[GUIDE] Root, flash a custom recovery and/or S-OFF your Desire HD the "easy" way!

Search This thread

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
Location for files

[Fixed with the one click S-OFF from another thread] But still would be curious :)

Hi all,
Nobody asked (or without follow up)
The first command gives me a "can't open DHD..."
I then used
ls /sdcard
ls /DHD
"DHD can't be found", and I checked, double checked that it is on my external sdcard, with the names and all.
Does "place the files on the sdcard" means internal memory? If so how to do that?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

HD_Tester

Sep 16, 2009
Zahedan
tnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

good morning :)

what recovery.img are you flashing in the process btw?! Care to let us know?

Since you take a backup of the original bootloader, maybe it would be handy to create a "revert" script also, where you flash back the original recovery and original bootloader :) in the event that we may need to you know...

The script would then go like this

Code:
dd if=/sdcard/dhd/hboot_orig.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/dhd/hboot_check.nb0

dd if=/sdcard/dhd/recovery_orig.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21

md5sum /sdcard/dhd/hboot_orig.bin
md5sum /sdcard/dhd/hboot_check.nb0

at least thats what i think... Unless the file .nb0 and .bin matters in the if=-- of--- command:)

من ایرانی هستم دمت گرم گوشیه داشت اجر میشد

jair101

Oct 25, 2009
I am getting slightly different error then mentioned in this thread. What do i need to do, continue or what?

I followed the instructions from here: wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=HTC_Desire_HD:_Full_Update_Guide up to the point Flashing the Engineering HBoot (Optional) as i thought this method here provides extra security with the md5 check.

I downgraded the phone, installed 1.32.405.6(the same one as in the instructions) and the root went ok. Thanks in advance!

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ su
#sh /sdcard/DHD/check
df4fd77f44993eb05a4732210d2eddc6 /sdcard/DHD/hboot_eng.nb0
df4fd77f44993eb05a4732210d2eddc6 << CORRECT MD5

If the above MD5 sums do not match ... DO NOT CONTINUE!!!
Something went wrong with the download or extracting this archive!

Making kernel module for version:
gbe90714

Testing kernel module:

insmod: can't insert '/sdcard/DHD/wpx.ko': kernel does not support requested operation

If you get this error:
insmod: init_module '/sdcard/DHD/wpx.ko' failed (Function not implemented)
or
insmod: can't insert '/sdcard/DHD/wpx.ko': Function not implemented

This means the module worked

You can continue with:
sh /sdcard/DHD/backup

noxiuz

Apr 2, 2009
I got this strange error when running the script. I did everything and suddenly everyging went very fast.

I first created a goldcard, flashed the stock rom (1.32) on it, attempted temproot, worked, permroot, reboot etc.

then i copied DHD-smart to the root of my SDcard and executed android terminal emulator with the following code:

su
sh /sdcard/DHD/check

But i couldnt really see what happened and now i got this error;

Android.process.acore is stopped, try again (its in dutch, this is a free translation).

What do i have to do now? Did i mess up real bad or is it fixable?

I used this way to s-off because the easy s-off didnt work (error: do you have root?) but i do have root so i figured out manually doing s-off would be possible.

gvink

Jan 1, 2007
hi, just used the terminal emulator on my Desire HD to try to get the S-off etc. I got the SU root through Visionary's app. GReat work by the way!

Inside the terminal I entered the first two commands and it gave me the notion that "This means it has worked and you can now continue"

Whilst trying to enter the next command I got the popup the the android.process.acore (if I'm correct) process had stopped and that I had to push the 'close now' button. This kept on popping up while I tried to type in the next command.. (same as above post)
I couldn't get it in so I tried to exit the emulator to start over again. Before I knew it it entered into a reboot (I only pressed the home button) and now it's continuously rebooting...
I read all the comments before starting out and saw the notice about not turning the phone off, so I didn't.. :)

Can someone help me out? I need this phone.. :)

Thanks in advance for any help! I hope I didn't brick it..?

UPDATE: Took the battery out, put it back in, rebooted and it now runs okay. it rerooted (Visionary) will try again one more time and post back later..

Last edited:

noxiuz

Apr 2, 2009
hi, just used the terminal emulator on my Desire HD to try to get the S-off etc. I got the SU root through Visionary's app. GReat work by the way!

Inside the terminal I entered the first two commands and it gave me the notion that "This means it has worked and you can now continue"

Whilst trying to enter the next command I got the popup the the android.process.acore (if I'm correct) process had stopped and that I had to push the 'close now' button. This kept on popping up while I tried to type in the next command.. (same as above post)
I couldn't get it in so I tried to exit the emulator to start over again. Before I knew it it entered into a reboot (I only pressed the home button) and now it's continuously rebooting...
I read all the comments before starting out and saw the notice about not turning the phone off, so I didn't.. :)

Can someone help me out? I need this phone.. :)

Thanks in advance for any help! I hope I didn't brick it..?

UPDATE: Took the battery out, put it back in, rebooted and it now runs okay. it rerooted (Visionary) will try again one more time and post back later..

I got the same type of errors. After a while the errors didnt pop up anymore and i quited the terminal. Nothing happened since then, i will try another method of S-OFF, maybe i try easy S-OFF it! again.

htc_mi5

Nov 12, 2007
Hi all,
I am not sure if this has been asked before, I have looked through this thread and tried the search option to no avail. I have just received my new DHD and am looking at rooting it and S-OFF to allow a custom recovery image to be loaded, BUT it is already on Build Version 1.75.110.2 CL301245 release-keys and has a t-mobile boot screen (but no other obvious t-mobile branding). The Kernel Version is: 2.6.32.21-g1e30168
Can anybody tell me if it is possible to use visionary+ to root and this method to S-OFF this version of the handset please?, or do I have to downgrade to a 1.3x rom (possibly having to use a goldcard?) to get this to work?

Thanks in advance.

bratboo

Dec 20, 2009
Is this going to work if I use it on Desire Z? I can't find an easy S-Off on Desire Z forum >.>

Moffasin

Nov 19, 2010
Just tried this on a co-workers phone, after running Visionary+ R14 and everything went fine except for the HBOOT,

The first and second md5 match, but the third does not I guess this is okay?

:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GUIDE] Root, flash a custom recovery and/or S-OFF your Desire HD the "easy" way!

PLEASE DO NOT HOST MY FILES ELSEWHERE ALSO REPORT ERRORS ABOUT IT HERE AND NOT IN ANY OTHER THREADS!

UPDATE: Uploaded a new version with a temporary fix for if not working properly on the latest OTA?

!!!WARNING!!!

ONLY flash the bootloader (HBOOT) aka "S-OFF" if you understand what it is, what it does, what it can do and how it can brick your phone if flashing it fails.

I can not be held responsible if your phone bricks, makes nukes drop from the sky and/or makes your wife pregnant.

Assuming you have the Android SDK (adb) in working order, some basic knowledge of how to use it and experience using the console for those cases something does go tits up.

=====

Requirements: Android Terminal Emulator (from market), the archive attached to this post and a way to extract it to your SD card (file manager, PC, etc).

VISIONairy+ r12 (or higher) is as of v0.5 ONLY needed for rooting your phone, if you already have root you can skip this!

Download and extract the archive to the root of your SD card and read the included instructions (RTFM.txt).

If the first and second MD5 sums match, HBOOT is flashed correctly.
    If the first and third MD5 sums match, HBOOT is not flashed at all and your phone still works like nothing happened.
    If the first does not match second or third, something went wrong and you should NOT reboot your phone but seek help on the forums here!

In the last case, you could first try the hboot script again if that doesn't work something went awfully wrong and you should report back here ASAP but whatever you do ... DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR PHONE

=====

Credits goto all who made this possible: Scotty, tmzt (eMMC write), Paul (MoDaCo) (VISIONairy+ root) and adwinp (first working S-OFF post).
    (If I left some person out of it just sent me a message and I will correct it)
    Hey guys, I've just completed rooting my DHD but can't seem to set r/w permissions for /system. I have tried setting the r/w permissions via Terminal Emulator, adb shell and the clockwork mod recovery (Currently set to 'mount' and if I change to unmount and reboot it will set back to mount).
    Every time I enter into Root Explorer it will be set as r/w until I move into the /system folder where it will switch to r/o and the 'Mount R/W' tab doesn't switch it.
    Can anyone tell me what I might be missing?
    It's set to S-OFF and everything went ok during the root process, I just want to get rid of the bloatware apps.
    Thanks for any help.

If you are able to manually remount rw and it changes back to ro, it seems like something is switching it back?

You can also remove programs with TitaniumBackup, but remounting rw should not switch back automatically.
    I attempted the following steps and i'm not sure if I've rooted my system or not. I typed SU in terminal emulator it prompts me access denied. Prior to that I had to force close many of my apps. And one of the is the superuser.

Is there a way to recover from this? thanks

1) Download Paul's Visionary+ tool
    1.1) Click here to download http://android.modaco.com/content/ht...ne-click-root/ or download it from here http://xdaforums.com/atta...3&d=1290501865
    1.2) Install Visionary+ on Your DHD
    1.3) Run it, enable "Set system r/w after root
    1.4) Click "Temproot Now!" - Wait until it's finished
    1.5) Click Attempt Permroot Now!
    1.6) DHD automatically reboot's
    To test that everything went fine download from market application "terminal emulator"
    run it, type su <------- Unable to proceed from here
    Din feeling is right, abort, get stock rom and try again.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk