[Q] Samsung Galaxy S5 losing network connectivity

Search This thread

pimpinonline

Oct 11, 2006
Seattle
My wife and I both have brand new Galaxy S5s, and we both intermittently experience this problem. One of us will send a text message to the other, the text will show as being sent, but the other person doesn't receive it. If the person set to receive the message reboots their phone, the message comes through (as well as any other "pending" messages), and normal phone use continues for a few days until this issue returns. Rebooting seems to always fix the issue temporarily.

This of course is not limited to just communication between our phones, but I was using that as an example. Often times, I'll reboot my phone, and realize I have 3 new text messages, and 2 voicemails from yesterday. Very frustrating.

Phone calls are also affected. When these symptoms are present, phone calls cannot be placed or received until the phone is rebooted. Incoming calls go directly to voicemail.

The worst part of it is, there is no easy way to tell our phones are not connected to the network. The reception status shows good connectivity. Most of the time we're connected to wifi, so email and browsing the internet still work.

I'm just wondering if other people are experiencing this, or have any suggestions of some things we can try. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: michael75

Skyrocket2

Sep 21, 2012
My wife and I both have brand new Galaxy S5s, and we both intermittently experience this problem. One of us will send a text message to the other, the text will show as being sent, but the other person doesn't receive it. If the person set to receive the message reboots their phone, the message comes through (as well as any other "pending" messages), and normal phone use continues for a few days until this issue returns. Rebooting seems to always fix the issue temporarily.

This of course is not limited to just communication between our phones, but I was using that as an example. Often times, I'll reboot my phone, and realize I have 3 new text messages, and 2 voicemails from yesterday. Very frustrating.

Phone calls are also affected. When these symptoms are present, phone calls cannot be placed or received until the phone is rebooted. Incoming calls go directly to voicemail.

The worst part of it is, there is no easy way to tell our phones are not connected to the network. The reception status shows good connectivity. Most of the time we're connected to wifi, so email and browsing the internet still work.

I'm just wondering if other people are experiencing this, or have any suggestions of some things we can try. Thanks for the help.

Samsung just rolled out a new update for T-Mobile S5 variant. This update should fix the issues you're having. Here is the link to it: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=29848

Jtrain88

Sep 27, 2012
Edgewood, Tx
I definitely am..same problem. I am using an unlocked t mobile s5 on att so I think I'm going to put together a flash able att modem and flash it

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Charlie Brown

May 20, 2008
The update killed a lot of people's data speeds. I made a ticket with t-mobile techs. I suggest anyone else with bad data speeds after the new update do the same.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2013
Woodbridge
I had the same issue. went to the T-Mobile store and they told me it was a problem with the isis sim card. They replaced it with a non isis sim and all is good now.

krntehknik303

Nov 5, 2010
Aurora
I'm still having problems with this... I'm rooted. If I go to T-Mobile will they just replace the SIM or will they be checking my phone?

From what I know T-Mobile doesn't care if your phone is rooted because you're not doing any warranty service. If that was the case they will probably tell you that its voided.. I have seen a few that root their own phones at their job so I doubt it'll be a problem. But I guess every T-Mobile store isn't the same..

Larry2148

Jul 14, 2014

Yes this is the exact problem I had with last GS5. Tmobile replaced it and I still have this problem with the new GS5. The tried to tell me it was just how the old GS5 settings were set. They had me do Factory reset many times, it never helped. Now with the replacement GS5 the exact same problem. Like you everything looks great on the display. I would just get calls on my home line wanting to know why I never answer my mobile phone. The only thing that helps me is a restart but it is only temporary. Do you know if they have released a fix for this problem?

pimpinonline

Oct 11, 2006
Seattle
Yes this is the exact problem I had with last GS5. Tmobile replaced it and I still have this problem with the new GS5. The tried to tell me it was just how the old GS5 settings were set. They had me do Factory reset many times, it never helped. Now with the replacement GS5 the exact same problem. Like you everything looks great on the display. I would just get calls on my home line wanting to know why I never answer my mobile phone. The only thing that helps me is a restart but it is only temporary. Do you know if they have released a fix for this problem?

Since upgrading the latest firmware, we have not experienced the problems again. We've been having good service since then. I would definitely suggest you get the latest firmware.

spirodave

Mar 3, 2014
Saint Louis missouri
From what I know T-Mobile doesn't care if your phone is rooted because you're not doing any warranty service. If that was the case they will probably tell you that its voided.. I have seen a few that root their own phones at their job so I doubt it'll be a problem. But I guess every T-Mobile store isn't the same..

The only thing it seems the tmobile employees know how to do is a factory reset .. That is their solution for about everything . Like the other guy said they dont handle warranty . That is for your samsung warranty when knox is tripped . If you have handset protection nothing voids it from what i have seen . I think tmobile would rather replace a rooted phone than one with a cracked screen .

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

I definitely am..same problem. I am using an unlocked t mobile s5 on att so I think I'm going to put together a flash able att modem and flash it

If you put that modem together can you link me it ? Could come in handy in the future. Thanks

pezlomd

Dec 23, 2011
miami
I notice the problem occurs when switching to lte from 4 auto mode. Seems lte is giving these problems. Switch to wcdma only mode and the problem will be gone. No lte tho... I will update to latest fw and see if it solves my problem

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

michael75

Dec 21, 2014
Samsung S5 network connectivity loss

I have a brand new S5 as well and experience exactly the same problems described, and my friends also have Samsung phones and tablets that give the same network connectivity problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The update killed a lot of people's data speeds. I made a ticket with t-mobile techs. I suggest anyone else with bad data speeds after the new update do the same.

Yep. Mine is down to 1 now. :( I have several tickets already open with them. This phone has been nothing but trouble. :(