[HOWTO MAY16]UNLOCK BOOTLOADER, FLASH RECOVERY, INSTALL ROM Atrix 4G Bell/int'l + ATT

Search This thread

gkarthik16

Dec 25, 2010
Atlanta
Need help on these doubts

Hi guys,

After I unlock the BL using this guide, do I need to follow any method to root the phone or does flashing the RomRacer's recovery will automatically root the phone?

I could not find any info on the first post about rooting. It is just about unlocking the BL, flashing the recovery and installing a custom ROM.

And what is the ram fix? Where do I find it?

Please clarify me on these doubts. I can't wait to flash CM on my Atrix:D

ChanBeiBei

Mar 6, 2012
Hi guys,

After I unlock the BL using this guide, do I need to follow any method to root the phone or does flashing the RomRacer's recovery will automatically root the phone?

I could not find any info on the first post about rooting. It is just about unlocking the BL, flashing the recovery and installing a custom ROM.

And what is the ram fix? Where do I find it?

Please clarify me on these doubts. I can't wait to flash CM on my Atrix:D

You mentioned yourself that this guide explains how to install a custom ROM as well, Well, CM is a custom ROM and you can follow the same instructions to install it. CM is already rooted.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA

Reactions: gkarthik16

gkarthik16

Dec 25, 2010
Atlanta
You mentioned yourself that this guide explains how to install a custom ROM as well, Well, CM is a custom ROM and you can follow the same instructions to install it. CM is already rooted.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA

You mean to say that the ROM itself is rooted, so there is no need to root the phone separately?

I'm asking this because, based on my experiences with my previous phone, LG P500, you cannot install a recovery unless the phone is rooted. But in this guide, the recovery is flashed straight after unlocking the BL, without having a root method in between. I'm not clear how it works at this point.

ChanBeiBei

Mar 6, 2012
You mean to say that the ROM itself is rooted, so there is no need to root the phone separately?

I'm asking this because, based on my experiences with my previous phone, LG P500, you cannot install a recovery unless the phone is rooted. But in this guide, the recovery is flashed straight after unlocking the BL, without having a root method in between. I'm not clear how it works at this point.

CM ROM is already rooted. I unlocked the Atrix without rooting but follow the instructions described here.

Sent from my HUAWEI MediaPad using XDA

Reactions: gkarthik16

gkarthik16

Dec 25, 2010
Atlanta
Last edited:

djuri1985

Jan 22, 2011
Subotica
A Noob's best friend is a Noob himself :p

Thanks so much for the straight-forward guide! Worked fine on 2.3.4 firmware 4.5.2a

I ran into a boot-loop after unlocking. Flashed RomRacer's recovery and did a factory reset and wiped everything I could wipe (Dalvik cache and some other stuff, cant remember). That fixed it.

abaithad

Mar 31, 2010
Thank you for this good tutorial,
It worked well for me and now i'm enjoying CM9 experience!

tayshun12

Oct 13, 2011
Hey all,

I'm glad that you guys like my tutorial!

I didnt realize that it had so many views lol :p

I tried to keep it as straight forward for the most part, but I will edit the post to clarify to people about most(if not all) custom roms being rooted.

I'll try to remain on the atrix scene, although I have parted and got the samsung I927r (Captivate Glide) although I preferred my Atrix .

But if I'm not around I'm sure that regular forum go-ers are more than happy to help you guys out!.

If anything just PM me.

Tayshun12

Stenlius

Apr 17, 2008
Sofia
Hello,

i am trying to unlock my atrix, but all alltemps failed.

1. root; flashing unlock.sbf ->Failed to boot 1
2. flashing "1FF-olympus_emara-user-2.3.4-4.5.2A-74_OLE-31.20-release-keys-signed-NonEFIGSRetail-EU" the only that works -> not unlockable with the unlock.sbf
3. flashing "1FF-olympus_emara-user-2.3.4-4.5.2A-74_OLE-31-release-keys-signed-rtdach.sbf" -> installation aborted

--------------
German ATRIX (1 week with original vodafone 2.3.4)
System 45.31.20.MB8600.NonEFIGSRetail.en.EU (now, sorry i dont know the original vodafone befor flashing)
Model MB8600
Android 2.3.4
Baseband N_01.100.00R
Webtop WT-1.2.0-133_38
Kernel 2.6.32.9 e13392@zch68Inxdroid46#2
Build 4.5.2A-74_OLE-31.20
APflex
GAS_EMEA_USAOLYPGBRTCEE_P026
GAS_EMEA_USAOLYPGBRTCEE_A006
GAS_EMEA_USAOLYMPRTEU_M001
--------------

Think i need an other UNLOCK.SBF because the original vodafone 2.3.4 is to new. Everyone an idea ???

THX

Hi, any luck unlocking that version - mine is the same NonEFIGS Build 4.5.2A-74_OLE-31.20 - and can't unlock with IHOP sbf in Pudding thread?

LiquidSolstice

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2008

Same. I'm looking to do this for a friend's Atrix. He's on AT&T and has Android 2.3.6 and software build 4.5.141.

I'm pretty proficient with Android in general, but I have only ever owned HTC phones (currently an Evo 3D) but we had a very simple tool to go S-OFF without much effort.

I really don't want to risk his phone, because it took a lot of convincing on my part to show him how amazing CM7 was.

Any and all help would be extremely appreciated. Thank you!

jman316

Jan 28, 2010
Hi
Im using the atrix 4g (originally an Orange Uk phone) on Tmobile.

It is rooted already but the bootloader is locked

build no 4.5.2a-74_OLE-31
android 2.3.4

I am assuming this method will work with my phone?

Also the link isnt working for me! :(

jman316

Jan 28, 2010
having some success:
unlocked the bootloader.

I am currently doing...

5. type "fastboot devices" Press Enter.
5b. type "fastboot erase recovery" Press Enter.
5c. type "fastboot flash recovery recovery-atrix5.img" Press Enter.

ive done 5b...but it hangs at telling me "waiting for device"

Any ideas?

gkarthik16

Dec 25, 2010
Atlanta
having some success:
unlocked the bootloader.

I am currently doing...

ive done 5b...but it hangs at telling me "waiting for device"

Any ideas?

The proper drivers should've been installed as you've already unlocked your bootloader (assuming that you've done it on the same machine). Check whether the phone is connected to the USB port on the backside of the machine (if it's a PC). Check if USB debugging is enabled on your device.

jman316

Jan 28, 2010
The proper drivers should've been installed as you've already unlocked your bootloader (assuming that you've done it on the same machine). Check whether the phone is connected to the USB port on the backside of the machine (if it's a PC). Check if USB debugging is enabled on your device.

It is the same machine..although i didnt know that usb debugging had to be enabled..

I connected the phone to the front of the machine though...does that make a difference?

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

It is the same machine..although i didnt know that usb debugging had to be enabled..

I connected the phone to the front of the machine though...does that make a difference?

tried with the debugging setting switched on...Nothing!

interesting thing is i was playing around ( when i rooted the phone six months ago) and tried to flash a recovery. The bootloader was locked at the time so i assumed nothing happened.

Rom manager informs me though that I am currently installed 4.0.1.0 and the latest available is 5.0.2.0.

jman316

Jan 28, 2010
doh! Hadnt realised that have to click on fastboot to actual go into fastboot mode.

Ladies and gentleman...I now have a proper android phone ( rooted, bootloader unlocked, running CM9)

Reactions: Dr. HerbLove

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edited May 16 2012

Hi all,

Due to confusion and scared people I have decided to post simple instructions on how to unlock the bootloader on GB 2.3.4. I just received my Bell Atrix 4G, unlocked it for rogers and then rooted and unlocked the bootloader. I was confused by the pudding instructions, so I decided to recreate them In my own wording.

I take no responsibility for anything that happens to your phone or your heart stopping while you wait for your phone to reboot or if it is stuck on moto screen etc...

Credit for original tutorials go to the2dcour, romracer, Nottach, Faux123 and the others for all of their hard work.

Requirements:

1.Create a folder on your desktop named motounlock

2.Go here: xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1136261

Scroll down to where it says "RSDLite/Windows Drivers/Sbf_flash"

UPDATE: Download RSDLite from here : http://www.multiupload.com/T6NOEBKKLO . If you need x64 bit Drivers use the other link. thanks AnguishedEnd!

download the first two files for windows (RSDLite 5.5 link, x64 Windows drivers)

download the third file for linux/mac

3.Scroll until you see the big word "Unlock"

where it says "Unlocker only SBFs" download the second file UNLESS you are on ATT.

4. Scroll down to the word "Root" and download 'Fastboot' for your OS

5.unzip all of the files you just downloaded into the motounlock folder on your desktop

6. open the folder, install RSDLite, and afterwards install the Drivers.

Then follow these instructions

1. Power Down your atrix
    2. Take out your microSD card and SIM card for the flashing process
    3. While turning the phone on, hold the Volume Up button until it acknowledges RSD. Your device will say “Starting RSD protocol support”
    4. Run “RSD Lite” on your computer
    5. Press the “. . .” button next to the box labeled “Filename”
    6. Navigate to your desktop and open the motounlock folder and select the file named intl-fix-try1.sbf ( IT WILL BE DIFFERENT IF U ARE DOING THIS FOR ATT)
    7. Plug your device into your computer. RSD Lite should recognize your device and say “Model: NS Flash Olympus” and “Connected…” The acronym 'NS' may be different for your device people!!
    8. Press the “Start” button. The Flash actually failed for me, wait for it to complete to 100% it may FAIL or PASS! just make sure it gets to 100% leave your phone sitting for about 10 minutes AFTER RSD SAYS FAIL/SUCCESS.
    9. If nothing is happening after 10mins, perform a battery pull. Power the phone on while pressing vol-down. “Fastboot” Will show up on screen. DONT PLUG IT IN YET. Press volume up and let your phone sit. You will see “Starting Fastboot protocol support" LEAVE IT UNPLUGGED

10. press the windows key + R on your computer, type cmd and press enter
    11. command prompt will open. type cd C:\users\YOURNAME\desktop\motounlock press 'enter'
    12. Plug your device back into usb now
    13. back in your command prompt window type "fastboot oem unlock" no quotes

14. You will now receive a warning along with a unique device ID
    15. Type the following commands using your unique device ID (the numbers in the command prompt) in place of the ####
      • fastboot oem unlock ####
      • fastboot reboot
    16. your moto will reboot. UNLCOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proper Recovery:

1. After your bootloader unlocked go to this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1204500

2. Scroll down to where it says "ALL USERS" and download your favourite colour. (NOT THE ZIP VERSION) Place it in the motounlock folder that you have on your desktop.

3. Press the windows key + R on your computer, type cmd and press enter

4. A Command prompt will open. type cd C:\users\YOURNAME\desktop\motounlock press 'enter'

Wait for the command prompt to say : "writing 'recovery'... OKAY ['The amount of seconds it took here']"

5d.type "fastboot reboot"

DO NOT FORGET TO DO THIS PART: After the install of RomRacers recovery boot up your phone. Open up your favourite file browser (I used Astro file manager to do this ) and navigate to /system/etc/ and delete the file called 'install-recovery.sh'

You will be set 100% !

Installing a custom ROM (Any custom rom will work as long as it has unified kernel/Faux Kernel)
    MOST ROMS WILL COME PRE-ROOTED! Just saying, to avoid confusion.
    I will be using Nottach's Darkside ROM as an example, because Cyanogenmod does not have features included with original moto rom (this one is way more NOOB friendly) But this is COMMON PROCEDURE for almost every rom so be sure to follow this for whatever ROM you want to use.

1. Go here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1222108

2. Scroll down to where it says 'DOWNLOADS' and download the most current version.

3. When it is finished downloading you will have a ZIP file named something like "TheDarkSidev2.8.0-Wipe.zip"

4. Plug your phone in to your computer and transfer that file to your INTERNAL MEMORY.

5. MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE HAS DECENT CHARGE! I would say at least 50 percent. 70+ is recommended, I have done it with 40 + though.

6. Power Down your Phone.

7. Hold The POWER Button + VOL DOWN. DONT PRESS VOLUME UP WHEN YOU SEE FASTBOOT! Instead...

8. After fastboot shows up click volume down until " Android Recovery " shows up, about 7 down clicks. THEN press volume up.

***FIRST TIME ROM FLASHERS ONLY!!!!!!***
    WE ARE GOING TO BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL ROM SO THAT IF YOU EVER DERP YOU WIL ALLWAYS HAVE A SOLID BACKUP
    Press VOLUME DOWN and go to backup and restore. Press the POWER BUTTON
    Press the POWER button on backup
    Select where you want to put your backup (internal or external memory)
    Backup INCLUDING WEBTOP! (if you ever think you will use it)
    Wait for it to finish.
    10. Ok now that you are in android recovery you have to do a few things before flash.
    a. Scroll down to "wipe data/factory reset" PRESS POWER. say yes to EVERYTHING until it goes back to the main screen.
    b. scroll down to "wipe cache partition" PRESS POWER. say YES. Wait for return to main menu
    c. Scroll down to"advanced", click "wipe dalvik cache" Go back to "advanced", "wipe battery stats

11. At the main menu, Scroll to "install Zip from SDcard" Press POWER.
    12.scroll down to "choose zip from internal sdcard"
    13. select the ZIP file that you saved to your INTERNAL memory. If you're using darkside the file name is "TheDarkSidev2.8.0-Wipe.zip"
    14. Scroll down to "YES - install TheDarkSidev2.8.0-Wipe.zip" Press POWER
    15. Let your phone work its magic!
    16. When it is finished installing, you will be returned to the recovery main menu.
    17. click "reboot system now"
    18. Let it boot! This can take anywhere from 10 seconds to 5+ MINUTES! if you dont see it move from the "unlocked" screen after 10 minutes Perform a battery pull and power on again. If it hangs then all you have to do is go into recvoery click "backup and restore" and restore your original ROM. Or like me, have one of every kind of ROM on your storage in case I feel the need to change it on the go! :p

19. YOUR PHONE HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULLY TURNED INTO A FULLY OPEN DROID :) Pat yourself on the back and have a drink to your accomplishments . We on XDA knew you could do it!

Some solutions to issues:

As ar31791 said,

Anyone having issues not being able to boot into CWM recovery after flashing it (such as seeing android guy with exclamation mark):

Delete or rename /system/etc/install-recovery.sh AND /etc/install-recovery.sh I renamed mine to bkup.install-recovery.sh in case i ever wanted to use them again for some reason.

/etc/install-recovery.sh will automatically be placed in /system/etc if /system/etc/install-recovery.sh is not found on boot.
    So, you must delete or rename both, THEN INSTALL CWM recovery.

rename the files using ROM Toolbox's root explorer as some file explorers will not give you the proper access levels to delete or rename the files correctly.c

Hope this helps it worked for me. I was afraid of a brick because nobody clarified the steps that were involved in RSDLite. It may be nerve racking, but it does work!! Enjoy and thanks again to the2dcour, romracer, Nottach, Faux123 and anybody else who has helped in the scene that I didnt have a chance to mention. PM me if I forgot you!
    Oh, and just to let everybody know when your bootloader is successfully unlocked it will say unlocked at the top left of your screen everytime you turn it on. just wait, this is normal.
    OMG thank you so much tayshun!! I just spent 2 hours reading through that pudding post mess trying to figure out how to do this for a 2.3.4 bell atrix....
    I was very nervous about trying something without clear directions in case I brick my phone. You're a lifesaver :)

I understand your grief hahaha. Feel free to press the thank you button at the bottom of my post. I'm trying to get a good reputation around here as I am going to school for programming and I will probably be in these dev forums daily to get help cooking Roms!
    Hey all,

I'm glad that you guys like my tutorial!

I didnt realize that it had so many views lol :p

I tried to keep it as straight forward for the most part, but I will edit the post to clarify to people about most(if not all) custom roms being rooted.

I'll try to remain on the atrix scene, although I have parted and got the samsung I927r (Captivate Glide) although I preferred my Atrix .

But if I'm not around I'm sure that regular forum go-ers are more than happy to help you guys out!.

If anything just PM me.

Tayshun12
    worked

Fantastic summary.
    Worked like a charm.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Bell Atrix with retail updates.
    Thanks a million!

...Damnit, still can't remove Kobo; wtf!