FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Set up ADB and Fastboot on a Mac easily (With Screenshots!)

5,727 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,843

By AshtonTS, Senior Member on 2nd October 2012, 10:37 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th October 2012, 02:51 PM |#11  
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 9

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmeng11

Well since this guide is primarily aimed towards users who only want to root their phone, rather than developers, adb/fastboot is really all you need.
So it would save time to just use an adb/fastboot combo.

Indeed, though this method allows you to update your adb and fastboot via Android SDK Manager (ASM). Also, in cases where all you need is adb and fastboot, you can speed up future update checks by going to "Tools"->"Manage Add-on Sites..." in ASM and click on "Disable All" button in "Official Add-on Sites" tab. From there on Android SDK Manager will check only the default repository containing tools and APIs.

12th October 2012, 10:49 PM |#12  
OP Senior Member
Flag Woodstock, CT

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by visor

First off, nice guide. I am still trying to understand why you've moved adb and fastboot from platform-tools, rather than export the path to that directory. Is there any particular reason?

EDIT: BTW, you've hit the front page on XDA.

It could be done that way, but I personally put other stuff in the android folder on my Mac, and also it's a bit quicker to just drag a file into one folder on your desktop than into a folder within a folder
12th October 2012, 10:50 PM |#13  
OP Senior Member
Flag Woodstock, CT

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat

Hi.

Would it be valid on a very old Powerbook Pismo running 10.4 Tiger??

Thanks in advance and regards.

You won't be able to install the SDK, but you can extract the android.zip to a folder named android on your desktop or wherever and use that in place of the SDK step
The Following User Says Thank You to AshtonTS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AshtonTS Ad-Free
12th October 2012, 11:41 PM |#14  
Flag Palo Alto, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,363

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonTS

You bet! this will work on any mac running any OS X (unless Google blocks the install of the SDK, but I have a way around that.

Actually, that's a PowerPC Mac, so Intel OSX software will not work.
There is no official support for PowerPC that I know of, but someone on XDA did make binaries for PowerPC.

Sent from my HTC Rezound

Edit: yup, official sdk is x86 only.
BTW, here's the link to the ported binaries.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=898744
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wlmeng11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wlmeng11 Ad-Free
13th October 2012, 02:49 PM |#15  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Thumbs up
So many graces, this thing has saved the life because I have not a PC windows, thank you still
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to varanhia For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift varanhia Ad-Free
13th October 2012, 03:47 PM |#16  
OP Senior Member
Flag Woodstock, CT

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanhia

So many graces, this thing has saved the life because I have not a PC windows, thank you still

Glad it worked for you
13th October 2012, 07:35 PM |#17  
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 190

More
Hi,

Thank you very much. Worked like a charm.

Regards,
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSorcerer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DarkSorcerer Ad-Free
14th October 2012, 01:12 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Awesome thread. Thanks for taking out the time
The Following User Says Thank You to nigameash For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nigameash Ad-Free
15th October 2012, 02:46 AM |#19  
OP Senior Member
Flag Woodstock, CT

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSorcerer

Hi,

Thank you very much. Worked like a charm.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigameash

Awesome thread. Thanks for taking out the time

Glad it helped you two

Sent from my HTC Sensation
15th October 2012, 03:41 AM |#20  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Hi thanks so much for this. Ive been wanting something like this for months/ almost a year.

All the other guides didnt work for me, but this was simple and easy to follow.

Ive encountered one problem and its device specific. My nexus 7 tablet works great with adb, but my htc evo 4g lte doesnt. its rooted, and running cm 10 4.1.2. its debugged any idea how to make it see the device?

UPDATE. so i turned on my usb storage on the device and it now sees the phone. Great work!!!!

Am i going to have to connect storage to mac all the time for this to work on any device?
15th October 2012, 07:12 AM |#21  
Flag Palo Alto, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,363

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pithism

Hi thanks so much for this. Ive been wanting something like this for months/ almost a year.

All the other guides didnt work for me, but this was simple and easy to follow.

Ive encountered one problem and its device specific. My nexus 7 tablet works great with adb, but my htc evo 4g lte doesnt. its rooted, and running cm 10 4.1.2. its debugged any idea how to make it see the device?

UPDATE. so i turned on my usb storage on the device and it now sees the phone. Great work!!!!

Am i going to have to connect storage to mac all the time for this to work on any device?

What does it say for "adb devices"?

Sent from my HTC Rezound
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)