Desktop apps ported to Windows RT

Search This thread

MinhBao92

May 18, 2011
Dundee, Scotland
www.mediafire.com/?8m0gjn4lwmsuby9
Please help me compiling this application. It is Dcom-3G software which allows Vietnamese to connect to the Internet through the USB modem. Inside the .rar is a version for Windows and one for Linux. I cannot find the Open Source of them. Hope you could help.

And one more. Please recompile Yahoo! Messenger :D

Thank you.

netham45

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2009
Denver
www.mediafire.com/?8m0gjn4lwmsuby9
Please help me compiling this application. It is Dcom-3G software which allows Vietnamese to connect to the Internet through the USB modem. Inside the .rar is a version for Windows and one for Linux. I cannot find the Open Source of them. Hope you could help.

And one more. Please recompile Yahoo! Messenger :D

Thank you.

That's using kernel-mode drivers, we don't have those unlocked right now.

truffle1234

Mar 16, 2007
Tokyo
outlook on surface

I know the outlook will only work on the pro surface... but I kind of miss it on surface and I am trying to get used to using imap protocol but I miss the POP3...

rheza02

May 20, 2006
someone really need to create tutorial how to compile for arm. are you guys compiling from visual studio 2012 ?

wahwka

Apr 3, 2010
you guys are awesome. Has anyone already looked into porting Tortoise SVN ? (preferably 1.6.16)

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Ooookay... a few points here:

1: I am glad to see all the interest in desktop software for RT! Shows that MS really screwed up on tis decision.
2: Stop asking for ports of closed-source software (Outlook, etc.)! How exactly am I supposed to recompile Yahoo Messenger without source code?? That said, I'm looking into porting Pidgin or another one of the open source multi-network IM clients. Thunderbird is also a good idea.
3: Although I'll do what I can, people should really be offering ports more than asking for them. This is a developer site, folks! If you have to ask somebody else to go download some source code, change some compiler flags, and hit the "build" button for you... that's sad.
4: Yes, I'd love to play Minecraft on the Surface. Don't hold your breath, though; Java for Windows uses some assembly, which mean an actual port (vs. a simple recompilation) will be required.
5: I'll look into Tortoise as well. I'm not actually a fan of the Tortoise family of tools - I prefer to use command line version control - but those tend to expect a *nix-based compilation environment and Tortoise might not.
6: Speaking of which, if anybody can get cross-compiling from MinGW (or straight from within Linux, for that matter) to Windows RT working, that would be great! An awful lot of open source software that is nominally available for Windows doesn't actually build using the Visual Studio compiler.

MinhBao92

May 18, 2011
Dundee, Scotland
Ooookay... a few points here:

1: I am glad to see all the interest in desktop software for RT! Shows that MS really screwed up on tis decision.
2: Stop asking for ports of closed-source software (Outlook, etc.)! How exactly am I supposed to recompile Yahoo Messenger without source code?? That said, I'm looking into porting Pidgin or another one of the open source multi-network IM clients. Thunderbird is also a good idea.
3: Although I'll do what I can, people should really be offering ports more than asking for them. This is a developer site, folks! If you have to ask somebody else to go download some source code, change some compiler flags, and hit the "build" button for you... that's sad.
4: Yes, I'd love to play Minecraft on the Surface. Don't hold your breath, though; Java for Windows uses some assembly, which mean an actual port (vs. a simple recompilation) will be required.
5: I'll look into Tortoise as well. I'm not actually a fan of the Tortoise family of tools - I prefer to use command line version control - but those tend to expect a *nix-based compilation environment and Tortoise might not.
6: Speaking of which, if anybody can get cross-compiling from MinGW (or straight from within Linux, for that matter) to Windows RT working, that would be great! An awful lot of open source software that is nominally available for Windows doesn't actually build using the Visual Studio compiler.

Then you cannot recompile software without its source code. Maybe I'm asking a little too much. One more dumb question, can you recompile Linux apps? (It's noob of me to think of a chance like that could be possible) Because I have no chance to request source code from the publisher (I'm totally a noob and I don't get any idea about source code or anything like that). Could you please recompile the D-com 3G app that I've posted here http://www.mediafire.com/?8m0gjn4lwmsuby9 ???Thank you. That could be the only app left to make Surface (Windows 8 RT) great for us Vietnamese user.

Last edited:

lilstevie

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2009
In experimenting with recompiling various .net software I have noticed that if it is that anything using WPF does not work, I have also started experimenting with writing my own .net software and coming up again with the same result. .net 4.5 + winforms applications are fine, .net4.5 + WPF is a no go

sirfergy

Mar 29, 2011
What is the likelihood of DOSBox getting ported? I see there is a Visual Studio project for it, but it depends on SDL. Can SDL be compiled with Visual Studio?

rheza02

May 20, 2006
I will try to compile application starting from this weekend, i still have two exam tomorrow. Wish me luck guys! you guys are awesome.

Then you cannot recompile software without its source code. Maybe I'm asking a little too much. One more dumb question, can you recompile Linux apps? (It's noob of me to think of a chance like that could be possible) Because I have no chance to request source code from the publisher (I'm totally a noob and I don't get any idea about source code or anything like that). Could you please recompile the D-com 3G app that I've posted here http://www.mediafire.com/?8m0gjn4lwmsuby9 ???Thank you. That could be the only app left to make Surface (Windows 8 RT) great for us Vietnamese user.

I know it's great to have 3g modem to use with your windows rt, the problem is you give us Installer. and It's impossible to make port from the Installer. Please just put request for open source program.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinhBao92

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@ijwhelan: I'm working on Python 2.7 right now (all our scripts are 2.x based) but if I can get it working, I'll tackle 3.3 next.

No guarantees. The thing is a mess of stuff that is incompatible with RT, from inline assembly to forcibly disabling ASLR (dear god, and I was using this on my work PC? Blech!)

EDIT: Python (2.7 or 3.3) is going to take a lot of work. The FFI (Foreign Function Interface) library is full of assembly. While it has been ported to ARM (on Linux) before, and therefore probably could be again (on Windows), it's not a trivial undertaking.

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@MinhBao92: Directly recompiling Linux apps, no. The problem there is twofold. First of all, the same problem as on normal x86/x64 Windows: the APIs are different between Windows and Linux (Windows uses Win32, Linux uses POSIX. Technically there's a POSIX subsystem in the NT kernel that actually can be used to recompile and run some Linux apps, but it's not widely used and is missing entirely in Windows RT). That means software written for Linux pretty much literally doesn't know how to talk to Windows for things like "open a file" or "create a thread". Second, there's the question of whether the software in question compiles under Visual Studio. Most Windows ports of Linux apps are actually built using GCC (the default compiler collection used on Linux) cross-compiling to Windows. While that works for the most part with x86, there's no guarantee it will work for ARM. I'll need to experiment and see whether I can persuade GCC to build Windows on ARM binaries.

Top Liked Posts