FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,272

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th May 2019, 05:34 PM |#11561  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Greetings.

I'm looking for suggestions about which phone to replace my busted HTC 10.

Some background about an otherwise perfectly fine phone:

I bought it online from overseas, because it was cheaper than buying it here, the catch was "one year warranty if you send it back overseas to us at your expense" kind of deal. So, yea, no warranty.
The phone itself was brand new (or so it seemed, sealed package with everything HTC banded original, with working OTA - did the Nougat to Oreo OTA update in my hands).
It has run fine for all this time, on stock ROM and kernel, but some 2 or 3 months ago, it suddenly caught the wakelocks.
It's draining something like 3%+ battery per hour, when idle, and no custom ROM/Kernel, no amount of factory resets, can fix it.
Asked/searched around the web, provided GSam and Amplify screenshots, posts got abandoned/ignored.
Currently on latest version of LeeDroid (custom ROM, as last ditch attempt to fix the issue). In 24 hours of idle time, it drained the battery from 70% down to 1%. Bluetooth on, WiFi off, NFC off, Mobile data off, Location on battery saving mode.
I guess that it's time to shelf this boy and get a new one, much to my disappointment (and my wallet's pain) ...

What I'm looking for in a new phone:

Obviously, I'm not interested in a downgrade. So, here's what the new device should have/be able to do:

Mandatory:

- Rootable/Customizable (MUST BE ROOTABLE, AT THE VERY LEAST, VERY IMPORTANT);
- SIM Unlocked;
- Europe/International version;
- Qualcomm SnapDragon 820 OR equivalent OR better (caveat - I've read bad stuff about Mediatek, I don't know much about SoC);
- 3000mAh battery OR better;
- MicroSD slot;
- At least 4GB RAM;
- At least 16GB internal storage (my HTC 10 has 32GB which is more than enough for my needs);
- At least 5,2'' screen size, preferably NOT AMOLED, with decent resolution (love the quality on my HTC 10);
- Gaming performance/quality similar to the HTC 10.

Nice to have/do:

- Type-C USB slot - bought a bunch of cables and adapters for the HTC 10, would like to keep using them;
- Stereo speakers - HTC 10 has it, good immersion for gaming and playing music/videos;
- 3,5mm audio jack - mainly to plug into the car audio, which does not have wireless connectivity.

Budget: Ideally around 300 euros or below, absolute maximum 600 euros (oof ouch my wallet hurts make it stop).

Thank you very much for your suggestions, in advance.
10th May 2019, 05:58 PM |#11562  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu99ke

Nokia 7 Plus... Or 8.1...

Will have best updates ....

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

Pixel 3xl ( not curved screen but.. good screen protectors hard to come by )

Don't Xperia xz2 premium

Thank you. I thought about the 3xl, but I'm not a big fan of not having memory card slot.
The Following User Says Thank You to mai0f For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mai0f Ad-Free
10th May 2019, 07:56 PM |#11563  
Thanks Meter: 149

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam0laZ

Greetings.

I'm looking for suggestions about which phone to replace my busted HTC 10.

Some background about an otherwise perfectly fine phone:

I bought it online from overseas, because it was cheaper than buying it here, the catch was "one year warranty if you send it back overseas to us at your expense" kind of deal. So, yea, no warranty.
The phone itself was brand new (or so it seemed, sealed package with everything HTC banded original, with working OTA - did the Nougat to Oreo OTA update in my hands).
It has run fine for all this time, on stock ROM and kernel, but some 2 or 3 months ago, it suddenly caught the wakelocks.
It's draining something like 3%+ battery per hour, when idle, and no custom ROM/Kernel, no amount of factory resets, can fix it.
Asked/searched around the web, provided GSam and Amplify screenshots, posts got abandoned/ignored.
Currently on latest version of LeeDroid (custom ROM, as last ditch attempt to fix the issue). In 24 hours of idle time, it drained the battery from 70% down to 1%. Bluetooth on, WiFi off, NFC off, Mobile data off, Location on battery saving mode.
I guess that it's time to shelf this boy and get a new one, much to my disappointment (and my wallet's pain) ...

What I'm looking for in a new phone:

Obviously, I'm not interested in a downgrade. So, here's what the new device should have/be able to do:

Mandatory:

- Rootable/Customizable (MUST BE ROOTABLE, AT THE VERY LEAST, VERY IMPORTANT);
- SIM Unlocked;
- Europe/International version;
- Qualcomm SnapDragon 820 OR equivalent OR better (caveat - I've read bad stuff about Mediatek, I don't know much about SoC);
- 3000mAh battery OR better;
- MicroSD slot;
- At least 4GB RAM;
- At least 16GB internal storage (my HTC 10 has 32GB which is more than enough for my needs);
- At least 5,2'' screen size, preferably NOT AMOLED, with decent resolution (love the quality on my HTC 10);
- Gaming performance/quality similar to the HTC 10.

Nice to have/do:

- Type-C USB slot - bought a bunch of cables and adapters for the HTC 10, would like to keep using them;
- Stereo speakers - HTC 10 has it, good immersion for gaming and playing music/videos;
- 3,5mm audio jack - mainly to plug into the car audio, which does not have wireless connectivity.

Budget: Ideally around 300 euros or below, absolute maximum 600 euros (oof ouch my wallet hurts make it stop).

Thank you very much for your suggestions, in advance.

Sony XZ Premium... All of the above .. though unlocking bootloader and rooting etc is possible but you lose DRM - which effects camera quality. I really loved the phone but tapped out and got pixel 2xl for the camera.

Razor phone 1 or 2 .....

HTC U11... U12... Although you may not get support for long.

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaDonna

please suggest a phone
constraints :
1. idc about soc unless its not supported well by devs or if it is <sd 4xx
2. the smaller the form factor the better (<6 inches would be sweetest)
3. zero ****s given for a camera
4. type c
5. oled display and a headphone jack would be awesome
6. <400 usd ( 28000 inr )
7. presently under development/ rootable/ can flash stable custom roms/ well supported by devs

thanks a ton

One plus 5T??
12th May 2019, 12:41 PM |#11564  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu99ke

Sony XZ Premium... All of the above .. though unlocking bootloader and rooting etc is possible but you lose DRM - which effects camera quality. I really loved the phone but tapped out and got pixel 2xl for the camera.

Razor phone 1 or 2 .....

HTC U11... U12... Although you may not get support for long.

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Where I live, the options available are very limited. Flagships readily available are only from Samsung, Huawei and Xiaomi; any kind of HTC phone or other exotic brands (except cheap chinas like Ulephone, Elephone, Wiko and the like) have nearly no presence.

When I bought my HTC 10, in the summer of 2017, the cheapest HTC 10 available in my country cost about 450 euros, and only one online shop had it for sale. I ended up ordering it from overseas, which cost me 380 euros with customs taxes. Currently, only another online shop has it for sale in borders, but now it costs over 550 euros ... A raise of 100 euros in two years, for a 2016 flagship??? The price should go down, not up!!!

About the Sony, I've had a Xperia M4 Aqua, the 8GB version. It was terrible, the stock OS alone took 7GB, had to install a custom ROM to remove some bloat, and even so it only ended up with about 2GB of free space. I was pretty much forced to install any app in the sd card, and even so the installation would take chunks of internal storage. When under 1GB of free space, it became unbearably laggy. I've been weary of Sony devices ever since. Also, as far as Sony phones go, over here, anything that isn't a Xperia is very hard to come by.

Surprisingly, I can find both Razer phones in here. Prices are over the roof, with the Razer 1 costing over 700 euros and the Razer 2 costing over 800 euros. But, I've found a few less known online shops, in borders, that sell them for less. A deal until the end of next week for the Razer 1, costs 350 euros (otherwise it was 500 euros), and another shop sells the Razer 2 for 500 euros. I wanted to wait until about August or something, before commiting, but these deals ... I'm still holding to the hope of, somehow, being able to fix my HTC 10, but I may be wasting time and effort on a dying phone ...
12th May 2019, 02:28 PM |#11565  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello, I am looking for a phone with long battery life and as cheap as possible. I don't play games or use heavy apps, I mostly use whatsapp, twitter, instagram, reddit app and mails. I prefer something under 100 euros. (germany)
13th May 2019, 12:46 AM |#11566  
Thanks Meter: 149

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam0laZ

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Where I live, the options available are very limited. Flagships readily available are only from Samsung, Huawei and Xiaomi; any kind of HTC phone or other exotic brands (except cheap chinas like Ulephone, Elephone, Wiko and the like) have nearly no presence.

When I bought my HTC 10, in the summer of 2017, the cheapest HTC 10 available in my country cost about 450 euros, and only one online shop had it for sale. I ended up ordering it from overseas, which cost me 380 euros with customs taxes. Currently, only another online shop has it for sale in borders, but now it costs over 550 euros ... A raise of 100 euros in two years, for a 2016 flagship??? The price should go down, not up!!!

About the Sony, I've had a Xperia M4 Aqua, the 8GB version. It was terrible, the stock OS alone took 7GB, had to install a custom ROM to remove some bloat, and even so it only ended up with about 2GB of free space. I was pretty much forced to install any app in the sd card, and even so the installation would take chunks of internal storage. When under 1GB of free space, it became unbearably laggy. I've been weary of Sony devices ever since. Also, as far as Sony phones go, over here, anything that isn't a Xperia is very hard to come by.

Surprisingly, I can find both Razer phones in here. Prices are over the roof, with the Razer 1 costing over 700 euros and the Razer 2 costing over 800 euros. But, I've found a few less known online shops, in borders, that sell them for less. A deal until the end of next week for the Razer 1, costs 350 euros (otherwise it was 500 euros), and another shop sells the Razer 2 for 500 euros. I wanted to wait until about August or something, before commiting, but these deals ... I'm still holding to the hope of, somehow, being able to fix my HTC 10, but I may be wasting time and effort on a dying phone ...

I can speak to personally having an XZ premium and it was a fantastic phone... Su h a light Android skins and top specs made it a beast and very snappy. Pretty good software support too... Do not judge recent Sony flagships on the M4 aqua... The experience will be worlds apart - definitely recommend if you don't mind the design language.
13th May 2019, 02:35 PM |#11567  
Thanks Meter: 865

Donate to Me
More
Which do you guys think is a better phone, the galaxy a50 or the redmi note 7 or moto g7 plus or the p30 lite?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
14th May 2019, 07:06 PM |#11568  
Flag Escobedo Nuevo Leon
Thanks Meter: 10

Donate to Me
More
Please to all the big community here on XDA I need some guidance on my next phone.
Brief History:
I start my history with my LG G3, what an amazing phone, ultra fast, great software support, great camera, great and faster repairs, had it since 2014 and still a few months ago was fully working until the damn faded screen issue arrives, I dig a lot here on XDA and try different repairs, thermal paste, in the oven etc.
Then I switched to LG G5 but honestly the phone feels like a toy, has lag with last update to Oreo and the damn Screen burn appears in less than 2 months, shame on you LG.
Less than 3 weeks ago I got what I tough will be a great phone, my LG V20 H910, when it arrives I discover the Att Bloatware and after a couple of days I flash the US996 kdz, the ROM is clean and beautiful, unfortunately I realize the phone is slower than my LG G5 (What the actual **** LG!), after days of research I discover that something with the kernel to avoid overheat thus the phone run slower than usual, and guess what, I started to see some screen retention, I'm from Mexico so I´ll say in Spanish NO MAMES LG!!! How is it possible that a new phone with amazing specs runs slower than MY G3!, how is possible that I have to open the phone to replace the factory thermal paste, root, and change the kernel to run smooth as I should be.
Big question!!!!!!, Is there any phone, that runs smooth with NO LAG, great camera, with NO Bloatware rape as ATT use to do with their phones, no screen retention or image burn and all of these without the need to Root It, disassembly and modify any internals, I just want to power On the Damn phone and use as I use to do with my G3.

Big Thanks, Really really I appreciate any feedback.
14th May 2019, 11:34 PM |#11569  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I am a furious owner of an S9 G960U1. I have never spent so much money on a phone as this one, and yet I absolutely hate it. I hate that I cannot change anything or make my own device do what I want. I will never purchase another Samsung device. I am going to sell this pos as soon as I can replace it.

What I'm generally looking to accomplish with my next device is achieve a high level of security and customization.

I need the following:
-Based on Android, can use Android apps
-A fully functional ROM available
-Root, ad blocking, customization possible (attempting to completely degoogle)
-Working wifi calling

I would like if possible:
-High end hardware, cost no object--nice cameras, fast, etc.
-Tap & Pay (probably not going to happen without Samsung or Google)

Please give me some models & even ROMs to research. Thanks!
15th May 2019, 10:34 AM |#11570  
Thanks Meter: 161

More
Samsung A70 Or Asus Zenfone 5Z (6/128gb) - which one sholud I pick ?
15th May 2019, 11:30 AM |#11571  
Thanks Meter: 2,873

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by engardeknave

I am a furious owner of an S9 G960U1. I have never spent so much money on a phone as this one, and yet I absolutely hate it. I hate that I cannot change anything or make my own device do what I want. I will never purchase another Samsung device. I am going to sell this pos as soon as I can replace it.

What I'm generally looking to accomplish with my next device is achieve a high level of security and customization.

I need the following:
-Based on Android, can use Android apps
-A fully functional ROM available
-Root, ad blocking, customization possible (attempting to completely degoogle)
-Working wifi calling

I would like if possible:
-High end hardware, cost no object--nice cameras, fast, etc.
-Tap & Pay (probably not going to happen without Samsung or Google)

Please give me some models & even ROMs to research. Thanks!

The Mi8 would be perfect for what you are wanting. I believe that you would also be happy with the OP6T

Sent from my Xiaomi MI 8 using XDA Labs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsongming For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tsongming Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)