FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Help covering hole from FFC mod?

209 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By darksandz93, Senior Member on 4th July 2011, 08:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm getting a warranty replacement on my vibrant and i have to cover up the hole from the FFC mod anyone have any ideas as to how? I was told to use nail polish has anyone else tried anything else? also i know this doesn't pertain to my question but anyone else get charged $20 for a 'processing fee'?
6th July 2011, 12:55 AM |#3  
Flag Maricopa, AZ
Thanks Meter: 78

More
Black Duct tape
The Following User Says Thank You to djquick For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift djquick Ad-Free
6th July 2011, 01:19 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
i have not done the mod, but it was black paint to start with right? If so, I would take it apart and tape up the exposed areas you dont want over spray, and then use black spray paint to.

i nail polish would probably not be my first choice as it may leave streaks. I would go for the spray paint if it were me.

off topic, what has gone wrong for you to get a warranty replacement? Im wonder how long they are going to have vibrant warranty replacements? I would guess before too long they are going to have to replace with the Galaxy S 4g...? any thoughts?
The Following User Says Thank You to kboater For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kboater Ad-Free
6th July 2011, 01:48 AM |#5  
Flag Cumming, Ga.
Thanks Meter: 67

More
What i dd was, got a black pen and let a drop of black ink fill the hole. You could see it was a shade diff from the rest of the screen, but never heard anything, its been about 6 months.
The Following User Says Thank You to badaphooko01 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift badaphooko01 Ad-Free
6th July 2011, 10:29 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Thanks a lot for the info guys and the reason i'm having it replaced is bc the GPS just really sucks something fierce and the charging port is extremely loose so i might as well take advantage of my warranty now, as it expires next month.
6th July 2011, 11:15 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
damn it turned out pretty bad. at a certain angle the hole looks darker than the rest of the phone. I guess if you look at the screen as a whole then you wouldn't notice but if you were to focus around the FFC area it's pretty noticeable. Also there was a teeny bit of residue left over from the original glue/paint that i could never get off that's showing through . normally i wouldn't care but they said they would charge me $90 if there was anything that would cause the warranty to be void, geez this sucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to darksandz93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift darksandz93 Ad-Free
6th July 2011, 08:42 PM |#8  
Flag Rhode Island
Thanks Meter: 3

More
maybe try removing the paint from the hole again as if you did the first time you installed the FFC. Then go down to your local craft store and grab some model/hobby paint. Get a nice black that matches best you can, and if the paint still looks a little dark, you can try and dilute it with a little bit of lacquer thinner before hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to jnorth89 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jnorth89 Ad-Free
21st July 2011, 02:50 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
I too am getting a replacement for my handset. I was one of the few idiots that actually hard-bricked his Vibrant. I ran the Samsung Kies update for 2.2 and kaboom, it simply wouldn't turn on.

Whatever the case may be, I have an FFC and need to fill the hole as well, for obvious reasons. My first attempt is gonna be duct tape, as it's the easiest to do and revert from in case of any physical mishap. I fear that a black marker will leave significant streaking, as will any light pen or nail polish. Might have to go with paint or possibly raw ink. I guess I'll post my results/conclusion. Thanks for all of those who contributed to this thread.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)