Findings on Galaxy S4 charging current

Search This thread

Tjalling

Sep 20, 2011
I'm getting around 3a charging rate as shown in the battery monitor widget apps. Is this even accurate? :confused: I read that most are getting around 1.5 - 2a.

Damn, I'd really like someone knowledgeable to chime in on this. It'd be amazing to charge my S4 with 3A, let alone 5A (the maximum under USB 2 specs). WIthout blowing up my phone, preferably.

Rob2222

Feb 18, 2008
Damn, I'd really like someone knowledgeable to chime in on this. It'd be amazing to charge my S4 with 3A, let alone 5A (the maximum under USB 2 specs). WIthout blowing up my phone, preferably.

Battery Monitor Widget and Android Tuner can NOT measure the current on the S3 and S4 devices. These tools use the time it takes to raise 1% battery and the battery capacity. With these two information BMW and AT _calculate_ the current. But the battery percentage at 1% is not very accurate so the current rating from BMW and AT are not very accurate.
It is more accurate when you average the values from maybe more than 40-50% battery charge difference.

Just use the app "galaxy charging current". It shows almost the correct current rating, _when_ your battery has less than 75%. If your battery has already over 75% then the values of galaxy charging current can be incorrect, too.

The problem is easy to understand. S3 and S4 have not the needed hardware to measure the battery current.

All 3 apps here use workarounds. BMW and AT try to calculate current from how fast battery % go up.

Galaxy charging current shows the "maximum current" value that the kernel is setting, depending on the input _voltage_.
If you use a 300mA charger and the S4 trys to draw 1900mA, the voltage breaks in. The kernel recognizes this and lowers the drawn current in steps until (300-400mA in this case) there is a stable voltage. So the kernel SETs the input current depending on the input voltage, but from the measurement point of view, it only can _measure_ voltage, not current.
However, this is also only a value _set_ by the kernel and not a _measurement_.
But when the phone pulls full current from the charger (<75% battery), then you can assume that maximum current set by kernel is really near the real current value the phone draws in this second.

So if you wanna check how good your charging system is, simply connect it when the battery has less than 75% and check the rating shown in "Galaxy chagring current". Thats the most accurate you can do on S3 and S4.

BR
Rob

Last edited:

Andy0625

Dec 9, 2012
Battery Monitor Widget and Android Tuner can NOT measure the current on the S3 and S4 devices. These tools use the time it takes to raise 1% battery and the battery capacity. With these two information BMW and AT _calculate_ the current. But the battery percentage at 1% is not very accurate so the current rating from BMW and AT are not very accurate.
It is more accurate when you average the values from maybe more than 40-50% battery charge difference.

Just use the app "galaxy charging current". It shows almost the correct current rating, _when_ your battery has less than 75%. If your battery has already over 75% then the values of galaxy charging current can be incorrect, too.

The problem is easy to understand. S3 and S4 have not the needed hardware to measure the battery current.

All 3 apps here use workarounds. BMW and AT try to calculate current from how fast battery % go up.

Galaxy charging current shows the "maximum current" value that the kernel is setting, depending on the input _voltage_.
If you use a 300mA charger and the S4 trys to draw 1900mA, the voltage breaks in. The kernel recognizes this and lowers the drawn current in steps until (300-400mA in this case) there is a stable voltage. So the kernel SETs the input current depending on the input voltage, but from the measurement point of view, it only can _measure_ voltage, not current.
However, this is also only a value _set_ by the kernel and not a _measurement_.
But when the phone pulls full current from the charger (<75% battery), then you can assume that maximum current set by kernel is really near the real current value the phone draws in this second.

So if you wanna check how good your charging system is, simply connect it when the battery has less than 75% and check the rating shown in "Galaxy chagring current". Thats the most accurate you can do on S3 and S4.

BR
Rob
In that case, I believed this little device below will be far more accurate than using any apps. Might get one to explore.
Anyway,thanks for sharing mate. :good:

http://www.dx.com/p/usb-av-usb-powe...r-translucent-blue-silver-235090#.U2VCI_mSz6U

djcristi

Aug 27, 2007
Bucharest

MonkeyTime

Nov 20, 2011
Maybe this is a silly question and I'm overlooking something simple, but what do the kernels with "fast charge" enabled change for us?

I've tried two and don't see a difference, unless I've missed something on the enabling end? Shouldn't I see higher charging currents with this enabled?

Just bought an official Samsung hdtv adapter, but I can only get 300ma thru it no matter what I power it with. That's not enough to keep up much less gain charge...

Sent from my Hyperdriven S4!

jaswinky

Jun 24, 2009
Maybe this is a silly question and I'm overlooking something simple, but what do the kernels with "fast charge" enabled change for us?

I've tried two and don't see a difference, unless I've missed something on the enabling end? Shouldn't I see higher charging currents with this enabled?

Just bought an official Samsung hdtv adapter, but I can only get 300ma thru it no matter what I power it with. That's not enough to keep up much less gain charge...

Sent from my Hyperdriven S4!

If you always charge your device with stocks Samsung charger and a good cable, a fast charge kernel doesn't change anything for you... It only is useful if you want to charge your device with a lg, Nokia, bb or unbranded charger, or a USB port, to get max current the charger can supply. To do this once installed the kernel, you need to activate fast charging using any kernel tweaks/configuration app.

Enviado desde mi GT-P7510 usando Tapatalk 2

MonkeyTime

Nov 20, 2011
If you always charge your device with stocks Samsung charger and a good cable, a fast charge kernel doesn't change anything for you... It only is useful if you want to charge your device with a lg, Nokia, bb or unbranded charger, or a USB port, to get max current the charger can supply. To do this once installed the kernel, you need to activate fast charging using any kernel tweaks/configuration app.

Enviado desde mi GT-P7510 usando Tapatalk 2

I don't always use stock chargers, but I've had problems even when I do.

My biggest dilemma right now is using the hdtv adapter. I'm only getting 300ma thru it to charge with by means of a stock Samsung AC charger.

I've got KToonz kernel with fastcharging enabled and usb bumped up to 600ma just to check, but I can't get over 300ma with any combination.

Could I be missing something else?

jaswinky

Jun 24, 2009
I don't always use stock chargers, but I've had problems even when I do.

My biggest dilemma right now is using the hdtv adapter. I'm only getting 300ma thru it to charge with by means of a stock Samsung AC charger.

I've got KToonz kernel with fastcharging enabled and usb bumped up to 600ma just to check, but I can't get over 300ma with any combination.

Could I be missing something else?

I think only Perseus kernel can set specifically HDMI input current and others situations separately.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9500 mediante Tapatalk

DFerb

Mar 30, 2014
Hanoi
May I ask a question? Yesterday, I found a problem with my original cable. It took me more than 5 hours to charge from 20% to 95% while it used to take 2 and a half hour to full charge. By using Galaxy Charging current app, the current is 880 mA whereas it must be 2A. I used another cable and the time taken to full charge went back to normal. I noticed that the current into my phone was 1200 mA at first but 1900 mA in 5 minutes later and went back to 1200 mA then. Is it normal when the current is changing like that?:confused: Thanks

jaswinky

Jun 24, 2009
May I ask a question? Yesterday, I found a problem with my original cable. It took me more than 5 hours to charge from 20% to 95% while it used to take 2 and a half hour to full charge. By using Galaxy Charging current app, the current is 880 mA whereas it must be 2A. I used another cable and the time taken to full charge went back to normal. I noticed that the current into my phone was 1200 mA at first but 1900 mA in 5 minutes later and went back to 1200 mA then. Is it normal when the current is changing like that?:confused: Thanks

Yes, a lot of original Samsung white data cables came defective. And yes, rise from 1,2A to 1,9A is normal, it depends of the app measure method and the state of the screen on/off.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9500 mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: DFerb

R-P

May 21, 2010
Own measurements

I finally got round to making a measurement cable. It has an inline 0.1 ohm resistor*, so far from ideal as it will drop the voltage from 5.06V (Samsung original charger) to a theoretical 4.86V at 2 amperes charging current. But it is nice to have. USB male to female, 6"long and a bananaplug before and after the resistor (voltagedrop) and one on the black-ground-wire (for voltage before and after the resistor measurement)

chWkAabl.jpg

I noticed the current drawn by the device was around 1.3A (130mV drop over the resistor) with the screen off and about 0.9A (fluctuating between 70 and 99mV) with the screen off (edit: ON).

Can someone explain why it would draw less from the charger with the screen ON?

I measured both my original S4 white charger and my daughters black 7" TAB2 charger. Mine had 82kohm resistorvalues between datapins and +5V/GND. Hers had 77kohm.

* plan is to make one with a 0.01 ohm resistor (20mV drop should be negligible) and a fixed LCDisplay voltmeter (plus 9V battery for the LCD). I should have a new one somewhere that can measure 200mV DC and lets you select where to put the decimal point as well. so 199.9mV range but with the decimal point in the middle (19.99) should give me a theoretical range of 19.99A (useless) but still a useable range of 2.00A in three digits for the S4. And also more than enough for testing my 3.5A 5V carcharger-modules. Pretty much a USB version of a wall-socket powermeter: it shows you USB voltage (in the 19.99V range) or current drawn (199.9mV range with the decimal point one step to the left).

And here´s a link for my USB-charging-findings on Apple products (last post). To show that I sometimes do a little more work than I did on this... :) But almost everything´s already been done and written down in this thread :)

Last edited:

Rob2222

Feb 18, 2008
Can someone explain why it would draw less from the charger with the screen ON?

Hello,

the first stock firmware that came with the I9505 at release used 1900mA kernel setting (Galaxy Charging Current App) even with display on.
Later they decided to differentiate between screen on and screen off. As Pfeffernuss said, heat management could be a good cause.

Also, I think you only get around 1A cause you already have a huge voltage drop over the resistor. So the input voltage is already to low and the kernel reduces the drawn current. You can also check that with the named app and when your battery is below 75%. (So that the S4 tries to draw full current).

The shown value by the Galaxy Charging Current App is _not_ the measured current, but the current setting that the kernel is setting regarding the actual supplied input voltage.

However, can you check the current _before_ the resistor? I read, that the original S4 power supply has a intelligent voltage output. So it automatically raises the output voltage a little when heavy current is drawn. I am almost sure that this makes sense and the report I read in another board is correct, but when you already have this setup, maybe you can confirm this a second time.

BR
Robert

Last edited:

R-P

May 21, 2010
Hello,

However, can you check the current _before_ the resistor? I read, that the original S4 power supply has a intelligent voltage output. So it automatically raises the output voltage a little when heavy current is drawn. I am almost sure that this makes sense and the report I read in another board is correct, but when you already have this setup, maybe you can confirm this a second time.

BR
Robert

Did some quick tests with the phone 60% charged and my measuring cable between the charger and the charging cable.

The voltage of the supply was 5.06V, measured before the resistor with no load (=phone not attached)

Using the original cable: it rose to 5.26V when attaching the phone (screen automatically turns ON) and the current is (105mV=) 1.05A
When manually switching the screen OFF, it rose to 5.35V and (166mV=) 1.66A

The charging app showed 1200mA (haven't figured out how to let it show the screen-off-charging-current yet)

Then I replaced the original cable with one I know to be faulty (only very slowly charges my phone).
Voltage with phone attached was 5.16V and current (26.4mV=) 264mA
Charging app showed 300mA

So yes, apparently the charger DOES increase the output voltage when more current is drawn, probably to compensate for cable losses.

Roughly:
5.06 with no draw.
5.16 with 264mA
5.26 with 1.05A
5.35 with 1.66A

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2222 and mbc663

ace_nitros

May 11, 2014
Galaxy charging correct readings

i heard for the galaxy s4 the correct reading to get from the galaxy charging app is (1200) which you only get when using a 5v , 2 amp charger

drutort

Apr 28, 2007
AZ
get a PortaPow USB Power Monitor / Multimeter / DC Ammeter

I just got a few weeks a used S4, and I thought I had a decent charger for overnight.

So what I did was go on a hunt for a way to test my cables and chargers.

What I found out is that this:

"PortaPow USB Power Monitor / Multimeter / DC Ammeter"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DF2485S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That gives you the voltage and amperage reading. Now there are cheaper ones but I read the reviews that they would not function over time, so I bought this one that has a switch for V and A

I do not have OEM S4 usb cable nor charger, I have a dual port 2.1A ebay charger that I thought was good to 2.1A or at least 1A per port, with the above tool I measured only 0.8A draw per port with OEM S3 cable

I bought also what is to be believed OEM S3 cables since they are 5 feet!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVBB0XQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they look almost 95% OEM, everything is there, but you can see the usb logo is just slightly different size, and the over all length was about 3/4" different. Now for the test!

So I went to the nexus 7 2013 charger rated at higher voltage and 1.3A (I believe)

I expected that amazon "OEM" cable to be same but it varied lower by 0.1A so to me its not 100% OEM even though it looks and feels OEM!

Still the Battery monitor widget showed greater then 1A charge over night... so go figure the app is not good at testing IMO

It is possible that quality of charger and its ability to communicate with the device? makes a difference be it shielding or proper resisters on the other cables?

I am looking for proper multi port USB chargers, but the few ones that are had QA quality with ports going down, such as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Sized-...d=1404539947&sr=1-2&keywords=usb+wall+charger

I am also not 100% if there is proper shielding on the PortaPow USB monitor, but it seems to be working good, and others have vouched for it. I think a Kill-a-watt tester would work but you would have losses to account for, that is you will read higher values of A usage because of the chargers inefficiencies (consumption itself)

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
Resistance or Not

I'm reading many pages and many posts. I've seen in some other Tab threads that Samsung puts 33K and 10K resistors. Here in this thread, I've read 82K resistors, and some other posts that actually no resistor is needed, only shorting them works.

Which one is correct information, does anybody know?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With the advent of the S4, and its higher capacity battery, one could understand a higher charging current. However, I seem to have uncovered some findings that the charging system on the S4 is a bit more complex than first thought!
    This is a bit techy, and assumes you have a basic amount of electrical knowledge, ie voltages, currents, resistance etc., but I'll try and keep it as simple as possible for anyone who may not!

To explain: The mains charger supplied with the S4 is a model number ETA-U90UWE, rated 5V @ 2A. However, the phone will ONLY charge at full current (which as I have measured so far, depending on what the phone regulates it to, typically sits in the region of 1.2 - 1.5A), when using the supplied charger (or possibly one of equal or higher current rating, depending on how it's configured internally), AND the supplied usb cable, OR any other usb cable, provided its shielding (the metal outer surface of the connectors) is connected at BOTH ends of the cable. Use a cable that doesn't have this shielding, and the charge current drops, regardless of whether there is plenty of current available or not. Use a different charger with an unshielded cable and the current drops even more, again regardless of whether it can supply plenty more current.
    My assumption on this, is possibly an effort by Samsung to avoid the scenario of sticking 1.5 amps down a flimsy cheapo cable, the wires of which will likely be too thin to carry it.

After doing some probing around with a meter, I have managed to find a slight difference with the charger itself, compared to a generic one. In a generic one, the two data pins are usually just shorted together, which tells most phones that it's a mains charger rather than a USB port. On the Samsung one on the other hand, the pins appear to be shorted together, and also connected via resistors across the supply line (known as a potential divider), which holds these shorted data pins at a certain voltage. This is what tells the phone what sort of charger it's connected to.

Attached are a couple of diagrams to show the difference between the two chargers. There are in fact various setups of resistors that different manufacturers use to set the charging current, so it's quite easy to run into compatibility issues!

To make this a little less confusing I have done some preliminary experimenting, and I set out my results here.

For the test, I used combinations of 4 different usb style mains chargers: an apple iPhone one rated at 1A, an iPad one rated 2.4A, an HTC 1A one, and the genuine S4 one. With these I used two cables - the supplied Samsung S4 one (which is shielded), and a cheap generic one (which isn't). I started by measured the charging current directly with a meter, by using a very short usb breakout lead I've made, enabling me to interrupt the 5V line. However, I soon noticed that the use of any extension cables, even shielded, can lessen the chance of maintaining a good shielding connection, so I continued the exercise relying on the "galaxy charging current" app to get a reading.

Charger.................... Cable................ Current (A)
    =====================================
    HTC 1A.................Generic..................... 0.5
    HTC 1A.................Samsung S4..............1.0

Apple 1A...............Generic......................0.5
    Apple 1A...............Samsung S4..............1.0

Apple 2.4A............Generic......................0.6
    Apple 2.4A............Samsung S4..............1.3

Samsung S4.........Generic...................... 0.8
    Samsung S4.........Samsung S4...............1.3

So as you can see from these results, the original charger makes a difference, and the supplied cable (or a good quality shielded one) makes a further difference. If you have any further findings please feel free to add them here.

I can see that this is going to confuse some people, as it has me, as I'm sure some will inevitably try charging up their phone on generic chargers/leads at some point, with potentially long charging times resulting!

my findings are :

galaxy s4 (i9505) , charging current reported by Charging Widget

the original charger has 5.08V , and 1.2V on Data lines.

but the S4 will not specially need 1.2V on D-lines, just them joined (D- connected to D+). because i have made several tests with or without 1.2V on these lines, makes no difference, it will still draw maximum (1900mA).

the phone during charger connection will raise the current until the voltage drops to an acceptable minimum of ~4.85V and stay at that current. if the voltage drops a little and then raises, the current will raise too.

for example: i connected to a lab power supply (variable voltage) a female USB A connector (with D+ and D- joined) .
    -test 1: i set the voltage to 5.1V on the supply . using the original S4 usb cable i was getting 1320mA reported current. i raised the
    supply voltage to 5.5V and bingo, 1900mA current.
    -test 2: same situation, generic microusb cable : i have to raise the voltage on the supply to 6V to get 1900mA... (so much voltage drop on USB Female connector...)

strange , when S4 reports 1900mA charge, on the lab supply it shows only 1720mA load... and when the screen turns off it shows 1540mA load... so i guess it's not so real the 1.9A load shown on the phone...

after, i connected the same generic microusb cable to S4 original charger, guess what... 1900mA .... (and this cable doesn't even have Shield connected)

Conclusion: original cable is so good, because it has Shield wire connected (so it doubles as a GND wire, helping to reduce GND track resistance) and because it has good quality USB A connector (same is the S4 charger USB connector) . It's important that the pins inside the USB connector make good contact (low resistance).

so if you want to use a generic 2A car charger or home charger, it's important that the charger has good quality USB connector . a sollution if you use a generic China 2-port 2.1A ipad charger (around 2-3$) to make an usb cable that connects to both ports (i was able to get only 1.2A connected with single port with original S4 usb cable) to get the maximum current . Don't forget first to connect D- to D+ inside the charger.

Or if you use good quality charger and get maximum current with original cable but not with other cables, that because some low quality cables have thin wires inside, low quality connectors , and don't have Shield connected (which would've improved GND wire thickness , lowered it's resistance). I have several 1$ usb-microusb cables around, using them with original charger i got currents like 300mA-700mA, so crap....
    Hi Rob,
    Can I ask about S4 charger ? To get 1900mA, we can just use the original cable or we need to short the D-&D+ pins first ? Thanks.

Hello,

For 1900mA you need two things:

A) Have a sufficient charger (2+Ampere) and let the phone know, that it is connected to a high current charging source. I think it is done via connecting D+ and D- on the galaxy models, but I am not 100% sure here.

and even more important:
    B) Deliver enough voltage to the Galaxy mainboard. This can be a problem, cause with a high current like 1900mA and the small diameter cables and small connectors you loose some voltage in the cable on the connectors.

So if the charger sends 5V to the line, on the mainboard you get LESS than 5V on 1900mA. So the Phone maybe does not charge with 1900mA, cause the voltage on the mainboard is to low.

Cause of that the S4 charger is intelligent. If a phone draws 1900mA from the charger, the charger raises its output voltage from 5,0V up to 5,3V to compensate the voltage loss in the cable.

So if you have a non-intelligent 5V charger that can deliver (for example) 5A but always stays at 5,0V it can be, that the S4 still can not charge with 1900mA.

You need a good cable, correct charger identification and a good / matching charger.

BR
    Rob
    Interesting. So basically for us laymen, you are telling us to use the original charger and cables to the extent possible ... right?

Can you clarify to me what an unshielded cable is? Maybe with a picture? I've got a blackberry's cable at work connected to my PC.

At home, I also have a cable and charger that I got with my Nexus S (I think this says Output 5.0V ~ 0.7A).

Would this be a problem or can I get by with these?

Hi,

I believe (guess work here ) that only the original charger "needs" a shielded cable - could be checked by shorting the ground and shield on one side and see if it works at the higher current - if I am bored I may do it - it probably checks the shield and limits the current if it is not there (note I have not tested this so only going by the first posters findings).

BTW a shielded cable has a wire mesh around the 4 internal cables - this mesh avoids external interference messing with the signals. Can't see it affecting the charging though BUT shielded cables tend to have thicker internal cables so could be related to this.

I have it charging at 1.7a on an unshielded cable (thought he power strands are thicker than average) Shielding should only affect the data transfer speed, not the charging current.

If the Nexus S has only a 700mah charger then this will not be able to provide enough current for high speed charging and could easily burn out - nice smell, dead charger, not much else. therefore only use a normal unmodified usb cable (and it will charge at about 450mah).

W.
    Just got my S4, and I've used the Galaxy Charging Current app to find out how much some of my chargers at home can charge the S4, and I see that with the stock charger and stock USB cable that came with the phone, even though it says it can charge up to 2.0A, I only see 1200mA with the Galaxy Charging Current app, yet it fluctuates between 1900 and 1200, depending if I turn the screen on, is that what it's supposed to do?

I've also tested a blackberry playbook charger, which is 2A and it also does the same thing as the stock charger+USB, fluctuates between 1200mA and 1900mA. Is it supposed to fluctuate between the 2? I'm assuming it is for when the screen is on or off.

Just looking for inputs!
    Alright, following my post, here are my findings with Galaxy Charging Current, I have a couple different cables and chargers, coming from a blackberry about 2years ago, I still have this stuff, charging info tested with Galaxy Charging Current:

Blackberry Chargers
    Blackberry Playbook Charger – 5V & 2A – Charging S4 @ 1900mA
    Blackberry Cell Charger – 5V & 700mA – Charging S4 @ 860mA

________ Charger ________________ Cable________________ Current
    Samsung S4 OEM 5V & 2A – Samsung S4 OEM USB – Charging S4 @ 1900mA
    Samsung S4 OEM 5V & 2A – Samsung S3 OEM USB – Charging S4 @ 500mA
    Samsung S4 OEM 5V & 2A – Blackberry Thick USB – Charging S4 @ 1900mA
    Samsung S4 OEM 5V & 2A – Blackberry Thin USB – Charging S4 @ 1640mA

Samsung S3 OEM 5V & 1A – Samsung S4 OEM USB – Charging S4 @ 1220mA
    Samsung S3 OEM 5V & 1A – Samsung S3 OEM USB – Charging S4 @ 340mA
    Samsung S3 OEM 5V & 1A – Blackberry Thick USB – Charging S4 @ 1220mA
    Samsung S3 OEM 5V & 1A – Blackberry Thin USB – Charging S4 @ 1180mA

Computer USB – Samsung S4 OEM USB – Charging S4 @ 460mA
    Computer USB – Samsung S3 OEM USB – Charging S4 @ 460mA
    Computer USB – Blackberry Thick USB – Charging S4 @ 460mA
    Computer USB – Blackberry Thin USB – Charging S4 @ 460mA

So all in all, it seems like the S3 OEM USB is the worst one of them all, and that blackberry stuff is pretty compatible with the Galaxy S4!