FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

MicroUSB Female 7 pin pinout

15 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By Redhattler, Junior Member on 30th March 2013, 03:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Searched through XDA and other forums found on Google and got nothing. Is there an existing pinout scheme for 7 pin microUSB female port in our phones? If there isn't, can somebody who knows how to use multimeter and disassemble Captivate tell me why the microUSB port has 5 inner and 7 outer pins? Which of these 7 pins are Data+, Data-, GND and +?
Have a cool idea about self-powered USB OTG, without information about this pinout my hands are tied.
 
 
31st March 2013, 11:48 AM |#2  
laughingT's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oakland, CA
Thanks Meter: 462
 
Donate to Me
More
Re: MicroUSB Female 7 pin pinout
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhattler

Searched through XDA and other forums found on Google and got nothing. Is there an existing pinout scheme for 7 pin microUSB female port in our phones? If there isn't, can somebody who knows how to use multimeter and disassemble Captivate tell me why the microUSB port has 5 inner and 7 outer pins? Which of these 7 pins are Data+, Data-, GND and +?
Have a cool idea about self-powered USB OTG, without information about this pinout my hands are tied.

it is a 5 pin connector, not 7.

google 'micro usb pinout' and you will find several links, including wiki

charging with otg is prevented by power management chip in captivate. in otg mode, the phone is the power source for usb, not the load.
The Following User Says Thank You to laughingT For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift laughingT Ad-Free
31st March 2013, 11:54 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingT

it is a 5 pin connector, not 7.

google 'micro usb pinout' and you will find several links, including wiki

There are 7 pins coming from the rear part of the connector, not 5. Other 2 are used for additional supply or something else.
31st March 2013, 12:09 PM |#4  
laughingT's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oakland, CA
Thanks Meter: 462
 
Donate to Me
More
Re: MicroUSB Female 7 pin pinout
not on captivate sgh-i897. you must be confusing something else for pins. it is a standard micro usb b type connection.

I've done both charging and data transfer with generic cables.

http://pinoutsguide.com/PortableDevi...b_pinout.shtml

the cable has a shield, separate from ground pin 5, that is attached to the metal outer D, surrounding the pins, on one end only of the cable. one end only prevents ground loops. shield envelops all wires for length of entire cable and prevents stray EM fields from interfering with data - this in addition to twisting, which also does some, allowing higher data rate than straight wires.

so, there is a connection for the shield on every usb connector, but the shield is never connected on device end. this one of the diffs in otg, when shield is connected at phone because it is the host. my educated guess is that you are looking at two shield connections - perhaps one dead ends or isn't connected in standard device mode cable, the other one is common with ground in otg cable.
The Following User Says Thank You to laughingT For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift laughingT Ad-Free
31st March 2013, 12:28 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingT

not on captivate sgh-i897. you must be confusing something else for pins. it is a standard micro usb b type connection.

I've done both charging and data transfer with generic cables.

http://pinoutsguide.com/PortableDevi...b_pinout.shtml

In this guide there are shown inner pins, not the outer. By the outer pins I mean those which are connected to the PCB (mainboard).
31st March 2013, 12:35 PM |#6  
laughingT's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oakland, CA
Thanks Meter: 462
 
Donate to Me
More
Re: MicroUSB Female 7 pin pinout
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhattler

In this guide there are shown inner pins, not the outer. By the outer pins I mean those which are connected to the PCB (mainboard).

see shield function note above.
shield continuity test to ground pin 5 would confirm it.

S12345S would be the seven connections and only one S would have continuity to ground. it might be S54321S as you are viewing it.

again, this is guess, but testable.
The Following User Says Thank You to laughingT For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift laughingT Ad-Free
31st March 2013, 03:08 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingT

see shield function note above.
shield continuity test to ground pin 5 would confirm it.

S12345S would be the seven connections and only one S would have continuity to ground. it might be S54321S as you are viewing it.

again, this is guess, but testable.

I've read about +2 pins for phone working w/o battery attached in some cases. After some soldering experiments my PCB isn't charging and it isn't recognized by PC. I'll test it after buying a multimeter and restoring USB port.
4th April 2013, 08:25 AM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhattler

I've read about +2 pins for phone working w/o battery attached in some cases. After some soldering experiments my PCB isn't charging and it isn't recognized by PC. I'll test it after buying a multimeter and restoring USB port.

I have the same problem,

In PCB connection side of the female socket of microUSB, there are 7 pins,

when i measure the connections with a multimeter,

GND / GND / X / X / X/ X/ 5V

are the connection row,

The GND plane is everywhere, so i can fix the problem but, i couldn't find, where the 5V trace goes
(there are some diodes and capacitors near the 5V pin but these are so so small (0201 i think and my magnifying glass is just 8X) so i couldn't find where it connects, )
And maybe the problem is the connection lost because of the trace or a bulk diode.

If you can find a solution the fix your problem, please share with me too =)
8th February 2015, 10:21 PM |#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
I know this is an old thread but since I was unable to find the answer any where I thought I would post this. What Redhatter is referring to is the PHONE side of the USB, not the cord side. The cord side is standard USB as laughingT pointed out, the phone side is 7 pins. After tearing apart a Samsung charging port the pinout on the phone side is
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
VCC | RX TX NC | GND

1,3,4,5,7 matches 1,2,3,4,5 respectively on the USB side. inside the connector the 2 and 6 pins stop short. 6 is ground as Redhatter pointed out. My guess is the 2 pin is an extra logic pin. When a Samsung cable is used instead of a generic cable 2 and 6 get connected in the cable and brings the logic circuit low most likely to enable either faster charging or higher data transfers. It may connect 2 and 1 enabling the phone to work off of a charger without a battery or 2 and 6 connect triggering a switch allowing the phone to isolate power from the battery and run off of the cable, but only with the right cable. However the latter seems like a pretty dirty solution that could easily be accomplished inside the phone with a mechanical switch. Unless the end goal was to sell more cables if customers wanted the feature.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venomous Duck For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Venomous Duck Ad-Free
5th August 2015, 07:08 AM |#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous Duck

1,3,4,5,7 matches 1,2,3,4,5 respectively on the USB side. inside the connector the 2 and 6 pins stop short. 6 is ground as Redhatter pointed out. My guess is the 2 pin is an extra logic pin.

This is awesome, thanks! I've replaced the USB end (PCB + flex + microphone) to my S2 GT-I9100 twice now, and this time it's been only around 1-2 months and I have charging problems. So I was looking for the physical connectors on eBay I could try soldering (I have the old PCB's so I can practise). And then I really began to wonder why 7 pins, which leads me here.

My indirect experience on the extra pins: when I had charging problems for the first time, nudging the charger cable could trigger the phone to think it's been connected to car system, I got Driving mode on stock rom. So the extra pins are used, but I have no details.

I'm now thinking if using a generic cable is bad practise in case of these Samsung 7-pins, because I've heard S2's charging fine through years, and mine doesn't (I use all kinds of chargers / cables)? Replacing the USB PCB + flex is easy, but who orders them for later use? It's always busy time when you cannot charge properly...
The Following User Says Thank You to Some-E For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Some-E Ad-Free
12th November 2015, 08:17 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some-E

This is awesome, thanks! I've replaced the USB end (PCB + flex + microphone) to my S2 GT-I9100 twice now, and this time it's been only around 1-2 months and I have charging problems. So I was looking for the physical connectors on eBay I could try soldering (I have the old PCB's so I can practise). And then I really began to wonder why 7 pins, which leads me here.

My indirect experience on the extra pins: when I had charging problems for the first time, nudging the charger cable could trigger the phone to think it's been connected to car system, I got Driving mode on stock rom. So the extra pins are used, but I have no details.

I'm now thinking if using a generic cable is bad practise in case of these Samsung 7-pins, because I've heard S2's charging fine through years, and mine doesn't (I use all kinds of chargers / cables)? Replacing the USB PCB + flex is easy, but who orders them for later use? It's always busy time when you cannot charge properly...

I believe all samsungs have this type of connector. I have figured out (through sloppy soldering on my Galaxy S) that grounding pin 2 brings the phone to Dock Mode. Basically Andriod docks, like what originally came in early GM cars, has 2 and 6 connected. When you plug your phone into a media dock, 2 gets connected to 6 to bring it low (grounded). And yes, generic cables are most likely the cause of you port problems. They usually fit very loose, causing bent pins or literately pulling the pins from the PCB. I have had the best luck with factory LG cables.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venomous Duck For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Venomous Duck Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes