[1-24-11 Update][Discussion] Windows Mobile Last Stand New Thread UP!!

What do you like Windows Mobile?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

coolsac32

Dec 7, 2007
WM Last Stand HQ Codeplex Source

New Project Thread

Why Save Windows Mobile?
Code:
[I]ok so the reason i amposting this thread is because we all know that windows mobile is dying due to: windows phone 7, android os, web os, and iphone os. i say that is total bs. not just because i am a die hard WM fan but because we are still creating more possibilities for our current WM devices. MAny of us have WVGA devices: topaz, rhodium, leo. and there are VGA, HVGA, and QVGA users out there too. and alot of us either cant change to newer phones because of the plan we are on (im on sprint SERO), no money, or we just want to keep the phones we have. i fall under all the above.  
More and more worderful mods are arrising for HTC Sense, like CHT, new tabs, and max manila. we have fully customizable themes for nearly everything. will we see this kind of user capability on WP7? not sure as of yet. 
So here is my proposition. We can let windows mobile die like the outside world wants, or we can keep on pushing until it is illegal to do so. [/I]

im just combining all the ideas that i know many of you want to see happen:

In my opinion. the WM UI is so barebone and versatile, all the resources we have now can make this last alot longer. just put the pieces to the puzzle together. If any of you developers out there are interested. please let me know so i can update the post.

TEAM WM

I will try to post more info as i create it or find it

TO BE CONTINUED......

Last edited:

retsam88

Feb 23, 2009
+1 to this,
I'd like to see some development on Windows Mobile. I know programming is kinda hard for this OS, but still, within talented hands still you can make wonders.

Devs are abandoning WM, because it's easier to do so.
Also don't force into new hardware, as most people cannot afford or change phone every 1-3 months. Also I like my HTC HD2 as it is.

IMHO Windows 7 phone OS is plain bloatware.....

c_shekhar

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 7, 2005
Good idea.
Personally I have tried Android on my HD2 and come back to WM 6.5.2 as WM still has convinience of functionalities relevant to corporate/business environment.

coolsac32

Dec 7, 2007
Yeah im trying to get more people to hop on while there is still stuff going around for WM.

TeDeV

Aug 27, 2007
Athens
ok guys i got an invitation to this "WM Group" and i fully support it. Yes i am one of those people that believe, that winmo can do all the things that other platforms can do.
Tell me what android can do better than winmo for example. All that it has (and winmo cannot have) is animations. You wanna talk to me about the marketplace? Yes sure, it is a nice free library that you can find almost anything fast, but still this can work on winmo too, the only problem is that a lot of apps are paid in winmo (and they should be, developers need support, they don't work for fun)

WP7 is a useless thing. Microsoft had something with 1000 potentials, and they gave us something with 100. All it can do is play xbox games. The guys didn't even include silverlight or flash or countries support (good luck with that). Don't tell me that it will come with the next update and blah blah blah. They had like 5-6 years at least in order to complete this "operating system", and the final result was a black themed iphone with boxes.

I was testing WP7 on my HD2 earlier, and i was thinking that at least 60% of the things i was seeing there, can be transfered to winmo.

Anyway, it is true that a lot of developers have moved over to android or wp7 or iphone. I don't think that there is a chance of bringing them back, but i do believe that a new developer team can take place, and fill in the "gaps". But these people need motivation, and most of the time, this means donations. People go where money go.

I am doing my part with RapidRead :), when i saw that TapaTalk was not going to happen on winmo, i was pissed, so i decided to do it on my own.

OndraSter

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 27, 2009
Prague
This will be hard for me to write, as I really like WM too, but here we go:

WM is based on 5 or maybe even older kernel, optimized for devices with crappy or no GPU acceleration, rendering all on CPU. Everything is done on CPU. And as much as it is optimized, there is not enough CPU power for the rest of the system. If the system would incorporate newer drivers (as WP7 does from MS) and render all IE, UI, ... on GPU, half of the job would be done.
Now move to the other part - app programming.
WM is featuring a lot of similar code to desktop Windows, even more in .NET environment. But just take a look how much it also misses! It lacks any D3D/OpenGLES development! Well there is some D3D in .NET, but it is really stripped down. No universal OpenGLES and so on, and so on, and so on.

WP7 brought us (developers) awesome Silverlight with XNA support for gaming (DX9? I've seen some DX11 libs in system btw), enabling people to write one core for game and run it on all PC, phone and xbox and just always enahance the control to mouse and keyboard, touchscreen or Xbox controller.

Also not forget about lazy programmers for WM that lack any optimizations, or any suspending when not used - it is normal on winmo to have running app on background eating your battery and half of your CPU.

Should I continue?

TeDeV

Aug 27, 2007
Athens
yeap, 90% of what you said, is that MS gave you a platform (WP7) to play games. go buy a psp instead of a pda

OndraSter

Mar 27, 2009
Prague
It isn't all about games. WM is filled with glitches that MS isn't going ever to fix. Like taskbar often going blank (not repainting). These glitches force you to reboot the phone - and how can you use that, when half of the time you have to reboot it each time you do something?

TeDeV

Aug 27, 2007
Athens
taskbar going blank on winmo?
like never EVER happened. not even once. i didn't even know about that.
my WinMo is rock solid, i guess you need to change roms or apps :)

OndraSter

Mar 27, 2009
Prague
It happened me on all ROMs on all devices I had (Kaiser, TP2, HD2). My own ROMs, stock ROMs, other's cooked ROMs ;).
Do not mention Opera 10 getting stuck in background (and not to be able to re-launch it without reboot, since you can't have two modules or files in memory with the same name). Let's face it, WM is old and new OSes provide way better options and opportunities.

On the other hand, WM is PC with phone. Android is phone with PC. WP7 is cool phone. iOS is cool phone.

coolsac32

Dec 7, 2007
Ok we are not here to argue although i understand where youre coming from. i do have an itouch because i like games on the iphone but as far as the overall picture WM has proved to be a working medium between a computer and a phone which most of us really need and use throughout the day. Lets face it. When a new app has its 15 minutes of fame and your friends all bragg about it. maybe you will miss out on that. but is it really worth spending $100s for something new when there is no need to?
we dont need to live on our phones it just needs to be with us. and i think the philosophy is opposite for Apple especially. Viva la iphone killer!!!!

OndraSter

Mar 27, 2009
Prague
So I got like half hour ago totally mad WHEN I FOUND OUT THAT WP7 CAN'T SYNC ANYHOW NORMAL XLS OR DOC without sending it over internet (email, download it from web). Then I got * on not supporting BT keyboards. Then I got even more * FOR NOT SUPPORTING TETHERING.

Then I got * on Android for another ton of stuff.

And now I am back on WinMo, ready to build perfect OS for phone. On WinMo, everything works. Although there are parts that * me too - sometimes getting stuck, whole VM engine, rendering of graphics, nearly zero games that are worth playing (okay, FPSeCE is good).
WP7 is baby, very young, not capable of doing stuff that I am used to do. And WANT to do.
Android has very bad (at least from what I expected from it) Bluetooth capabilities. Even iPhone owns Android with BT support from what I want.

I am going to need a lot of developers, source code to WM and WP7. Who can help (mostly with the 2nd and 3rd part), PM me. The 1st one after I get the 2nd and 3rd one, thanks :p :D.

Although taking iOS source and modifying it would do the same job haha :D. That's another option LOL.

Sorry, I had to get it out :)

Reactions: BHS Interceptor

Trekfan422991

Dec 1, 2009
wix.com
The thing that really bugs me about the whole growth in smartphone popularity is that when you here about a new app or feature that one of the two leading os's just got or can do... and i can almost garuntee that windows mobile can do it or already had done it...

i see my friends loving their speech to text on their android devices and i tell my phone everything to do through my bluetooth headset.....

wm was way ahead of their time ...

i too have had the taskbar malfunction one too many time but as i look around for a device that i would like to get like an android phone or wp7

i can't help but come to the conclusion that the best viable option is to get an htc hd2...
this way i can try android and wp7 or go back to what i know and love...

people laugh when they hear you have a windows mobile phone... only cause they are told about them from other people like they are the ancestors of the smartphone ... which they are...

but i am only 19 ... 20 in two weeks... and i have decided to hold off getting anything else besides wm until there are non left in the world...

c_shekhar

Jun 7, 2005
So I got like half hour ago totally mad WHEN I FOUND OUT THAT WP7 CAN'T SYNC ANYHOW NORMAL XLS OR DOC without sending it over internet (email, download it from web). Then I got * on not supporting BT keyboards. Then I got even more * FOR NOT SUPPORTING TETHERING.

Then I got * on Android for another ton of stuff.

And now I am back on WinMo, ready to build perfect OS for phone. On WinMo, everything works. Although there are parts that * me too - sometimes getting stuck, whole VM engine, rendering of graphics, nearly zero games that are worth playing (okay, FPSeCE is good).
WP7 is baby, very young, not capable of doing stuff that I am used to do. And WANT to do.
Android has very bad (at least from what I expected from it) Bluetooth capabilities. Even iPhone owns Android with BT support from what I want.

Sorry, I had to get it out :)

I agree. I too have come back to Winmo 6.5.2 and satisfied for everything being fully functional...

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
I'm glad people are stepping up to the plate ;) I haven't developed anything for WM in a long time, since I felt many people had stopped caring about it. Looks like I was wrong. The rendering engine is a real challenge on WinMo, but with almost full access to the entire system, development is so much easier than on WP7.
Long live winmo ;)

Reactions: Marquis63

JukEboXAuDiO

Apr 9, 2008
I agree with you guys whole heartedly. I received a Windows Phone 7 phone from Microsoft for free for testing but it runs on T-Mobile. I onlyhave it for 2 months and Verizon is not coming out with a WP7 phone for god knows how long silo I will be back to my WM phone. I have and always be a fan and have been keeping up with the projects and software as much as I can. I efgen had a hand in a few projects. Check my signature for my software thread and I will continue to support this thread without gusto.

Abdul9.

Dec 30, 2010
Eschweiler
Ok i read everything you guys wrote and i totally have to agree with you guys. Winsmob could has the potential of being the best os out there but what did microsoft do? They just abandoned it and try to do a fresh start with a less than 50% complete os. Dont get me wrong i like wp7 (well only cos of the keyboard), i loved winsmob better with all the feathures even if some are not consistent and there are not some many apps out there. Its just that i'm not a developer but if i could i would reprogram winsmob with features i like in other os. I know its not as easy as i make it seem but hey thats just how i feel.

mal93

Apr 26, 2010
Verona
i would also be cool to a have a decent facebook application and a decent youtube application for windows mobile 6.1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WM Last Stand HQ Codeplex Source

New Project Thread

Why Save Windows Mobile?
    Code:
    [I]ok so the reason i amposting this thread is because we all know that windows mobile is dying due to: windows phone 7, android os, web os, and iphone os. i say that is total bs. not just because i am a die hard WM fan but because we are still creating more possibilities for our current WM devices. MAny of us have WVGA devices: topaz, rhodium, leo. and there are VGA, HVGA, and QVGA users out there too. and alot of us either cant change to newer phones because of the plan we are on (im on sprint SERO), no money, or we just want to keep the phones we have. i fall under all the above.  
    More and more worderful mods are arrising for HTC Sense, like CHT, new tabs, and max manila. we have fully customizable themes for nearly everything. will we see this kind of user capability on WP7? not sure as of yet. 
    So here is my proposition. We can let windows mobile die like the outside world wants, or we can keep on pushing until it is illegal to do so. [/I]

im just combining all the ideas that i know many of you want to see happen:

In my opinion. the WM UI is so barebone and versatile, all the resources we have now can make this last alot longer. just put the pieces to the puzzle together. If any of you developers out there are interested. please let me know so i can update the post.

TEAM WM

I will try to post more info as i create it or find it

TO BE CONTINUED......
    ok guys i got an invitation to this "WM Group" and i fully support it. Yes i am one of those people that believe, that winmo can do all the things that other platforms can do.
    Tell me what android can do better than winmo for example. All that it has (and winmo cannot have) is animations. You wanna talk to me about the marketplace? Yes sure, it is a nice free library that you can find almost anything fast, but still this can work on winmo too, the only problem is that a lot of apps are paid in winmo (and they should be, developers need support, they don't work for fun)

WP7 is a useless thing. Microsoft had something with 1000 potentials, and they gave us something with 100. All it can do is play xbox games. The guys didn't even include silverlight or flash or countries support (good luck with that). Don't tell me that it will come with the next update and blah blah blah. They had like 5-6 years at least in order to complete this "operating system", and the final result was a black themed iphone with boxes.

I was testing WP7 on my HD2 earlier, and i was thinking that at least 60% of the things i was seeing there, can be transfered to winmo.

Anyway, it is true that a lot of developers have moved over to android or wp7 or iphone. I don't think that there is a chance of bringing them back, but i do believe that a new developer team can take place, and fill in the "gaps". But these people need motivation, and most of the time, this means donations. People go where money go.

I am doing my part with RapidRead :), when i saw that TapaTalk was not going to happen on winmo, i was pissed, so i decided to do it on my own.
    Not alone

LOL I'm so glad that there are other people here who can see past the shiny. I have both a Rhodium and a Leo, and if the two had a baby that had the CPU and RAM of the Leo with the form factor of the Rhodium, it'd be awesome. I've always felt that if Microsoft decided to buy Sense from HTC and market the hell out of it that there'd be a whole lot more people using the phone.

Just the other day, I went into the T-Mobile store and the guy was trying to get me to buy an HD7. He was like, "Have you tried it out?"
    Me: "Not really. Why would I want it?"
    Him: "Try it, you'll like it."
    Me: "So...does it do Swype?"
    Him: "No."
    Me: "Does it do Remote Desktop?"
    Me: "Does it sync SMS messages with Exchange 2010?"
    Me: "Can I use the SD card in mass storage mode?"
    Me: "Can I play XviD files natively?"
    Me: "So basically what you're telling me is that every feature I actually USE on my present phone is unavailable?"
    Him: "...yes"
    Me: (plants tongue in cheek) "You might want to work on your sales pitch a bit"

We both had a good laugh.

Joey
    Good idea.
    Personally I have tried Android on my HD2 and come back to WM 6.5.2 as WM still has convinience of functionalities relevant to corporate/business environment.
    I'm not sure that other OS are easier to develop for, but then again I don't think this is the problem; in fact this might be the problem with other OSs. Frankly there are a lot of 'developers' that someone should take away their compilers, for example let’s consider background tasks. I have WM apps that do real time monitoring of something, and if an event occurs, they alert the user (who is rather happy and grateful to be alerted of the situation), now can I move that app to the iPhone or Windows Phone, nope, because they decided that since so many 'developers' have problems with running a task when it shouldn't, that they would fix the problem by simply removing the OS's ability to run apps in the background, certainly one way to fix the problem, but certainly not the only or perhaps the best way to fix the problem. Certainly there was some education presented around apps handling a WM_Hibernate event etc, but I think some user education is also needed no matter what platform is used as you can expect a small battery to run your phone, music, screen, GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, etc as there are limits as to how much power you can store in a battery small enough to fit into a mobile device. Again the solution from a number of the platform vendors seems to have been to simply drop that capability, and again perhaps not the best solution as it again penalizes those who know how to manage power on their system and wanted to do those things for reasonable amounts of time or in powered situations (maybe this is the domain of a tablet for example, given its larger and can have a larger battery, but it’s not as mobile as a phone for example).

Now Gestures are another area supposedly where Windows Mobile is lacking and I have been spending a lot of time lately thinking about Gestures and what they are and how they are used, and I don't think that most people understand them or what they mean to an OS or app. The reality is a double click is as much a gesture as anything else, but the real issue with gestures is, there has to be a meaning associated with a gesture. Nodding or shaking my head is a gesture, but it only has meaning because there is a previous agreement between people as to what it means. An OS or an App is very much the same, either it knows that a gesture means or you provide it with a way to learn a gesture, but this is actually very difficult to do and really no OS or app is doing this currently.

So ultimately the question is, what is wrong with Window Mobile? Certainly the graphics are somewhat dated, but otherwise whats the problem? One huge problem is the Telco's. The concept of locking a phone means it can be locked to a contract and updating the phone means the contract can be updated (extended), and this is counterproductive to the technology. Telco's really don't want you getting an update as you might not update your phone and hence your contract (extend your contract). XDA is a threat to telcos in that if you update your own phone with the uber cool firmwares the chefs here make, then you are less likely to 'need' a new phone and less likely to extend your contract (you’ll likely keep your contract, but not in a locked in state) . It comes down to a simple question, why do people get new phones, what new functionality does a new phone offer? Some might claim that a new phone is more reliable, possibly (no doubt given in some ways its less capable it should be more reliable), I know my old HTC Universal was pretty good, and my HTC HD2 has been great, functionality wise I'm not sure what I'm lacking, in fact I often feel the newer OS are lacking. In short I don't know why people use other OS's on their phone as I can't think of a killer reason to move away from Windows Mobile other then lack of interest, but that hasn't been a problem yet.

Now how prevent lack of interest from becoming a problem? Developers go to where the money is (and the tools). Windows Mobile has some really good and mature development tools etc, but is there enough reward to motivate them. Certainly folks on XDA should chip in a donation to their favourite chef or two to help motivate and enable them to continue cooking up great firmwares. We need to hear some developer success stories so developers understand that worthy efforts will gain a worthy reward and certainly users need to understand that encouragement is needed otherwise Windows Mobile will lose what interest is remaining (certainly there are forces which are trying to suck away interest from Windows Mobile, so it really is up to the user community to resist and create its own interest). So what do users need to maintain or grow their interest in Windows Mobile?