[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery for Galaxy S i9000 (FINAL! SAFE!)

Search This thread

kulasito

Nov 20, 2010
Hey everyone! I rooted my phone, downloaded the ROM, downloaded ROM Manager but for some reason I go to Flash Clockworkmod (which it says it does successfully) and then I try to back up my current ROM and it brings me right back to Samsung boot screen. How do I fix this to bring me to Clockworkmod?

Please help!

CWM is not compatible with rfs partitions only ext4.
If you want it just flash chainfire's kernel.
It's not compatible with ROM Manager though.
You can use nandroid backup manually.

Skin1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 25, 2009
Hi great.... i have an i9003 and i would like to build a zimage to flash with odin that include the recovery 2e.... can you explain me how to build it? Thank you

vios06

May 27, 2010
First things first, if you flashed a previous version of Clockwork Recovery using Odin, FLASH BACK TO A STOCK KERNEL. (There's another link in the forum to do this, I can't find it at the moment)

This recovery is *very* safe to use. It does NOT flash your kernel; it is a completely uninvasive recovery method.

How it works: The recovery is packaged as an update.zip that you run from STOCK recovery. The update.zip unpacks Clockwork Recovery onto the ramdisk and restarts recovery. When you reboot, it reverts back to the original, unmodified, stock recovery. So, you will need to keep the recovery on the root of your SD card as an update.zip, and apply the zip every time you want to start Clockwork.

HOWEVER, if you use ROM Manager, all of the recovery installation and management are done for you!

Installation instructions:
  1. Download ROM Manager from the Market.
  2. Flash Recovery.
  3. Choose Galaxy S i9000 as your phone.
  4. Accept the Superuser prompt.
  5. Use ROM Manager to create a Backup.
  6. On the very FIRST boot of Clockwork, you may need to manually select "reinstall packages" if Clockwork does not start. You should only ever have to do this once. It will be automatic from then on.
  7. Watch the backup go!

That's it! This is completely painless and safe! There is no need for Odin anymore to replace the recovery or flash updates!

If you appreciate my work, please buy the Premium version of ROM Manager!

If you can't seem to get ROM Manager off the market, you can get it from my homepage:
http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/02/clockwork-recovery-image.html

hi, i did the same and got the update.zip in my phone but when i try to apply it during 3e recovery, i always get the <E:failed to verify whole-file signature xxxxx Installation abort>
can anyone help me with this issue?
many thanks in advance.

p/s: the phone is already rooted and rom manager installed with the latest CWM recovery 2.5.1.2

current firmware 2.2, kernel version 2.6.32.9, build number froyo.DXJPE

asicman

Sep 14, 2010
hi, i did the same and got the update.zip in my phone but when i try to apply it during 3e recovery, i always get the <E:failed to verify whole-file signature xxxxx Installation abort>
can anyone help me with this issue?
many thanks in advance.

p/s: the phone is already rooted and rom manager installed with the latest CWM recovery 2.5.1.2

current firmware 2.2, kernel version 2.6.32.9, build number froyo.DXJPE

You need to have recovery 2e installed, which is not mentioned in the OP. Recovery version 3e does not allow for installation of unverified zip files. My understanding is that you need recovery 2e to at least get nandroid up and running and to also install custom ROMs.

I'm currently in the same boat as you. I'll have to try google or youtube and hopefully find some sort of explicit tutorial on how to downgrade to 2e on froyo. The "walkthrus" on xda are too advanced IMHO and make all sorts of assumptions.

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7xV0yE9ZcA

Last edited:

vip333

Feb 21, 2011
Skopje
ok thats great i have only 1 question...
my galaxy is i9000 T (some country region code i guess)
so i wonder if the clockwork mode will run on my phone or its just for the i9000 international....

waiting fast reply, ty in advance

BLADESMAN1889

Jun 18, 2010
SHEFFIELD
Huawei Mate 20 X
Ok so I have d/l Rom Manager and I am doing PLENTY of reading/research before I attempt my first Custom Rom Install. As yet I haven't done anything yet (nandroid back-up etc) because of this warning on the app -

Samsung users: You must flash a Clockwork compatible kernel first.

I have tried to find out how to do this - is it done from within the app ?

Also I am on 2.2 froyo and can I install a gingerbread Rom via Clockwork or can I only use on same firmware currently installed ?

Last edited:

puccaso

Apr 13, 2007
London
galaxy tablet question

i have a EURO galaxy tab
i purchaged the rom manager,
and when i try to flash, it showed the recovery for Galaxy S i9000 and S i9000 (MTD)

which one do i use?

ehknaton

Dec 9, 2011
Hi, I have a nandroidbackup made using CWM 5.0.2.7. And I want to restore it. Now I have CyanogenMod7 and I have Clockworkmod 5.0.0.6.
So I copied the nandroidbackup from external_sd to internal_sd, and now when it shows up in my restore menu.
Is there any problem that the backup was made with Clockworkmod 5.0.2.7 and I restore it with Clockworkmod 5.0.2.6 ?

Last edited:

Rila

Aug 31, 2010
Bucuresti
You need to have recovery 2e installed, which is not mentioned in the OP. Recovery version 3e does not allow for installation of unverified zip files. My understanding is that you need recovery 2e to at least get nandroid up and running and to also install custom ROMs.

I'm currently in the same boat as you. I'll have to try google or youtube and hopefully find some sort of explicit tutorial on how to downgrade to 2e on froyo. The "walkthrus" on xda are too advanced IMHO and make all sorts of assumptions.

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7xV0yE9ZcA

Hi guys,

1. you have to make sure that 3 buton combo is working on your phone,
2. you must root your phone,
3. Third you must make the phone to be lock free and for that you could search for DagentoBoy or RazvanG topics because they resolved the problem with network locked phone. (this problem is easy to sort in 2e Recovery)
4. Fourth you simply install any kind of ROM using Odin or Heimdal method.

God lack.:good:

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
any link to a live one?

Any custom ROM or kernel for the i9000 containes the recoveries that are much more up to date.
You have to check if you have really a i9000 or M110S or some other of about 20 variants of the international i9000.

If you flash wrong files, you will brick your phone, Check some of our sticky threads, we have plenty good guides here ;)

shohag2018

Mar 4, 2014
Any custom ROM or kernel for the i9000 containes the recoveries that are much more up to date.
You have to check if you have really a i9000 or M110S or some other of about 20 variants of the international i9000.

If you flash wrong files, you will brick your phone, Check some of our sticky threads, we have plenty good guides here ;)
thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First things first, if you flashed a previous version of Clockwork Recovery using Odin, FLASH BACK TO A STOCK KERNEL. (There's another link in the forum to do this, I can't find it at the moment)

This recovery is *very* safe to use. It does NOT flash your kernel; it is a completely uninvasive recovery method.

How it works: The recovery is packaged as an update.zip that you run from STOCK recovery. The update.zip unpacks Clockwork Recovery onto the ramdisk and restarts recovery. When you reboot, it reverts back to the original, unmodified, stock recovery. So, you will need to keep the recovery on the root of your SD card as an update.zip, and apply the zip every time you want to start Clockwork.

HOWEVER, if you use ROM Manager, all of the recovery installation and management are done for you!

Installation instructions:
    1. Download ROM Manager from the Market.
    2. Flash Recovery.
    3. Choose Galaxy S i9000 as your phone.
    4. Accept the Superuser prompt.
    5. Use ROM Manager to create a Backup.
    6. On the very FIRST boot of Clockwork, you may need to manually select "reinstall packages" if Clockwork does not start. You should only ever have to do this once. It will be automatic from then on.
    7. Watch the backup go!

That's it! This is completely painless and safe! There is no need for Odin anymore to replace the recovery or flash updates!

If you appreciate my work, please buy the Premium version of ROM Manager!

If you can't seem to get ROM Manager off the market, you can get it from my homepage:
    http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/02/clockwork-recovery-image.html
    hi im helping a friend out with rooting his samsung galaxy s i9000 ive rooted it with no problems superuser works but i cant reboot it in the clo0ckwork mod recovery..... ive tried almost everything... someone pls help us out...
    Thanks in advance, u can mail me at ninotje1993@gmail.com ;)

How did you root? SuperOneClick?

Can you get into Download Mode? (Volume down + Home + Power)
    What happens when you do the 3 button recovery (Volume Up + Home + Power) does it go into Samsung Standard 3e recovery?

If yes, then go about flashing CF-Root from Chainfire here.

This will give you 2e Recovery and ClockWork Mod.

Other options to consider if your friend's 3 button modes are not working:

[FIX] Release: 3-button combo fix for any firmware version

Another option - flash a kernel with SGS Kernel Flasher which have root and busy box, 2e recovery.

[APP][Update] SGS kernel flasher v1.5.9 - flash a kernel within android.

Be sure that you have root access - thing is I'm not sure if this is the way to go about things if you've not got your 3 button recoveries working.

You need to be more specific when asking for this kind of help though.
    Current Rom, firmware, etc.

Hope some of that helps.

PS! Dropped you an email as well - too much time on my hands :p
    Should be working though :confused: :p :D
    Stickied. Closing the other one. Not sure why you would start a new thread instead of modifying the old one though...
    when you upgrade to froyo you also upgrade to recovery 3e

you need to revert to recovery 2e

see here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=788108
    with my original froyo updated from kies
    start ROM manager, tap on flash clockworkmod recovery and receive
    unable to connect server. Please make sure that you have a stable internet connection.
    I am wifi connected at home.
    :confused:

http://koush.tandtgaming.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.2-galaxys.zip

flash this as update zip from 2e recovery.