FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Remote GPS Activation / SMS GPS Enabler

41 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By InfiniteImmortal, Member on 15th February 2011, 11:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th February 2011, 09:15 AM |#21  
InfiniteImmortal's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Lightbulb Ideas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizz0wn3d

I actually never realized the phone didn't support custom tones for contacts outside of the calling ringtones. That actually sounds pretty difficult to implement via tasker. You would first have to disable notifications from your sms app so the tasker profile wouldn't just play a sound over that one. You'd also likely have to create a separate profile for each contact that you want to have a custom sms tone for.

This statement is true "I actually never realized the phone didn't support custom tones for contacts outside of the calling ringtones." which is something I want to try and do on my Android, because I was able to do it on my old iPhone. On the iPhone I thought it was simple, but with Android I don't know the systems well enough.

When you told me about Tasker I went yeah! But now, not so much. What's with this; "You would first have to disable notifications from your sms app so the tasker profile wouldn't just play a sound over that one." couldn't you just set up a variable with specific number set to play certain files and not disable anything? As for this; "You'd also likely have to create a separate profile for each contact that you want to have a custom sms tone for." I thought of that as well and said to myself, "set one up and have it working then clone it" and "then change the numbers and sound files". Which is not as hard as trying to create a new profile every time.
 
 
19th February 2011, 09:54 AM |#22  
pizz0wn3d's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Summerville, SC
Thanks Meter: 383
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteImmortal

This statement is true "I actually never realized the phone didn't support custom tones for contacts outside of the calling ringtones." which is something I want to try and do on my Android, because I was able to do it on my old iPhone. On the iPhone I thought it was simple, but with Android I don't know the systems well enough.

When you told me about Tasker I went yeah! But now, not so much. What's with this; "You would first have to disable notifications from your sms app so the tasker profile wouldn't just play a sound over that one." couldn't you just set up a variable with specific number set to play certain files and not disable anything? As for this; "You'd also likely have to create a separate profile for each contact that you want to have a custom sms tone for." I thought of that as well and said to myself, "set one up and have it working then clone it" and "then change the numbers and sound files". Which is not as hard as trying to create a new profile every time.

You could set up a tasker profile to play the sound, but the problem is that it wont stop the sms app from playing it's notification, so you'd end up getting a double notification unless you disabled the one from the sms app you use.

You could probably just set the priority higher though (also clicking "stop task") and create a custom notification in tasker for when you receive an sms. The higher priority and enabling the "stop task" function should stop the default notification from playing (or at least I think so).

Cloning the profiles would definitely be the easiest way to go about doing this though. Just gotta change the contexts on each one to activate on different phone numbers. I'll try to make some profiles and post them up so you can see what I'm talking about if you want.



Herp Derp Captivate XDA
19th February 2011, 09:58 AM |#23  
pizz0wn3d's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Summerville, SC
Thanks Meter: 383
 
More
Haha you know what? Handcent sms already supports this. Open up a conversation thread from inside the app and theres a little settings button for that contact up on the top right of the screen. You can manage the notifications for that person there.

MUCH easier imo.

Herp Derp Captivate XDA
19th February 2011, 10:48 AM |#24  
InfiniteImmortal's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Question ?What?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizz0wn3d

Haha you know what? Handcent sms already supports this. Open up a conversation thread from inside the app and theres a little settings button for that contact up on the top right of the screen. You can manage the notifications for that person there.

MUCH easier imo.

I've never seen that anywhere and I've been looking too. I could not fine this "Open up a conversation thread from inside the app and theres a little settings button for that contact up on the top right of the screen." If I don't have it for some reason, could it be because I'm running Cognition v3.04? If so, I'm just going to do the Profiles. If you could do one so I could see way your talking about that would be nice, doing the Tasker update now. As for what you said up above, I could just set the notification sound to none/silent and won't have two trying to play at the same time. I agree with what your saying if you keep the sound on though.

Time to sleep, chat more in some hours, reading half of the Tasker site is making me sleepy. Be back later.
19th February 2011, 10:13 PM |#25  
pizz0wn3d's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Summerville, SC
Thanks Meter: 383
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteImmortal

I've never seen that anywhere and I've been looking too. I could not fine this "Open up a conversation thread from inside the app and theres a little settings button for that contact up on the top right of the screen." If I don't have it for some reason, could it be because I'm running Cognition v3.04? If so, I'm just going to do the Profiles. If you could do one so I could see way your talking about that would be nice, doing the Tasker update now. As for what you said up above, I could just set the notification sound to none/silent and won't have two trying to play at the same time. I agree with what your saying if you keep the sound on though.

Time to sleep, chat more in some hours, reading half of the Tasker site is making me sleepy. Be back later.

This is the part i was talking about:



Herp Derp Captivate XDA
20th February 2011, 07:57 AM |#26  
InfiniteImmortal's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thumbs down no where to be found
I don't have that icon anywhere on my phone. I checked messages, contacts, email, settings, etc. and its no where to be found. What ROM are you, yourself running? It might just be I need to change ROMs, which would not be a big problem. I'll just have to keep working on the one I have in Tasker for now. Thanks for the visual aid, it was helpful to see if I had it or not.
20th February 2011, 09:41 AM |#27  
pizz0wn3d's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Summerville, SC
Thanks Meter: 383
 
More
It shouldn't have anything to do with your rom as it's just a feature of the app. What sms app are you using? The one in the picture, that I'm talking about, is Handcent SMS.I've used it on multiple ROMs and that button has always been there, even when I used cog 3.02 and the earlier version.


Edit: my rom, kernel, and modem information are all in my sig.
Herp Derp Captivate XDA
20th February 2011, 08:28 PM |#28  
InfiniteImmortal's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thumbs up Cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizz0wn3d

What sms app are you using? The one in the picture, that I'm talking about, is Handcent SMS.

Sorry did look at your signature before. As for the SMS, I have ether used the default one in the ROM's or the GV one. Never thought of downloading one to see if I could get my old feature back. As always thanks for the help pizz0wn3d.
21st February 2011, 07:01 AM |#29  
pizz0wn3d's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Summerville, SC
Thanks Meter: 383
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteImmortal

Sorry did look at your signature before. As for the SMS, I have ether used the default one in the ROM's or the GV one. Never thought of downloading one to see if I could get my old feature back. As always thanks for the help pizz0wn3d.

Lol no problem. Glad you got it figured out.

Herp Derp Captivate XDA
21st March 2011, 10:48 PM |#30  
Senior Member
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 11
 
Donate to Me
More
Sorry to dig this thread up. I'm the developer for SMS GPS Enabler and I would like to clear up some things.

First off, "turning gps on" does not drain any battery at all. It is only when an application requests your location that battery is drained. If you find that your battery is being drained very quickly when you turn gps on, you must have an app that is constantly requesting your location. You should uninstall this app.

However many people like to disable gps for other reasons so that is why I created this app. I just released a new version where you can change the commands to turn on wifi or gps. You can find my app here
I also have a paid version that lets you change your ringer settings, led, bluetooth and other things. You can find it here

If you have any questions or feature requests, feel free to click the email the developer link or PM me.
22nd March 2011, 01:23 AM |#31  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Great Topic..but..
What if its stolen and the phone is off? Is there commands to turn it on. The reason why Im thinking this could be done, is because I have a spare phone i use (nokia c3) , when the phone is off the alarm will still ring. It scared me the other morning lol.
Now I do not know much about this stuff but I wonder if it could be done, maybe it cant, but since this cheap 50$ phone can do something similar it gave me hope!
If it cant, what about a sms to put the phone into a deep sleep so whomever stole the phone actuallly thinks its off. Thats if they dont pull the battery. because even with a screen lock you can still turn it off..I dont like that.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
activation, enabler, gps, remote, sms

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes