FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,272

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st August 2019, 05:18 PM |#11671  
Flag Velletri, RM
Thanks Meter: 133

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsenden

I've been the happy owner of a OnePlus 3T 64GB for the past 2.5 years. Unfortunately last week the display of my 3T cracked (although still functional for now). My company will not pay for repair, but will reimburse up to the equivalent of USD 350 for a new phone every 2 years. As such I guess it's time for a new phone. Question is, which one?

I mostly use my phone for basic things; browsing, navigation, email & messaging, Facebook, occasional music and videos (Plex, VLC, streaming to ChromeCast), occasional photo's and video recording, ...

Requirements:

* Dual SIM (main reason for replacing my previous Moto X 2014 with Honor 5X before moving to OnePlus 3T, other than that I liked the Moto X as well)
* Fairly clean Android experience, little/no bloatware (I like the OnePlus experience much better than my earlier Samsung S2 & S4 Mini)
* Good performance (since the upgrade to OxygenOS 9.0.4, it seems like my 3T is sometimes lagging just a little bit)
* Decent battery life & fast charging
* Frequent Android updates/upgrades (my experience with OnePlus is much better than earlier Samsung phones)
* Unlockable bootloader and active custom ROM community would be good (with the 3T I've never felt the need to install a custom ROM, but it's good to have an alternative if needed, for example if the manufacturer stops providing updates)
* Easy to fit into your pocket; not too big and not too heavy
* 128GB or more storage
* Preferably 3.5 audio jack
* No Huawei due to uncertain future given USA trade restrictions
* Price around EUR 350 to 500 (give or take a couple of euro's)
* Available in The Netherlands through local (web) shops, amazon.de, or manufacturer web shop

Preferably I would like to stick with OnePlus, but I think the OnePlus 7 (Pro) or even 6/6T don't meet my requirements; too expensive, no audio jack, and probably much larger and heavier than the 3T. The main advantage for me would probably just be the much better camera on the 7 (Pro). The OnePlus 5/5T seems to meet my requirements much better, with prices around EUR 380 for OnePlus 5 128GB, or EUR 480 for 5T on amazon.de, but I'm a bit worried about Android upgrades as this is already a slightly older model.

Are there any other brands/phones that I should look into that meet my requirements but are more recent than the OnePlus 5/5T? Any major pro's or con's or other remarks with regards to buying the 5T?

Thanks,
Ruud

I would go with Pocophone 128/6 … It fits all your needs but the pocket size, which I cannot guarantee, because it fits in mine, but pocket size could be different.

(I just got it and I feel great with it)
2nd August 2019, 04:43 PM |#11672  
Flag Schiedam
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaleg

I would go with Pocophone 128/6 … It fits all your needs but the pocket size, which I cannot guarantee, because it fits in mine, but pocket size could be different.

(I just got it and I feel great with it)

Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a look and it certainly looks interesting. It does have some drawbacks though:
* No NFC. I forgot to list this in my requirements; I don't use NFC that often but don't want to lose it in case I ever need it.
* Most of my recent phones had AMOLED displays, so I'm hesitant to move to a different display type.
* I don't know how good this brand is with regards to software updates and upgrades.

In the end I decided to stay with OnePlus and purchased a OnePlus 6 128GB; the last model with a headphone jack and I'm assuming this will receive the same updates/upgrades as the 6T.

Thanks,
Ruud
2nd August 2019, 09:31 PM |#11673  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello, currently i use Tp-Link Neffos C5, same as all phones before, after 2 years of use buttons work 1/3 times, battery is nearly dead and it never was the fastest phone in the first place.
I'm looking for something cheap but as powerful as possible. I don't care about the company, or the bloat wear but i definitely want it to be some popular model with strong lineage OS support. It's fine if unlocking it is bit more complicated than usual as long as it's possible. Im fine with something bulkier/ heavier for the sake of big battery. Don't care much about camera, speakers or nfc. Wireless charging would be nice but I'm not counting on that. As for the screen FullHD is fine.
Last time is used xda was in my htc desire hd days, nice to be back
3rd August 2019, 08:05 AM |#11674  
Flag Köping

More
Quote:

In the end I decided to stay with OnePlus and purchased a OnePlus 6 128GB; the last model with a headphone jack and I'm assuming this will receive the same updates/upgrades as the 6T.

Thanks,
Ruud

That sounds like a really lovely choice indeed, and I hope that you'll be happy with your new choice of cellphone, and I wouldn't be surprised if you will be.

And I also wanted to inform you that you got a PM from me here on XDA.
4th August 2019, 07:02 AM |#11675  
Flag Velletri, RM
Thanks Meter: 133

More
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a look and it certainly looks interesting. It does have some drawbacks though:
* No NFC. I forgot to list this in my requirements; I don't use NFC that often but don't want to lose it in case I ever need it.
* Most of my recent phones had AMOLED displays, so I'm hesitant to move to a different display type.
* I don't know how good this brand is with regards to software updates and upgrades.

Thanks,
Ruud

Glad you got a Oneplus, I was considering to take OP7, but in the end, the price drove me to Pocophone XD

About AMOLED, my brother has OnePlus 6T and when we are at the beach, my display looks better than his … So yes, pocophone is not LED, but it is very easy to use also in heavy light condition
4th August 2019, 09:01 AM |#11676  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I am looking for a smartphone with a lengh about 15 cm. I dont like big phones! I have to buy it from Amazon.es.

Xiaomi mi A3 and honor 10 are about 250€.
Which other models should i consider at this price range ?

Enviado do meu Redmi 4 através do Tapatalk
4th August 2019, 10:47 AM |#11677  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
If there ever is a successor to the PocoF1, probably worth to get. We will see..
5th August 2019, 12:19 AM |#11678  

More
My last post went unanswered so I'll ask again, under 200€ is there any better phone than Xiaomi Redmi note 7?
5th August 2019, 11:53 AM |#11679  
Thanks Meter: 149

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Emaleth~

My last post went unanswered so I'll ask again, under 200€ is there any better phone than Xiaomi Redmi note 7?

Depends on what you want.. I would take. Xiaomi mi A3 for that price with Android one ...
The Following User Says Thank You to lu99ke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lu99ke Ad-Free
5th August 2019, 12:29 PM |#11680  
Flag The Beautiful Appalachian Mts / KY/VA Coal Country
Thanks Meter: 280

More
Hello, my current phone is a CID 15 S5 G900V which means it's a Verizon model with unlockable bootloader. I run custom everything like most on here.

My problem is not only is my screen cracked but my aftermarket extended battery is almost shot (about 2 years old). This was a local trade in and I only paid 140 for a 1 year old S5.

I need a new phone or a new to me phone.
I'm also low on funds. I'm with Verizon because where I live they roam with data on their extended network (regional carrier Appalachian wireless). That being said prepaid won't work because you don't get to use the extended network.

Right now I could try to get a phone from Verizon like the a50 or g7. Or save up and get another like new used phone with unlocked bootloader.

My S5. S3, and Droid X were all rooted with custom ROMs and other bits.

I'd like to get a phone with a 6in+ screen and have it work on any network because I may leave big red. I'd like a removable battery, SD card, fingerprint reader, and IR blaster.

I'll probably have to do without a removable battery and IR blaster but need the big screen and SD card. I'd like my next phone to take better low light photos. I prefer AMOLED too. That's why I'm looking at a50 but the dev community might not last as long as the S3 or S5. Or be non existent. I'm not a gamer. But use everything else.

One other option is getting away from smart phones and going back to a dumb phone so I'm not reading news and stuff all the time. And not flashing ROMs all the time.

So I'm torn between what I should do.

Thanks for your help. I'd like to switch to ting which uses Sprint and T-Mobile. Sprint supposedly has extended coverage here too but requires a Sprint phone from what I've read.

I know this is a tough one. But I appreciate your advice. I don't keeps up with the latest and greatest.

One last thing. I've moved away from Google and use microg with nextcloud.

Edit. I'm sorry this is so long but it's better to have too much info than too little.
5th August 2019, 01:06 PM |#11681  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu99ke

Depends on what you want.. I would take. Xiaomi mi A3 for that price with Android one ...

Well, for me thats 170€ vs 240€.
Update:
There is a deal on Lenovo Z6 lite for 170€, it has snapdragon 710 over 660 from note 7 but there is a catch - so far no development on xda. Anyone has experience with lenovo's "zui"? And do you think there is any hope for lineage os in the future?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)