FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Consistently Incorrect Battery Percentage

54 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By thecoolestcow, Member on 7th February 2012, 04:49 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey all,

I have had terrible misfortune in the realm of battery stats. Ever since CM7 (and maybe even before) my phone is unable to figure out how much battery is left. Here is a common scenario:

Charge phone overnight, use phone throughout day, battery dies after 6-7 hours of moderate-heavy usage. I plug it in, reboot, and then it reports ~60% battery left.

Another common scenario is that it will dwindle around 5% battery or less and go up and down until it finally dies.

I know that this is a misreading of the battery and not battery drain or a rogue app because when I flash a new ROM the battery life is amazing for 1 day. The day after I flashed Team Hacksung's ICS rom, I got almost 17 hours of battery life with 2.75 hours of the display being on and 30 minutes of Google Music. I was blown away! But even then it was dwindling around 5% not knowing when it would actually run out. The day after, it was back to its old tricks of misreporting the battery percentage.

Today I charged it to 100%, unplugged it, and shut it off. Then I plugged it in while it was off and let it charge to 100% again and wiped battery stats in Clockwork mod. I'm getting ok-ish battery with that, but it's not even close to how good it was when I first flashed ICS.

Anyone have any ideas what I could try?

Thanks!

7th February 2012, 05:39 AM |#2  
Flag Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 78

More
When you wiped the battery stats did you let the battery fully discharge and shut off before charging again?

After wiping battery stats it is recommended to let the phone fully discharge to the point where it will automatically shut off.
7th February 2012, 01:57 PM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Mayagüez
Thanks Meter: 14,541

Donate to Me
More
Keep in mind with the age of our phones, it could just mean your battery is dying. Try the above method, but in my experience uncalibrated battery only last a few days. The phone will "fix" it by itself the longer you use it.
7th February 2012, 06:52 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.curtis.369

When you wiped the battery stats did you let the battery fully discharge and shut off before charging again?

After wiping battery stats it is recommended to let the phone fully discharge to the point where it will automatically shut off.

That's what I'm doing currently. Battery life seems improved, but we'll see what happens. It's nearing death now, ~6%. At this point it will probably misreport it for a few hours until it finally dies. I left it unplugged overnight, so now it's at 19.5 hours uptime with 1.75 hours display time.

Definitely improving! I hope that it successfully recalibrates.
7th February 2012, 07:37 PM |#5  
Flag Nashville, TN
Thanks Meter: 4,070

Donate to Me
More
Battery stats have nothing to do with how the os calculates remaining battery...they are what is displayed in settings>about phone> battery use and are reset each time you charge to full.

You're just giving it a good bump charge...wiping the stats is just a placebo effect.
7th February 2012, 08:10 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by studacris

Battery stats have nothing to do with how the os calculates remaining battery...they are what is displayed in settings>about phone> battery use and are reset each time you charge to full.

You're just giving it a good bump charge...wiping the stats is just a placebo effect.

Seriously? Wow I didn't know that. Is there a way to actually reset how the OS calculates the battery?

Does this app do anything?
https://market.android.com/details?i...xpYnJhdGlvbiJd
7th February 2012, 08:27 PM |#7  
Flag Nashville, TN

Donate to Me
More
Nope...that app is just perpetuating the myth of what the batterystats.bin file does.
7th February 2012, 08:35 PM |#8  
Flag Mayagüez

Donate to Me
More
Don't hate me for this but, Then how come Roms usually give me better battery life after a full cycle? not bump charging or deleting battery.bin just running it?
7th February 2012, 09:05 PM |#9  
Flag Nashville, TN

Donate to Me
More
Because the system for tracking the remaining power is getting to know your battery. once it gets a feel for it, it's more accurate. In theory anyway
The Following User Says Thank You to studacris For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift studacris Ad-Free
7th February 2012, 09:10 PM |#10  
Flag Mayagüez

Donate to Me
More
So the "give it a day" is still true, at least in theory?
7th February 2012, 10:06 PM |#11  
Flag Nashville, TN

Donate to Me
More
Sure

10 char
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery, calibration, captivate, misreading

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)