[App] Cloud SMS - Send SMS From Your Tablet! (Available in the Play Store!)

Should Start on Boot Default to On?

• Yes, automatic is best

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • No, I'd prefer to set it myself

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bechard

Dec 2, 2008
Windsor, ON
Tired of putting down your Nexus 7 to check a new SMS on your phone? Me too. Cloud SMS is run on both your phone and tablet to allow you to send and receive SMS messaging from your tablet.

This app works over the Internet and does not require bluetooth, does not share (or transmit) your contacts, and even hashes your account email for added security. Typical messages take about 100ms to transmit. Cloud SMS will be a commercial application ($0.99) when testing is complete.

A Note to Moderators: I was not aware of the rules for paid apps. I will move this discussion to the proper paid apps / announcements later today to adhere to the set rules. I apologize for not knowing the rules first. I'd really appreciate it if you could let me keep this here until tonight when I move it (I'm at work now).

Important - It was brought to my attention that this thread (paid app) should be in the general apps / releases area. Click here for the new thread where I will continue to support this app and discuss features and issues. Thank you everyone!

Super Important & Complex Setup Instructions
  1. Install and run on phone
  2. Install and run on tablet
  3. Done... Ready to go! :)

Download now at the Google Play Store!

Updates

• Added two way message sent indicator to Message View which starts yellow, and turns Green on message sent.
  • Added a service which watches for networks to change (mobile to wifi, changing wifi) and requests an update with the server to remain synced.
  • Changed behavior of Persistent notifications - Now called Always Show Notifications. When Unchecked, notifications are hidden after 5 seconds, except for new messages, which remain until clicked or dismissed.

• Fixed sent messages showing unread on phone when sent from tablet
  • Showing default contact icon when contact database gives multiple local account photo ids.
  • Code preparation for upcoming feature
Play Store Initial Release - Mon Oct 22

• All communications are transmitted over https (2048 bit encryption)
  • New icons for unread messages (much cleaner looking)
  • Fixed bug where long multi part messages would not send from tablet

Release Candidate 5 - Sun Oct 21

• Fixed contact list thread duplication issue
  • Added sharing from other apps - All text based data (notes, schedules, browser links, etc)
  • Preparation for final release

Release Candidate 4 - Sat Oct 20

• Fixed bug in Update Service which could have prevented Cloud ID Updates
  • Added option to choose contact selection style. You can now use the very simple choose from contacts, or the text entry style.
  • Fixed limiting device accounts for only gmail.com, and now also supports googlemail.com

Release Candidate 3 - Fri Oct 19 @ 10:55pm EST (Updated - Version #5)

• Version 5 - Fixed contact separation bug
  • Version 5 - Fixed contact duplication bug
  • Version 4 - Fixed phone number validation bug
  • Version 3 - Fixed crash when direct phone number had spaces after hitting send message
  • Version 3 - Added Dark Theme layouts for New Message (Including different colours for bad/good phone number, and contact results)
  • Version 3 - Fixed crash when resuming New Message after rotating or sleeping.
  • Version 2 - Fixed bug where Exit would have to be repeated when opened from notification
  • Fixed handling of messages with phone number only (not in contacts)
  • Added New Message handler - Auto completes contact entry and supports direct phone numbers
  • Various bug fixes for stability
  • Fixed Contact list not updating on message

Release Candidate - Thurs Oct 18

• Fixed many stability issues which caused hard to find crashes
  • Fixed Phone issue which caused SMS to stop sending/receiving after some time
  • Fixed window states - App will not show "spare" views.
  • Fixed notifications opening to wrong contact
  • Added unread message count - Notification Icon changes to show the value of unread numbers (1~9, 9+)
  • Added unread indicator on Contact list view (Unread senders will have bolded names, and show number of unread)
  • Added delete conversation (long press on a contact to delete the message history)
  • Added delete message (long click on a specific message to delete the message)

Beta Build 6 - Wed Oct 17

• Added Notification sound selection
  • Changed Primary account to a list of device accounts (Much easier)
  • Message View now shows sender Contact Photo (Your contact photo should now show)
  • Sent Messages now align right next to the sender contact photo
  • Moved server infrastructure to new scaling processor (Up until now the routing process was CSV based, and would not scale). Processing times on my end are now in the 100th of a second area.
  • Added more padding to separate message text box from messages
  • Send Message Button slightly bigger.
  • Should more reliably update both Contact view and message view on messages

Beta Build 5 - Tues Oct 16 #2

• New Icon!
  • Fixed refresh of messages on send
  • Fixed Text Entry field size
  • Fixed Send Button in Dark Theme
  • Fixed Send Button Scaling
  • Removed notification sound on Phone when sending outgoing SMS from tablet
  • Fixed contact picker - Now shows contacts with phone numbers
  • Alert user when selected contact number is not sms capable (Work number, etc)

Beta Build 4 - Tues Oct 16

• Temporily added Debug Menu Option - This will show you the detected Device Hash, Account (Not sent to server), and GCMID. If your not syncing, check the GCMID in debug, if blank, exit the app and try again (and let me know!)
  • Fixed Server side bug which prevented syncing
  • Added crash handler to send me crash reports during the testing phase
  • Fixed alignment on Message view sent messages
  • Increased SMS Priority to try and get around SMS apps that do not like to share.
  • Unknown contacts will show phone number as their name.

Beta Build 3 - Mon Oct 15 - Build #2 - Updated Build Sent to Testers (Thanks guys!)

Bug Fixes + New Features
  • Build #2 - Fixed Cloud ID Assignment (I wasn't waiting long enough for Google to assign them!)
  • Build #2 - Reverted to old contact picker. Much more reliable this way, solves most of the problems.
  • New Notification Settings
  • Added Persistent Notification Setting
  • Added Notification Sound Setting
  • Added Notification Vibrate Setting
  • Fixed Cloud Sync loss after a few hours
  • Added Setting to list detected account (Just displayed on your device, not transferred) - This allows you to set the correct account if you have multiple accounts on a tablet
  • Contact and Messages lists now update on incoming message!
  • Message text allows links to be clickable
  • Text input field now automatically capitalizes the first word in a sentence
  • Fixed all communications bugs on SIM tablets with no SIM card (Wifi)
  • Fixed issues on Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
  • (There are more, just can't remember now)

Beta Build 2 - Sun Oct 14 - Sent out updates to existing testers, and send PMs to a few others, thanks!

Bug Fixes + New Features
  • Now supports Android 2.2 through 4.1 (was previously 2.3 and up)
  • Added Settings Menu
  • Added Theme Selection (Light, Dark)
  • Added Start on Boot (Opens in notification tray)
  • Added Force Tablet for some tablets being detected as phone
  • Fixed detection of some tablets
  • Fixed a few communications bugs
  • Message list is updated on sending a message

Beta Build 1 - Fri Oct 12
  • Initial Release!

Current Bugs

Required Permissions
  • Internet - (Needed to connect to the Internet!)
  • Send SMS / Receive SMS (These are used on the phone side to send/receive messages)
  • Get Account (This is used to read your gmail address assigned to your device. I never actually send this email, simply make a secure hash of the account to match against the Google Cloud Messaging IDs for your tablet/phone)
  • Wake Lock (This is required for Google Cloud Messaging)
  • Receive SMS (This is required to capture SMS messages to send to your tablet)
  • Vibrate (If your tablet supports it, I can vibrate/light LED, make sound just as your phone does on SMS - This will become a setting)
  • Read Contacts (This is used on the tablet to show the contact photo / name rather than just the phone number of the recipient/sender. This data is never stored anywhere).
  • Write SMS (This is used on the phone to add your messages to the stock SMS database to keep conversations properly synced)
  • Receive Boot Completed (This is used to automatically start on boot if enabled in Settings)

Using Go SMS? Do this:
  • In Go SMS, Under 'Menu -> Settings -> Receive Settings' - Uncheck the box that says 'Disable other message notification'
  • If still not receiving forwarding messages, reboot.

Any comments, questions, or feedback?

Last edited:

mwalt2

Feb 22, 2009
It sounds pretty good and 99 cents would be a great price for the features. I rarely turn on wifi/BT on my phone, so I'd like an app that just needs a data connection like you are describing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

V8vroom

Aug 13, 2010
Sounds fantastic, keep us posted!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
yes, sounds far better than tablet talk (what I use now) when your ready for a tester id be more than willing. I have multiple android phones to test with. and may I add that your price is quite fair. If succesfull I see many flocking to your app

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

yes, sounds far better than tablet talk (what I use now) when your ready for a tester id be more than willing. I have multiple android phones to test with. @ this price I can see many people flocking to your app over the competition

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

rebel1699

Feb 13, 2008
Oklahoma
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 4 XL
There is already an app on the market with that name, for just this use. Tablet sms on the tablet, and desk sms on phone. I use it all the time. How exactly is this different?

It can be found here https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wxLDEsImNvbS5rb3VzaGlrZHV0dGEudGFibGV0c21zIl0.

I am definitely not saying you should not make it, just wondering about the advantages of your vs the already existing. They sound very very similar, right down to the name.

Nexus 7 on AOKP by R4ins

Last edited:

Jebus99

Jun 4, 2011
Is this the same as the one posted on reddit? Excellent idea nonetheless, hopefully an improvement on Tablet SMS. Would love to test.

bechard

Dec 2, 2008
Windsor, ON
There is already an app on the market with that name, for just this use. Tablet sms on the tablet, and desk sms on phone. I use it all the time. How exactly is this different?

It can be found here https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wxLDEsImNvbS5rb3VzaGlrZHV0dGEudGFibGV0c21zIl0.

I am definitely not saying you should not make it, just wondering about the advantages of your vs the already existing. They sound very very similar, right down to the name.

Nexus 7 on AOKP by R4ins

I had no idea another app like this one existed, certainly not by Clockworkmod no less. I will of course rename it to something different. My app does not use anything but Google Cloud Messaging as a transport, and will solely focus on SMS leaving gtalk, gmail, and IM to other apps.

This app first and foremost is designed for myself and friends who just want SMS to work two ways from phone to tablet.

Reactions: rebel1699

bechard

Dec 2, 2008
Windsor, ON
Is this the same as the one posted on reddit? Excellent idea nonetheless, hopefully an improvement on Tablet SMS. Would love to test.

I've not posted this to reddit (yet?). Once the name changes and a test build is up, perhaps then.

What are the issues with TabletSMS on the market?

Please keep in mind that I want to keep SMS data as private as possible with my model, no messages ever go to database or disk.

Element515

Jun 26, 2011
Cool, would like to see if this works better than tablet talk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
Looks good. I'm not willing to pay $5/yr. for the other app, but a one time $1 or $2 app that works would be great! I don't text much, but I would like to get SMS notifications on my N7 if my phone is off. I get 1 or 2 messages a month (from Virgin Mobile about payment due), that I sometimes miss because I seldom use my phone anymore. As long as this doesn't interfere with GrooveIP (that uses Google chat), I'm in!

Zentyko

Feb 20, 2012
I've been looking for something like this for a while.
Most apps are limited to WiFi and BT which is a shame and the already mentioned app is rather expensive.
Would very much be interested in something like this!

Biggzz

Dec 8, 2008
I'll test it out on my nexus 7. Right now I use Google voice for texting from my tablet but as you know it isn't my actual phone number.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

j.a

Nov 20, 2007
SD by way of Bklyn
Great idea especially with the added security added great price point, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Count me in for testing as well.

Last edited:

jtc42

Jan 2, 2007
Bath
Really looking forward to seeing this develop. I'm using Tablet Talk at the moment and having to faff about with connections all the time is becoming a pain. Something like this sounds really good. I tried TabletSMS and DeskSMS a while back but the half-holo-half-awful UI was offputting and the annual cost isn't ideal.

If you can keep the UI clean (looking like stock SMS app?) and keep it quick and easy to connect then it should be amazing. Can't wait to try it out :)

ohshaith55

Jul 31, 2010
Dallas, TX
I like desk/tabletsms but I might be willing to jump ship. Tablet SMS is a bit clunky and doesn't seem to always update properly. I'd love a clone of the stock SMS app when on a tablet. Also cloud SMS sounds better than SMS cloud imo

Edit: also, I'd be very willing to test and will be watching this thread

Last edited:

linknight

Jan 17, 2011
I just found out about mysms. It seems to be completely free and does what DeskSMS and the OP wants to do. You can also use a webapp to send/receive messages.

SkyandDirt

Jul 20, 2011
I just found out about mysms. It seems to be completely free and does what DeskSMS and the OP wants to do. You can also use a webapp to send/receive messages.

I've used mysms for awhile. Its actually really bad. Messages rarely send from the tablet to phone successfully and there are huge delays in messages being received and sent. I use Tablet Talk right now, its pretty good for at home use but it would be nice to be able to have a reliable tablet sms app over data.

Count me in on the testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tired of putting down your Nexus 7 to check a new SMS on your phone? Me too. Cloud SMS is run on both your phone and tablet to allow you to send and receive SMS messaging from your tablet.

This app works over the Internet and does not require bluetooth, does not share (or transmit) your contacts, and even hashes your account email for added security. Typical messages take about 100ms to transmit. Cloud SMS will be a commercial application ($0.99) when testing is complete.

A Note to Moderators: I was not aware of the rules for paid apps. I will move this discussion to the proper paid apps / announcements later today to adhere to the set rules. I apologize for not knowing the rules first. I'd really appreciate it if you could let me keep this here until tonight when I move it (I'm at work now).

Important - It was brought to my attention that this thread (paid app) should be in the general apps / releases area. Click here for the new thread where I will continue to support this app and discuss features and issues. Thank you everyone!

Super Important & Complex Setup Instructions
    1. Install and run on phone
    2. Install and run on tablet
    3. Done... Ready to go! :)

Download now at the Google Play Store!

Updates

• Added two way message sent indicator to Message View which starts yellow, and turns Green on message sent.
    • Added a service which watches for networks to change (mobile to wifi, changing wifi) and requests an update with the server to remain synced.
    • Changed behavior of Persistent notifications - Now called Always Show Notifications. When Unchecked, notifications are hidden after 5 seconds, except for new messages, which remain until clicked or dismissed.

• Fixed sent messages showing unread on phone when sent from tablet
    • Showing default contact icon when contact database gives multiple local account photo ids.
    • Code preparation for upcoming feature
    Play Store Initial Release - Mon Oct 22

• All communications are transmitted over https (2048 bit encryption)
    • New icons for unread messages (much cleaner looking)
    • Fixed bug where long multi part messages would not send from tablet

Release Candidate 5 - Sun Oct 21

• Fixed contact list thread duplication issue
    • Added sharing from other apps - All text based data (notes, schedules, browser links, etc)
    • Preparation for final release

Release Candidate 4 - Sat Oct 20

• Fixed bug in Update Service which could have prevented Cloud ID Updates
    • Added option to choose contact selection style. You can now use the very simple choose from contacts, or the text entry style.
    • Fixed limiting device accounts for only gmail.com, and now also supports googlemail.com

Release Candidate 3 - Fri Oct 19 @ 10:55pm EST (Updated - Version #5)

• Version 5 - Fixed contact separation bug
    • Version 5 - Fixed contact duplication bug
    • Version 4 - Fixed phone number validation bug
    • Version 3 - Fixed crash when direct phone number had spaces after hitting send message
    • Version 3 - Added Dark Theme layouts for New Message (Including different colours for bad/good phone number, and contact results)
    • Version 3 - Fixed crash when resuming New Message after rotating or sleeping.
    • Version 2 - Fixed bug where Exit would have to be repeated when opened from notification
    • Fixed handling of messages with phone number only (not in contacts)
    • Added New Message handler - Auto completes contact entry and supports direct phone numbers
    • Various bug fixes for stability
    • Fixed Contact list not updating on message

Release Candidate - Thurs Oct 18

• Fixed many stability issues which caused hard to find crashes
    • Fixed Phone issue which caused SMS to stop sending/receiving after some time
    • Fixed window states - App will not show "spare" views.
    • Fixed notifications opening to wrong contact
    • Added unread message count - Notification Icon changes to show the value of unread numbers (1~9, 9+)
    • Added unread indicator on Contact list view (Unread senders will have bolded names, and show number of unread)
    • Added delete conversation (long press on a contact to delete the message history)
    • Added delete message (long click on a specific message to delete the message)

Beta Build 6 - Wed Oct 17

• Added Notification sound selection
    • Changed Primary account to a list of device accounts (Much easier)
    • Message View now shows sender Contact Photo (Your contact photo should now show)
    • Sent Messages now align right next to the sender contact photo
    • Moved server infrastructure to new scaling processor (Up until now the routing process was CSV based, and would not scale). Processing times on my end are now in the 100th of a second area.
    • Added more padding to separate message text box from messages
    • Send Message Button slightly bigger.
    • Should more reliably update both Contact view and message view on messages

Beta Build 5 - Tues Oct 16 #2

• New Icon!
    • Fixed refresh of messages on send
    • Fixed Text Entry field size
    • Fixed Send Button in Dark Theme
    • Fixed Send Button Scaling
    • Removed notification sound on Phone when sending outgoing SMS from tablet
    • Fixed contact picker - Now shows contacts with phone numbers
    • Alert user when selected contact number is not sms capable (Work number, etc)

Beta Build 4 - Tues Oct 16

• Temporily added Debug Menu Option - This will show you the detected Device Hash, Account (Not sent to server), and GCMID. If your not syncing, check the GCMID in debug, if blank, exit the app and try again (and let me know!)
    • Fixed Server side bug which prevented syncing
    • Added crash handler to send me crash reports during the testing phase
    • Fixed alignment on Message view sent messages
    • Increased SMS Priority to try and get around SMS apps that do not like to share.
    • Unknown contacts will show phone number as their name.

Beta Build 3 - Mon Oct 15 - Build #2 - Updated Build Sent to Testers (Thanks guys!)

Bug Fixes + New Features
    • Build #2 - Fixed Cloud ID Assignment (I wasn't waiting long enough for Google to assign them!)
    • Build #2 - Reverted to old contact picker. Much more reliable this way, solves most of the problems.
    • New Notification Settings
    • Added Persistent Notification Setting
    • Added Notification Sound Setting
    • Added Notification Vibrate Setting
    • Fixed Cloud Sync loss after a few hours
    • Added Setting to list detected account (Just displayed on your device, not transferred) - This allows you to set the correct account if you have multiple accounts on a tablet
    • Contact and Messages lists now update on incoming message!
    • Message text allows links to be clickable
    • Text input field now automatically capitalizes the first word in a sentence
    • Fixed all communications bugs on SIM tablets with no SIM card (Wifi)
    • Fixed issues on Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    • (There are more, just can't remember now)

Beta Build 2 - Sun Oct 14 - Sent out updates to existing testers, and send PMs to a few others, thanks!

Bug Fixes + New Features
    • Now supports Android 2.2 through 4.1 (was previously 2.3 and up)
    • Added Settings Menu
    • Added Theme Selection (Light, Dark)
    • Added Start on Boot (Opens in notification tray)
    • Added Force Tablet for some tablets being detected as phone
    • Fixed detection of some tablets
    • Fixed a few communications bugs
    • Message list is updated on sending a message

Beta Build 1 - Fri Oct 12
    • Initial Release!

Current Bugs

Required Permissions
    • Internet - (Needed to connect to the Internet!)
    • Send SMS / Receive SMS (These are used on the phone side to send/receive messages)
    • Get Account (This is used to read your gmail address assigned to your device. I never actually send this email, simply make a secure hash of the account to match against the Google Cloud Messaging IDs for your tablet/phone)
    • Wake Lock (This is required for Google Cloud Messaging)
    • Receive SMS (This is required to capture SMS messages to send to your tablet)
    • Vibrate (If your tablet supports it, I can vibrate/light LED, make sound just as your phone does on SMS - This will become a setting)
    • Read Contacts (This is used on the tablet to show the contact photo / name rather than just the phone number of the recipient/sender. This data is never stored anywhere).
    • Write SMS (This is used on the phone to add your messages to the stock SMS database to keep conversations properly synced)
    • Receive Boot Completed (This is used to automatically start on boot if enabled in Settings)

Using Go SMS? Do this:
    • In Go SMS, Under 'Menu -> Settings -> Receive Settings' - Uncheck the box that says 'Disable other message notification'
    • If still not receiving forwarding messages, reboot.

Any comments, questions, or feedback?
    Cloud SMS it will be. Will try to finish the UI wiring tonight, as I'd like to get an APK up for the weekend.
    Update

Still working on nailing down the app framework, as I like to work from a solid base with extensibility than to have to hack things in later.

So far I've got two way communication done, notification base is working, and local device DB for storing messages / data is up. Just wiring up the views for messages and such, very similar to stock messaging app.

Also, explaination of required permissions (because I believe everyone should list them).

1) Internet - (Needed to connect to the Internet!)
    2) Send SMS / Receive SMS (These are used on the phone side to send/receive messages)
    3) Get Account (This is used to read your gmail address assigned to your device. I never actually send this email, simply make a secure hash of the account to match against the Google Cloud Messaging IDs for your tablet/phone)
    4) Wake Lock (This is required for Google Cloud Messaging)
    5) Receive SMS (This is required to capture SMS messages to send to your tablet)
    6) Vibrate (If your tablet supports it, I can vibrate/light LED, make sound just as your phone does on SMS - This will become a setting)
    7) Read Contacts (This is used on the tablet to show the contact photo / name rather than just the phone number of the receipient/sender. This data is never stored anywhere).

Hopefully in the next day or so I have the UI ready for reading messages. Once that is done I'll do the same list you get on the SMS app where it shows the list of contacts that have last messaged you, allowing you to click on a contact to see message history. After that will be replying to SMS, followed by some tweaking and user testing.

Cheers.
    OP Updated with lastest RC2 - Build 5.
    Cloud SMS Progress

The persistent notifications will become an option in one of the first updates post release, unless I find time to tack that on.

Tonight the main views were wired up.

When you run on your phone, the app just tells you its active, and that it's running in the background.

On tablet, the chat history comes up (like sms) where the first page loads a list of contacts, with name, photo, slice of their latest message, and the time it was received. When you tap on a contact (or hit the notification on message) you get the sms chat view for that contact, just like the stock SMS.

Remaining UI:
    1) Wire up text input for replying in chat view
    2) Long press to delete a message (not on first release)
    3) UI elements to match current UI guide lines (make it look like stock SMS)
    4) Better icon (lowest priority!)

Remaining Functionality:
    1) On Phone, when you have replied from your tablet, add your new SMS reply to SMS Sent if this doesn't automatically happen.
    2) On Tablet, add contact picker for new message (for sending to a contact you haven't texted from your tablet yet).
    3) Convert message data to encoded and or encrypted format for transfer between devices. Initial testing will be something light such as Base64 encoding to make the data unreadable.

Currently Working:
    1) Receiving / Reading all SMS on tablet from phone, with the correct contact details (name, photo) displayed, along with timestamp.
    2) Communications Backend (My tablet gets the SMS at visually the same time as my phone ~100ms latency)
    3) Navigation UI, Notification on message

I'm now aiming to get a test build out tomorrow night once I've wired up the reply functionality. The early test release will be for communication testing, as I've not spent much time optimizing UI elements outside of basic size and positioning to match stock SMS.

I believe the previously disclosed set of permissions will be final.

And with that, time for sleep.