[Q] Disable screen timeout - Focus

Search This thread

Frank_Toronto

Nov 22, 2010
Hi, I have yet to find a way to prevent the screen from powering down in my Samsung Focus. I have it set to 5 minutes but with a charger attached, I really should be able to keep the screen on if I need it... which I do.

A simple setting: "Never" would work. I am old enough to establish my battery usage :p

Am I missing something here? With Android, this option was available in the Development settings.

Thanks

krjcook

Aug 28, 2009
maybe there's not an option for that yet. Just set your display settings to never and force timeout yourself by clicking the power button?

Dec 7, 2010
BA OK
you have the option to set it to never but that option goes away when you are charging? did you set your phone up to an exchange server? i know when i did mine the never option went away.

Frank_Toronto

Nov 22, 2010
Whoa.. where is this "Never" option you guys are referring to?

I go to Settings > Lock & Wallpaper > Screen Time Out = 5 Minutes (Which is the max setting) Other choices are 30 Sec., 1 Min and 3 Min.

Thanks for the replies!

Frank_Toronto

Nov 22, 2010
My screen still turns off, even when using the gps. LaME

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

Exactly! I have been looking into this more and it seems the developers can code something to prevent this from happening with their apps.

Hopefully someone will develop something to allow the screen to stay on (I will pay), or maybe one of you uber-wise experts will find a backdoor setting.

bozzaj

Nov 12, 2008
Ouch! So that was something the manufacturers could change and Samsung screwed it up. 'Never' option makes a lot of sense.

Never option is only available if you're not using a password. Turn the password option on, the never option isn't available. At least that's how it works on my Quantum.

rexian

Oct 22, 2006

OGCF

Aug 23, 2010
That's bizarre. I have a Focus also and I never knew other phones had a Never option for screen timeout. Maybe Samsung was concerned about the Super AMOLED's effects on battery life?

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Do you remember what you did there?
Sorry, nope. But I wish so!.. For development it's very useful option. BTW, it's possible - 100% proof. So, we just need to figure out how to...

P.S. Fortunately, I also have HTC Surround handset for development (stays on forever)
P.P.S. FYI: I've played (mostly) with *#0*#...

Frank_Toronto

Nov 22, 2010
Well thanks for the effort sensboston! Hopefully you can crack the code. FWIW I called Samsung in Canada (went nowhere) and posted the question on Samsung.com (waiting for it to get approved)

Cheers!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm terribly sorry for digging this topic out of the bowels of history, but I seem to have found the answer.

I posted it on WPCentral, and I'll summarize it here (can't post a link as a super-noob, haha, oh well) rather than copy and paste the whole thing.

Basically, Focus v1.3, running the 8107 update loaded from the LG Vodafone registry switch trick.

WP7 Root Tools

Local machine
    Control Panel
    Edit value called "DisableNever" to a value of 0 rather than 1. Save, reboot.

You now have options of 15 minutes, 30 minutes, and Never added to your lock timeout drop down menu in settings.

I have no idea if I "discovered" this or not. Frankly, I don't care. But if someone else posted about this tweak before I did, they deserve whatever credit is due.