XDA IIs Backup Battery at 0% and will not charge

Search This thread

dcloutier

May 5, 2004
I've just acquired an O2 branded (from HK) XDA IIs, and when phone powers up I am notified that the backup battery is at 0%.

Leaving the phone charging in its cradle for 2 days and backup battery still shows as 0%.

Have done both soft and hard reset, as well as upgrading to latest radio stack and OS.

Am I now forced to do surgery on this unit and replace the internal backup battery?

Has anyone performed this process on this unit before?

Hints, part numbers etc

I appreciate all help and thank you in advance.

Daniel

dcloutier

May 5, 2004
In a seperate thread, Sandy suggested charging main battery first in aux charger location, and then trying to charge backup battery since she is under the impression that backup battery charges from main battery. (see Blue Angel forum)

Thanks for the suggestion Sandy.

However, the problem persists.

I've even tried putting the phone on the cradle without the main battery to see if this would force a backup battery charge. The charging light stays red, and after a couple of hours, backup battery status still says 0% (so it's not a sensor issue), and if you remove main battery, it continues to be the same as a hardware reset.

On a positive note, xbackup seems to restore things quite well.

Can anyone else think of any good ideals?

The error message on boot-up emphasizes the problem
"To prevent possible data loss, replace or recharge your battery according to the owner's manual"

I find no such instructions in my owner's manual.

bakerk

What's the longest you've left it on charge.. I had a flat backup battery after it had been off for repair and it took over 3 hours on charge before it showed any charge being taken.
Also I did charge the main battery first as it does affect the ability of the backup battery to acccept a charge

dcloutier

May 5, 2004
Everynight for the past week it's been on charge for atleast 8hrs at a time. However this is not in a cradle but rather using 'travel' charger. Could there be a difference?