Smartwatch 2 problems

Search This thread

shaz2sxy

Aug 20, 2012
got a couple of problems with my smartwatch 2

1) its starting to lift from the power button area?

2) calender is a day out of sync?

Reactions: renthebat

yok3r

Dec 21, 2008
I have the same problem, do you know if its typical?

When i press the back of the watch it moves as pictured :(

ate8eryg.jpg

hejaduze.jpg

prbdave

Feb 8, 2005
My SW2 arrived today. It works perfectly and I love it but it is lifting the same as yours. My was a gift from Clove in UK (I'm in Australia) and I can't be bothered sending it back. I'm going to put a couple of drops of Superglue on it to hold it down.

DAddYE

Nov 9, 2010
Made some pics from the inside?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

No but is dead simple is a 1 single piece of hardware embedded in the metal frame with (weak) glue.

You just need to press from the bottom (where there written CE 0682 .. Sony and and so on) with your thumbs, first from the side of the power button and then from the other side.

That's it, add a bit of new glue.

Total time to do that 2 minutes (the time I had to wait my uber cab :D)

SmartWatch 2 taken apart for glueing.

Here you go :angel:

Glue, well, as far as I can tell this is just a black version of the silicone you have in your bathroom. It's like rubber when scraped/peeled off.

The question is: Is there a reason for this choice? Did they use this to be able to service it later?

If you use Super Glue, you'll never be able to take it apart again. Regular contact glue? The glue used to repair a flat bicycle tyre (Cement something) or just silicone like they did?

When poking ever so gently with a tiny flathead screwdriver along the underside of the screen, I can tell they have a similar silicone seal between the screen and the body. In time, this could probably be cut a bit and pried open with a small box cutter or some other method to remove the screen to replace the battery. It's of course much too new of a product for iFixit to have a repair guide yet, much less anyone selling spare parts. I'll look for a disassembly article/video at regular intervals. Until then and to be on the safe side, I'm staying away from Super Glue or the Epoxy I've got lying around and going to try something less permanent. Worst case scenario: it won't hold it together, and I'll just have to redo it with something stronger, but that's not too much of an inconvenience to me.

EDIT: Having scraped off some of the excess glue, I then re-assembled it using a thin layer of contact glue on both the watch and the case sides and waited 2 minutes. Assembled I can still smell the solvent, which is great, since that means its evaporating, instead of remaining wet like inside the glue tube. Heat resistant to 60 degrees celsius, which hopefully means that, if necessary, it can be heated a bit with a blow dryer and pushed apart.

Last edited:

Flanders64

Jan 1, 2006
same here, 2 days and starting to come away, dont really want to glue myself incase anything else goes wrong with it, would probably invalidate the warranty.

Sheon849

Oct 9, 2010
Honolulu
is the build quality of this watch really that bad? i read it supposed to even be water proof? but being as it looks now the front coming off only after a few days scares me to even get this. I Have been thinking about getting this watch and the xperia z1 as a trade for my 5S but after seeing this thread im starting to this difffrently now. Sony makes some sexy looking devices but if there quality control is really that bad I might just not get it

Reactions: Uncle Louie

shaz2sxy

Aug 20, 2012
Well the worst thing happened... The strap failed and watch fell...

DSC_9181_zps8a57f3b3.jpg

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app

Well the worst thing happened... The strap failed and watch fell...

DSC_9181_zps8a57f3b3.jpg

What do you mean? The watch was still in the frame and then the strap fell off? If so, metal, silicone or leather? Also, did the pin come out?

How far did it drop and onto what surface?

Last edited:
Reactions: kill_dano

shaz2sxy

Aug 20, 2012
The strap came of from it pins and it dropped from chest height. I took it out the holder to see how bad it was

The strap came of from it pins and it dropped from chest height. I took it out the holder to see how bad it was

You have the silicone strap, I just rechecked your first post. I've had both, because my first metal watch never worked (until manually flashing firmware using some Sony update software) and I didn't want to wait forever for returns, so just ordered the silicone one (only type in stock atm) and changed the straps. Later found out how to fix first one, so am now using that one and sent back silicone one. Sorry, unimportant detail, I know.

My point being that I've removed both types of straps at least twice and the silicone one is so easy to remove, whereas the metal one takes some serious concentration, force and skill to remove, at least without scrathing it. Even with tools it took me several minutes to dislodge the pins on the metal strap, so for anyone out there with a steel strap, there's no need to worry. If you've got the silicone one, well, that might be a totally different story. I think the grippy nature of the silicone might, if pulled at an angle and away from the pin end toward the center, might somehow grab hold of the pin resulting in the strap coming off like it did in this case.

Canadian DJ

Jan 8, 2011

Since your watch is pretty much done, would you be interested in disassembling the whole unit so we can learn more about it? Like how to replace the battery to facilitate wireless charging?

gopi2602

Oct 23, 2013
minor operation

this is my watch with minor disassemble condition - purpose was to de-solder the battery connector to reset my watch but still, no matter how many times on / off or reset as per described in the manual, the watch doesnt reset. just showing the clock.

software updated more than 10 times. nuthing so far.

exhausted and now just waiting for some solutions from any angels out there.

if not, just gona get myself a new one.

grrrrr.......

Attachments

• IMG_0981.JPG
    IMG_0981.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 1,843
  • IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,729
  • IMG_0983.JPG
    IMG_0983.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 1,816
  • IMG_0984.JPG
    IMG_0984.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,753
Reactions: Umpal and sblock

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SmartWatch 2 taken apart for glueing.

Here you go :angel:

Glue, well, as far as I can tell this is just a black version of the silicone you have in your bathroom. It's like rubber when scraped/peeled off.

The question is: Is there a reason for this choice? Did they use this to be able to service it later?

If you use Super Glue, you'll never be able to take it apart again. Regular contact glue? The glue used to repair a flat bicycle tyre (Cement something) or just silicone like they did?

When poking ever so gently with a tiny flathead screwdriver along the underside of the screen, I can tell they have a similar silicone seal between the screen and the body. In time, this could probably be cut a bit and pried open with a small box cutter or some other method to remove the screen to replace the battery. It's of course much too new of a product for iFixit to have a repair guide yet, much less anyone selling spare parts. I'll look for a disassembly article/video at regular intervals. Until then and to be on the safe side, I'm staying away from Super Glue or the Epoxy I've got lying around and going to try something less permanent. Worst case scenario: it won't hold it together, and I'll just have to redo it with something stronger, but that's not too much of an inconvenience to me.

EDIT: Having scraped off some of the excess glue, I then re-assembled it using a thin layer of contact glue on both the watch and the case sides and waited 2 minutes. Assembled I can still smell the solvent, which is great, since that means its evaporating, instead of remaining wet like inside the glue tube. Heat resistant to 60 degrees celsius, which hopefully means that, if necessary, it can be heated a bit with a blow dryer and pushed apart.
    minor operation

this is my watch with minor disassemble condition - purpose was to de-solder the battery connector to reset my watch but still, no matter how many times on / off or reset as per described in the manual, the watch doesnt reset. just showing the clock.

software updated more than 10 times. nuthing so far.

exhausted and now just waiting for some solutions from any angels out there.

if not, just gona get myself a new one.

grrrrr.......
    boss,
    do u mind describing on the methods u used to recover back the first unit?..coz mine is still in coma !!!

According to the reply I got from Sony support earlier in relation to general questions for my article/review on the watch, the watch updates it's firmware automatically, yeah, in an ideal world maybe. If the **** won't even turn on that' not really possible.

The fix is this: Download Sony Update Service program from below link. Install, run, follow idiot-proof instructions and you're hopefully good to go. Never had an Xperia anything, but I've been told by my editor, that that's the program all Xperia users can/do use for their tablets and phones.

Link: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/update-service/

S4M33R gave me some awesome advise that you can find here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2465712

Below is what he wrote to me and it worked like a charm :victory: (don't forget to hit his Thanks button after checking out the link above). :angel:

“Just an update:*

After plugging in to a mains charger and leaving it for 5mins (blank screen and no sign of any life in the thing) I installed Sony's update utility and thought I'd give it one more go. I plugged in the watch (at first it tried to install driver and failed), then after opening the update programme and finding the smartwatch 2 option and re-plugging in the watch & tapping the power button quickly once, boom the computer detected the watch (it said the battery level was now 76% so that rules out a dead battery as I only charged for a few mins). From then onwards the update programme installed the relevant drivers and allowed me to reinstall the firmware. Finally managed to get some life into the watch, but, and there's a but...ever since I managed to reinstall the firmware the smartwatch kept crashing or freezing at a certain time and not responding to any inputs, no matter how many times I reset the watch, but I eventually fixed it!

I've had to uninstall all the smart extra apps and reset the watch a few more time and connect to my phone with a fresh setup and now finally things seem to be working again, but it's been a whole lot of hassle and not what I was expecting at all, let's just hope it lasts... “

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

Looking at my SW2 metal strap I can't really imagine a way to remove the spring bars without seriously scratching it.

How did you succeed?

I don't have any screwdrivers tiny enough to fit in there, if such even exists in regular stores, so I just used a medium sized sowing needle and pushed it down using my thumb nail and then twisted it sideways a bit once I got it "hooked" on the collar of the pin. I'm sure you could use a small pair of tongs to hold it instead, especially if your thumb nail is less than 2 mm. ;) See, there's always more than just one reason biting ones' nails is a bad idea :silly:
    got a couple of problems with my smartwatch 2

1) its starting to lift from the power button area?

2) calender is a day out of sync?
    is the build quality of this watch really that bad? i read it supposed to even be water proof? but being as it looks now the front coming off only after a few days scares me to even get this. I Have been thinking about getting this watch and the xperia z1 as a trade for my 5S but after seeing this thread im starting to this difffrently now. Sony makes some sexy looking devices but if there quality control is really that bad I might just not get it