FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Locked bootloader!?!

47 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By saditch, Member on 9th April 2013, 04:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
According to Paul O'brien (who from what I understand is a pretty solid source) AT&T has locked down the One's bootloader, like it did with the One X. Apparently that turned out to be a huge mess. Was totally planning on getting this, now I'm strongly reconsidering...

Here's the post: https://twitter.com/PaulOBrien/statu...68521521881088.
9th April 2013, 05:11 PM |#2  
Flag ATX
Thanks Meter: 149

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saditch

According to Paul O'brien (who from what I understand is a pretty solid source) AT&T has locked down the One's bootloader, like it did with the One X. Apparently that turned out to be a huge mess. Was totally planning on getting this, now I'm strongly reconsidering...

Here's the post: https://twitter.com/PaulOBrien/statu...68521521881088.

lololol, not this **** again.
9th April 2013, 05:20 PM |#3  
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 1,383

Donate to Me
More
This is why I got the Dev edition

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superchilpil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift superchilpil Ad-Free
9th April 2013, 05:43 PM |#4  
Flag Springfield
Thanks Meter: 3,364

More
Not surprised by this at all its att it sucks i wish i could have bought the development edition but I have faith the people here will crack it

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
9th April 2013, 06:07 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,920

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saditch

According to Paul O'brien (who from what I understand is a pretty solid source) AT&T has locked down the One's bootloader, like it did with the One X. Apparently that turned out to be a huge mess.

I've been on the One X forums from just about the start, and I'm not sure I would call it a "huge mess". A bootloader unlock method was discovered and posted by an XDA dev a little over 2 weeks after the device was released.

What turned out to be a bit more of a mess, is that root was needed to get the bootloader unlock, and HTC kept patching the existing root exploit with every firmware update.

This is indeed disappointing. But I won't believe it 100% until the phone is actually released, and people try to unlock the bootloader. Even then, the phone will be a popular one, and I have faith that the devs here will crack it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
9th April 2013, 06:25 PM |#6  
Flag Bowling Green, KY
Thanks Meter: 372

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchilpil

This is why I got the Dev edition

+1

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
9th April 2013, 06:32 PM |#7  
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 158

More
To the OP.. Where have you been lately? this isn't no surprise to anyone that the phone has a lock bootloader

And to all of you buying the dev edition, whats the point of a unlock bootloader if you don't have s-off?
The Following User Says Thank You to YoungAceAtlanta For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift YoungAceAtlanta Ad-Free
9th April 2013, 06:44 PM |#8  
Flag ATX
Thanks Meter: 149

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungAceAtlanta

To the OP.. Where have you been lately? this isn't no surprise to anyone that the phone has a lock bootloader

And to all of you buying the dev edition, whats the point of a unlock bootloader if you don't have s-off?

Really though, the amount of modders who need SOFF to do what they want is like less than 5% of the mod community. Root typically handles most issues. Unlocked bootloader is just that barrier above root.

Though, I'm kind of mad that HTC isn't sticking it to ATT on this and telling them to bugger off. Tmobiles is unlocked...
9th April 2013, 06:51 PM |#9  
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 1,383

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

I've been on the One X forums from just about the start, and I'm not sure I would call it a "huge mess". A bootloader unlock method was discovered and posted by an XDA dev a little over 2 weeks after the device was released.

What turned out to be a bit more of a mess, is that root was needed to get the bootloader unlock, and HTC kept patching the existing root exploit with every firmware update.

This is indeed disappointing. But I won't believe it 100% until the phone is actually released, and people try to unlock the bootloader. Even then, the phone will be a popular one, and I have faith that the devs here will crack it.

If I read correctly, someone stated that the cid partition was write protected on the one
So since supercid was how we unlocked the boot loader it may be a bit more difficult on the one

9th April 2013, 07:08 PM |#10  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Quote:

If I read correctly, someone stated that the cid partition was write protected on the one
So since supercid was how we unlocked the boot loader it may be a bit more difficult on the one

I don't know much about the typical bootloader unlocking methods, but saw this recent article about unlocking newer Qualcomm-based Motorola phones. Not that this method will work on the AT&T One, but hopefully a similar method can be found if none of the current tricks work.
9th April 2013, 07:19 PM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,920

More
Quote:

My comment had to do more with informing the previous poster what actually happened on the One X (that he seemed to mostly only know about 2nd hand), rather than speculating on what HTC has done on this upcoming phone. As we know, HTC is a tricky bugger, and I won't even begin to try to guess what security enhancements they have up their sleeve this time around!

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungAceAtlanta

whats the point of a unlock bootloader if you don't have s-off?

You can root, install custom recovery, and flash custom ROMs with an unlocked bootloader.

S-off allows some other things, such as modding hboot, and flashing radios. But its not needed for flashing custom ROMs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)