small sub-communites on their own.

Maybe moderation is too much for now, but what about this as a baby step?

What if...those contributors could each edit the OP...maybe they could create a FAQ..maybe they would care about getting information out in a reasonable manner and would keep it updated.. what if they reduced the workload on that one developer?

Thanks for making me not sound like a crazy nut ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW8a...e_gdata_player ).
5th August 2013, 06:32 PM |#27  
langer hans's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,533
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikjadoon

Maybe moderation is too much for now, but what about this as a baby step?

What if...those contributors could each edit the OP...maybe they could create a FAQ..maybe they would care about getting information out in a reasonable manner and would keep it updated.. what if they reduced the workload on that one developer?

Thanks for making me not sound like a crazy nut ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW8a...e_gdata_player ).

Yep, I see it is much to ask.
About your idea: Except editing the OP, this is pretty common, at least for the ROMs I used (I don't use many). The Dev asks some staff member to hand over 2nd or 3rd or 4th posts from one "thank you" poster to one of his users. Then this user adds useful stuff to that post. I take care of such a FAQ post myself
As I read DevDB introduces the reservation of posts anyway. Still those posts aren't very prominent to many users so the already answered questions will be answered again and again and again.

Another idea: In-thread-stickies. Like have one "post" on every beginning of a page. Doesnt need to be very big. Just enough to maybe hold some quick tipps and a link to the more detailed FAQ section. People won't read 10 pages back, but maybe they will read at least the page they're posting to. (At least I can hope so)
The Following User Says Thank You to langer hans For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift langer hans Ad-Free
6th August 2013, 08:22 PM |#28  
bitpushr's Avatar
XDA:Administrator
Thanks Meter: 2,704
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikjadoon

Maybe moderation is too much for now, but what about this as a baby step?

What if...those contributors could each edit the OP...maybe they could create a FAQ..maybe they would care about getting information out in a reasonable manner and would keep it updated.. what if they reduced the workload on that one developer?

Thanks for making me not sound like a crazy nut ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW8a...e_gdata_player ).

This is already a part of DevDB... up to 3 contributors can edit OP.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bitpushr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bitpushr Ad-Free
6th August 2013, 09:29 PM |#29  
danarama's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 19,161
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpushr

This is already a part of DevDB... up to 3 contributors can edit OP.

Whilst your here, could you explain how the "root info" tab works? This would be a much easier place to keep our reference threads than the current roll-up stickies we're using. Its easier to point members to because its at teh top of each forum whether they're in general or q&a. There are a lot of practical benefits for this, how can we exploit them?
6th August 2013, 11:35 PM |#30  
ikjadoon's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Richmond, KY
Thanks Meter: 435
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpushr

This is already a part of DevDB... up to 3 contributors can edit OP.

You've made my day!
8th August 2013, 02:54 PM |#31  
bitpushr's Avatar
XDA:Administrator
Thanks Meter: 2,704
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Whilst your here, could you explain how the "root info" tab works? This would be a much easier place to keep our reference threads than the current roll-up stickies we're using. Its easier to point members to because its at teh top of each forum whether they're in general or q&a. There are a lot of practical benefits for this, how can we exploit them?

Right. This is an area we are working on right now. Currently I believe its under-utilized, thats our fault because we don't yet have a good system set up to populate this information.

What it is *meant* to be is a page that has the always-updated root information for a device. So if you want to root your device, this is the place to check.

The real problem, we've come to figure out, is keeping them updated. As you know, there are usually several ways to root a device, and it even differs depending on the specific device model.

So for now, we are manually using the best root information available for a device, and in the future we are exploring options such as making a member responsible for the root methods on their particular device, or perhaps making it a wiki.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes