[Q] How do I flash a Verizon HTC Rezound to straight talk.

Search This thread

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor
its lega las the rezound comes even with stock latest update with unlocked gsm capabilities...you just have to make certain edits to get the 3g to work...i used an att based sim for straight talk and was able to get really good 3g with the proper modifications to build.prop, ril, and nv edits
When I said the legality is questionable, I meant using ESN/MEID cloning to switch it to another CDMA carrier.

GSM SIM swapping between phones is completely legal, and done often.

Uncleheff

Oct 21, 2013
Martinsville
its lega las the rezound comes even with stock latest update with unlocked gsm capabilities...you just have to make certain edits to get the 3g to work...i used an att based sim for straight talk and was able to get really good 3g with the proper modifications to build.prop, ril, and nv edits

How complicated are theses edits? I have no experience with doing build. My experience is strictly with rooting. I've rooted 2 Rezounds, a droid x2, LG Lucid, and my Nexus 7 (2012). Custom roms on the Nexus 7 and Rezound plus the Rezound is s-off.

sent from HTC One M8

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
How complicated are theses edits? I have no experience with doing build. My experience is strictly with rooting. I've rooted 2 Rezounds, a droid x2, LG Lucid, and my Nexus 7 (2012). Custom roms on the Nexus 7 and Rezound plus the Rezound is s-off.

sent from HTC One M8

i can easily set up a teamviewer session to show you..

Uncleheff

Oct 21, 2013
Martinsville
When can we do this?

sent from HTC One M8

---------- Post added at 06:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

i can easily set up a teamviewer session to show you..

He is hoping to get it working on straight talk this weekend. Is that possible and how much time will I need to dedicate to work with you on it? Thanks for all the quick replies and all the help. I really appreciate it.

sent from HTC One M8

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
Yea I can prolly do it tonight (Saturday) at around 7pm PST or Sunday around noonish...doesn't take very long at all...20 minutes max

Sent from my L1QU1D R3L4Y using xda-developers app

Reactions: Uncleheff

Uncleheff

Oct 21, 2013
Martinsville
Yea I can prolly do it tonight (Saturday) at around 7pm PST or Sunday around noonish...doesn't take very long at all...20 minutes max

Sent from my L1QU1D R3L4Y using xda-developers app

That would be unbelievable awesome if we could do it Saturday night!!! Would it be faster on a Chromebook or a laptop? He has a Chromebook and I have a really slow laptop (Compaq Presario) Windows 7, 1 gig of ram with lots of programs the kids put on there that slow it down lol

I pm you. Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Found this with the search function, it's from last year, not sure if it's still accurate.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1975953&highlight=straight
    "Flashing to Straight Talk" can vary, depending on how you want to go about it... Straight Talk has two types of service, CDMA and GSM, both of which will work on the Rezound to a varying degree.

The CDMA mode is as @mjones73 mentioned, and it required a donor phone to clone the ESN/MEID from to be activated. This will use Verizon service in 3G mode, which is kind of slow (about 600kbps in my area at best) but it will work. The practice of ESN cloning is... umm... questionable though technically possible.

The GSM mode requires a stockish global mode ROM, and a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM card from Straight Talk... Voice and SMS will work out of the box, MMS and data require a little tweaking. There are a few guides out there but @REV3NT3CH is working on a guide to get AT&T 4G on the Rezound... yes, I said 4G! I believe he also has/had 3G working on T-Mobile service with Straight Talk as well. Be patient, those guides will be coming soon, I know he is working on them and they should be ready soon.
    Um.. Typo maybe? Maybe I didn't read that right?
    I'm on Verizon and I get 4g fine.
    Maybe you meant GSM won't get 4g, or that Verizon phones won't get 4g on different networks?
    Lol.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Sorry, I meant a phone with Straight Talk service using Verizon towers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    As far as gsm goes I didn't even hafta do anything I just popped in my sim card to stock and I could do calls texts yes both sending and receiving (but this is on T-Mobile gsm which should be similar) I haven't found a ROM yet (I'm on PAC man right now) that I can't get everything working on it without too much trouble (I don't have a data plan but I can get MMS to work which works through data)

Edit: (I couldn't get Gsm working on the 4.4 ROM) but that's it

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda app-developers app

I'm actually working on a pure gsm kitkat for the rezound....i can also second that right now it doesnt work from straight flash....requires a few build.prop edits and to enter a special menu just to get calling and normal texting to work...data was hit or miss with the 4.4 on the main dev thread...i will also second that using a sim card for straight talk is much less of a hassle than actually flashing the carrier to your rezound and depending on the flash youll never be able to change your rom again without breaking the flash....i use their att version of their sim as tmobile has less likely of a chance to get 4g to ever work on the rezound.....i have gotten it to work with a certain model of their micro sim and sim adapter with a mass multitude of nv edits....
    OK been thinking about moving to straight talk with my Rezound. I'm already rooted with custom rom cm10.2. Can I just put in an AT&T straight talk sim card and get 4g coverage? If not are there steps I can do to get 4g working?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

no the highest you will get currently is 3g....however i am working on the NV edits (which is required to even get the 3g in the first place) to get full 4g which is only obtainable via the att micro sim and micro sim to normal sim adapter....also you will have to edit the apn settings to get data....same would go if you were to flash it....which just getting a sim is cheaper