FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Remote GPS Activation / SMS GPS Enabler

41 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By InfiniteImmortal, Member on 15th February 2011, 11:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th February 2011, 11:37 AM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 259
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteImmortal

Bob, I do know this. For some reason my Map app starts up on its own and launches Latitude causing my GPS to activate and stay on. I don't want to uninstall Maps or Latitude because I do use them. Its easier to just turn off GPS then hassle with trying to find the source of the problem, in truth.

If you use Latitude, it will be on all the time and cause battery drain because it needs update your location 24/7 even if Gmaps is not used. You don't have to uninstall it. Just make sure you log out of Latitude if you don't use it.
 
 
18th February 2011, 06:16 AM |#12  
sycko's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Seek Droid
18th February 2011, 12:57 PM |#13  
opcow's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ice Station Zebra
Thanks Meter: 134
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizz0wn3d

Let me know and I can send you the profile I use. It makes the phone talk (alerting them that gps is being remotely enabled to track the phone down) and sends a confirmation text to the number that activates the gps. Then you can use "wheres my droid" or whatever else to track that S.O.B. down.
:P

Alerting them sounds like a bad idea. I envision a battery pull or a phone being tossed out the window of a moving vehicle.
18th February 2011, 08:06 PM |#14  
pizz0wn3d's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Summerville, SC
Thanks Meter: 383
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by opcow

Alerting them sounds like a bad idea. I envision a battery pull or a phone being tossed out the window of a moving vehicle.

Haha maybe. I wasn't thinking of it that way. It creates a notification telling them to call the number that I texted them from to return the phone to the owner.

Plus I thought it would be funny to scare whoever has the phone. Now im starting to think of it as a bad idea thanks to your post..
>.>

Herp Derp Captivate XDA
18th February 2011, 10:07 PM |#15  
InfiniteImmortal's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizz0wn3d

Haha maybe. I wasn't thinking of it that way. It creates a notification telling them to call the number that I texted them from to return the phone to the owner.

Plus I thought it would be funny to scare whoever has the phone. Now im starting to think of it as a bad idea thanks to your post..
>.>

Herp Derp Captivate XDA

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I looked at it, so I just removed it for the profile you gave me. But it works very nicely in part with Seek Droid.

Thanks Again.
18th February 2011, 10:11 PM |#16  
pizz0wn3d's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Summerville, SC
Thanks Meter: 383
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteImmortal

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I looked at it, so I just removed it for the profile you gave me. But it works very nicely in part with Seek Droid.

Thanks Again.

For sure, glad to help.



Herp Derp Captivate XDA
18th February 2011, 10:25 PM |#17  
InfiniteImmortal's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizz0wn3d

For sure, glad to help.

You don't reply to private messages do you pizz0wn3d? Questions are, Is there a site to download prebuilt profiles for Tasker? Second, What are the features to have your phone go to lock screen and ring remotely. Mine aren't working that I built.

Last questions for you, at least for now, lol

II
19th February 2011, 02:23 AM |#18  
pizz0wn3d's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Summerville, SC
Thanks Meter: 383
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteImmortal

You don't reply to private messages do you pizz0wn3d? Questions are, Is there a site to download prebuilt profiles for Tasker? Second, What are the features to have your phone go to lock screen and ring remotely. Mine aren't working that I built.

Last questions for you, at least for now, lol

II

Oh sorry, normally I do but I haven't been on xda outside of the app in a few days so I haven't been able to look at my messages.

There is a wiki on the app that has a bunch of different profiles you can try out, as well as a couple of tutorials to get the hang of making profiles.
Link:
http://tasker.wikidot.com/profile-index

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about going to the lock screen, as idk if it's possible to do that though tasker. I'll mess around and see what I can find.

What exactly are you trying to do that requires you to go to the lockscreen and play a ringtone?

Herp Derp Captivate XDA
19th February 2011, 07:55 AM |#19  
InfiniteImmortal's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Unhappy My failed creations
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizz0wn3d

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about going to the lock screen, as idk if it's possible to do that though tasker. I'll mess around and see what I can find.

What exactly are you trying to do that requires you to go to the lockscreen and play a ringtone?

Well for the lock screen; I was trying a remote lock down after I enabled the GPS tracking, so they could not turn it off, other then removing the battery of course. The only thing I can do right now is, set screen time out to 7sec. which is the smallest amount Tasker allows. The lock in Tasker is a joke because if you click on the notification bar at the top and select something you can bypass the lock, even in full screen mode.

As for the Ringtone/Ringer; I was trying to setup the phone to ring when people text me, similar to that of Where's My Droid, but with a twist. When I get their text, the assigned ringtone under their contacts or from file would play, that way I would know who it was without having to look at my phone every time. For this one in particular; do you or someone else know how Where's My Droids setup works? Then I can try to base it off of that. From what I can tell, it tricks the SMS into using the the ringer system and not the notification system. So a bait and switch from SMS Receiver to Cell Receiver. That's all I know for now.

Thanks for the link! I'll go through it to learn some more about Tasker.
19th February 2011, 08:42 AM |#20  
pizz0wn3d's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Summerville, SC
Thanks Meter: 383
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteImmortal

Well for the lock screen; I was trying a remote lock down after I enabled the GPS tracking, so they could not turn it off, other then removing the battery of course. The only thing I can do right now is, set screen time out to 7sec. which is the smallest amount Tasker allows. The lock in Tasker is a joke because if you click on the notification bar at the top and select something you can bypass the lock, even in full screen mode.

As for the Ringtone/Ringer; I was trying to setup the phone to ring when people text me, similar to that of Where's My Droid, but with a twist. When I get their text, the assigned ringtone under their contacts or from file would play, that way I would know who it was without having to look at my phone every time. For this one in particular; do you or someone else know how Where's My Droids setup works? Then I can try to base it off of that. From what I can tell, it tricks the SMS into using the the ringer system and not the notification system. So a bait and switch from SMS Receiver to Cell Receiver. That's all I know for now.

Thanks for the link! I'll go through it to learn some more about Tasker.

I've never tried to set up a remote lock through tasker, I just had it set up to enable the GPS so I could lock+retrieve it via wheres my droid/lookout. But i have heard that the tasker lock down was pretty weak >.<

I actually never realized the phone didn't support custom tones for contacts outside of the calling ringtones. That actually sounds pretty difficult to implement via tasker. You would first have to disable notifications from your sms app so the tasker profile wouldn't just play a sound over that one. You'd also likely have to create a separate profile for each contact that you want to have a custom sms tone for.
19th February 2011, 09:15 AM |#21  
InfiniteImmortal's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Lightbulb Ideas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizz0wn3d

I actually never realized the phone didn't support custom tones for contacts outside of the calling ringtones. That actually sounds pretty difficult to implement via tasker. You would first have to disable notifications from your sms app so the tasker profile wouldn't just play a sound over that one. You'd also likely have to create a separate profile for each contact that you want to have a custom sms tone for.

This statement is true "I actually never realized the phone didn't support custom tones for contacts outside of the calling ringtones." which is something I want to try and do on my Android, because I was able to do it on my old iPhone. On the iPhone I thought it was simple, but with Android I don't know the systems well enough.

When you told me about Tasker I went yeah! But now, not so much. What's with this; "You would first have to disable notifications from your sms app so the tasker profile wouldn't just play a sound over that one." couldn't you just set up a variable with specific number set to play certain files and not disable anything? As for this; "You'd also likely have to create a separate profile for each contact that you want to have a custom sms tone for." I thought of that as well and said to myself, "set one up and have it working then clone it" and "then change the numbers and sound files". Which is not as hard as trying to create a new profile every time.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
activation, enabler, gps, remote, sms

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes