FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Remote GPS Activation / SMS GPS Enabler

41 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By InfiniteImmortal, Member on 15th February 2011, 11:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everyone,

Okay this might be a dumb question but I'm going to ask. Is there a way to remotely enable/activate the GPS and WiFi on my Android phone through a text message? I currently have GPS Tracker, Lost My Droid, Real Time GPS Tracker, Seek Droid, SMS GPS Enabler, and Where's My Droid installed on my phone to try and remotely turn on my GPS and WiFi. The problem is that yes sending the text to my phone and have the sound go off for Where's My Droid and Lost My Droid works, but the problem is having my GPS and WiFi turned off on my phone and not hearing because its not there. Yes, their are plenty of good apps that let you track your phone if your GPS is on, but they do not allow you to turn on GPS and WiFi through (SMS) text. So all and all, is there an app or apps that can do this for me, so I can do what I want to do?

Any information would be helpful, instructions would be better lol.
Thanks, II

16th February 2011, 03:07 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteImmortal

Hi everyone,

Okay this might be a dumb question but I'm going to ask. Is there a way to remotely enable/activate the GPS and WiFi on my Android phone through a text message? I currently have GPS Tracker, Lost My Droid, Real Time GPS Tracker, Seek Droid, SMS GPS Enabler, and Where's My Droid installed on my phone to try and remotely turn on my GPS and WiFi. The problem is that yes sending the text to my phone and have the sound go off for Where's My Droid and Lost My Droid works, but the problem is having my GPS and WiFi turned off on my phone and not hearing because its not there. Yes, their are plenty of good apps that let you track your phone if your GPS is on, but they do not allow you to turn on GPS and WiFi through (SMS) text. So all and all, is there an app or apps that can do this for me, so I can do what I want to do?

Any information would be helpful, instructions would be better lol.
Thanks, II

I am the Dev of seek droid. Why leave the GPS disabled? It really does not conserve that much battery. Enabling the GPS does not leave the GPS turned on or even give the GPS any power unless the application you are using requests GPS.
16th February 2011, 07:20 AM |#3  
Flag Summerville, SC
Thanks Meter: 383

More
Go pick up tasker from the market, and you can create a profile to have it enable gps whenever you get an sms.

You should probably have taker already anyways. It's a beast.

Herp derp Captivate XDA App
17th February 2011, 04:11 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaa

I am the Dev of seek droid. Why leave the GPS disabled? It really does not conserve that much battery. Enabling the GPS does not leave the GPS turned on or even give the GPS any power unless the application you are using requests GPS.

For some reason on my phone if I leave the GPS enabled it will drain out my battery in a few hours (8hrs). Where as if I turn GPS off, my battery has lasted up to almost 16hrs which is double and it is the only setting that I have changed.
17th February 2011, 04:14 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizz0wn3d

Go pick up tasker from the market, and you can create a profile to have it enable gps whenever you get an sms.

You should probably have taker already anyways. It's a beast.

Thanks for the advice pizz0wn3d. I will look into Tasker and see if it works for me and what I need it to do.
17th February 2011, 04:53 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
f you don't see the satellite dish in the notification bar then it really shouldn't use any battery, even if GPS is enabled. If you have location stuff turned on so the GPS is being used (i.e. you see the satellite dish in the notification bar) it will use battery.

Bob
17th February 2011, 07:15 AM |#7  
Flag Summerville, SC

More
Quote:

Thanks for the advice pizz0wn3d. I will look into Tasker and see if it works for me and what I need it to do.

Let me know and I can send you the profile I use. It makes the phone talk (alerting them that gps is being remotely enabled to track the phone down) and sends a confirmation text to the number that activates the gps. Then you can use "wheres my droid" or whatever else to track that S.O.B. down.
:P

Edit: Speellieng

Herp Derp Captivate XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to pizz0wn3d For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pizz0wn3d Ad-Free
17th February 2011, 07:35 AM |#8  
OP Member

More
Talking That would be Great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizz0wn3d

Let me know and I can send you the profile I use. It makes the phone talk (alerting them that gps is being remotely enabled to track the phone down) and sends a confirmation text to the number that activates the gps. Then you can use "wheres my droid" or whatever else to track that S.O.B. down.
:P

Thanks, pizz0wn3d that would be great! I looked up Tasker, it has a great many features that I can see paying for, but did not see the remote GPS activation/enabling in its description, on their website, or wiki. If you can, also send me the direction on how to set it up to do it. I might whined up missing something up with 190 options. But can always re-ROM if need be.
17th February 2011, 07:42 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Wink I know
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtconsultants

f you don't see the satellite dish in the notification bar then it really shouldn't use any battery, even if GPS is enabled. If you have location stuff turned on so the GPS is being used (i.e. you see the satellite dish in the notification bar) it will use battery.

Bob

Bob, I do know this. For some reason my Map app starts up on its own and launches Latitude causing my GPS to activate and stay on. I don't want to uninstall Maps or Latitude because I do use them. Its easier to just turn off GPS then hassle with trying to find the source of the problem, in truth.
17th February 2011, 08:38 AM |#10  
Flag Summerville, SC

More
Quote:

Thanks, pizz0wn3d that would be great! I looked up Tasker, it has a great many features that I can see paying for, but did not see the remote GPS activation/enabling in its description, on their website, or wiki. If you can, also send me the direction on how to set it up to do it. I might whined up missing something up with 190 options. But can always re-ROM if need be.

Well the way my profile is set up, whenever I receive a text with a certain phrase in it, it'll turn on the gps. Along with a few other things :P

It's not one of the advertised features because it's just one of the many things you can do with it.

I'll try to post a dropbox link in a few minutes.

Edit: This oughta work. Import this into tasker.

http://db.tt/D7u8eKw
It should be able to import after you paste the xml file into:
/sdcard/tasker/profiles

Then just hit menu -> profile data -> import one profile

Herp Derp Captivate XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to pizz0wn3d For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pizz0wn3d Ad-Free
17th February 2011, 11:37 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 259

More
Quote:

Bob, I do know this. For some reason my Map app starts up on its own and launches Latitude causing my GPS to activate and stay on. I don't want to uninstall Maps or Latitude because I do use them. Its easier to just turn off GPS then hassle with trying to find the source of the problem, in truth.

If you use Latitude, it will be on all the time and cause battery drain because it needs update your location 24/7 even if Gmaps is not used. You don't have to uninstall it. Just make sure you log out of Latitude if you don't use it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
activation, enabler, gps, remote, sms

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)