FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

【Guide】How To flash ANY Captivate ROM from Stock (including ICS)

4,746 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,937

By TRusselo, Inactive Recognized Developer on 17th November 2011, 04:49 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th November 2011, 11:39 PM |#21  
Flag Nunavut
Thanks Meter: 30

More
As a complete new guy I'm shy about flashing and even bought a USB jig from Montreal before I flashed anything. And I've been reading and reading and reading. This thread was clear and concise.

Five months ago, I managed to muddle my way to flashing my Rogers I-896 from stock 2.2 to FireFly 3.0 and even managed to install voodoo ext4 lagfix.

I like it, but I'm keen on trying a 2.3 rom. I think I've settled on dlev 4.2, but the GB kernal upgrade has been my hangup where I was unclear, so I've stayed with FF.

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks for posting this.
It has helped answer a few of my questions.

EDIT: Just got me a THANKS button. I used it!
The Following User Says Thank You to geeksquad2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift geeksquad2 Ad-Free

21st November 2011, 05:24 PM |#22  
Flag Bossier City
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Much better guide! js
21st November 2011, 06:02 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thank you for redirecting me here TRusselo this has been a huge help. I was hoping you could answer one question for me. After reading several times I am still a bit confused about which kernel to use whether its the froyo cwm kernel or the gingerbread cwm kernel. I am planning on flashing from rooted stock 2.2 (which is what I am currently on) to the latest gingerbread version of miui.
21st November 2011, 06:05 PM |#24  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Edmonton

Donate to Me
More
The Miui instructions wants you on stock froyo. So use a froyo (2.2) kernel with cwm
21st November 2011, 06:26 PM |#25  

More
Great thank you so much! I was also wondering about the gingerbread bootloaders. I downloaded them and what I got was I897_BL_Odin.7z as a file in my downloads folder. However when I begin the process and select PDA for the first time that file isn't available for me to select like it says to do in the guide.
21st November 2011, 06:36 PM |#26  
Flag Edmonton

Donate to Me
More
It should be a tar file. ... ? Try using 7zip to UN zip it and there should be a tar in there then. Sorry not at pc
21st November 2011, 07:03 PM |#27  

More
No worries I appreciate all the help your giving! I extracted the .tar file and am good to go. One last question with regards to Odin, should I have the auto reboot feature unselected for this process?
21st November 2011, 07:35 PM |#28  
Flag Edmonton

Donate to Me
More
yes use auto reboot
21st November 2011, 07:58 PM |#29  
Flag Edmonton

Donate to Me
More
bootloader link fixed to just tar package now to avoid that issue again
The Following User Says Thank You to TRusselo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TRusselo Ad-Free
21st November 2011, 08:04 PM |#30  

More
So when I select the bootloaders in the PDA and click start, it does its thing, then it would auto reboot the phone? Or should I disconnect as soon as its done, pull the battery, put the battery back in and then reconnect it getting back into download mode? Sorry for continuing on this is my first time flashing and I can tell you've done this a time or two haha.
21st November 2011, 08:22 PM |#31  
Flag Edmonton

Donate to Me
More
in either case that you just stated, the phone ends up rebooting, does it not?

and then the next step is?.... reboot into download mode!

actually flashing bootloaders, it's best not to touch your cable, unless you wanna brick. let it do its thing. bootloaders are the only dangerous thing to flash
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)