Screen faded colors slowly come back......

Search This thread

dockinj

Jul 12, 2012
Dallas
I just got my Nexus 7 tablet today and installed an XO screen protector, by the book. It works fine for the longest time no issues. Then all of a sudden as the tablet was locked, I picked up and unlocked it and the screen was faded very badly. Like it was almost white as you can see with the 3 screenshots below that look faded. Then after about 10 minutes the colors come back.

I purchased from Sam's club with the warranty. Should I take it back for an exchange immediately? If I do this I lost the $20 XO Skin cover I now have installed on the device. Some may ask if the screen protector could be causing the fade. I guess it could be but why would it then come back later? Should I just power it down and wait for a day to see if its just an anomaly?

Both Good and Bad pictures attached below, should be fairly obvious which are good and which are bad.
Please HELP.

r4d14n7

Jun 20, 2009
TX
Contact XOSkins and see if you can exchange. They may honor the normal warranty exchange of you paying shipping both ways. You send the old one back, they send you a new one.

dockinj

Jul 12, 2012
Dallas
Contact XOSkins and see if you can exchange. They may honor the normal warranty exchange of you paying shipping both ways. You send the old one back, they send you a new one.

Really? On what basis do I ask for this? Do I just call and tell them my tablet went bad after I placed the skin on it?

Thanks a ton. BTW I don't know if you have the gray cover Google was selling with the N7 but it is AWESOME. Very sleek and snug to the device and feels solid for a cover. But no magnet :)

agtitan

Dec 26, 2010
I'm having the same problem on my tablet. Really frustrating

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

dockinj

Jul 12, 2012
Dallas
Any luck?

I have been working on some other things and have now noticed that it takes about 5 minutes for the color to fully restore the color. When I first wake the tablet it is extremely cloudy and washed out to the point the colors are barely visible. Then slowly the colors return over about a 5 minute period.

gcalderonperez said:
Im trying to get a replacement from Google but lines are way too busy...

Any luck on the replacement? I think I am going to take mine in tomorrow to Sams and see what they say. If they give me trouble I did purchase the warranty bout I am hoping that Sams will just replace it with a new one.

r4d14n7

Jun 20, 2009
TX
Really? On what basis do I ask for this? Do I just call and tell them my tablet went bad after I placed the skin on it?

Thanks a ton. BTW I don't know if you have the gray cover Google was selling with the N7 but it is AWESOME. Very sleek and snug to the device and feels solid for a cover. But no magnet :)

They do have a warranty for scratched or torn screen protectors. I don't know if they'll cover it if you applied the skin and had to get a warranty replacement for the device. I would Peel it off right before you send the nexus back and check with XO.

Also, someone else found that this may be caused by some special function of the tegra 3 that causes movies to have truer color, yet washes out the screen when done with the video. It might be a software issue.

rushter

Jul 19, 2010
Kawasaki City
I just got my Nexus 7 tablet today and installed an XO screen protector, by the book. It works fine for the longest time no issues. Then all of a sudden as the tablet was locked, I picked up and unlocked it and the screen was faded very badly. Like it was almost white as you can see with the 3 screenshots below that look faded. Then after about 10 minutes the colors come back.

I purchased from Sam's club with the warranty. Should I take it back for an exchange immediately? If I do this I lost the $20 XO Skin cover I now have installed on the device. Some may ask if the screen protector could be causing the fade. I guess it could be but why would it then come back later? Should I just power it down and wait for a day to see if its just an anomaly?

Both Good and Bad pictures attached below, should be fairly obvious which are good and which are bad.
Please HELP.

Mine just started doing this today. Anyone sent theirs back for a replacement?
Sucks cuz I live in Japan.

Also, once the screen protector answer was given that, no, it's not your protector, why were there 10 answers about replacing the damn screen protectors?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

rushter

Jul 19, 2010
Kawasaki City
Mine is on its way back for replacement.
Google didn't even question me about it or try do any troubleshooting. Just sent an RMA email and UPS label email to me.
Makes me believe that they know about this issue and just go ahead and send a new one out.

Sent from my SC-02C using xda app-developers app

jutley

Mar 23, 2006
UK
Guy guys it's not your tablet your wasting your time sending it back it's confirmed as a tegrachip problem there is a fix on this forum but you need root.Your find your replacements will be the same just have to try the fix or sit tight and wait for google to address the problem via ota update sometime soon.

rushter

Jul 19, 2010
Kawasaki City
I tried the "fix". Didn't work. Google didn't even try to get me to troubleshoot. I told them the issue with a pic attached and got the RMA instructions back. They know there's a problem and they are not trying to help anyone fix it.

Saenzscene

Jun 30, 2011
El Paso
I like the display but noticed a difference in color. I'm not sure if its because I'm comparing it to my one x. I want to try the "fix" but I'm holding off a little to see whether Google sends out an ota soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7

rushter

Jul 19, 2010
Kawasaki City
I tried the "fix". Didn't work. Google didn't even try to get me to troubleshoot. I told them the issue with a pic attached and got the RMA instructions back. They know there's a problem and they are not trying to help anyone fix it.

Got my RMA'd Nexus back today. Rooted already and tried a YouTube video. No problems at all. Yet.

Mungulz

Oct 5, 2011
Sydney
Umm mine does this.. Noticeably after playing the included transformers video, the screen will be faded for around 10 seconds.

I'm inclined to think it's a Tegra 3 problem. I remember reading about 6 months ago that the upcoming Tegra 3 chip was meant to dynamically adjust the backlight while playing videos, for power saving.

It's probably just this backlight adjustment system glitching up and not knowing what to do after a movie is exited. Doesn't really explain why it's happening for sleep wakes though

Edit:

Managed to find the exact article I read, was longer than 6 months ago lol.
The technology is called DIDIM and Jen-Hsun described how it works. “It’s the ability to per pixel, per frame, per scene to modulate the backlight so quickly that we over a long period of time, reduce the amount of backlight intensity and backlight energy by nearly half. We save as much power in the backlight without changing the visual fidelity at all to save, essentially, the entire power used by our chip.” NVIDIA says your eyes see the same color temperature, so you can’t tell the difference.
source: http://androidandme.com/2011/11/new...dim-technology-reduces-backlight-power-by-40/