5,226 posts
Thanks Meter: 9,888

By AdamOutler, Inactive Recognized Developer on 10th April 2011, 09:18 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th May 2011, 07:06 AM |#11  
Flag Rochester, MN
Thanks Meter: 141

More
Thanks a lot Adam & TRuss very useful post I already have this up and running.. Should be very handy

14th May 2011, 09:11 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Easier and better than SFTP is Samba for android:

https://market.android.com/details?i...nkyfresh.samba

Better because you have random access to your files (e.g. you can say edit a word document without having to copy it off of your phone first,) easier because accessing it is built into windows and mac with no downloading, installing, or configuring necessary. I set my netbios name on my phone to jjdphone, so in windows I just hit start and type:

\\jjdphone

On a mac it would be finder > network > jjdphone

Linux you'd use smbmount if you have samba installed.

Having SSH available is great for terminal access, so install that too, because then there's no need to have your phone's drivers or the android SDK installed in order to gain shell access to your phone. Plus you have no need for any wires.
14th May 2011, 03:13 PM |#13  
Flag Rugby
Thanks Meter: 32

Donate to Me
More
Why do this over wireless ADB? AFAIK adb push is faster than ftp, scp, and sftp.
14th May 2011, 04:13 PM |#14  
Wireless ADB leaves a security hole on your phone. Anyone can connect to it. It's not password protected, and it's not encrypted. SSH is a tunneling protocol. It's lightweight form factor allows it to be always on and not cause problems with hogging processor. When you use ADB wireless, anyone can push applications and run commands on your phone without authentication.

Between SSH and ADB, it's better for everyone to stick with SSH unless they're debugging an application. ADB was designed to be used over a secure wire. SSH was designed to be used always.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AdamOutler Ad-Free
15th May 2011, 04:24 AM |#15  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 364

Donate to Me
More
Red face
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler

Wireless ADB leaves a security hole on your phone. Anyone can connect to it. It's not password protected, and it's not encrypted. SSH is a tunneling protocol. It's lightweight form factor allows it to be always on and not cause problems with hogging processor. When you use ADB wireless, anyone can push applications and run commands on your phone without authentication.

Between SSH and ADB, it's better for everyone to stick with SSH unless they're debugging an application. ADB was designed to be used over a secure wire. SSH was designed to be used always.

Good job anyway, too complex for me to understand 0_0
15th May 2011, 12:59 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
easy and it works just fine.
Q: is it possible to rewrite system files in order to change the android theme?

just asking cuz i've already replaced some system framework files; rebooted and there are no visual changes.

later edit: ah....it works...just needed other files..
15th May 2011, 02:33 PM |#17  
Flag Redditch
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Working great here on a HTC Vision.

I do have a question though, I'm trying to create a Desktop short cut on Windows & I cant for the life of work it out! I have it all working though WinSCP but I would love to be able to have a direct shortcut to the MicroSD within Windows Explorer.

Is this possible & how would I achieve it?
15th May 2011, 02:38 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 680

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlosTheJackal

I do have a question though, I'm trying to create a Desktop short cut on Windows & I cant for the life of work it out! I have it all working though WinSCP but I would love to be able to have a direct shortcut to the MicroSD within Windows Explorer.

im not sure if you can with ssh because im still learning linux, but if you only want access to the sdcard you can use an ftp or samba app and mount is as a network drive. i believe desktop shortcuts can be made to network drives.
15th May 2011, 08:35 PM |#19  
^^ of course you can. You can do more with a default Linux installation then a default Windows installation. Windows is a kiddy toy comparatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlosTheJackal

make a shortcut using winscp.exe

http://winscp.net/eng/docs/commandline
18th May 2011, 02:18 AM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 0

Donate to Me
More
ive been trying to figure out how to wireless duel mount, thank you so much!
18th May 2011, 03:46 AM |#21  
Flag Monterrey
Thanks Meter: 6

More
The ssh over wifi with sshdroid was easy, can now access to all files from my terminal in mac.

Thanks for the tip
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)