[APP] ElWPAudioBooks: How to listen to audiobooks on Windows Phone 7

Search This thread

Frederiksberg

Mar 1, 2012
Problems with long title names

First of All: This app is great. It does exactly what I need :) Thank you so much.

I've only run into one small problem. When I try to convert my Ricky Gervais' podcasts I get an error - apparently because the file names are too long. There are 123 files, so renaming them would be quite a chore. It has to be done individually.

Is there a limit on the length of the file names? And could that maybe be changed in the next version?

Thanks!

anseio

Oct 11, 2011
Seattle
First of All: This app is great. It does exactly what I need :) Thank you so much.

I've only run into one small problem. When I try to convert my Ricky Gervais' podcasts I get an error - apparently because the file names are too long. There are 123 files, so renaming them would be quite a chore. It has to be done individually.

Is there a limit on the length of the file names? And could that maybe be changed in the next version?

Thanks!

If you use the paid version of Media Monkey, for audio management, you can Auto Organize the files. It will allow you to completely change the file and name structure of your entire audio library in one action, if you choose.

I use it to organize my audiobooks before getting them onto my Lumia 800.

ElWPAudioBooks is an amazing little tool.

Frederiksberg

Mar 1, 2012
If you use the paid version of Media Monkey, for audio management, you can Auto Organize the files. It will allow you to completely change the file and name structure of your entire audio library in one action, if you choose.

I use it to organize my audiobooks before getting them onto my Lumia 800.

ElWPAudioBooks is an amazing little tool.

Alright, that might be a possible workaround. Thanks!

teamjawbox

Jan 17, 2012
This app rocks! I travel a lot and am always listening to audiobooks. I've considered ditching my WP7 device several times as I always packed around my old iPhone just to listen to audiobooks.

Thank you very much!

fleon888

Feb 13, 2011
Have you considered doing a refresh of your app with Skydrive support? I'd absolutely love that... I mean a real, fully fledged audiobook player that downloads my own mp3s from Skydrive, plays them, and remembers location. It's the one thing I really want on WP7.

Last edited:

anseio

Oct 11, 2011
Seattle
Have you considered doing a refresh of your app with Skydrive support? I'd absolutely love that... I mean a real, fully fledged audiobook player that downloads my own mp3s from Skydrive, plays them, and remembers location. It's the one thing I really want on WP7.

This is not an app for WP7. It's a program for the PC that creates a faux podcast feed that you can subscribe to in Zune. It then pumps the files into Zune and is playable from the Podcast portion of the Zune player in your WP7 device after the device has been synced.

fleon888

Feb 13, 2011
This is not an app for WP7. It's a program for the PC that creates a faux podcast feed that you can subscribe to in Zune. It then pumps the files into Zune and is playable from the Podcast portion of the Zune player in your WP7 device after the device has been synced.

No, I know that. My post above isn't particularly clear, sorry (it was late). I was wondering if the OP would like to step up a fill a big gap in the WP7 ecosystem by doing a real audiobook WP7 app, as opposed to this (admittedly cool, but awkward) workaround. Now that Mango is out, it should be very possible.

I, for one, would consider using a decent audiobook player rather than the forthcoming Audible option simply b/c of the significant boost to battery life with not having to decrypt the files.

vzak120269

Dec 21, 2009
Just - THANK YOU / СПАСИБО ! ... great job.
Throwing away Lindy Audio - ridiculous transfer through Drop Box .... hope MS learns smthg to make their beloved users life easier :)

I just have one problem - already at the phone : it does not remember last played section. Lets say I am at file5.mp3 in the middle, Pause, then use "stop the music" app. Next time I get to Music and Videos, go to Podcasts, select this podcast and Play it - always starts from file1.mp3 (sometimes from the middle of it) :(.
I hope its me doing smthg wrong, but what ?
When I look at a podcast episodes list it shows some of them with "... minutes left" and some with just a date i.e. it remembers whch episode I tried to play. But never resumes from the last ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update : OK got it that podcast play always starts from 1st "unplayed" segment ... irrespective of "last played" segment. Not so user friendly but tolerable. Does anybody know still hwo to set up to play podcast from "last played and stopped" point ?

Last edited:

veer01_42

Jul 20, 2011
ASUS ZenFone 7/7 Pro
Filename.mp3.mp3

Ok, so for now I have the following todo list:
1) scan all subfolders for audio files in the selected folder (in case you have 4ex disk1, disk2, etc..)
2) try to autofind albumart in the folder with audio book
3) exception when trying to add another book without closing the app
4) ability to add info about audiobook to overview section on the phone.

Ok, accepted. I'll try to implement it soon :)

Additional little bug to deal with when u have a chance. When I add my folder full of music, generate the rss feed and add it into Zune, I set the series setting for that one podcast feel to "Keep All Episodes" "Oldest First" and "Sync all unplayed and partially played"

In turn the folder of audiobook files end up duplicated in my "podcast library" The copied files created there are all titles "filename.mp3.mp3" Weird i know, the filename generation is adding an extra .mp3 to the end of the files.

Would love it if you could fix that hiccup. All in all very useful app and a novel execution to a method that we have all been using fora while to get audiobooks onto our Zune/WP devices.

Thank you soo much for your hard work and time and I wish you much luck with your other projects.

galilee6

Jan 21, 2010
Scotland
Palm Treo Pro
wow

This is one of the best apps I now have. Thanks!

So as I like to listen to audio books very much and as I bought WinPhone I decided to write this app.

It does a really simple thing - generates a podcast feed from a folder that you give to app (with audio book). Than you "subscribe" to this self-made "podcast",set to play it from the oldest one, sync all "episodes" with your phone and that's it.

---------My Other Apps----------
If you like this app you can support me by buying/trying/reviewing my new app WPPersonality
You can get it here http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/042ecd9b-c925-4205-8bce-d3d504034e5a

Read more: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22053634

fleon888

Feb 13, 2011
Hey- was thinking this would be a good way (now that Zune is gone) to generate an .xml and just have the phone point to it from an app like Podcatcher, but I seem to be having some issues getting it to download. Do you think it's because your .xml uses "localhost" as the address instead of a DNS name/IP address?

If that's the issue, would you consider adding the ability to specify an IP or have it automatically grab the local IP address? Thanks!

Hey- was thinking this would be a good way (now that Zune is gone) to generate an .xml and just have the phone point to it from an app like Podcatcher, but I seem to be having some issues getting it to download. Do you think it's because your .xml uses "localhost" as the address instead of a DNS name/IP address?

If that's the issue, would you consider adding the ability to specify an IP or have it automatically grab the local IP address? Thanks!
As soon as I'll get a wp8 device I'm pretty sure I'll continue developing audiobooks app.. But for now I'm kinda not motivated enough...

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
As soon as I'll get a wp8 device I'm pretty sure I'll continue developing audiobooks app.. But for now I'm kinda not motivated enough...

alrighty there mate.

Have you thought anymore about WP8?

Seems 8.1 finally has the ability to pick up podcasts directly, as the poster above though mentions, I cant link to it with http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8888/podcast-name.xml
Zune works fine when replacing the IP address with localhost

initially I though it was just my router failing to pass on the request which was easy to sort out with some port forwarding which allowed the WP8.1 podcast app to connect (your programs shows the initial connection) but the WP doesn't see any files to download.

Dammed if I know why MS buggered up podcasts so badly in this poor zune imitation but if you was to come back to the scene, your program could be used cross platform now that WP can directly link to them. Just a thought, this program is a great simple utility I get a lot of use out of

alrighty there mate.

Have you thought anymore about WP8?

Seems 8.1 finally has the ability to pick up podcasts directly, as the poster above though mentions, I cant link to it with http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8888/podcast-name.xml
Zune works fine when replacing the IP address with localhost

initially I though it was just my router failing to pass on the request which was easy to sort out with some port forwarding which allowed the WP8.1 podcast app to connect (your programs shows the initial connection) but the WP doesn't see any files to download.

Dammed if I know why MS buggered up podcasts so badly in this poor zune imitation but if you was to come back to the scene, your program could be used cross platform now that WP can directly link to them. Just a thought, this program is a great simple utility I get a lot of use out of

8.1 has folder picker, and it can play files from internal storage. I've got a win phone yesterday, and now playing around with all the new stuff in 8.1

I've found out that there's still no convenient way of playing audiobooks... So anyway I will somehow solve this problem for myself and share this with you here...

Reactions: dazza9075

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So as I like to listen to audio books very much and as I bought WinPhone I decided to write this app.

It does a really simple thing - generates a podcast feed from a folder that you give to app (with audio book). Than you "subscribe" to this self-made "podcast",set to play it from the oldest one, sync all "episodes" with your phone and that's it.

If you have a windows phone 8.1+ device please follow to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/windows-phone-...oks2-audio-t2922308/post56362244#post56362244

ElAudioBooks - my new app for listening to audio books.
    [0.1.1]
    @fixed a bug when file names contain spaces.
    *minor changes with url handling

[0.1.2]
    *now file names can be in unicode

[0.2.0]
    *Remembers last opened folder
    *Feed url now depends on book name
    *Can set custom image for your book
    *Log for what is happening
    *Minor UI improvements

[0.2.1]
    *Scans all subfolders for audio files in the selected folder (in case you have 4ex disk1, disk2, etc..)
    *Tries to autofind albumart in the folder with audio book
    @Fixed exception when trying to add another book without closing the app
    *ability to add info about audiobook to overview section on the phone.
    [0.1]
    First release

So there are 7 steps you need to do. They a really simple
    I'll comment them a little:

At step 1 you need to select folder with files of audiobooks.
    Typically you will have smth like
    01.mp3
    02.mp3
    03.mp3
    etc. in the correct folder.

At step 2
    I try to get and sort all files of audiobook.
    You can have 2 types of sorting for now:
    like string: 1.mp3 10.mp3 2.mp3 20.mp3
    like int: 1.mp3 2.mp3 10.mp3 20.mp3
    It's for setting up the right playing order.
    Hope you got it :)

Step 3 is the name of the book. The same name will be on your phone.

Step 4. Select a free port for your system and press Start button.
    If it hadn't threw an exception it is a good sign :)

Step 5.
    Now you have a feed url.
    It should be smth like http://localhost:8888/feed.xml

Step 6. Add podcast to zune with this feed. Set it up to play the older episodes first and to sync ALL episodes with your phone.

Step 7. Actually sync your device and listen to your book

There's also video available on how to:
    http://www.1800pocketpc.com/how-to-get-mp3-audiobooks-to-your-windows-phone-tutorial/23369/
    For now it's just a pretty picture of audio book.
    May be I'll implement custom pictures in future...
    I don't have any of them, so I don't know....