[DEV] GSM phone calls on Nexus 7 3G

Search This thread

Synman

Recognized Developer
Build just finished (my mbp took a nap some time during the weee hours of the morning).

Code:
Creating filesystem with parameters:
    Size: 681574400
    Block size: 4096
    Blocks per group: 32768
    Inodes per group: 6944
    Inode size: 256
    Journal blocks: 2600
    Label: 
    Blocks: 166400
    Block groups: 6
    Reserved block group size: 47
Labeling /system as u:object_r:system_file:s0
Created filesystem with 1048/41664 inodes and 51191/166400 blocks
+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
Install system fs image: out/target/product/tilapia/system.img
out/target/product/tilapia/system.img+out/target/product/tilapia/obj/PACKAGING/recovery_patch_intermediates/recovery_from_boot.p maxsize=695844864 blocksize=4224 total=200720657 reserve=7028736
DroidDoc took 886 sec. to write docs to out/target/common/docs/doc-comment-check

Will mount system as raw a little later today to see what all is missing driver wise. If it looks complete I'll do a fastboot flash. I did see Mms.apk in /system/app and the gsm permission is in there too.

I do want to close the loop on the additional app options you mentioned. I see them in /system/app (I do not believe VoiceDialer was previously present -- could be wrong though).

TinTin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 12, 2003
Hamburg
mytd2.blogspot.com
I used maguro as a reference.

Might be worth looking at Mako too, because there are a few things in the config.xml which I'm not sure if they're in Maguro as well. See 4.2.1 config.xml here; https://android.googlesource.com/de...rameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml

Things like:
Code:
    <!-- The duration (in milliseconds) that the radio will scan for a signal
         when there's no network connection. If the scan doesn't timeout, use zero -->
    <integer name="config_radioScanningTimeout">9000</integer>
Code:
<!-- Set to true to add links to Cell Broadcast app from Settings and MMS app. -->
    <bool name="config_cellBroadcastAppLinks">true</bool>
Code:
    <string-array name="config_usbHostBlacklist">
        <!--  /dev/bus/usb/001 is used for the modem -->
        <item>/dev/bus/usb/001</item>
    </string-array>

+ a few things concerning tethering in there too!

yksxjan

Nov 26, 2012
Just add this sort of a test also - connect the Nexus using bluetooth to a car telephony system and see if that makes any changes/opens some possibilities.

Shinj1EVA

Mar 4, 2008
CM 10.1 with Telephony

I built with most of the changes recommended by TinTin and I see Phone and Messaging were built. I don't have a microSIM to test with though. Anyone want to try or mirror? PM me.

Shinj1EVA

Mar 4, 2008
Radio should be working. I have the AT&T sim, but i'm currently in Israel, so that won't work here. I'll grab one from orange to test tomorrow.

Meanwhile, here's the link screen shot. I'll PM you the link.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354563745161.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354563745161.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,248
Last edited:

Synman

Recognized Developer
brick city here.... I need the drivers... tried patching system.img and that made no difference either. The CM thing looks interesting. I run it on my 10.1... Was hoping to stay with AOSP on my N7.

Last edited:

punshkin

Jan 6, 2010

<!-- This device is not "voice capable"; it's data-only. -->
<bool name="config_voice_capable">false</bool>

<!-- This device does not allow sms service. -->
<bool name="config_sms_capable">false</bool>

<!-- This device does allow sms service. -->
<bool name="config_sms_capable">true</bool>

i doubt it will be that easy but has someone tried building with
<bool name="config_voice_capable">true</bool>
?

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
i doubt it will be that easy but has someone tried building with

?

That will engage the dialer and allow VOIP. But it isn't enough to get data calls, as per people who have tried. And you don't need to build to make this change. If you are using a deodexed rom, you can run it through my tool the auto-patcher

Code:
./auto_patcher ROMSNAME.zip voice
and then flash the zip it outputs.

If you have stock, you will have to do it by hand after building apktool (unless peaches and paul have released the 4.2 version yet? I haven't looked since I built mine.)

Reactions: punshkin

Synman

Recognized Developer
Read the OP, guys... #3 ... already been re-answered once before.

I pulled in the grouper device drivers and "cross-linked" tilapia with them since apparently we can run group roms without issue, assuming you can live without 3G.

Additionally, I "cross-linked" to maguros gsm driver and we'll see how that goes.

Same place I was last night, except i'm now including some form of drivers.

full-apn
full-telephony
+gsm permission
voice enable = true

Will look at adding / removing product features once I get a build that doesn't brick and can determine what works/doesn't.

Also -- there are no binaries for tilapia on CM's github. Looks like that repo is merely their "bolt-on" to AOSP. If they do have a working experimental ROM my guess it is with the grouper drivers.

Will likely be morning / mid day before I have another update. AOSP builds are a smidge on the slow side.

mateorod, i haven't seen a new pre-compiled release of apktool. Before I cut over to source building I was using their git repo to make apktool, decompile framework-res and repackage.

Last edited:

swordrune10

Mar 26, 2009
Houston, TX
www.swordrune10.net
i assume the extract-files.sh in the cm device tree isn't helpful? all the drivers and firmware needed should be present in the stock rom, unless we r missing something specifically that does data calling..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BEFORE YOU POST HERE - Keep in mind this is now a DEV thread and only those with a glimpse of DEV knowledge should be posting.
    There is other thread with the same subject open to everybody discuss it.

Please, this thread isn't related to VOIP, SIP calls or Tethering and
    It's only to 3G version of Nexus 7.

What do you think is the possibility of us getting this function guys, even if its not officially supported.

I've seen it built in on the 7" samsung galaxy tab 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ9RN...t=HL1351349133

At the moment we know:

1- The chipset Intel (Infineon) XMM6260 is built-in on Nexus 7 3G (the same chipset is in that rather long list of phones). It means no hardware limitations.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34386544&highlight=6260#post34386544
    http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&i...exus_7_3g_32gb
    http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1483053

it also the same controller is in the following devices

- Lava XOLO X900 [Phone]
    - Lenovo K800 [Tablet/Pad]
    - LG-P920 (LG ?) [Phone]
    - LG-P925 (LG Optimus 3D?) [Phone]

- Huawei E369 (3G Hi-Universe) [USB 3G Modem]
    - Huawei MU733/MU739 [PC/CE Module]
    - Samsung Galaxy Nexus (I9200) [Phone]

2- SMS texting works perfectely with the native mms.apk but MMS messages crash the app (missed mms APN + framework parameters?)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1998702&page=4

3- Modified framework-res.apk (by modifying bools.xml entry to name="config_voice_capable">true) shows up the native dialer (phone.apk) on the UI
    JB 4.2 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1958686&page=12
    JB 4.2.1 http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34736932&postcount=314

4- When placing calls trough the native dialer (phone.apk) with Skype app installed, it shows up a white menu asking "Do you want to complete this action using..." the options are "Mobile data" (w/ phone.apk blue icon) or "Skype" (w/ skype icon) and "Always" or "Just Once" (perhaps there is missing a "Phone" profile (or APN) as an option too)

5- If Skype is chosen, the call is complete and everything goes well, but if "Mobile data" is chosen, we get a single sound (bip) and the call is not complete.

6- Changing the DPI to 320 in build.prop file allow us to add a SIP account (SIP calls using native dialer is now possible), DPI could be restored after SIP account settings done.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34752693&highlight=320#post34752693

Detailed informations come from the thread in XDA developers at:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1958686

--------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE 5th Dec 2012 by Synman

ok, I hacked NetworkPolicyManager and am no longer crashing. Network time appears to be non-functional for the time-being. Network status is a little wonky too ... even though I have a good network signal the network icon never switches from gray to blue.
    MMS send/receive is fully functional (with the exception of screwed up timestamps)

Pulled down master AOSP branch
    Pulled down grouper binaries

working with grouper device

Modified device.mk
    - use init.tilapia.rc
    - use tilapia overlay
    - remove SimpleSMS
    - remove ro.carrier=wifi_only

Modified full-grouper.mk
    - ref full_base_telephony in place of full_base
    - added full apns

Modified device-common.mk
    - added gsm permission

system.prop
    replaced ref to libril-icera with libxgold

tilapia overlay
    - removed single apn rules
    - set voice-enabled
    - added mms values

NetworkPolicyManager
    - removed call to time.getMaxPeriod
    Hallo! Bin über meinen Beruf in die tegra3 Struktur geraten und bin einer Lösung für Telefonanrufe sehr nahe! google hat eine Sperre zum Anmelden in die Zellen der Mobilfunkbetreiber gesetzt.
    Ich kann bis jetzt Anrufe im Vorwahlbereich meines Standortes führen (nur Festnetz), nur noch keine Anrufe erhalten oder zu Mobilnummern führen.

Ich muß leider erstmal prüfen ob ich hier durch meinen Arbeitgeber oder anderen Firmen Probleme bekomme und hoffe bis Weihnachten meinen jetzigen Lösungsansatz mit Euch teilen zu können!?

Rough Translation:
    Hello! Here at my job I work with tegra3 and I am very close to finding a solution to making calls. Google has a lock to log into the cells of the mobile operators.
    My progress so far: I can make outgoing calls to numbers with the same area code (landline only), but not receive incoming calls from mobile numbers (Possibly same area code only).

I have to make sure I'm not breaking any NDAs with my company before I can post this half-working solution.

Thanks meter is on the left :)
    sorry, its german

Hallo! Bin über meinen Beruf in die tegra3 Struktur geraten und bin einer Lösung für Telefonanrufe sehr nahe! google hat eine Sperre zum Anmelden in die Zellen der Mobilfunkbetreiber gesetzt.
    Ich kann bis jetzt Anrufe im Vorwahlbereich meines Standortes führen (nur Festnetz), nur noch keine Anrufe erhalten oder zu Mobilnummern führen.

Ich muß leider erstmal prüfen ob ich hier durch meinen Arbeitgeber oder anderen Firmen Probleme bekomme und hoffe bis Weihnachten meinen jetzigen Lösungsansatz mit Euch teilen zu können!?
    I'm done with framework hacks for a framework intentionally gimped.

We are close!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Pulled down master AOSP branch
    Pulled down grouper binaries

working with grouper device

Modified device.mk
    - use init.tilapia.rc
    - use tilapia overlay
    - remove SimpleSMS
    - remove ro.carrier=wifi_only

Modified full-grouper.mk
    - ref full_base_telephony in place of full_base