Play any video format on Fire TV

Search This thread

DHO

Jun 6, 2010
d-h-o.us
This is probably not anything new, but I didn't see it on Google so here we go:

Play any video file on Amazon Fire TV:
1) Get StickMount + install: http://www.firetvnews.com/how-to-play-media-files-from-external-usb-storage-on-amazon-fire-tv/
-- Yes you will need root: link in link above
2) Get MX Player: http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad
3) Sideload VLC just like you did with stickmount

Profit

edit:
I think this VLC works better. Still a little buggy. BUT 100% better than nothing
2) Get VLC: http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/?id=the.joevlc
edit 2
Replaced this VLC with MX it squashes bugs and wiorks 100% on FireTV, and H/w acceleration works just fine
http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad

Last edited:

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
What about music files?
I want to play some extremely high quality FLAC files (96khz 32bit and higher) that don't initially work on most devices.

I normally had to re-convert my 96khz 32bit FLAC files to a measly 44khz 24bit so they can play on my Trio T4300.

Can someone reccommend a way to play audiophile quality flac files on Fire TV?
Maybe some custom FLAC codec to install for obtaining higher quality FLAC support.

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
What about music files?
I want to play some extremely high quality FLAC files (96khz 32bit and higher) that don't initially work on most devices.

I normally had to re-convert my 96khz 32bit FLAC files to a measly 44khz 24bit so they can play on my Trio T4300.

Can someone reccommend a way to play audiophile quality flac files on Fire TV?
Maybe some custom FLAC codec to install for obtaining higher quality FLAC support.

For both broad video file format support and FLAC support, I recommend XBMC. You will find that a keyboard is helpful to connect when first setting it up if you're looking to define file paths on your home network. I play my media off of a NAS and XBMC is quite nice.

Adding it to the homescreen can be done by installing Lama, and then using a "sacrificial app" to launch xbmc as a condition of, essentially - you set a Lama trigger that says "when app X is running, run XBMC."

All of that can be done with sideloading - no root required, and although I used root to replace the Fire launcher with XBMC as a launcher, I'm told you can do the launcher swap with Lama as well.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Is there any less diffifcult app to install alongside a codec with full FLAC support.
I don't really care all that much about xbmc because it is designed like a swiss army knife for media when all I need right now is a standalone FLAC player with full 96khz+ and 32bit support.

DHO

Jun 6, 2010
d-h-o.us
For both broad video file format support and FLAC support, I recommend XBMC. You will find that a keyboard is helpful to connect when first setting it up if you're looking to define file paths on your home network. I play my media off of a NAS and XBMC is quite nice.

Adding it to the homescreen can be done by installing Lama, and then using a "sacrificial app" to launch xbmc as a condition of, essentially - you set a Lama trigger that says "when app X is running, run XBMC."

All of that can be done with sideloading - no root required, and although I used root to replace the Fire launcher with XBMC as a launcher, I'm told you can do the launcher swap with Lama as well.

I have had no luck with XBMC seeing thins on SUB sticks. It see the stick and folder, but will not find videos.
it was one of the first apps I installed...

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
I have had no luck with XBMC seeing thins on SUB sticks. It see the stick and folder, but will not find videos.
it was one of the first apps I installed...

Interesting. I just installed stickmount to test (I mostly have my keyboard in the USB slot) and was able to play a FLAC file, an AVI, a WMV and an MP4 file from the USB stick I put in.

I'm using the 13.1 that was modified to behave as a launcher, but as far as I know it's otherwise a pretty standard 13.1 build.

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Is there any less diffifcult app to install alongside a codec with full FLAC support.
I don't really care all that much about xbmc because it is designed like a swiss army knife for media when all I need right now is a standalone FLAC player with full 96khz+ and 32bit support.

Try sideloading MixZing? I think it does FLAC. I really like it on my phone and it knows about folders, which is helpful.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
I found a better one called JetAudio Basic.
It even has playback speed control with or without pitch shift.

I downloaded a 192khz 24bit FLAC test file,and it plays perfectly!

Edit:I found an even better one called DeadBeef.

I hope it isn't downsampling the 192khz FLAC file when playing it.
If so,can somebody reccommend a guaranteed 192khz FLAC player app?

Last edited:
Reactions: DHO

mscroggins

Jan 8, 2015
Ah yes.. I sideloaded this player to the wimpy firetv stick .. It works perfectly.. VLC seemed to want more power than the stick can provide. The combination of upnplay and bsplayer has worked out wonderfully..

n8dagr81978

Jul 20, 2016

* plays files with up to 192KHz sampling rate, including 24 bit and multichannel files

Claude Koch

Apr 11, 2015
For anyone reading this thread in 2016, don't waste your life on the advice here: just get Kodi/SPMC or MrMC.

ftgftg

Aug 12, 2013
Yeah, I use Kodi exclusively on my Fire TV Stick. No need for root or anything.

But ...

After I upgraded to Jarvis (16), I noticed it hung on some videos, including ones it played fine before. So I went back to the older Helix version.

If anyone knows what's going on, I'd appreciate it. Is Isengard as good/better/worse than the other versions?

The situation of Kodi on Android is not too great and getting worse.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
But apps like KODI are bulky swiss-army knives for media and many users reported issues with some even causing device instability when the app is not in use,what if someone wants a lightweight-but-powerful player for only music with full support for 192Khz?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The KFTV does not respond to any remote commands when playing a video in VLC. Not able to play/pause, rew/ff, etc. Any idea how to get it working proper?

hey use bsplayer, it works great. the fire tv remote works and it have dts. here's a link http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/69008312/file.html if you have a problem sending it through adb just rename it just bsplayer.