[DEV][Porting] Ubuntu Touch on Galaxy Note II (GT-N7100)

Search This thread

emwno

Aug 30, 2011
Islamabad
@drapalyuk could you send me your boot.img compiled? Ive tried compiling several times and trying it, but each time Ubuntu boots, lags, crashes. Your help is appreciated

shark_max

Feb 2, 2013
Lorraine
Hurray!

I searched for this post since the the release of the porting guide!
Thank you so much, it seems easier like that!

thenazish

Jan 14, 2013
I get the following errors in console. Please let me know what I might be doing wrong

any outputs in console?

Hey drapalyuk, thanks for the instructions. I followed your instructions line by line. And I got the following error

Code:
 brunch n7100
including vendor/cm/vendorsetup.sh
build/core/config.mk:346: *** Error: could not find jdk tools.jar, please install JDK6, which you can download from java.sun.com.  Stop.
Device n7100 not found. Attempting to retrieve device repository from CyanogenMod Github (http://github.com/CyanogenMod).
Found repository: android_device_samsung_n7100
Default revision: phablet-10.1
Checking branch info
Default revision phablet-10.1 not found in android_device_samsung_n7100. Bailing.
Branches found:
cm-10.1
jellybean
mr1-staging
Use the ROOMSERVICE_BRANCHES environment variable to specify a list of fallback branches.
build/core/config.mk:346: *** Error: could not find jdk tools.jar, please install JDK6, which you can download from java.sun.com.  Stop.

** Don't have a product spec for: 'cm_n7100'
** Do you have the right repo manifest?

No such item in brunch menu. Try 'breakfast'

I guess something is wrong with my manifest.xml. I tried
Code:
repo sync
first with local_manifest.xml as you said.
The following are its contents of my local_manifest.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
<project name="drapalyuk/android_device_samsung_n7100" path="device/samsung/n7100" remote="github" revision="phablet-10.1" />
<project name="drapalyuk/android_device_samsung_smdk4412-common" path="device/samsung/smdk4412-common" remote="github" revision="phablet-10.1" />
<project name="drapalyuk/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4412" path="kernel/samsung/smdk4412" remote="github" revision="phablet-10.1" />
<project name="drapalyuk/android_hardware_samsung" path="hardware/samsung" remote="github" revision="phablet-10.1" />
</manifest>

Later, I removed local_manifest.xml and edited manifest.xml as per Ubuntu's porting guide. Added the following lines -
<project path="device/samsung/n7100" name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_n7100" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />
<project path="device/samsung/smdk4412-common" name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_smdk4412-common" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />
<project path="kernel/samsung/smdk4412" name="CyanogenMod/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4412" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />
<project path="hardware/samsung" name="CyanogenMod/android_hardware_samsung" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />

Both the times I get the above error when running
Code:
[B]brunch n7100[/B]
. Can you please guide me as to what I might be doing wrong. Thanks.

basziee

May 9, 2009
Hey drapalyuk, thanks for the instructions. I followed your instructions line by line. And I got the following error

Code:
 brunch n7100
including vendor/cm/vendorsetup.sh
Device n7100 not found. Attempting to retrieve device repository from CyanogenMod Github (http://github.com/CyanogenMod).
Found repository: android_device_samsung_n7100
Default revision: phablet-10.1
Checking branch info
Default revision phablet-10.1 not found in android_device_samsung_n7100. Bailing.
Branches found:
cm-10.1
jellybean
mr1-staging
Use the ROOMSERVICE_BRANCHES environment variable to specify a list of fallback branches.

** Don't have a product spec for: 'cm_n7100'
** Do you have the right repo manifest?

No such item in brunch menu. Try 'breakfast'

I guess something is wrong with my manifest.xml. I tried
Code:
repo sync
first with local_manifest.xml as you said.
The following are its contents of my local_manifest.xml

Later, I removed local_manifest.xml and edited manifest.xml as per Ubuntu's porting guide. Added the following lines -

Both the times I get the above error when running
Code:
[B]brunch n7100[/B]
. Can you please guide me as to what I might be doing wrong. Thanks.

Install Java JDK

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: thenazish

thenazish

Jan 14, 2013
The clue is in the line

*** Error: could not find jdk tools.jar, please install JDK6, which you can download from java.sun.com.

Thanks for the reply. Doing that right now, didn't think it was important as Ubuntu doesn't use Dalvik, and it wasn't specified anywhere on the Ubuntu Wiki. Anyways setting up JDK- will let you know how it goes.

drapalyuk

May 15, 2011
München
update: fonts rendering issue solved

Not working:
  • GSM
  • WiFi
  • Lots more probably

Installation instructions:

DISCLAIMER: this is development preview do not install if you don't know exactly what you are doing

Attachments

• device-2013-02-27-221410.jpg
    device-2013-02-27-221410.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,403
  • device-2013-02-27-221538.jpg
    device-2013-02-27-221538.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,299
Last edited:

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.

Not working:
  • GSM
  • WiFi
  • Lots more probably

DISCLAIMER: this is development preview do not install if you don't know exactly what you are doing

Sorry man I found your repositories, I don't know why I had trouble. I went back and edited my last post also.

I will have to do some comparing but maybe i can get this to build and boot on the T-Mobile Note II.

Reactions: vlskh

lycan_codex

Apr 6, 2010
Bangalore
Hello,

Can anyone create a mirror for the n7100 specific cm10.1 zip file. When I download its only showing 190KB not the 55MB one...I am eagarly waiting to test this out..

Sorry for spam.

thenazish

Jan 14, 2013
you downloading with your phone?

I tried downloading with my phone and twice it stopped around 100KB. Trying now with my system.

On a different note, I compiled Ubuntu Touch yesterday and was able to generate the zip in croot/out folder. But when I try to flash it through TWRP my phone is stuck on the Model screen. It doesn't go forward. Any ideas? I Wiped completely, then flashed ubuntu Zip and then flashed the quantal zip. What am I doing wrong?

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
Ok I forked drapalyuk's android_device_samsung_smdk4412-common, android_kernel_samsung_smdk4412, and android_hardware_samsung. I then compared the .mk files in his n7100 folder and the .mk files in my t0lte folder. I made changes in the android_device_samsung_t0lte and to android_hardware_samsung. Here is a link to my git hub. It builds for 15 to 20 minutes before it errors out. I think it is past building the kernel. Below is the error I get. Maybe someone can help me with this one.

Code:
target thumb C: audio.primary.smdk4x12 <= device/samsung/t0lte/audio/ril_interface.c
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c: In function 'end_call':
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c:505:32: error: 'DEVICE_BT_SCO_RX_ACDB_ID' undeclared (first use in this function)
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c:505:32: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c: In function 'set_incall_device':
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c:530:33: error: 'TTY_OFF' undeclared (first use in this function)
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c:534:25: error: 'DEVICE_HANDSET_RX_ACDB_ID' undeclared (first use in this function)
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c:535:25: error: 'DEVICE_HANDSET_TX_ACDB_ID' undeclared (first use in this function)
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c:541:25: error: 'DEVICE_SPEAKER_MONO_RX_ACDB_ID' undeclared (first use in this function)
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c:542:25: error: 'DEVICE_SPEAKER_TX_ACDB_ID' undeclared (first use in this function)
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c:547:25: error: 'DEVICE_HEADSET_RX_ACDB_ID' undeclared (first use in this function)
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c:548:25: error: 'DEVICE_HEADSET_TX_ACDB_ID' undeclared (first use in this function)
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c:555:29: error: 'DEVICE_BT_SCO_RX_ACDB_ID' undeclared (first use in this function)
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c:556:29: error: 'DEVICE_BT_SCO_TX_ACDB_ID' undeclared (first use in this function)
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c: In function 'adev_set_parameters':
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c:2671:17: warning: large integer implicitly truncated to unsigned type [-Woverflow]
device/samsung/t0lte/audio/audio_hw.c:2674:17: warning: large integer implicitly truncated to unsigned type [-Woverflow]
make: *** [/home/tmacgnolia/Backup-UPP/out/target/product/t0lte/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/audio.primary.smdk4x12_intermediates/audio_hw.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

basziee

May 9, 2009
I tried downloading with my phone and twice it stopped around 100KB. Trying now with my system.

On a different note, I compiled Ubuntu Touch yesterday and was able to generate the zip in croot/out folder. But when I try to flash it through TWRP my phone is stuck on the Model screen. It doesn't go forward. Any ideas? I Wiped completely, then flashed ubuntu Zip and then flashed the quantal zip. What am I doing wrong?

i installed it with clockworkmod recovery and Team win recovery v2.3.1.1 and is both booting up

andrevs_ro

Feb 18, 2012
i had an error on installing ubuntu
steps that i followed:
1. install cm 10.1 official
2. reboot
3. install specific cm 10.1 unofficial
4. install (flash in cwm) ubuntu

phone doesn't boot. restore backup

what I am doing wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Currently I'm trying to run Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview on my Note II
    So far Ubuntu touch based on cm-10.1 it is quite simple to port to any device supported by cm.

For beginning there are some useful guides:

And here we go:

First of all prepare the Build Environment
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install git gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential \
      zip bzr curl libc6-dev libncurses5-dev:i386 x11proto-core-dev \
      libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 \
      libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 tofrodos \
      python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc zlib1g-dev:i386 schedtool

Install phablet-tools
    Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:phablet-team/tools
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install phablet-tools

To get the source code do bootstrap, it takes a looooong time and need about 15 GB of disk space
    Code:
    phablet-dev-bootstrap -j 4 ubuntu-touch
    Code:
    cd ubuntu-touch

Now we need to grab the n7100 specific git repositories.
    In general we use CyanogenMode repositories with some changes made for ubuntu phone
    For the moment I'm not sure whether it is all changes what we need, therefore I have fork them on git hub,
    so just create a new file .repo/local_manifest.xml with content:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>
      <project name="drapalyuk/android_device_samsung_n7100" path="device/samsung/n7100" remote="github" revision="phablet-10.1" />
      <project name="drapalyuk/android_device_samsung_smdk4412-common" path="device/samsung/smdk4412-common" remote="github" revision="phablet-10.1" />
      <project name="drapalyuk/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4412" path="kernel/samsung/smdk4412" remote="github" revision="phablet-10.1" />
      <project name="drapalyuk/android_hardware_samsung" path="hardware/samsung" remote="github" revision="phablet-10.1" />
    </manifest>

Code:
    repo sync -j4

Extract proprietary blobs, expected you have all ready installed CM-10 on your phone, if not Install CM for n7100
    Code:
    cd device/samsung/n7100
    ./extract-files.sh

If you want to speed up subsequent builds after this one
    Turn on caching
    Code:
    export USE_CCACHE=1

Start the build
    Code:
    . build/envsetup.sh
    brunch n7100
    After successfully build N7100 zip installer will be placed into out/target/product/n7100/cm-10.1-<date>-UNOFFICIAL-n7100.zip

Latest N7100 specific image Here

To Be Continued...

Not working:
    • GSM
    • WiFi
    • Lots more probably

hi folks,
    update: wlan working now

Not working:
    • GSM
    • Lots more probably

current progress
    finally get the gui starting

working:
    • camera (both), flash
    • sound (at least by tacking a photo)
    • microphone (by voice input)
    • pen

known issues:
    • font rendering artifacts
    • no gsm
    • no wifi

to be continued...
    Fixed the kernel issue. Turned out I missed some flags for Ubuntu. Added them and its booting now. May have a way to fix wifi. Going to try it later today.
    ADDED: for some reason disabling paranoid in config caused it to lag for me. (tested with both). Ill try with your zimage