FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Best protection for least bulk

38 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By reaeg, Member on 22nd June 2013, 07:56 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm looking for a good bumper, not a full case, just a bumper. I think that's the best balance of drop protection for added bulk.

My reasoning is that if I drop my phone, the most likely thing to break (and most expensive to fix) will be the screen. Even in high-performance cases like the Otterbox Commuter, the only thing protecting the screen is the lip. I don't care about all that protection on the back of the phone; I can easily replace the battery cover if it gets damaged and if a lip is good enough to protect the screen, it should be good enough to protect the back.

This leads me to think that the most important part of drop-protection is the lip and a high-quality bumper with a good, thick, shock-absorbent lip will have the best drop-protection/bulk ratio. I think it would give much better protection than the thin cases with minimal lips like the SGP Slim Armor.

Are there any bumpers like that out there? What does everyone recommend? Right now I'm leaning toward getting the Roocase Bumper and adding a high-quality battery cover like oddspec did here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post42813168

I've seen a lot of posts about aluminum bumpers but it seems to me that they wouldn't add any screen protection. If your phone falls face-down, the screen will just slam against the hard aluminum which isn't an improvement. Can someone with one comment?

I'm interested in any comments on my thinking as well as bumper recommendations. I used an Otterbox Commuter on my last phone and it works very well but after staring at it, I can't help thinking that there's a more efficient way to get the actual level of protection I need.

Thanks, everyone.

22nd June 2013, 10:11 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 676

More
I always recommend the UAG case, it's not bulky and it is great for protection. I've dropped my S4 so many times and not a scratch on it.

Sent from Flip's Galaxy S4
22nd June 2013, 11:14 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
I dropped my phone from 1meter on concrete, and is fine.. I use aluminium bumper only. The bumper is scratch, but not deformed. Look my treed
The Following User Says Thank You to valentinrascu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift valentinrascu Ad-Free
23rd June 2013, 12:25 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
UAG case
23rd June 2013, 01:41 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 105

More
Also recommend UAG case. By far the best combination of thin/protective/attractive.
23rd June 2013, 03:07 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentinrascu

I dropped my phone from 1meter on concrete, and is fine.. I use aluminium bumper only. The bumper is scratch, but not deformed. Look my treed

I saw your review, thanks for the reply. Is there any kind of soft buffer material between the aluminum part of the bumper and the screen?

I see in the pictures that there's a rubber looking material inside the bulk of the bumper but it looks like the glass rests directly against aluminum.
23rd June 2013, 03:15 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflip88

I always recommend the UAG case, it's not bulky and it is great for protection. I've dropped my S4 so many times and not a scratch on it.

Sent from Flip's Galaxy S4

I appreciate the response but I'm looking for just a bumper unless someone can give a strong argument that a full case will protect the *screen* better.
24th June 2013, 07:17 AM |#8  
Flag Naga City, Camarines Sur
Thanks Meter: 18

Donate to Me
More
uAg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium
24th June 2013, 02:36 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
UAG all day. Bumpers imo make the phone feel way too wide. They also tend to tear at the charging ports when there is less material. So that leaves aluminum bumpers only. Curious about how much weight a metal bumper would add.... Uag is feather light.
24th June 2013, 03:34 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 174

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritobandito86

UAG all day. Bumpers imo make the phone feel way too wide. They also tend to tear at the charging ports when there is less material. So that leaves aluminum bumpers only. Curious about how much weight a metal bumper would add.... Uag is feather light.

It depends on which bumper you get.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
24th June 2013, 06:22 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Might want to look at Tech21's D30 mesh case. They've some quite impressive videos on YouTube.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)