[APP][WIDGET] NotiCounter Widget v1.1 - 12 Feb - Bugfix - GEAR Exclusive

Search This thread

st-tps

Aug 4, 2010
Sweden
www.lundsoftwares.se
This app is exclusively written to be used as an widget on the NULL_ Rom @ the Samsung Gear!

This app includes two simple 1x1 widgets that shows the number of unread notifications on your Gear.
I also has the option to play custom sounds based on what application is sending the notification.

A great tutorial for using this widget is made by almulder1092 and available here!

Basics:
* Tap widget = Manual update or notifications app launch.
* Play sound upon recieved notification, either a default sound or custom sound per application.
* Trigger update upon ScreenOn and when the Stock notification app is launched
* Customized Text size
* Customized Text Color
* Customized background
* Shows a 0 or a blank spot upon 0 onread notifications

Widget 1 - Bold Text:
* Bold text

Widget 2 - Normal Text:
* Normal text

Permissions:
The app needs SU access since it chmods the badge.db where the unread notifications is listed. Haven´t found any other way around that yet.
Tip: Go into SuperSU and click on NotiCounter Widget and select to inactivate Notifications so you don´t need to see the splash screen every time the app requests SU rights.

It´s still an beta so please report bugs, have experienced some FC´s (should be solved with v0.3b) but overall it works fine.
Keep in mind to use only one widget at a time to keep away from trouble. If you want to change any settings, remove widget from home screen, change settings with app and then put the new widget on home screen.

Screenshots:
NotiCounter_Screen2.png
GearWatchFace2.png

NotiCounter_Screen5.png
NotiCounter_Screen3.png

NotiCounter_Screen6.png
NotiCounter_Screen4.png

Changelog:

Click to show the full Changlog.
0.2b
- Fixed the off centre issue

0.3b
- FC´s should be gone now!
- Added two new Widgets that don´t use the ScreenOn Intent and only updates on time basis (3 min/update) May not be useful since the FC´s now are solved anyways.

0.4b
- Settings added - Start app first and choose settings, then add your widget on Home Screen
- Sound can be played upon recieved notification, choose a custom file of choice. Works only if Screen On is choosen.
- Set update interval: Screen On or a custom time of choice.
- A total of 6 widgets, all with different layouts (See earlier in post). Settings applies on all widgets.

0.5b
- Bugfix: multiple instances of widget running in background wich made sound weird when enabled.
- Built in sound file added, just tick the "Play sound?" box and not choose any custom file and the built in file will be used instead.

0.6b
- Tap the widget and the Notification App opens! turn this feature on in settings. If box is unticked a tap updates the count as in prevoius versions.

0.7b
- SU rights requested from Settings app and with visuals telling when app is ready. Please remove widgets on home screen before update app. (Using an external library for SU request so I can´t do anything about the sometimes long waiting times during update)
- Added two Experimental widgets (Elipse and Round) wich both triggers their update when the badge.db file i written to. This means that the widget will update upon reading the incoming notifications aswell! Screen on settings and update time is not important in these widgets. Please try this and come back with feedback.

0.8b
- Since the last Experimental release didn´t work for anyone but me... Here´s another one with a total rethink about updating widget after notification reading. Please tick the ScreenOn box before adding the experimental widgets. Update as previous versions.

0.9b
- Some users have experienced problems with multiple services (ghost widgets) starting in the background when updating to null_ 17 (Have no clue why yet, seems quite random) As a sollution for this I´we added a setting that makes it possible to Lock a single widget. Use it like this: Enter settings and tick the "Lock one widget" box, choose the widget you plan to use in the menu to the right. Save and go back to the Home Screen and put the widget on there as usual. If a service tries to start it will automatically get destroyed. If you try to add another widget it will update the first time and then get destroyed (Still be visible on Home Screen but be "dead")
- Disabled the option to choose "Screen On" or update time since that might be a thing that´s causing the above issue, Screen On is default now.

0.10b
- The multiple service issue wasn´t null_ related. The services had one single line saying they would autostart at boot, wich mean that when we all upgraded to new rom and rebooted all services got autostarted, Plain silly! :silly: This is changed in this release. The "Lock widget" stays for a while just to be sure that this was the full problem.

0.11b
- HUGE UPDATE!
- Rebuilt GUI with Holo Theme to match null_ rom
- New Icon, Thanks fOmey for that!
- Sound on Gear vibrate mode only (If Gear is set to silent or sound, the widget sound won´t play)
- Experimenal widgets from 0.10b is now default
- ScreenOn is now default, time based update is removed, widget will NEVER update upon Screen Off.
- Custom sounds added."Edit List" shows a list off the custom apps you´we chosen."Add Apps" shows the list of notifications, tap an app name to set a sound for that application.
- A sound library with 11 files is attached, will be copied to /sdcard/NotiCounter upon first launch.
- I may have forgotten something aswell.. :p
Note1 about Custom sound function:
Since Samsung doesn´t close their SQL db as they supposed to I have to do a major file operation before I can pull the name of the incoming notification. Thats why there´s a slight delay (aprox 2-3 sec) before the sound will play! Nothing I can do about that atm.
Note2: In order to add custom sounds for your apps, your gear will need to have a notification from the app already on the gear or the list will be empty.
Thanks almulder1092 for the Feedback

0.12b
- Quick Fix release
- Bug that caused an error if no sound file was selected is fixed
- a Silent soundfile is copied to /system/media/audio/notifications upon first start off app and with a reminder to choose that file if you want sound enabled on the Gear. The reminder shows if you tick the "Use sound" box and have Sound choosen as option in Gear settings. A reboot is necessary to see the new file in Gear sound settings!

0.13b
- the Silent soundfile is copied to /sdcard/notifications instead. Wasn´t working well in /system/
- the old soundfile placed in /system/ is autoremoved when starting app for the first time.
- When no sound file is selected, the GUI will show the text "Default" instead of a blank.
- Most informative messageboxes only shows on the first start off the app.
- Added a Restore Settings button wich restores all saved data made by the app.
- Thanks to almulder1092 for the excellent test drive off this release!

1.0 - Stable
- First stable release!
- The Add App list is now showing the apps selected under Notifications in Gear Manager.
- Text size is configurable
- Text color is configurable, it´s set using the RGB colorpicker showed in the post above.
- Background now has 4 options, Elipse, Round, Transparent and custom, last option let´s you choose whatever image file you want!
- Show 0 or blank spot (at 0 unread notifications) at any background, not limited to Transparent no more.
- Added three power saving modes (Not that it´s a battery hog but it´s better to let the user decide how to update!)
- New custom built filemanager wich fits nicely on the Gear screen.

1.1 - Stable
- Fixed a bug that caused an FC if "Play Sound" was activated but no sound file was manually selected.

Download:
NotiCounter Widget v1.1

If you want an earlier release, all is listed here!)

Wishlist:
- Start Notification app when taping widget (Implemented)
- Notification update after message app check. (Implemented)
- Custom sound based on Notification content (Implemented)
- Custom Text size, color and background (Implemented)

Thanks
Goes to fOmey for the null_ Rom and the finding of the badge.db file!
And to almulder1092 for the excellent bughunt!

And to the Donors:
Srwilliams

Last edited:

Patosbuddy

Nov 30, 2011
Love it. :D
But as you say. I get some info that it has stopped.
Is it me or is it a bit to high out of center?
Is it possible to make it bolder?
Tested some changing in the options but no luck.
Didn't try to restart between the changing.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

Patosbuddy

Nov 30, 2011

NZ_Nitro

Apr 4, 2011

well done this is perfect

st-tps

Aug 4, 2010
Sweden
www.lundsoftwares.se

I'll try to track the FC's, I'we found one that I'll try to solve: if you have one unread notification, goes to message app and reads it and then back to home screen and tries to update widget it freezes.
the good thing is that the app restarts right away after pressing OK.

I haven't put that much effort in fixing the off center issue, it's on the To do list.
What do you mean with options? What I know I haven't done any :)

Reactions: briansteedman

hurdlejade

Sep 29, 2012
which version of custom ROM is required? i installed it, put it on my desktop, gave root access, yet i see no counter at all.. and i do have unread notifications.

edit: it took a little bit longer, but it works now!

st-tps

Aug 4, 2010
Sweden
www.lundsoftwares.se
which version of custom ROM is required? i installed it, put it on my desktop, gave root access, yet i see no counter at all.. and i do have unread notifications.

edit: it took a little bit longer, but it works now!

It´s developed using null_ 15 but since it´s based on stock files the custom rom version won´t make a difference.
You can always tap the widget to update manually.

Regarding FC´s tried the thing I explained earlier but no FC so I Assume I need help locating the reasons.
If someone experienced an FC and can explain how to recreate it I would be very happy, then I can attach log and see whats causing it.

Basil 123

Nov 30, 2010
albasil.com
Really nice. Useful if you're using nova launcher. Just a minor niggle - is centred too high. Always looks out of alignment with other widgets.

Nice one

aviguera

Dec 23, 2013
It´s developed using null_ 15 but since it´s based on stock files the custom rom version won´t make a difference.
You can always tap the widget to update manually.

Regarding FC´s tried the thing I explained earlier but no FC so I Assume I need help locating the reasons.
If someone experienced an FC and can explain how to recreate it I would be very happy, then I can attach log and see whats causing it.

I installed it, didn't actually put it on the screen -- it was just installed -- and got an FC for some reason :)

st-tps

Aug 4, 2010
Sweden
www.lundsoftwares.se
App Update!!

Update released:
v0.2b - small update that fixes the off centre issue

I think I have located the reason for the FC´s aswell, I´ll work on a sollution for that.

st-tps

Aug 4, 2010
Sweden
www.lundsoftwares.se
Hey Mate ,

Terrific work . Can you provide us also a round widget please.

Thanks

Regards

I sure can,
as a sneekpeek I can tell that I´m working on a Settings page where you might set things like that.
Another thing I´m working on is to be able to set a custom sound upon update = Sound and Vibrate when recieving a new notification. Test´s is going fine!

Reactions: aviguera

aviguera

Dec 23, 2013
Yeah please do, I´we totally changed the way how the Service is behaving.
Haven´t got one single FC since the change!

So far so good, but your description is off.

I tried styles 1 and 3 expecting a "0" but those were the ones that showed up blank... either semi-transparent or fully transparent.

The other styles are the ones that actually show a 0 when the unread count is 0.

Maybe it's just me, but that's what I'm seeing on my device.

st-tps

Aug 4, 2010
Sweden
www.lundsoftwares.se
So far so good, but your description is off.

I tried styles 1 and 3 expecting a "0" but those were the ones that showed up blank... either semi-transparent or fully transparent.

The other styles are the ones that actually show a 0 when the unread count is 0.

Maybe it's just me, but that's what I'm seeing on my device.

Oh sorry, nr 2 and nr 3 should change place.
Fixed the first post now.

Thanks for notice!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This app is exclusively written to be used as an widget on the NULL_ Rom @ the Samsung Gear!

This app includes two simple 1x1 widgets that shows the number of unread notifications on your Gear.
    I also has the option to play custom sounds based on what application is sending the notification.

A great tutorial for using this widget is made by almulder1092 and available here!

Basics:
    * Tap widget = Manual update or notifications app launch.
    * Play sound upon recieved notification, either a default sound or custom sound per application.
    * Trigger update upon ScreenOn and when the Stock notification app is launched
    * Customized Text size
    * Customized Text Color
    * Customized background
    * Shows a 0 or a blank spot upon 0 onread notifications

Widget 1 - Bold Text:
    * Bold text

Widget 2 - Normal Text:
    * Normal text

Permissions:
    The app needs SU access since it chmods the badge.db where the unread notifications is listed. Haven´t found any other way around that yet.
    Tip: Go into SuperSU and click on NotiCounter Widget and select to inactivate Notifications so you don´t need to see the splash screen every time the app requests SU rights.

It´s still an beta so please report bugs, have experienced some FC´s (should be solved with v0.3b) but overall it works fine.
    Keep in mind to use only one widget at a time to keep away from trouble. If you want to change any settings, remove widget from home screen, change settings with app and then put the new widget on home screen.

Screenshots:
    NotiCounter_Screen2.png
    GearWatchFace2.png

NotiCounter_Screen5.png
    NotiCounter_Screen3.png

NotiCounter_Screen6.png
    NotiCounter_Screen4.png

Changelog:

Click to show the full Changlog.
    0.2b
    - Fixed the off centre issue

0.3b
    - FC´s should be gone now!
    - Added two new Widgets that don´t use the ScreenOn Intent and only updates on time basis (3 min/update) May not be useful since the FC´s now are solved anyways.

0.4b
    - Settings added - Start app first and choose settings, then add your widget on Home Screen
    - Sound can be played upon recieved notification, choose a custom file of choice. Works only if Screen On is choosen.
    - Set update interval: Screen On or a custom time of choice.
    - A total of 6 widgets, all with different layouts (See earlier in post). Settings applies on all widgets.

0.5b
    - Bugfix: multiple instances of widget running in background wich made sound weird when enabled.
    - Built in sound file added, just tick the "Play sound?" box and not choose any custom file and the built in file will be used instead.

0.6b
    - Tap the widget and the Notification App opens! turn this feature on in settings. If box is unticked a tap updates the count as in prevoius versions.

0.7b
    - SU rights requested from Settings app and with visuals telling when app is ready. Please remove widgets on home screen before update app. (Using an external library for SU request so I can´t do anything about the sometimes long waiting times during update)
    - Added two Experimental widgets (Elipse and Round) wich both triggers their update when the badge.db file i written to. This means that the widget will update upon reading the incoming notifications aswell! Screen on settings and update time is not important in these widgets. Please try this and come back with feedback.

0.8b
    - Since the last Experimental release didn´t work for anyone but me... Here´s another one with a total rethink about updating widget after notification reading. Please tick the ScreenOn box before adding the experimental widgets. Update as previous versions.

0.9b
    - Some users have experienced problems with multiple services (ghost widgets) starting in the background when updating to null_ 17 (Have no clue why yet, seems quite random) As a sollution for this I´we added a setting that makes it possible to Lock a single widget. Use it like this: Enter settings and tick the "Lock one widget" box, choose the widget you plan to use in the menu to the right. Save and go back to the Home Screen and put the widget on there as usual. If a service tries to start it will automatically get destroyed. If you try to add another widget it will update the first time and then get destroyed (Still be visible on Home Screen but be "dead")
    - Disabled the option to choose "Screen On" or update time since that might be a thing that´s causing the above issue, Screen On is default now.

0.10b
    - The multiple service issue wasn´t null_ related. The services had one single line saying they would autostart at boot, wich mean that when we all upgraded to new rom and rebooted all services got autostarted, Plain silly! :silly: This is changed in this release. The "Lock widget" stays for a while just to be sure that this was the full problem.

0.11b
    - HUGE UPDATE!
    - Rebuilt GUI with Holo Theme to match null_ rom
    - New Icon, Thanks fOmey for that!
    - Sound on Gear vibrate mode only (If Gear is set to silent or sound, the widget sound won´t play)
    - Experimenal widgets from 0.10b is now default
    - ScreenOn is now default, time based update is removed, widget will NEVER update upon Screen Off.
    - Custom sounds added."Edit List" shows a list off the custom apps you´we chosen."Add Apps" shows the list of notifications, tap an app name to set a sound for that application.
    - A sound library with 11 files is attached, will be copied to /sdcard/NotiCounter upon first launch.
    - I may have forgotten something aswell.. :p
    Note1 about Custom sound function:
    Since Samsung doesn´t close their SQL db as they supposed to I have to do a major file operation before I can pull the name of the incoming notification. Thats why there´s a slight delay (aprox 2-3 sec) before the sound will play! Nothing I can do about that atm.
    Note2: In order to add custom sounds for your apps, your gear will need to have a notification from the app already on the gear or the list will be empty.
    Thanks almulder1092 for the Feedback

0.12b
    - Quick Fix release
    - Bug that caused an error if no sound file was selected is fixed
    - a Silent soundfile is copied to /system/media/audio/notifications upon first start off app and with a reminder to choose that file if you want sound enabled on the Gear. The reminder shows if you tick the "Use sound" box and have Sound choosen as option in Gear settings. A reboot is necessary to see the new file in Gear sound settings!

0.13b
    - the Silent soundfile is copied to /sdcard/notifications instead. Wasn´t working well in /system/
    - the old soundfile placed in /system/ is autoremoved when starting app for the first time.
    - When no sound file is selected, the GUI will show the text "Default" instead of a blank.
    - Most informative messageboxes only shows on the first start off the app.
    - Added a Restore Settings button wich restores all saved data made by the app.
    - Thanks to almulder1092 for the excellent test drive off this release!

1.0 - Stable
    - First stable release!
    - The Add App list is now showing the apps selected under Notifications in Gear Manager.
    - Text color is configurable, it´s set using the RGB colorpicker showed in the post above.
    - Background now has 4 options, Elipse, Round, Transparent and custom, last option let´s you choose whatever image file you want!
    - Show 0 or blank spot (at 0 unread notifications) at any background, not limited to Transparent no more.
    - Added three power saving modes (Not that it´s a battery hog but it´s better to let the user decide how to update!)

1.1 - Stable
    - Fixed a bug that caused an FC if "Play Sound" was activated but no sound file was manually selected.

Download:
    NotiCounter Widget v1.1

If you want an earlier release, all is listed here!)

Wishlist:
    - Start Notification app when taping widget (Implemented)
    - Notification update after message app check. (Implemented)
    - Custom sound based on Notification content (Implemented)
    - Custom Text size, color and background (Implemented)

Thanks
    Goes to fOmey for the null_ Rom and the finding of the badge.db file!
    And to almulder1092 for the excellent bughunt!

And to the Donors:
    Srwilliams
    App Updated to v1.0 - Stable

Here it is!
    v1.0 is now released with quite a big change log!

- First stable release!
    - Text color is configurable, it´s set using an RGB colorpicker.

Download link in first post!

Our great Tutorial writer almulder1092 has written a great turorial aswell, find it here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48324141&postcount=19
    My question is more basic. I installed this application hoping to get vibration and I am not abel to receive a vibration for each notification. What am I doing wrong. Additionally, I see where you can add a ringtone but when I chose to load a ringtone in my watch it does not take. I know my questions are elementary and I am simply missing something basic

In rom stock sound settings, choose to get vibrations. In my app, choose a custom file and tick the box or just tick the box to recieve sound notifications.

Just an update for ya: reverted back to null_16 and only one service is now running. The 8 services running has something to do with Null_17, not sure what changed.

Did the same thing and alsp only having one service running. Will talk to fOmey what is changed in null_ 17

Still on null 16 and only have one service and one process running. Guess I'll wait for 17. Don't have time to do the update yet anyway.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Experienced the same thing, no problem before upgrading to null_17.

Then we can agree on:
    null_ 16 and 08b = OK
    null_ 17 and 08b = NOK
    null_ 16 and 06b = OK
    null_ 17 and 06b = OK

Will investigating this further...
    App Updated to v0.3b!

Some days are better than others!

Another update today, and now all FC´s should be gone!
    Please update to v0.3b and report any issues.

Download link in first post.
    Cool... yeah I just noticed 1 and 2 have a visible counter and 3-4 are fully transparent.

The only other suggestion for the upcoming Settings page would be to choose the font and maybe background color. White on black when using a transparent background looks good, but some people might prefer orange or blue as the foreground.

Just a thought. :)

A very good thought :)
    I´ll add it to my todo-list!