Fire TV Stick 4K (mantis) Prerooted Stock Images [6.2.8.1_r3]

Search This thread

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Installing it properly won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things with it might.

First, you must be unlocked. You can follow the instructions here for making that happen.

If you are first starting, you should first unlock, then install this ROM, and THEN install Magisk for root or any other addons. This rom uses addon.d to preserve Magisk and any other addons, but any system modifications like Magisk, gapps, etc, that you have installed prior to this ROM will NOT be preserved.

If you've already unlocked and installed Magisk, then after installing this ROM you need to reinstall Magisk in TWRP.

Starting with 6.2.6.6, Magisk is always installed.

Beyond that, Magisk and any other addons will be preserved as you flash newer roms. Consequently, if you would like to remove root, you will need to wipe /system in TWRP prior to installing this ROM. That will prevent it from being restored when installing the ROM.

Thanks to @k4y0z and @xyz` for the unlock.

NEVER FLASH A STOCK ROM >= 6.2.8.0 AFTER FLASHING 6.2.8.1_r2 OR LATER! THIS WILL BLOW AN EFUSE.

Changelog and Downloads:

Last edited:

vasir13

Dec 14, 2013
@rbox,

Quick question,

Initial unlocking and rooting was successful. However, I did what I usually do which is update Magisk using the manager and after the reboot, it is looping @ the amazon image. Any idea?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
@rbox,

Quick question,

Initial unlocking and rooting was successful. However, I did what I usually do which is update Magisk using the manager and after the reboot, it is looping @ the amazon image. Any idea?

From the unlock page:

Important information
Don't flash boot/recovery images from FireOS (FlashFire, MagiskManager etc.)

TitanUranus

Nov 1, 2012
Thank you, I feel safer already.

Any idea what version of gapps would work on this? Also, any idea if installing nanodroid, patched playstore & patching the ROM for signature spoofing be dangerous (as in bugger up the BL/TWRP)?

Reactions: puppinoo

puppinoo

Jun 14, 2008
Awesome. This community is great.
Does this work for european (Italian) Sticks? (Prime video, Alexa etc etc).

Regards and Thanks a bunch!

tehlers

Aug 8, 2015
OnePlus One
OnePlus 5
Hi,

I successfully installed the hacked bootloader and TWRP a few days ago, but I did not do anything else. I was still on the original 6.2.5.8 version.

Today I wanted to flash the prerooted 6.2.6.5 and I can't manage to boot it (and since I did not expect problems, I did not make a backup of the old system). I cannot go past the "firetv" boot logo and in this stage "adb logcat" is not yet working, so I don't see any logs.

First boot was just installing the ROM. Second boot with previously wiping Cache / Dalvik. Finally I wiped also data (and Cache/Dalvik again). I cannot get past the boot logo.

So what can I do? Was there a firmware update between 6.2.5.8 and 6.2.6.5, which I need and is not included in the prerooted image? I'm just guessing since I cannot explain anything else...

Thanks Tim

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
So what can I do? Was there a firmware update between 6.2.5.8 and 6.2.6.5, which I need and is not included in the prerooted image? I'm just guessing since I cannot explain anything else...

Have you compared the md5 of the download (push the md5file + ROM and let TWRP check this during install)?

tehlers

Aug 8, 2015
OnePlus One
OnePlus 5
Have you compared the md5 of the download (push the md5file + ROM and let TWRP check this during install)?

Yes, I have checked MD5 on my notebook after download, but not after pushing the file to the stick. I will do that now and post it here (with edit). But I doubt this being the issue.

EDIT: MD5 of the zip in the stick is also ok.

Last edited:

tehlers

Aug 8, 2015
OnePlus One
OnePlus 5
Ok. The prerooted Rom should be a full stock update, rbox said that a few days ago.
Any hardware damages or missing parts on your stick?

The hardware is fully ok. The installation of hacked BL worked very smoothly and the stick did work with the original firmware until I flashed the prerooted one today. I have two guesses, but I don't know how to proceed:

1. I know there are sometimes firmware updates on specific fire OS versions, which need to be installed for later versions (for example version 5.2.6.7 on fireTV 2 [sloane]). So if I need a firmware update for 6.2.6.5 (from 6.2.5.8) I should probably flash 6.2.5.8 back and let the fire OS do the first update.

2. Or there is something left from the old version (in one of the partitions) which prevents this version from booting. This would mean that you need to be already on 6.2.6.5 (or at least on a higher version than me), that this ROM works.

In both cases, I would probably recover when getting the original firmware version 6.2.5.8 from somewhere.

EDIT: As I said in the first post, I did not do anything with the original ROM, except flashing the hacked BL and TWRP, no Magisk or whatever.

Best
Tim

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
The hardware is fully ok. The installation of hacked BL worked very smoothly and the stick did work with the original firmware until I flashed the prerooted one today. I have two guesses, but I don't know how to proceed:

1. I know there are sometimes firmware updates on specific fire OS versions, which need to be installed for later versions (for example version 5.2.6.7 on fireTV 2 [sloane]). So if I need a firmware update for 6.2.6.5 (from 6.2.5.8) I should probably flash 6.2.5.8 back and let the fire OS do the first update.

2. Or there is something left from the old version (in one of the partitions) which prevents this version from booting. This would mean that you need to be already on 6.2.6.5 (or at least on a higher version than me), that this ROM works.

In both cases, I would probably recover when getting the original firmware version 6.2.5.8 from somewhere.

Best
Tim
OK :good:
Have you installed the magisk.zip behind the rom? May be it won't start without that? You may try that...

May be that dm-verity and/or SELinux enforcing is a problem without magisk, as magisk take care of that automatically...

Last edited:
Reactions: tehlers

T1inkering

Oct 14, 2019
No mouse Emulator support in TWRP with the 4K stick?
How do you install the rom if you don't have USB OTG cable?

tehlers

Aug 8, 2015
OnePlus One
OnePlus 5
OK :good:
Have you installed the magisk.zip behind the rom? May be it won't start without that? You may try that...

May be that dm-verity and/or SELinux enforcing is a problem without magisk, as magisk take care of that automatically...

Yes, that's it. Magisk needs to be installed after the "prerooted" image! Now the stick boots up!

Amazing, thank's!

I thought a prerooted image is prerooted. :)
@rbox: It would be nice, if you could mention this in the first post.

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
No mouse Emulator support in TWRP with the 4K stick?
How do you install the rom if you don't have USB OTG cable?

for example with ADB / TWRP Commands, something like that...

Code:
adb push ~/Desktop/mantis-6.2.6.5-rooted_r1.zip /sdcard/
adb push ~/Desktop/Magisk-v19.3.zip /sdcard/
adb reboot recovery

adb shell
twrp install /sdcard/mantis-6.2.6.5-rooted_r1.zip
twrp install /sdcard/Magisk-v19.3.zip
twrp wipe cache
twrp wipe dalvik
reboot -p

Yes, that's it. Magisk needs to be installed after the "prerooted" image! Now the stick boots up!

Amazing, thank's!

I thought a prerooted image is prerooted. :)

@rbox: It would be nice, if you could mention this in the first post.

It is mentioned.. but not thats an issue without flashing magisk ;)

puppinoo

Jun 14, 2008
Awesome. This community is great.
Does this work for european (Italian) Sticks? (Prime video, Alexa etc etc).

Regards and Thanks a bunch!

I reply to myself and happy to confirm I installed this "generic" image to my US Stick 4K and after I accept terms of use *Italian* Alexa and Prime video seem to wotk fine.
If I remember well my previous image was the 6.2.5.8 (basically the one I installed when the exploit for Fire TV Stick 2 (Tank) was released but can't be 100% sure.
Now I have to try it on my *Italian* Stick 4k (bought on amazon.it).

Amazing and thanks a lot again.
Puppinoo.

Last edited:

c3po_droid

Sep 13, 2016
So great to see @rbox 'es prerooted roms for the Fire TV Stick 4k :)

There are some things that I am not familiar with:

1. What is magisk for and what if I don't install it?
2. Does root not work without magisk?

On the older Fire TV Devices we did never have to install magisk or so and it was prerooted with rboxes roms and root was working. Why is everybody talking about magisk? Can magisk break anything or be critical like xposed was on the Fire TV 2 box? I remember that xposed framework was a pretty messy issue for recent Fire TV 2 (Sloane) pre-rooted roms. Magisk seems to go deeply into the system, similar to xposed framework, isn't it?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Installing it properly won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things with it might.

First, you must be unlocked. You can follow the instructions here for making that happen.

If you are first starting, you should first unlock, then install this ROM, and THEN install Magisk for root or any other addons. This rom uses addon.d to preserve Magisk and any other addons, but any system modifications like Magisk, gapps, etc, that you have installed prior to this ROM will NOT be preserved.

If you've already unlocked and installed Magisk, then after installing this ROM you need to reinstall Magisk in TWRP.

Starting with 6.2.6.6, Magisk is always installed.

Beyond that, Magisk and any other addons will be preserved as you flash newer roms. Consequently, if you would like to remove root, you will need to wipe /system in TWRP prior to installing this ROM. That will prevent it from being restored when installing the ROM.

Thanks to @k4y0z and @xyz` for the unlock.

NEVER FLASH A STOCK ROM >= 6.2.8.0 AFTER FLASHING 6.2.8.1_r2 OR LATER! THIS WILL BLOW AN EFUSE.

Changelog and Downloads:
    I have updated the OP with 6.2.7.7_r1.
    I updated the OP with 6.2.8.0_r1.
    @rbox
    can you add new prerooted image for https://xdaforums.com/t/fire-tv-sti...stock-images-6-2-8-1_r2.3983091/post-85725921 ?
    P.S. Last post from rbox was Jul 18, 2021 :( Last seen Sep 27, 2021
    Is something happened?

I updated the OP with 6.2.8.1_r3
    Hi guys, apologies for the noob question as I'm v new to android, i've followed the guide and successfully unlocked my firestick 4k, just wondering exactly how I go about flashing this image.
    If someone could point me in the direction of an idiots guide that would be great.
    Cheers.

Hi,
    Can't assume responsibility if this breaks your system but this is how I've done (with essential help from community).
    Good luck:
    EDIT: This is done in Ubuntu!
    *** enable adb debugging in Fire TV settings ***
    *** connect stick to pc via usb to connect the stick to adb server ***
    *** check if stick is seen by adb server***
    sudo adb devices
    you should see something like:

List of devices attached:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx device

**reboot to recovery:
    adb reboot recovery
    **push rom zip and magisk:
    adb push ./Magisk-v20.0.zip /sdcard/
    adb push ./mantis-6.2.6.6-rooted_r1.zip /sdcard/
    **go to shell from adb:
    adb shell
    **install rom:
    twrp install /sdcard/mantis-6.2.6.6-rooted_r1.zip
    **install magisk
    twrp install /sdcard/Magisk-v20.0.zip
    **wipe cache (maybe not needed but helps)
    twrp wipe cache
    **reboot
    reboot -p

** install Magisk Manager (run command from PC in the folder where you put MagiskManager-v7.3.5.apk)**
    adb install ./MagiskManager-v7.3.5.apk
    * ** open it and check magisk is installed!! ***

** disable update
    adb shell
    (ATTENTION! after executing "su" command go to the fire tv screen and wait for magisk manager to accept the root and click to accept!!)
    su

** if su worked prompt changed from
    mantis:/ $
    to
    mantis:/ #

**disable these 2 apps
    pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota
    pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota.override

**clear a pending update and delete the last searched thing from settings. **
    pm clear com.amazon.device.software.ota

*** I hope I didn't forget anything but can't be sure ***

thanks A LOT TO @Sus_i for fundamental advices and corrections!