20 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Bighurk, Junior Member on 15th August 2010, 04:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st December 2010, 03:25 PM |#21  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Ok I finally got it to work! I had rw permissions but it wouldn't work until I installed BusyBox! I have no idea why and how (although I would like to know) nor what busybox does (i read in another thread that it solves the problem) but now Im pushing and pulling fine and able to use Root Explorer!

1st December 2010, 03:47 PM |#22  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 222

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanja

Ok I finally got it to work! I had rw permissions but it wouldn't work until I installed BusyBox! I have no idea why and how (although I would like to know) nor what busybox does (i read in another thread that it solves the problem) but now Im pushing and pulling fine and able to use Root Explorer!

Busybox installs all the tools and command required to manage/manipulate your android system.

http://www.busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html (For the list of commands and descriptions)
1st December 2010, 04:05 PM |#23  
Flag Junction City
Thanks Meter: 102

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighurk

If I use adb shell it doesnt let me push files into certain folders. It says push is not a command... I'm trying to change my bootscreen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

As usual - I am not responsible if your phone suddenly decides to become possessed or decides to commit sepukku and suicide honorably.

If you have a custom ROM that allows bootanimation.zip files you can do this through ADB by:

First I would copy the bootanimation.zip to your sdcard (same place your ROM.zip was put).
Then unmount the SDCard and open up ADB

Then... you run the following commands and you should be able to install the bootanimation.zip on your phone.

ADB shell

$su
//Look on your phone and allow Super User Access as soon as you type the su command otherwise it will hang then go back to your normal prompt and you won't have SU access.

//After you have su access you will be on your '/' root directory so will need to go back to the sdcard on your phone by typing the command below.

#cd sdcard

//Make sure your bootanimation.zip file is listed by typing the command below. If you don't see it - you either are not in the correct directory or your not in the correct area. Do 'pwd' to find out where your at on your phone.

#ls

//You should be able to do mv but cp will work here - if you get no errors and it goes back to the '#' it completed successfully. Of course... you can just run the command from Root - but I am paranoid and want to make sure the file I wish to copy over is available before wildly running stuff.

#mv bootanimation.zip /system/media

//Reboot and test!
// For the advanced folks - you can just do "su" and then perform mv /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /system/media and bypass all the cd/ls'ing around.

But... another way to do it - by Root Explorer from the Market and you can use the application to do it for you. But I'm a broke mofo and like figuring things out.

Good luck!
5th January 2011, 09:27 AM |#24  

More
Thank you very muxh.. Your directions were excellent....

By the way the copy must be done into /data/local in order the boot animation work

How and where do we put or find a sound for the boot animation???
24th January 2011, 05:07 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilob

I was having a similar issue. Maybe I can help.

First, I am already rooted and have busybox installed. Don't know if that matters, but can't hurt.

Here's what you can do:

Code:
C:\Program Files\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
$ mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
/dev/block/stl6 /mnt/.lfs j4fs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,cpu 0 0
/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs rw,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,ioc
harset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocha
rset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iochar
set=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset
=utf8 0 0
/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=
1015,fmask=0102,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,s
hortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
$
At this point, we can see that /system is mounted at /dev/block/stl9. With that knowledge:

Code:
$ su
# mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system
Now your free to do whatever it is you were trying to do. When you're done, don't forget to :

Code:
# mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/stl9 /system
That should do it. Standard disclaimer, not responsible, blah,blah,blah...

Thank you! This worked perfectly for me.
30th January 2011, 03:24 AM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertag

Did you do the "mount -o remount,ro ..." before you exited the shell ? sounds like your still on Read-only .

-First thing copy the .apk app into the sdk tools folder.
-Then do the following

Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system
exit
exit

-Now from your windows command prompt in sdk tools folder
adb push my_app.apk /system/app

-Once your finish
adb reboot
After the reboot your /system is returned to it's original read-only state.

Quote:

First, I am already rooted and have busybox installed. Don't know if that matters, but can't hurt.

Here's what you can do:

Code:
$ mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,ioc
harset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocha
rset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iochar
set=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset
=utf8 0 0
/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=
1015,fmask=0102,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,s
$
At this point, we can see that /system is mounted at /dev/block/stl9. With that knowledge:

Code:
$ su
Now your free to do whatever it is you were trying to do. When you're done, don't forget to :

Code:

Thanks to both of you

Was able to restore my framework-res
1st February 2011, 12:35 AM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftJudgement

Thank you! This worked perfectly for me.

And now I can't get it to work again.

Trying to push my framework, but I keep getting "No such file or directory" or "Permission denied." Went through all of these steps, multiple times.

It's really weird because I had this same problem before, and was able to get a mount. Now, following the same steps, I can't get one.

EDIT: It's also strange, because I can pull from /system just fine. No idea why remount and push don't work.
16th February 2011, 07:54 PM |#28  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 32

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighurk

i tried adb remount r/w and i get the following message:

D:\ANDROID SDK\android-sdk-windows>cd tools

D:\ANDROID SDK\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb remount r/w
remount failed: No such file or directory

D:\ANDROID SDK\android-sdk-windows\tools>

Use this instead
Code:
adb remount rw
Koda
16th February 2011, 08:46 PM |#29  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 408

Donate to Me
More
Just an FYI on adb remount, it will fail if running a stock kernel even if you are rooted.

You will need a kernel in which the dev set ro.secure=0 in the build.prop file for adb remount to work.
26th February 2011, 10:04 PM |#30  

More
Hi, Everyone.

I'm a total noob at this, but when I type:

Code:
adb remount rw
it says the remount succeeded, but my system folder still shows:

Code:
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /system cramfs ro 0 0
USB debugging is on.

Any help would be very appreciated. I've got a CMP738a device with an RK2818 chip. I (with the help of the good people at Slatedroid) was able to modify it to run the Android Market, but I'm having no luck in modifying the device with ADB.

Thanks.
11th March 2011, 02:55 AM |#31  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

Here's what you can do:

Code:
$ mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
harset=utf8 0 0
rset=utf8 0 0
set=utf8 0 0
=utf8 0 0
$

Code:
$ su

Code:

Thank you so much!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)