[Q]How to root and unlock the latest build

Search This thread

lzzar

Feb 10, 2012
Vimmerby
So I just picked up this device couple days ago. It's running 4.4.2
This has surely been asked before but how do I root this build? I only found TUTs for 4.3 here on xda

Thanks

PS. This is my first nexus device :D

//Sent from somewhere in your house

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
So I just picked up this device couple days ago. It's running 4.4.2
This has surely been asked before but how do I root this build? I only found TUTs for 4.3 here on xda

Thanks

PS. This is my first nexus device :D

Fastboot commands to unlock bootloader and install TWRP. Then flash a root zip.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: lzzar

lzzar

Feb 10, 2012
Vimmerby
okay so I unlocked the bootloader and flashed recovery. I can boot normally but not into recovery. it gives me the android with the red triangle.
I know the BL is unlocked cause I see the lock symbol at the Google screen
I tried both cwm and twrp

Help?

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
okay so I unlocked the bootloader and flashed recovery. I can boot normally but not into recovery. it gives me the android with the red triangle.
I know the BL is unlocked cause I see the lock symbol at the Google screen
I tried both cwm and twrp

Help?

It sounds like you still have the stock recovery installed instead of the custom one you're trying to flash. What command are you using to flash the custom recovery? It should be:

fastboot flash recovery [insert recovery filename here].img

Then, use the volume buttons to boot into recovery from the bootloader. Your custom recovery should boot up.

lzzar

Feb 10, 2012
Vimmerby
Yeah I used that command. I have used it before on my Optimus 3D

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Yeah I used that command. I have used it before on my Optimus 3D

Are you using the proper TWRP? You may try the command again.

Edit: In order to flash you have to CD from a folder containing adb.exe and fastboot.exe. Otherwise nothing will flash. Download this folder https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_nizg6yUZ0NbWNvZHFMR1h6LVE/preview?pli=1 and Stick TWRP in the folder. That folder was put together by Rootjunky.com http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6k4rCaMPSQ8

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: lzzar

lzzar

Feb 10, 2012
Vimmerby
Nevermind guys, I got it working! !
Changed a little stuff (usb port and cable, wiped data before flashing)

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
@lzzar Glad you got it figured out.

Short story for anyone who might find this thread after seeing the Red Triangle.

I saw an article on Android Police that there was 32gb refurbs for sale for $170. So, clearly we (XDA members) are not the same as normal users when it comes to troubleshooting and fixing problems. So, I bought my 2 sons 1 each and my wife 1 as well. While my sons are very young (single digit ages), I've taught them how to run code. The N7's arrived yesterday and after they went to bed, I fired up the computer and had all 3 tabs going at once updating from 4.3 to 4.4.2, charging, downloading,....

Unlocked all 3 Bl's and proceeded to install TWRP and ROM/Kernels. Point to remember is that I had too many things going on at once. On the very first recovery.img flash, I got the laying down android with red triangle. Flashed the recovery.img again and again the red triangle, all the while I was downloading ROMs and Kernels on my PC.

Then I realized what I was doing wrong. After flashing the recovery.img, I booted into the OS, then powered off and used the key combo to boot into recovery. Wrong!! What step did I miss? After flashing fastboot flash recovery recovery.img, I had forgotten to Volume up and boot into recovery from straight from there.

Once I realized my blunder, I was much happier. After that, it took me under an hour to install recoveries on all 3, flash ROMs and Franco r13, boot and reflashed SuperSU. Too many things going on at once and maybe a few too many drinks as well.

lzzar

Feb 10, 2012
Vimmerby
Yes, the exact same mistake with booting into OS after flashing was what I did too

Top Liked Posts