FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Ever tried JTAG unbrick recovery?

5,226 posts
Thanks Meter: 9,888

By AdamOutler, Inactive Recognized Developer on 20th March 2011, 02:06 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th April 2011, 12:03 AM |#21  
^^ It is my understanding that JTAG (Joint Test Action Group) is a set standard and there is no special communication outside of the JTAG standards. According to the wikipedia .. yeah I know wiki... This is IEEE 1149.1 which means any JTAG cable can interface with any JTAG device, it's all about the software running on the computer. The same open-source software that they use for flashing dd-wrt on Linksys Routers should work on our phones with the proper offset settings because it is JTAG.

I will try out some of the software on this page http://jtagcables.com/jtag-software

The RIFF-JTAG is a easier tool, yet expensive. RIFF-JTAG is a hardware/software combination which allows automatic downloading of sane flashes for most devices and from what I can see a variety of interfaces including USB, Ethernet and Serial to the computer. RIFF-JTAG makes its money by making the flashes and offsets for supported devices a 1 click operation. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

19th April 2011, 02:33 AM |#22  
I'm pretty good at soldering usually... However on something this small.... I must warn you that this will look ugly. These connections are so small that I could not tell if it was soldered well without putting my digital camera into close-up mode and taking a very steady picture.

Here's how to attach this header:
1. tin all leads with a clean iron
2. make all leads nice and rounded with the clean soldering iron
3. place the header on top of the proper solder pads
4. using a pair of tweezers, hold it in place while you solder a corner pad
5. use the pair of tweezers to hold it in place while you solder the other corner pad
6. drag the soldering iron across the surface and reflow the solder so that the connector mates properly while giving a bit of downward force.

Here's the part number:

Here's the finished product.

Now, the cool thing is that once you've got the thing in place, you can use a very tiny sewing needle (not the standard size, very very small) and soldering iron to heat up a pin and then push it over slightly so it lines up properly.

Another benefeit of using this method is that if you damage pin 2, which apparently many people do when trying to solder it... You can scrape off a bit of the covered area of pin 2, tin it, and use one of these pin headers to
19th April 2011, 04:35 AM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 680

More
very nice. have you flashed successfully yet?
20th April 2011, 09:07 PM |#24  
Dani, Can you fabricate something for me like you said you could?

I need something like this:

I think we may have a way to recover any phone with around $40 in hardware (including an Arduino ATmega, a 150Kohm resistor, and a micro usb cable) and no special skills aside from soldering to a USB cable.... Which is nowhere near as difficult as soldering to these microscopic connections.

I need to brick my phone in order to test my theories. If my theory is wrong, then I need to bring it back to life. JTAG, being a tried and true method will serve the purpose well. My plan is to brick my phone every which way from sunday and come up with ways to bring it back using the microusb cable. If I do something really crazy, then I need the JTAG backup.
20th April 2011, 09:13 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 680

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler

Dani, Can you fabricate something for me like you said you could?

I need something like this:

I think we may have a way to recover any phone with around $40 in hardware (including an Arduino ATmega, a 150Kohm resistor, and a micro usb cable) and no special skills aside from soldering to a USB cable.... Which is nowhere near as difficult as soldering to these microscopic connections.

I need to brick my phone in order to test my theories. If my theory is wrong, then I need to bring it back to life. JTAG, being a tried and true method will serve the purpose well. My plan is to brick my phone every which way from sunday and come up with ways to bring it back using the microusb cable. If I do something really crazy, then I need the JTAG backup.

i think so, but i need spare time. i am going to talk to my tool and die maker friend who has some smaller tools like a jewelers drill press and some x,y axes i can mount on there with a magnifying glass. it would be cumbersome to do it on a full sized mill like i have but possible if it came down to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dani897 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dani897 Ad-Free
20th April 2011, 09:17 PM |#26  
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 724

Donate to Me
More
Adam,

Wouldn't this still require a person to drag solder the inital jack?
20th April 2011, 09:35 PM |#27  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani897

i think so, but i need spare time. i am going to talk to my tool and die maker friend who has some smaller tools like a jewelers drill press and some x,y axes i can mount on there with a magnifying glass. it would be cumbersome to do it on a full sized mill like i have but possible if it came down to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion2005

Adam,

Wouldn't this still require a person to drag solder the inital jack?

Yes. The ultimate ending is:
1.tear apart a USB cable
2. solder a 150K resistor to pins 4 and 5
3. Solder a wire to Pins 1, 2 and 3
4. upload software to an Arduino Mega
5. connect pins 1 2 and 3 to Arduino
6. Run a program to unbrick.
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AdamOutler Ad-Free
20th April 2011, 09:50 PM |#28  
Flag Texas

Donate to Me
More
Edit: NVM I see you are referring to USB points and not JTAG points!
20th April 2011, 10:37 PM |#29  
Flag Austintown, OH
Thanks Meter: 38

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler

Yes. The ultimate ending is:
1.tear apart a USB cable
2. solder a 150K resistor to pins 4 and 5
3. Solder a wire to Pins 1, 2 and 3
4. upload software to an Arduino Mega
5. connect pins 1 2 and 3 to Arduino
6. Run a program to unbrick.

Adam,
I have a hard bricked captivate, from flashing the wrong files...I'd new more than happy to be your first ginnie pig...let me know....I'd like to get my other captivate rolling...

Let me know

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App
20th April 2011, 10:40 PM |#30  
Flag Texas

Donate to Me
More
I'll let Adam input first of course if he needs the phone for testing but if he currently is not looking for a test phone, I'd be ok if you were interested in the free JTAG I was offering. I have one of the 3 I need and I'm still looking for 2 more to practice on.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post13049759
20th April 2011, 10:54 PM |#31  
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaljr1980

Adam,
I have a hard bricked captivate, from flashing the wrong files...I'd new more than happy to be your first ginnie pig...let me know....I'd like to get my other captivate rolling...

Let me know

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

Yes, please. I would absolutely love to try this method on your phone. If it does not work then I can send it to Connexion2005 for JTAG recovery.

I'm sending both of you PMs so that we all know what's going on.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)