Hey guys! I want to see if I can get your opinion.
I'm looking into buying a tablet. My requirements are as follows:
- The main thing I'll be using it for will be for media (movies and TV shows), reading books, comics, and magazines, a little gaming, and general usage. Mostly video.
- I'm trying to look for a device that's preferably 9-10 inches.
- As I'll be using this for media, I want to look at something that has a relatively high definition screen.
- Battery life should be at least good, if not excellent, as I'll be traveling with this.
- Runs Kitkat, is capable of being rooted, and can run Xposed.
- As fast a device as I can get for this money.
- Not more than $250. Including shipping.
Also, I'd prefer something that doesn't run an MTK chip.
Now with these in mind, Chinese tablets seem to fit the bill pretty well. The ones I've looked at are the Teclast X98 3G, the Teclast P98 Air, and the Teclast P90HD.
The X98 3G and P98 Air have good displays, are the newest devices they've released, but the rooting-and-ROM scene with the X98 3G looks like a headache. Some people lose their touch screen after flashing, some people's displays get reversed. Especially with the 3rd hardware revision, which is the one I'm likely to get. The X98 is capable of running Win8.1 - albeit after blood and pain and suffering - and that's a plus, although one I doubt I'll ever use. The P98 Air is a relatively new device, with an Allwinner processor (anyone have any reviews on this?) and I'm not too sure whether I'll be able to root this one or not. Plus, it has a smaller battery than the X98, does not have in-built 3G, and is the same price. And can't run Win8.1. The problem with these 2 devices is the screen aspect ratio, a 4:3 display, which isn't ideal for watching widescreen-format videos, which is what I'll be spending a lot of time doing.
The P90HD has a slightly smaller but gorgeous, sharper retina display, and because it's built to a 16:10 aspect ratio, it's perfect for videos, even more so than the two I mentioned above. The device is rooted, and Kitkat 4.4.4 has been ported, with multi-window. The problems with this are that it has a marginally smaller battery - which doesn't last very long - and a Rockchip processor, which I know nothing about, although I'd be willing to bet the Intel processor in the X98 would perform better, its gaming prowess pretty decent due to the Intel graphics. At least, that's what I think. Does anyone have first-hand experience with the Rockchip processor in this?
So what would you guys advise? Bite the bullet and buy one now? Or hold out for a couple more months in the hopes something new comes out? I'll be able to wait only for a couple months, though. After that, ordering from aliexpress will be difficult.