[Updated] Cracks in case! Let us file a complaint @ SE

Search This thread

vincew

Nov 6, 2008
Amsterdam
Be sure to check your X1 out, a while ago now I noticed a crack in my phone after someone else on a Dutch forum telling that he had a crack in his phone.

Decided to check mine out and found out that I have a crack in mine...

scheur3.jpg

Be sure to check out your X1, if you have a crack send me a PM with a photo and the color of your X1 as well as the production week, branded or unbranded and the country you bought it in.
There have been other people reporting to have the same crack, as well as a crack in the battery compartment (I am lucky to not have that) but be sure to check it out for yourself:

Update:

100_0775.jpg

I just found out a few days ago that my case has started to show more cracks. Ever since I discovered the initial cracks in my case I haven't touched my stylus, and check above what happened... I am so pissed off right now. Also because of the super bad service from the T-Mobile shop, who still hasn't called me back.

Edit 2:

A picture from another users, who has a nasty crack in his phone. As you can see it is from week 44, mine is from the same week. In regard to my previous edit, another crack has formed near the other side of the stylus insert and the paint is starting to come off now. Maybe we should write a letter to Sony Ericsson and ask them to take all the phones from week 44 back... :eek:

Edit 3:

Bad Xperia list:

The info I will put up is: username: branded or unbranded (country), production week -> type of crack / other fault

01. vincew: Silver T-Mobile branded (Netherlands), 08W44 -> cracked near stylus at two places, paint coming off
02. wickedwy: Silver Unbranded (Netherlands) 08W44 -> cracked at the back
03. LZF: Silver Unbranded (Netherlands) 08W44 -> cracked at the back
04. andyboo - Silver (UK) 08W?? - stylus
05. comeradealexi - Black Vodafone branded (UK) 08W?? - cracked near stylus
06. Dryw Filtiarn - Silver 08w?? - cracked near stylus
07. boomdijk - Silver 08W?? - cracked near stylus
08. jeehaa1 - Silver Unbranded (Netherlands) 08W46 - cracked near stylus
09. brewspec - Silver T-Mobile branded (Netherlands) 08W?? - cracked near stylus
10. markda2000 - Silver 08W44 - cracked near stylus
11. Ganondolf - Silver Unbranded (UK) 08W43 - cracked near stylus
12. hvsanten - Silver Vodafone Branded 08W44 - cracked near stylus
13. YYYYY - Black 08W42 - cracked at the back
14. jackleung - Silver 08W44 - cracked at the back
15. bigmouth66 - Silver T-Mobile branded (Netherlands) 08W44 -> cracked at the back and more
16. geertbargeman - Silver (Netherlands) 08W44 -> paint coming off near stylus
17. kakalak - Black 08W46 -> cracked near battery and another pic
18. myriade - Black unbranded (Germany) 08W45 -> Plastic broken out on the side
19. VampiruX - Silver unbranded (France) 08W44 -> Cracked near stylus
20. blitz82 - Silver T-Mobile branded (Netherlands) -> Cracked near stylus
21. experia1234 - o2 branded (UK) 08W46 -> Cracked near stylus
22. m@rco - Silver T-Mobile Branded (Netherlands) 08W44, Cracked near stylus
23. emwdava - Silver (Sweden) 08W39, cracked at the back (battery compartment
24. endebe - Silver Vodafone branded (Austria) 08W46, cracked on the side

Update: Jan. 21 2009

I've stopped updating the list of cracks, simply because I do not have the time anymore. What I did with my X1 is send it back to T-Mobile and after 10 working days I got a brand new one. I encourage all that have a crack in their phone to contact the seller and get a replacement. This is a common and acknowledged problem, you should be able to a get a fixed one or a replacement under warranty.

Last edited:

mobmanX

Nov 15, 2008
yep - i've got a crack there! not as big as that picture - it hasn't met up with the stylus holder yet...

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer
I'm going to get mine swapped under VFs 1 month of free insurance as mine decided to jump under the wheels of a hgv * as I was knocked off my bike whilst cycling to work this morning. :(

* thankfully it was the only thing except my jacket that got damaged.

Kevin_seymer

Oct 11, 2008
No crack here on the phone thanks god, I live in Sweden, but all you with a crack should return it direct!

vincew

Nov 6, 2008
Amsterdam
Well I just came back from the T-Mobile shop here in Amsterdam.

Because I was over the 8 days returning period I did not get a new one. Also they haven't heard of the problem yet.

So they told me they'd e-mail the HQ and wait for a reply. Went home with empty hands... :( (Left my phone number behind so they would call me after they had a reply)

Called T-Mobile customer services on my way home and they told me to send it in for a repair?! While the shop just told me to leave it like this and wait... Arght! Arses!

I also called SE just now (here in NL on nr. 0900 8998318, choose option 1) and they told me they had no reports on this issue. They told me to wait and see what T-Mobile said.

I want to encourage everyone who has this problem to call Sony Ericsson. Maybe we can achieve the same thing with the Xbox360 and the disc scratching. In the beginning they denied, till they got a lot of complaint...

mobmanX

Nov 15, 2008
Another thing i noticed on my almost new x1 (i've mentioned this in another forum) is that the clear plastic covering the rear camera is cracked. The plastic film is very thin so i wont be at all supprised if a few other people encounter this problem sooner or later. Another one to watch out for....

n4v1n

Aug 3, 2008
one way to prevent or at least slow down the wear and tear on the stylus port is to take the stylus STRAIGHT out of the port and not pulling it out towards you in a slanted motion. THis could also lead to the cracking etc.

Alex Atkin UK

Jan 4, 2007
Had mine nearly 2 weeks now, cannot see any problems except the dirt getting stuck under the edge of the screen inset and the battery panel being loose. The latter was fixable and former, well you just have to be careful cleaning the screen.

I am keeping my X1 in a soft pouch when in my coat, seems to be keeping it scratch free as I have never found a screen protector I was happy with.

No cracks so far that I can see.

jan_hut

Nov 11, 2008
I have mine for 2 weeks now. And last week another one arrived. I never ordered 2 of them and I know this to be a mistake. The first one worked for a day or two, then all of a sudden I'm not connecting to the network anymore. This could be just because I'm migrating from anoher provider. My contract starts today, the migration including my phonenumer should be completed the 24th. Obviously I'm not sending the 2nd device backbefore things are working properly. Reading these posts about cracks and all have persuaded me to take my time in returning the 2nd unit.

Customers in Holland btw should call 09009 XPERIA (973742) and have their IMEI ready. According to the the special service for X1 leaflet they can even send you a replacement by courier.

Also bear in mind that this is a business-tool that you use on a daily basis. Dutch laws state that repair times must be "reasonable". That means it is generally longer for a dvd player than for a laundry machine. The law states that inconvenience for the customer should be kept to a minimum. Since the X1 is a daily use device you can demand a repairtime of less than 2 weeks. If the seller cannot guarantee you that they are obliged to either replace the unit with a new one or give you a temporary device while your unit is in repair.

Last edited:

vincew

Nov 6, 2008
Amsterdam
I have mine for 2 weeks now. And last week another one arrived. I never ordered 2 of them and I know this to be a mistake. The first one worked for a day or two, then all of a sudden I'm not connecting to the network anymore. This could be just because I'm migrating from anoher provider. My contract starts today, the migration including my phonenumer should be completed the 24th. Obviously I'm not sending the 2nd device backbefore things are working properly. Reading these posts about cracks and all have persuaded me to take my time in returning the 2nd unit.

Customers in Holland btw should call 09009 XPERIA (973742) and have their IMEI ready. According to the the special service for X1 leaflet they can even send you a replacement by courier.

Also bear in mind that this is a business-tool that you use on a daily basis. Dutch laws state that repair times must be "reasonable". That means it is generally longer for a dvd player than for a laundry machine. The law states that inconvenience for the customer should be kept to a minimum. Since the X1 is a daily use device you can demand a repairtime of less than 2 weeks. If the seller cannot guarantee you that they are obliged to either replace the unit with a new one or give you a temporary device while your unit is in repair.

Didn't know that! Nice info! ;) Where can I find the info about the repair time?

Also can you can tell if the replacement by courier works for the X1 you get with T-Mobile aswell? Since I bought mine with a T-Mobile contract!

* Wonders if jan_hut is an ex member of Divxstation.com? ;)

jan_hut

Nov 11, 2008
The replacement by courier is stated explicitly in the warranty card as a service to travelers in "most" regions. Obviously there are some places on the planet where couriers don't go, like the middle of the Sahara or something. But a condition is that you have to be traveling OUTSIDE of the country where you bought the device. Also the device must be non functional. A crack in the case while the device functions as it should is not a valid reason for replacement.
Sony warranty also states that it is at the sellers discretion whether to replace the unit or send it in for repair. Sony will replace or refund the unit to the seller should they choose to replace instead of repair. The reason why most sellers still opt for repair is because there is quite some administrative paperwork attached to the replacement procedure.

DS oh yeah........over 5000 posts there :) How have you been Vince?

andyboo

Nov 5, 2008
Be sure to check your X1 out, yesterday I noticed a crack in my phone after someone else on a dutch forum telling that he had a crack in his phone.

Decided to check mine out and found out that I have a crack in mine...

scheur3.jpg

There have been other people reporting to have the same crack, as well as a crack in the battery compartment (I am lucky to not have that) but be sure to check it out for yourself:

http://picasaweb.google.com/r2l.ruben/081117ProbleemSEX1#

I am going back to the T-Mobile shop in the afternoon to see if I can get my phone swapped. The thing is that the receipt says that I can change the product within 8 days whenever there is a malfunction. I am at 11 days now... :( Hope they will be nice enough to help me!

Please post a message in this thread if you have a crack in your case. We have to do something about this.

I have it exactly were you have it cracked =[ but not as bad as yours..... and im also in australia were the X1 isnt out yet. I got mine from Clove.co.uk....wonder if they will offer any solution to this ><

Xof_

Nov 9, 2008
I compared the black version with the silver version and I noticed that the silver version uses different material than the black version around the stylus. The black version has some kind of rubber and the silver version uses plastic. So I think this only happens with the silver X1?

Nippero

Oct 13, 2008
New York, NY
Is that actually true? I thought they were both plastic. Actually, before i saw this thread, I thought they were both rubber :\

You guys think something like invisibleShield or clearcoat will help prevent cracks like that, assuming its due to pulling the stylus out at an angle?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just the last few postings should be followed by a public outcry! This is far beyond NOT acceptable anymore!

Somehow we should form a class action law suit unless SE is willing to refund, pay and/or make up for this!

On the other hand, if we count ALL the people that have reported this crack HERE, it won'd be enough to make SE even get out of bed in the morning!

That was always the problem, last screwup they did which affected me was the P990i phone. Even more people all over the forums popped up .... but nothing happened...SE was not forced to anything and never admitted to anyting.

Unless you see a public statement from SE, just some employees "admitting" does not mean anything for us, for real!

This latest case here is just outragious