Casemate Tough Case - Pics/Review

Search This thread

sleshepic

Inactive Recognized Themer
Oct 18, 2011
PA
The Tough cases has always been the best I've owned. They have changed the design up for our Note 2 (just like trident, I feel these companies are debuting the latest and greatest with our phone). So I've reviewed it below.

Made a separate review thread here, easier to post a bunch of pics.

http://www.teamvenum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=686

Last edited:

thehunter88

Jul 2, 2010
Thank you for the info.

My 2 cents: can't see how this is "tough". I used to work in Retail and we carried these Case mate's for other phones, and i can't see how it is better protection than an Otterbox (though sadly they make ugly cases for all the phones I own), or even Ballistic. They seem kinda of .. regular.

sleshepic

Oct 18, 2011
PA
For my S2 I had every case there was and it was always the best for being rugged, slim, and awesome grip. The name may make it sound like a contender with the otterbox defender, but its certainly more in the commuter class if thats what your looking for. The design looks different than previous versions, just hope it works out in a good way.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

randpost

Dec 5, 2011
Phoenix
I will say one thing about case-mate, they seem to have good build quality from past products I've tried. They have less pronounced mold lines etc.

Otterbox's are riddled with ugly mold lines everywhere or at least their recent products.

Pompsdai

Jan 5, 2013
Vancouver
Oops didnt see this thread when i created mine hehe ...

Pre-order is available @ shop andrioid Canada. Another promising looking case. Reminds me of a mix of the Body Glove and Diztronic Case.

Canadian Link: http://ca.shopandroid.com/case-mate-...0/4AA13535.htm

Case mate for Note 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1FP3TdTO0s

Built to withstand sudden drops and accidental falls, the Tough Case is the epitome of protection. A snug, form fitting silicone wrap provides shock resistance, while the hard shell protects against impact. The lightweight, slim case adds support and shields your Samsung Galaxy Note 2, keeping your emotional state intact, one drop at a time.

Features:
- Dual layers of silicone and ABS hard shell plastic combine for secure protection
- Form fit feature covers back and corners
- Impact resistant, flexible plastic shell
- Access to all ports and functions

Reactions: sleshepic

zkyevolved

Apr 17, 2008
Oops didnt see this thread when i created mine hehe ...

Pre-order is available @ shop andrioid Canada. Another promising looking case. Reminds me of a mix of the Body Glove and Diztronic Case.

Canadian Link: http://ca.shopandroid.com/case-mate-...0/4AA13535.htm

Case mate for Note 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1FP3TdTO0s

Built to withstand sudden drops and accidental falls, the Tough Case is the epitome of protection. A snug, form fitting silicone wrap provides shock resistance, while the hard shell protects against impact. The lightweight, slim case adds support and shields your Samsung Galaxy Note 2, keeping your emotional state intact, one drop at a time.

Features:
- Dual layers of silicone and ABS hard shell plastic combine for secure protection
- Form fit feature covers back and corners
- Impact resistant, flexible plastic shell
- Access to all ports and functions

It also says "Available!" I'd love this case, but 40 bucks for it without any reviews? I'll wait a week and let Youtube and the forum populate a little ^.^ hehe. But I LOVE the tough case! I had it for another phone and it was great. hehe.

sleshepic

Oct 18, 2011
PA
It also says "Available!" I'd love this case, but 40 bucks for it without any reviews? I'll wait a week and let Youtube and the forum populate a little ^.^ hehe. But I LOVE the tough case! I had it for another phone and it was great. hehe.

Yup, Available is always good. My tracking just popped up and I should have it in a few, they had quick turn around on the order. Wish they had a red and black option, but they only just put em out

blaxican25

Apr 23, 2011
The Bay
Thank you for the info.

My 2 cents: can't see how this is "tough". I used to work in Retail and we carried these Case mate's for other phones, :)and i can't see how it is better protection than an Otterbox (though sadly they make ugly cases for all the phones I own), or even Ballistic. They seem kinda of .. regular.

Lol I agree with you can't see how this case is tough lets see someone do a drop test like the ones for otterbox for are phone and then will see just how tough the case is ,,:)

androidaddict23

Feb 9, 2010
throop,pa
Re: Now Available - Casemate Tough Case

I have one purchased from att today love it only gripe a lot of lift where the camera sits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

sooby77

Nov 22, 2005

I've dropped my S2 multiple times from high, even on the road once getting out from the car. Never had a scratch on my device. IMHO, the greatest feature of the tough case is the grippiness of the textured back. None if the hybrid case out there have this grippy texture. Even the ballistic or otterbox have a somewhat smooth back.

Been waiting for this case for a long time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

sleshepic

Oct 18, 2011
PA

Just got my tough case. I am nothing but impressed. This thing is so light and thin! Barely feels like there is a case on the phone yet has great protection, all the corners are well protected, none of the edges pull back like EVERY other case ive had. Will post pics and review in the OP tonight when I can.

Reactions: MiguelHogue

heyodee

Sep 6, 2009

Just got my tough case. I am nothing but impressed. This thing is so light and thin! Barely feels like there is a case on the phone yet has great protection, all the corners are well protected, none of the edges pull back like EVERY other case ive had. Will post pics and review in the OP tonight when I can.

Can't wait...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

SaNTi285

Jan 3, 2011
Got tired of waiting for a UAG case order so I've decided to order a tough case today.
Took the blue one and It looks great.
You can buy it for 20$ instead of 40$, all you need to do is to put in your order the coupon code "friends50" and It takes off 50% of your case order. Enjoy!!
I can't wait for it to arrive to my country.

Last edited:

firewater88

Feb 20, 2011
Beer City USA
Can someone tell me the size of the hole in the case around the headphone port? I have a set of Shure In-ear monitors I use and they have a fat body around the plug, about 3/8".
I have modified the Samsung case to make it work, but looks ugly. Kinda matches the side I cut to get the flip cover to work with it.

Looking for a new case and this one just came on my radar.

sleshepic

Oct 18, 2011
PA

Can someone tell me the size of the hole in the case around the headphone port? I have a set of Shure In-ear monitors I use and they have a fat body around the plug, about 3/8".
I have modified the Samsung case to make it work, but looks ugly. Kinda matches the side I cut to get the flip cover to work with it.

Looking for a new case and this one just came on my radar.

The cutout actually looks like its exactly 3/8 of an inch(just used a measuring tape). is the plug just shy of 3/8?

Reactions: firewater88

heyodee

Sep 6, 2009

How is the grip on it?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Tough cases has always been the best I've owned. They have changed the design up for our Note 2 (just like trident, I feel these companies are debuting the latest and greatest with our phone). So I've reviewed it below.

Made a separate review thread here, easier to post a bunch of pics.

I got my Marine Blue/Titanium Case-mate Tough Case (http://www.case-mate.com//samsung-g...se-mate-samsung-galaxy-note-2-tough-cases.asp) today and so far very impressed with this case!!! Reading Slesh's review as well as other comments gives you an idea of what to expect, but you don't realize how light and slim this case is until you hold it in your own hands. You almost get fooled into thinking how such a slim case claims to be "tough" and offers you a protection? Make no mistake, it does! I always believe a picture is worth a thousand words, so I included a ton of those below, from every angle and inside-out. Also, want to add a few of my thoughts about the case.

Unlike a lot of other dual layer cases, case-mate came up with an original design of a inner rubber bumper (not the full shell) and outer plastic shell. Bumper is made out of hard TPU material that fits very snugly around the phone, and when assembled with a plastic shell - has zero pull around the edges. Inner plastic shell has an extra cushion lining in the middle which aligns perfectly with a bumper cutout which explains how they were able to make this case so thin. Plastic shell itself has a nice grip and a cool textured design. The textured diamonds are very subtle and the surface is easy to clean, as I found out within minutes after my 4 year old grabbed it with his pizza hands :) The lip, as I tried taking a close up in a few of the pictures, is not as high as on some other cases with silicon lining, but due to TPU hard nature of the material it will serve its purpose on par, if not even better, than other cases with a higher lip made out of soft silicon that pulls away. Every cutout is precise and generous. S-pen is easy to access, headphone jack has wide enough opening to accommodate different options, micro-usb port is wide enough for any after-market plug, and mic and speaker openings wide enough for a clear sound going in and out. Volume and power buttons are clearly marked and very easy to locate just by feeling while sliding your finger along the edge. They also have a click feedback when you press on it. It's true these are not easy to press, but I personally don't mind that because in my previous case with silicone inner shell I had a lot of accidental power on hits. Camera and led flash opening has a slight raised edge which I not sure the purpose of, but it flattens out; I took a close up picture of that as well.

It's hard to say which case I would compare it to because I think it's in a class by itself. It's like a hybrid between Commuter and slim TPU case since it's that thin and yet offers a decent level of protection. Once I get my UAG case, I will do side-by-side comparison since in my book I consider these two cases to offer the best of both worlds between slim design and phone protection.

EDIT. a few more comments. I would like to add that package it came in is actually very high quality and that shiny top is made out of real aluminum, not some cheap foil (I'm talking about the box this case was packaged in). Also, unlike other vendors, it didn't include any screen protector which is common with other higher quality cases. Not sure if its even necessary since those are typically not high quality sp anyway, just a bonus. But still wanted to point out because people asking me if it came with any other goodies lol! Furthermore, the phone is very balanced once on its back, no wobbling or rocking - important if you are using it on flat surface to type/browse. Also, it does offer some grip with a surface once you lay it down on the screen or the back - important detail so the phone will not slide freely if you bump it on the table.

tough-case-01_zpscef51b12.jpg

tough-case-02_zpsc1960272.jpg

tough-case-03_zps088b4fe4.jpg

tough-case-04_zps85c5992d.jpg

tough-case-05_zps58a4a6de.jpg

tough-case-06_zpsa21e16ae.jpg

tough-case-07_zps91eb5389.jpg

tough-case-08_zpsc4a539d8.jpg

tough-case-09_zps5f76dbb0.jpg

tough-case-10_zps4cc52f0a.jpg

tough-case-11_zpsda679962.jpg

tough-case-12_zps38bfbee2.jpg

tough-case-13_zps800f3b0b.jpg

tough-case-14_zpsd3ab650a.jpg

tough-case-15_zps2acb11fe.jpg

tough-case-16_zps0408c84a.jpg

tough-case-17_zpsb69185df.jpg
    Here's a few with the red liner. The sun was beaming right on it in a few of them, and makes the red look lighter than it is.

EDIT: and people keep mentioning how it looks boring or generic, that depends on what you consider to look good. Personally I pay extra money for good clothing and gear that DOESN'T turn me into a walking billboard, or have rediculous markings. I find often in life the highest quality brands don't spend time plastering their damn logo ALL OVER a product and adding useless lines all over the place. All these cases now try to make your phone look like a cyborg, I'm all set with that. I don't think it looks boring at all, I think it looks and feels like quality, and looks professional and sophisticated. Which it is. Also if people are going to complain that the case adds weight and size to the phone over naked, I just don't know what to say. OF course it will! this is a comparison over other cases not over naked, geez lol
    but you don't have a problem posting coupon discounts?

sorry, I didn't know you owned XDA..

It is 100% inappropriate to try to sell personal goods in an accessories thread not dedicated to that. And this thread is for reviews and discount codes pretty much specifically so whats the issue with that? not sure how you dont see the dif dude. You have enough posts under your belt to know better.
    Posted the link in the OP, whipped together a quick review and put a bunch of pics on the team site, might add more etc tomorrow