Linux and Android for Vogue [kernel thread]

Search This thread

kylo77

Jul 7, 2008
Are there any changes in the default.txt that need to be made? Or is it not even getting to the point where that is being executed?

kylo77

Jul 7, 2008
I started reading through the entire thread and found your postings to data.img and system.img file from the sd card before trying to reinstall...did that, reloaded and it launched.

Now I just have to get to know the controls.

thanks for your help!

pchasco

Mar 15, 2008
dzo:

I'm trying to work on a solution to the ppp dial problem when I noticed that Android has my sdcard mounted to /sdcard AND I can even browse it. Android's music player however claims that I have no SD card. Is it possible that Android is looking somewhere else besides /sdcard?

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
dzo:

I'm trying to work on a solution to the ppp dial problem when I noticed that Android has my sdcard mounted to /sdcard AND I can even browse it. Android's music player however claims that I have no SD card. Is it possible that Android is looking somewhere else besides /sdcard?

Before using the Music app, you need to go into Developer Apps and run the Media Scanner utility. This scans your SD card and (I assume) populates a database of some sort with all your music files. It takes like a second or two on my 1GB card, but I've only got a handful of songs on there atm. After running Media Scanner, you can use the Music app just fine.

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
Anyone know of an alternative way to access a shell in Android? I'm on Telus in Canada, and it would seem that they are blocking telnet access to my phone. That makes me a sad panda.

Komofu

Mar 13, 2008
I just installed this on my HTC Touch for Alltel that wasn't updated to Rev A. My radio is 2.26.00 this works wonderful can send and receive phone calls and send sms. My volume buttons increase and decrease the size is this normal?

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Anyone know of an alternative way to access a shell in Android? I'm on Telus in Canada, and it would seem that they are blocking telnet access to my phone. That makes me a sad panda.

Open the kbd and press sym 0 to get a console and sym 6 to go back to the UI. It doesn't work that well though because keypresses still go to android as well as the console. For remote shell access you could compile ssh for android and get it to connect to a server and tunnel telnet to your phone, you could also probably do the same with nc which is on the phone already.

pchasco

Mar 15, 2008
How hard would it be to set up a link via USB? It's difficult to work on ppp when you need ppp for the telnet session.

fletch259

Mar 14, 2006
Thanks for the hard work dzo, is anyone else having trouble inputting their voicemail #? Everytime I try to save it, it says "unsuccessful." I just add a new contact named Voicemail as a workaround.

cr2

Jan 15, 2005
dzo, have you managed to control the pmic registers ? i can watch some A2M_INT3 activity, but still it's too complex to understand what's going on there...

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
dzo, have you managed to control the pmic registers ? i can watch some A2M_INT3 activity, but still it's too complex to understand what's going on there...

As i understand it power management is all done by the arm9, on vogue a2mint3 is the modem int, 4 is for data, 5 is smsm, 6 is proc_comm and 1 and 2 are for rpc. the rpc stuff should be the same for you, there is a table near the start of smem (0xb5100000 under wince) that holds the address of the rpc channels (one for commands, one for replies) and other data structures, see vogue-smd.c and smd-private.c

hope this helps, email me if you want more info.

unsungboxer

May 28, 2008
Martin,

If one were to partition their SD card to an ext format (i.e. partition my 2gb card into 1gb fat16/1gb ext), would Android be able to read and write to that partition. (pics/videos/music/etc)?

magicalan

Jan 18, 2008
Google Pixel 6 Pro
when i open the program i get this

Please wait.... extract system image
zip:/sdcartd/system.gs(cant really tell what that is the gs maybe its something else) : no such file or directory
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[3.300000] SMD:ch3 CLOSED --> OPENED
[3.300000] SMD:ch2 CLOSED --> OPENED

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
when i open the program i get this

Please wait.... extract system image
zip:/sdcartd/system.gs(cant really tell what that is the gs maybe its something else) : no such file or directory
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[3.300000] SMD:ch3 CLOSED --> OPENED
[3.300000] SMD:ch2 CLOSED --> OPENED

make sure you have all the latest files downloaded.

then place system.gz in the root of your card, then
place data.gz in the root of your card.

place all other files somewhere on the device (maybe in the root in a folder called ANDROID for example)

have you already done all this?

also, be sure to have any and all other files named system or data removed from the root of the storage card.

magicalan

Jan 18, 2008
Google Pixel 6 Pro
make sure you have all the latest files downloaded.

then place system.gz in the root of your card, then
place data.gz in the root of your card.

place all other files somewhere on the device (maybe in the root in a folder called ANDROID for example)

have you already done all this?

also, be sure to have any and all other files named system or data removed from the root of the storage card.

could you tell me weres the root of my card?
:confused:
thanks for answering that was fast

also i downloaded this one
New SDK Version (1.0)
is that the one am supose to download sorry am new on this >_< intructions for dummies D= P

Last edited:

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
could you tell me weres the root of my card?
:confused:
thanks for answering that was fast

also i downloaded this one
New SDK Version (1.0)
is that the one am supose to download sorry am new on this >_< intructions for dummies D= P

lol hey man not a problem at all dont worry about it.

the "root" of something simply refers to the very...hmm this is hard to explain.

ok so say you have a C: drive on your computer. you have a folder in there named magicalan stuff. if you put a file in that folder, you have placed it in a folder. if you simply copy and paste this file to drive c:, and you can open drive c: and see:
magicalan [folder], and
whatever file you copied and pasted, then
this file (as well as the folder) are both in the root of your c: drive. do you understand? its not prob if you dont, just lemme know.

and yes that is the right one :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....
    It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    just tried it, the calendar comes up now but when I go to my calendars I get an error saying "Sorry the process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly"
    Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
    I've fixed wifi on the 2.6.32 kernel. Attached is the new module, put it in /system/lib/modules. You'll also need the very latest kernel. I made some very big changes to the sd driver so this could break other things..