[ROM][ICS]Ideapad K1 Official Release

Search This thread

dodgepot

Jan 4, 2011
Las Vegas
Not sure if this is an issue witb the rom but when bluez ime and wifi are both connected wifi seems to drop out. Ill mess with it a bit more and ill see if it happens continually.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

mjb32803

Apr 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
OnePlus 7T
Is the ROM compatible with the 3g enabled version of the device too?

YES. 3G and WiFi are in the filename

---------- Post added at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 AM ----------

Not sure if this is an issue witb the rom but when bluez ime and wifi are both connected wifi seems to drop out. Ill mess with it a bit more and ill see if it happens continually.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I've noticed that wifi seems to disconnect very rapidly if you are not actively using it (to save battery?). But it does seem to reconnect very quickly when I go back to a wifi app.

khanning88

Apr 10, 2010
USA
Hi all,

Just wanted to post an update on my progress. I spent too much time looking into the app compatability issue with no progress so I had to move on for now.

This is the order I am tackling this new build:
Fix Custom Recovery - Completed
Rebuild device tree with new blobs - Completed
Complete stable ICS AOSP - In Progress
Complete stable JB AOSP - In Progress

The custom recovery.img we were using on past build no longer works with the new bootloader. Unfortunately, re-bulding the recovery with the new boot.img still would not allow me to boot into recovery. Turns out the issue was the kernel Lenovo provided was just too large to fit into the recovery partition. Mark released the kernel source code to me for testing and I was able to recompile the kernel with LZMA compression instead of GZIP. This reduced the size significantly, and now CWM recovery is fully functional.

I rebuilt my device tree with the new binaries included in the Lenovo ICS update. Between the updated libraries and the newer kernel there should be no issue compiling our own stable community AOSP rom for the K1.

I've compiled the initial version of ICS and JB with my rebuilt device tree. In the ICS build some issue's that plauged my ALPHA Rom are already resolved (HD Video Playback) and the Google Play store works perfectl (No app incompatibilities). There are still a few bugs that need to be worked out before a release.

The JB build also booted and appears very responsive, however it does have a few more bugs than the ICS build.

At this point my efforts will be directed towards completing and releasing the ICS AOSP rom and then onto jellybean. Once the device tree is completed it will be easy to compile other firmware's such as Cyanogenmod or AOKP if your interested.

Regards,
khanning

DrewVL

Apr 18, 2010
Beautiful British Columbia
Hi everyone,

As most of you know Lenovo released the official ICS build for the Ideapad K1 today. The new bootloader will not allow me to boot into recovery partition, so no custom recovery for now. Unfortunately the build released by Lenovo also lacked Google Apps. I have added in the latest Google Apps package including Face Unlock. I have posted two versions of the Rom both rooted and not rooted. The non rooted is 100% stock with Google Apps. The rooted has the latest Superuser.apk and su binary and the latest busybox, and the boot.img has been modified to allow adb remount.

This will wipe your entire device. You will lose all apps and data. I am in no way responsible for your device, as always flash at your own risk.

Instructions

Extract .zip file

In windows:
Double click flash-windows.bat

In linux:
cd into extracted directory
chmod +x flash-linux.sh
sudo ./flash-linux.sh

Downloads

K1_ICS_120607_Rooted.zip
b7762c0c83535eea9e542c6737bd1470

K1_ICS_120607_Stock.zip
68499815e3937b96e31dc49c1dd099b6

Enjoy!

Hi there,
Hope you could help me with my friend's K1, after installed to ICS official from Lenovo. Playstore is not there and when download apk there's no file manager to see it in app drawer. so I go on desktop browser to installed Astro File manager it's stalled but can't see in the K1 tablet.
Could you help please

Thanks,
Drew

Also is your non rooted version need certain steps to install it? and the google play apps work? sorry for the stupid question

erickwan

Sep 17, 2011
khanning88,

So what can we do with the app incompatibility issue for now?
This issue is very annoying as I have to side-load those apps X(

khanning88

Apr 10, 2010
USA
Hi there,
Hope you could help me with my friend's K1, after installed to ICS official from Lenovo. Playstore is not there and when download apk there's no file manager to see it in app drawer. so I go on desktop browser to installed Astro File manager it's stalled but can't see in the K1 tablet.
Could you help please

Thanks,
Drew

Also is your non rooted version need certain steps to install it? and the google play apps work? sorry for the stupid question

The Lenovo version does not include Google Apps. If you use my non-rooted version it will come with Google Apps installed. There are some issues with app compatibility right now (Google Maps, Chrome, etc) but they can be sideloaded for the time being. I'm currently working on my own AOSP build, which does not have issues with app compatibility. Hopefully I will be able to release it soon.

For now just go to the first post and download K1_ICS_120607_Stock.zip and follow the instructions.

Unfortunately I can't figure out whats causing the issue on Lenovo's build. I tried everything I thought might be causing it. All I know is when I compile ICS from AOSP I do not have the issues with app compatibility. Maps, Chrome, etc all show up and install fine.

me_is_rushin

Oct 17, 2010
Dallas
This is awesome news Khanning! Glad someone out there is supporting my dear little tab. Just a college student here, but you can expect a donation coming your way once we get some AOSP goodness.

Thanks again!

Dueces99

Mar 7, 2011
Hi all,

Just wanted to post an update on my progress. I spent too much time looking into the app compatability issue with no progress so I had to move on for now.

The custom recovery.img we were using on past build no longer works with the new bootloader. Unfortunately, re-bulding the recovery with the new boot.img still would not allow me to boot into recovery. Turns out the issue was the kernel Lenovo provided was just too large to fit into the recovery partition. Mark released the kernel source code to me for testing and I was able to recompile the kernel with LZMA compression instead of GZIP. This reduced the size significantly, and now CWM recovery is fully functional.

I rebuilt my device tree with the new binaries included in the Lenovo ICS update. Between the updated libraries and the newer kernel there should be no issue compiling our own stable community AOSP rom for the K1.

I've compiled the initial version of ICS and JB with my rebuilt device tree. In the ICS build some issue's that plauged my ALPHA Rom are already resolved (HD Video Playback) and the Google Play store works perfectl (No app incompatibilities). There are still a few bugs that need to be worked out before a release.

The JB build also booted and appears very responsive, however it does have a few more bugs than the ICS build.

At this point my efforts will be directed towards completing and releasing the ICS AOSP rom and then onto jellybean. Once the device tree is completed it will be easy to compile other firmware's such as Cyanogenmod or AOKP if your interested.

Regards,
khanning

Phenomenal news khanning! Not only have you answered the call of fixing most of the ICS issues, but juggling that with JB?? I don't think this community realizes how fortunate we are to have such a devoted developer pumping new life into the K1. Again, if you need any kind of testing done flashing experimental early stage os's, my K1 is at your disposal.

Robert

mjb32803

Apr 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
OnePlus 7T
I really want to get ICS on my K1. But I want all the Google apps, the thread about that said it was no go. Is there an easy way to get them installed. Is CWM possible to flash to flash the gapps?

This ROM (rooted version) includes basic GApps (Play Store, Talk), you can then go and download Voice, etc (whichever ones the Play Store says are compatible with the K1). I believe the NON rooted version includes the full GApps?

Last edited:

zapher67

Aug 22, 2006
Sydney
Hi all,

Regards,
khanning

Great work thanks khanning. Another hand up for testing should you require the help. ATM my k1 is ICS rooted and working but unusable due to the apps store issue. Holding off returning to HC for the moment.

gilberthcordova

Apr 6, 2011
Lima
Hi all,

Regards,
khanning

Can you put links to test? :fingers-crossed:

linuxluver

Aug 21, 2009
Auckland
3dluver.blogspot.com
APX drivers for Win7 64-bit?

I know this is probably a dumb question but do I need the apx drivers installed? I'm having problems getting them installed with the official lenovo package ones... Maybe someone could link me to a different place to find them...

(R)EVOLTE

Same issue here. Win7 64-bit.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

I just flashed rooted rom... all was well... I then proceeded to copy some of the APKs off my Samsung GS3 to sideload on the K1. I was copying from phone to the K1 through a Win7x64 machine. In the middle of copying the files, K1 goes black and will not wake up. I hold power down and then power on. I get the Lenovo logo, but then nothing at all. Am going to try reflashing as it seems I can still get back into recovery mode.
Update: Reflashed with rooted ROM and everything seems back to normal. No idea what cause that glitch.

I see people here and on the Lenovo site talking about 64-bit Win7 drivers, but so far haven't found anyone saying how they got them...other than "acer",....which isn't enough detail to be useful.

Can someone give a link to the APX drivers for 64-bit Win7? (I also use Mint Linux 64-bit, but haven't tried that bundle yet).

Thanks.

mjb32803

Apr 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
OnePlus 7T

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

I see people here and on the Lenovo site talking about 64-bit Win7 drivers, but so far haven't found anyone saying how they got them...other than "acer",....which isn't enough detail to be useful.

Can someone give a link to the APX drivers for 64-bit Win7? (I also use Mint Linux 64-bit, but haven't tried that bundle yet).

Thanks.

The APX drivers are part of the rom ZIP file in the folder /usbpcdriver. Both 32 and 64 bit drivers are there. Do not dive any deeper into the subfolders. Install the driver using the .inf file in the parent folder /usbpcdriver.

Some may experience a similar problem I had on my main PC. I have installed and uninstalled probably 5 or 6 different android usb drivers over the years.. and now my system would not even recognize when I plugged in the K1 in recovery mode. However, I STRONGLY suggest trying it on a VIRGIN machine. I did so on an Acer Windows 7 x64 netbook, and everything detected, installed and flashed flawlessly.

If this sounds like a situation you are experiencing. TRY A DIFFERENT MACHINE, preferably one that haven't had all different types of android drivers installed / uninstalled over the years. Windows may just be "confused".

---------- Post added at 04:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 AM ----------

Thanks.

The APX drivers are part of the rom ZIP file in the folder /usbpcdriver. Both 32 and 64 bit drivers are there. Do not dive any deeper into the subfolders. Install the driver using the .inf file in the parent folder /usbpcdriver.

Some may experience a similar problem I had on my main PC. I have installed and uninstalled probably 5 or 6 different android usb drivers over the years.. and now my system would not even recognize when I plugged in the K1 in recovery mode. However, I STRONGLY suggest trying it on a VIRGIN machine. I did so on an Acer Windows 7 x64 netbook, and everything detected, installed and flashed flawlessly.

If this sounds like a situation you are experiencing. TRY A DIFFERENT MACHINE, preferably one that haven't had all different types of android drivers installed / uninstalled over the years. Windows may just be "confused".

Again, thanks KHanning for the awesome start. ICS is working pretty flawlessly from what I've been able to test. Font and Back Camera, GPS, GrooveIP, Bluetooth, Headset w/mic, GTalk, GVoice, GMaps, GMAIL, Chrome, Face Lock.... can access external SDCARD @ /mnt/SDCARD2. Both Internal and SDCARD show up when I connect data cable to windows 7 x64 machine.

Using Nova Launcher. Quadrant Score around 2500

Last edited:

Dueces99

Mar 7, 2011
Installation of this rom was painless, I flashed the rooted ics, moved the flash_win.bat file into the files root directory, for whatever reason running the .bat as Administrator (Win7x64/ opp. click 'Run As..') didn't do anything versus double clicking the file started right away.

To add on to the compatibility issue, I havent tried changing the build.prop just yet, wanted to see what was and wasnt showing up for apps. So far, Ive noticed the compability issue is not totally consistent. Any of the Angry Birds, most of the Weather Apps/Widgets (Paid and Free), show up as NOT compatible.

One consistent thing I have noticed (hopefully others can confirm this) is every Tool/Utility/Benchmark app I've tried is in fact compatible and shows up in the play store. Pretty much any app either directly linked/related to the hardware does show up. Off the top of my head ones Ive seen so far: Antutu, setCPU, BusyBox, Smart Tools, Quadrant, System Tuner... Might come to no surprise to someone else, but this is the only consistent thing I've seen so far when it comes to Apps that DO show up with an unaltered build.prop on the rooted khanning ICS rom. Hopefully this might help in determining the culprit for App compatibility.

Another note khanning, using the Camera Effects, any of the Silly Faces Ive tried crash the app instantly upon selection, although the Backgrounds in Effects do work looks like a poor attempt at a green screen but that seems application specific. Also, I can confirm like others' previous posts the Dictionary does show all my words as misspelled, didnt think it would effect but for Ex.: Installed a weather widget, went to add a location and typed my city/state = nothing showed up cause it was showing it as the wrong spelling, opted for the 'Find Me' location using gps = worked right away...

Either way, the rooted ICS rom runs extremely smooth, Quadrant score ~2450-2500. Even with live wallpaper, couple widgets, numerous apps/games/background processes running, flipping from one home screen to another or bringing up Apps/Widgets folder I still see no page tearing, no lag which would most definately be happening on my previous rom (14_14 rooted). Outside of the Camera effects, seems like I've been trying to crash this thing, freeze something, or lock up the system and it just keeps chugging along. I'm sure thats due most in part to Android's ICS itself, but Lenovo releasing it in the 'vanilla' state probably didnt hurt either.

The only thing I miss from the HC roms (OEMs or rooted) was the trademark nVidia logo/soundbyte that happens upon turning the tablet on. I understand this is a cosmetic critique while there's still bugs being worked out, I just share an affinity with nVidia/eVGA products and figured I'd throw the suggestion out there, do what you will with it..

All in all, EXTREMELY stable rom and cant wait to try out your AOSP ICS when it's available khanning. Lemme know if you need any testing, I'll have the next couple days off to tinker.

Robert

Last edited:

Cybie257

Aug 17, 2011
Salem, OR
Any possibility the compatibility has something to do with screen density?

Sent from my K1 using Tapatalk 2

I've been playing around with the screen density issue and doesn't seem to change things. I've even downloaded an app from the market that makes changing the density a breeze with a few clicks, allowing me to test a lot of them. As of now, using Google Maps as a test app, nothing seems to change the compatibility issue.

Seems that this isn't a problem that is easily solved with a lot of devices and ROMs, including some custom ROMs. I've researched a lot into this hoping to provide a solution as I am very enthusiastic about learning to develop with my tablet. Tried with my phone in the past, but tough because I can't live without my phone, but I can without my tablet if I were to break it. Although, with APX recovery, it's tough to brick this thing. :)

I'm not giving up, though, so when/if I do find a solution before khanning comes out with his Custom ROM that doesn't have this issue, then I will post asap. It will be exciting to find a fix for all of you before khanning, who knows what he's doing... :D

-Cybie

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Go to this link http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=35593

Click on the "Star this issue" for support. The more support for this, the more likely something might be done. The "Star this issue link" went away after I click on it, so I am guessing at the actual name. Just find the link that shows your support. :)

-Cybie

Adrixan

Feb 6, 2008
Hi there,

any 'official' word on what is best to do right now? Is a ROM release with CWM cooked in imminent? Or will the JB port be done soon? In other words, does it make sense to upgrade to this ROM or should I rather wait a few more days and get more complete goodness?

Thanks for any reply!

palmy999

Oct 25, 2011
Ga-zillion thanks to khanning88 for the wonderful work.

Just FYi for those who has problem upgrading (since I "got banned" from Lenovo website from no reason at all - can read but website tells me I am banned when I tried to logon/register).

I had the APX driver from http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad...1-Stock-Rom-120109-Bootloader-Fix/td-p/713621

When I started flashing, the flash always stopped at "Formatting partition 12 UDA please wait.. done!"

After a couple of tries, I realized the version of APX is newer in Khanning's ZIP file. So I tried that but Windows 7 32bit tells me the driver is newer in my system.

After uninstalling the driver and tried Khanning's version, I still can't install it for some reason. Restarted K1 in APX mode, no go :(

So I reinstalled the driver from the above Lenovo thread and re-flash. This time it works!!!

Hope someone finds this helpful.

brainchill

Oct 8, 2006
What am I missing here?

I am trying to download these files and the download links no longer work and if I forum or google search it all it does it take me to dozens of pages linked to the same broken links ...

I would understand if this were years old but it's not even a month old ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

As most of you know Lenovo released the official ICS build for the Ideapad K1 today. The new bootloader will not allow me to boot into recovery partition, so no custom recovery for now. Unfortunately the build released by Lenovo also lacked Google Apps. I have added in the latest Google Apps package including Face Unlock. I have posted two versions of the Rom both rooted and not rooted. The non rooted is 100% stock with Google Apps. The rooted has the latest Superuser.apk and su binary and the latest busybox, and the boot.img has been modified to allow adb remount.

This will wipe your entire device. You will lose all apps and data. I am in no way responsible for your device, as always flash at your own risk.

Instructions

Extract .zip file

In windows:
    Double click flash-windows.bat

In linux:
    cd into extracted directory
    chmod +x flash-linux.sh
    sudo ./flash-linux.sh

Downloads

K1_ICS_120607_Rooted.zip
    b7762c0c83535eea9e542c6737bd1470
    Mirror

K1_ICS_120607_Stock.zip
    68499815e3937b96e31dc49c1dd099b6
    Mirror

Enjoy!
    Hi all,

Regards,
    khanning
    Any solutions for installing cwm recovery on this rom?
    I have rooted device without CWM Recovery
    Any progress...

Sent from my K1

Windows 7/8 :

Copy k1recovery to /system/bin, set permission rwx r-x r-x

Download the recovery.img (copy to folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools )

Install CWM - adb mode

adb push recovery.img /mnt/sdcard/
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.backup
    dd if=/mnt/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1

Recovery adb or terminal : k1recovery
    Hi there,
    Could you help please

Thanks,
    Drew

The Lenovo version does not include Google Apps. If you use my non-rooted version it will come with Google Apps installed. There are some issues with app compatibility right now (Google Maps, Chrome, etc) but they can be sideloaded for the time being. I'm currently working on my own AOSP build, which does not have issues with app compatibility. Hopefully I will be able to release it soon.

For now just go to the first post and download K1_ICS_120607_Stock.zip and follow the instructions.

Unfortunately I can't figure out whats causing the issue on Lenovo's build. I tried everything I thought might be causing it. All I know is when I compile ICS from AOSP I do not have the issues with app compatibility. Maps, Chrome, etc all show up and install fine.
    You need to drill down to /mnt to see sdcard2 uploadfromtaptalk1343426736770.jpg

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk