FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Audi A4 In Dash Install

253 posts
Thanks Meter: 59
 
By naiku, Senior Member on 5th September 2013, 02:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th September 2013, 02:34 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjv

I just bought a joycon for my mazda 3. Do i need this adapter? i thought i can go from the steering wheel harness into the joycon into the USB hub. Will this not work?

What year is your Mazda? According to the Joycon site it should work with Mazda3 from 2004-2009. See the list towards the bottom of this page for cars that work with the Joycon:

http://www.rcjoycon.com/base_3/menu_...m_board_idx=14
The Following User Says Thank You to naiku For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift naiku Ad-Free
19th September 2013, 02:52 PM |#22  
ryanjv's Avatar
Member
Flag Brampton
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
It's a 2004, so it should be fine.

So I guess the can bus is to get it working with vehicles that aren't compatible via direct hookup.

I just bought the Joycon yesterday, so I guess I'll see. Worst case I'll buy anything else after. I'm not in a rush

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
19th September 2013, 04:56 PM |#23  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjv

So I guess the can bus is to get it working with vehicles that aren't compatible via direct hookup.

Not quite... in newer Audi's, VW's (I am sure also in SEAT's, Skoda's) and I believe it is also in some Ford's, so I am sure other manufacturers as well. CAN-BUS is the protocol used by all the car's computers to talk to one another.

The Joycon cannot interpret CAN-BUS signals, so a converter is needed to sit between the CAN-BUS (vehicle wiring harness) and the Joycon, that takes the CAN-BUS signal, and converts it to a signal that the Joycon can read (resistance). For me a wiring harness that would have been used for me to install an aftermarket head unit in my car does this conversion piece, I believe PAC-Parts make them as well as some others.

Hope that makes sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to naiku For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift naiku Ad-Free
18th October 2013, 05:28 AM |#24  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
That screen is amazing!
The UI design is top-notch. Is this something you've designed from scratch? Any plans to share or market it? I also have an A4 and would definitely consider a mod such as this if I could also use that UI. Either way - GREAT JOB!
18th October 2013, 05:01 PM |#25  
combat goofwing's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 446
 
More
could i just ask i love the look of the launcher, im wanting something like that but not for a car install its for my daughters tablet when docked in her bedroom to use it as the front face for her music, movies etc.How did you get that slimmed down menu look

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
5th November 2013, 07:36 PM |#26  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjoliveira

The UI design is top-notch. Is this something you've designed from scratch? Any plans to share or market it? I also have an A4 and would definitely consider a mod such as this if I could also use that UI. Either way - GREAT JOB!

Sorry for the delay in a reply, the UI is basically an image of an RNS-E that I grabbed from Google. I used Photoshop to clear out everything but the background, I then took a screenshot of the apps on my Nexus, put that onto my laptop and cut the icons I wanted and pasted those onto the RNS-E background. I then used Custom Widgets and Nova launcher to create hotspots so that when I touch one of the apps they open. If you want a copy shoot me a PM and I can email it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat goofwing

could i just ask i love the look of the launcher, im wanting something like that but not for a car install its for my daughters tablet when docked in her bedroom to use it as the front face for her music, movies etc.How did you get that slimmed down menu look

See above, it's pretty straightforward. For your daughters tablet, just find a simple background image that she likes and then create your own icons/widgets. For me the hardest piece was learning how to use UCCW, as getting the hotspots/widgets lined up with the text can be awkward.

I keep meaning to spend some more time working on mine, for example the weather conditions at the bottom of the screen gets cut off as the box is too small. But, finding the time to work on it can be difficult, and it's a minor annoyance.
6th November 2013, 12:34 AM |#27  
ryanjv's Avatar
Member
Flag Brampton
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by combat goofwing

could i just ask i love the look of the launcher, im wanting something like that but not for a car install its for my daughters tablet when docked in her bedroom to use it as the front face for her music, movies etc.How did you get that slimmed down menu look

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiku

See above, it's pretty straightforward. For your daughters tablet, just find a simple background image that she likes and then create your own icons/widgets. For me the hardest piece was learning how to use UCCW, as getting the hotspots/widgets lined up with the text can be awkward.

I keep meaning to spend some more time working on mine, for example the weather conditions at the bottom of the screen gets cut off as the box is too small. But, finding the time to work on it can be difficult, and it's a minor annoyance.

And if your having trouble with UCCW, desktop visualizer is a great alternative. just make the wallpaper with the apps you want, then put invisible hotspot widgets over top using a transparent .png file and make them launch the corresponding app.



here's the post where i got the psd files so i can tinker it and go from his bmw to mazda for my 3
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ml#post1485215
6th November 2013, 07:18 AM |#28  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
Awesome!
28th April 2014, 11:24 AM |#29  
principino1984's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pisa
Thanks Meter: 17
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by naiku

After getting the Joycon installed, I also went ahead and ended up ordering a DCDC-USB, I had been having various odd issues and it turns out that most of them were a combination of poor power, and poor connections. I created a pigtail to connect to the DCDC-USB that has 2 female USB ports, one of them provides power to the hub, the other to the Nexus. Also running a Jabra Journey to route phone calls through. Charging rate is awesome, my battery typically gets to full during a single drive to work, and remains full all week long. Here is how the Nexus currently sits in the dash:



And here is a launcher I am working on:


It's supposed to mimic the RNS-E, so far it's not quite where I want it to be as I want to use %MTRACK to have a basic text of what song is playing, and not use the current widget. Apart from that though I am pretty happy with it.

Next things to do are to try and program a button on my steering wheel to activate voice search on the Nexus, possibly a back up camera and that's about it really.

Hi,

I'm finishing last detail on my fixed in-car installation. I'd like to have your wallpaper to use on my car. Can you please share a HD picture please?

what is the launcher you're using?

thanks a lot
Marco
28th April 2014, 02:51 PM |#30  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by principino1984

Hi,

I'm finishing last detail on my fixed in-car installation. I'd like to have your wallpaper to use on my car. Can you please share a HD picture please?

what is the launcher you're using?

thanks a lot
Marco

PM me your email and I can send over a copy, I am using Nova Launcher and UCCW.
28th April 2014, 10:05 PM |#31  
principino1984's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pisa
Thanks Meter: 17
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by naiku

PM me your email and I can send over a copy, I am using Nova Launcher and UCCW.

Done... Thanks a lot

Marco

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 utilizzando Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes