Use this script to install TWRP Recovery, ROOT, and Google apps to your Nabi 2 tablet. Step by step instructions are included within the installer. While there is another more complex script (by aicjofs, and which was offline when I originally needed it), this one is smaller and simpler. It is based on jmzrootpackage, and I had some inspiration from Victoria's video. I started this with the intention of only making things just a little bit smoother. I ended up adding more than I had originally intended. This installer contains information through each step to help guide you through the rooting process. Linux instructions can be found here.
NOTE: (Jan, 2015) There are newer versions of the Nabi on the market now, and I do not have any with which to test this script, only the original Nabi 2. As a result, it is unlikely that this will get any further updates. The newer models most likely will not work very well, or simply not work at all with this script. If you are capable and so inclined, I officially invite you to use this script in your own rooting project. Just give credit where credit is due.
- Helps guide you step by step
- ROOT your Nabi 2
- Install Google apps
- Will NOT wipe your data
- No Android upgrading message
- No wifi issues
- Install TWRP
- Simple update to TWRP
- Reported to fix touch screen issues in TWRP
- Includes ADB files
- Automatically backs up before rooting
- Includes PdaNet driver installer
- New Remove Wings (for Nabi 2 v2.1+)
1. Check For Proper Drivers
Use this option to check if your computer has the PdaNet drivers communicating with your Nabi2. This is a simple check for existing connectivity. Nothing will be changed. This will also display your Nabi 2 serial number.
2. Install PdaNet Driver
In order for this installer to properly interface with the Nabi 2, you must have the PdaNet driver installed on your computer. This option will start the PdaNet driver installation process for you. Requires Windows 8/7/Vista/XP (32 or 64 bit). If you already have the drivers installed, you can skip this step.
3. Install Recovery and Root
This will install the touch enabled TWRP recovery to the tablet, as well as copy over the rooting file. Use the TWRP install button to select the rooting file and apply.
4. Install Google Apps
After your Nabi 2 is rooted, use this option to install Google apps. After it is copied over, use the TWRP install button to select the Google apps file and apply. Reboot the Nabi 2 (parent mode) and then update the Google apps to the current version of Google Play.
5. Update TWRP
Here you can choose from two experimental versions of TWRP, or drop-in your own custom version. You are given the options of testing and installing. That way you can make sure it works with your Nabi 2 before you flash it.
6. Remove Wings
This option only applies to Nabi 2 system version 2.1+. With version 2.1, Fuhu filled up the /system partition. As a result, there is not enough room to add Google Apps to the Nabi 2. Removing Wings will free up nearly 105 MB, and will allow Google Apps to be installed. You have the option of removing the files with or without backing them up first.
As you might expect, this closes the program window.
- Tested with US edition; With other versions you mileage will vary...
- jmztaylor - wrote the original root your nabi 2 script
- aicjofs - TWRP for Nabi 2, and NabiLabs
- t499user - fixed the Android is upgrading on startup bug
- Dees_troy - TWRP help
- Victoria - made the video that inspired me to work on this script
- Tweaked the install script
- Updated TWRP Recovery to v22.214.171.124
- Included experimental TWRP recoveries 126.96.36.199v2, 188.8.131.52
- Removed old TWRP recoveries
- Updated PDAnet installer to v184.108.40.206
- Included fix for Nabi2 v2.1 no free space issue
- Organized some internal files
I have regressed the updated *.zip files to the originals, and the rest should work as expected now.
MN2RI v1.5.0 Beta2 (78.6 MB)