FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Did you find this thread useful?

Yes, it was very helpful to me.

1,601 Vote(s)
63.99%
No, I didn't feel it helped me.

415 Vote(s)
16.59%
I don't know.

486 Vote(s)
19.42%

[HELP THREAD] Ask ANY Question. Noob Friendly.

4,429 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,927

Post Reply Email Thread
11th May 2017, 03:01 PM |#38481  
Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 304

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

No, you still aren't getting it. When you go to find your ROMs and download them, usually there will be the ROM.zip and another md5 file, the ROM.zip is what you want, the md5 file is a separate file that is used to check the ROM.zip that you downloaded to verify that the ROM.zip is complete and not a corrupted download. The way it's supposed to work is you download the ROM.zip AND doenload the md5 file, store them both I'm the same location, then when you boot to TWRP and flash the ROM.zip it also references the MD5 file and compares it to the ROM.zip, if they don't match it won't flash the ROM.zip. The purpose of all this is basically a safety feature to make sure you aren't flashing a corrupted download, flashing incomplete files can brick your device, this prevents that.

You were trying to flash the md5 file and it the ROM.zip. Technically you don't even need the md5, you can just download the ROM.zip and flash it without the md5. I've never used the md5 files, I always just download my ROM and go.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

You're so much better with words than I.

11th May 2017, 03:05 PM |#38482  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Host Cloud on android
Hello everyone,
I thought about hosting my own little cloud or a NAS server, just for myself. Maybe with owncloud, really have no idea what is best. I do not trust Dropbox, nor is its free storage enaugh for me.

Then I rembered that I still have some old smartphones lying around, which have everything I need: Processor, RAM, Wireless port, touchscreen, microsd slot and even internal power supply in case of power blackout.

I was wondering if there is an OS for smartphones, which is specifically designed to host a cloud. Or maybe there is a way to get some kind of cloud service running on android? Google did not really give satisfying results. I would like to

I'm looking forward to your Ideas! If there already is a thread that I just did not find, please link me to it

With kind regards
the Fox
11th May 2017, 03:06 PM |#38483  
Quote:
Originally Posted by UziDerulo77

Yeah I finally get the whole story now, I have TWRP Installed and I can move Stuff to the internal storage of the phone. Only problem is when I try to flash a ROM, it says "Error : could not find META-INF/blahblahblah......./update-binary in the ZIP file" which is beacuse the ZIP files I tried flashing had .md5 files in them and no such thing as the META-INF folder. I just needed a link for the ZIP file having a META-INF folder with the update-binary file instead of a ROM with .md5 file

I you by "rom" mean stock rom then yes, you will most likely get a zip with a tar.md5 file in it. That's an odin file.
Other roms comes in zips with /system, meta inf, & boot.img. those are made for flashing with twrp.

Skickat från min SM-A310F via Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to tys0n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tys0n Ad-Free
11th May 2017, 03:58 PM |#38484  

More
Well, uhm, or should I instead try to install linux on the phone and then use the normal owncloud app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePeerlessFennecFox

Hello everyone,
I thought about hosting my own little cloud or a NAS server, just for myself. Maybe with owncloud, really have no idea what is best. I do not trust Dropbox, nor is its free storage enaugh for me.

Then I rembered that I still have some old smartphones lying around, which have everything I need: Processor, RAM, Wireless port, touchscreen, microsd slot and even internal power supply in case of power blackout.

I was wondering if there is an OS for smartphones, which is specifically designed to host a cloud. Or maybe there is a way to get some kind of cloud service running on android? Google did not really give satisfying results. I would like to

I'm looking forward to your Ideas! If there already is a thread that I just did not find, please link me to it

With kind regards
the Fox

11th May 2017, 04:22 PM |#38485  
Quote:
Originally Posted by tys0n

I you by "rom" mean stock rom then yes, you will most likely get a zip with a tar.md5 file in it. That's an odin file.
Other roms comes in zips with /system, meta inf, & boot.img. those are made for flashing with twrp.

Skickat från min SM-A310F via Tapatalk

No, this is not what he means, he was trying to flash a custom ROM but he downloaded and tried to flash the md5 file that is used to check his ROM for content instead of the actual ROM.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Quote:

Hello everyone,

With kind regards
the Fox

Are you trying to use the android devices as storage that you can remotely access? Or do you intend to use some kind of online cloud service with the android device as an interface?

I'm trying to understand the manner in which you intend to incorporate android into what you're doing.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Quote:

Yeah I finally get the whole story now, I have TWRP Installed and I can move Stuff to the internal storage of the phone. Only problem is when I try to flash a ROM, it says "Error : could not find META-INF/blahblahblah......./update-binary in the ZIP file" which is beacuse the ZIP files I tried flashing had .md5 files in them and no such thing as the META-INF folder. I just needed a link for the ZIP file having a META-INF folder with the update-binary file instead of a ROM with .md5 file

You need to go back to where you download that md5 file and download the ROM.zip instead. The ROM.zip will be between 300 MB and 1 GB depending on your device, the md5 is much, much smaller, that's how you identify which file is the actual ROM.zip.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Quote:

You need to go back to where you download that md5 file and download the ROM.zip instead. The ROM.zip will be between 300 MB and 1 GB depending on your device, the md5 is much, much smaller, that's how you identify which file is the actual ROM.zip. When I say "ROM.zip", it won't be labelled "ROM.zip", it should be (name of your ROM).zip

11th May 2017, 04:28 PM |#38486  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
How do i boot huawei y5ii cun-l21 into recovery mod?
I have tried the volUp+poweebottom but it didn't work.
11th May 2017, 04:35 PM |#38487  

More
I would like to use my old smartphone as a local home NAS server, which I can access over the internet from any pc. I would have it at the power cable at all times. I would like to host a cloud, just as if I had a raspberry pi with apache and owncloud installed.
11th May 2017, 05:02 PM |#38488  
Quote:

I would like to use my old smartphone as a local home NAS server, which I can access over the internet from any pc. I would have it at the power cable at all times. I would like to host a cloud, just as if I had a raspberry pi with apache and owncloud installed.

In that case, you can root the device then strip the stock firmware down to the bare minimum for device functionality, removing anything that isn't needed. Then you can repartition your internal storage to give all that extra space from /system partition to your internal storage(/data partition), basically reclaim that space to use it for storage.

Then you can use ES File Explorer to set it up where you can remotely access and share what you have stored there. There is probably more than one way you can do it with ES File Explorer, it has a lot of features for things like this.

I would give you some links for how to use ES File Explorer and it's many features but I think it would be best if you did the search yourself and read through all the results in case this or that guide doesn't explain it all.

Do a Google search for:

"ES File Explorer complete guide"

This will give you plenty of links to guides.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Mensah

How do i boot huawei y5ii cun-l21 into recovery mod?
I have tried the volUp+poweebottom but it didn't work.

Have you tried this?

http://www.recovery-mode.com/android/huawei-y5-2.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
11th May 2017, 06:25 PM |#38489  
Quote:

Well, uhm, or should I instead try to install linux on the phone and then use the normal owncloud app?

You can also try something similar to this if there is an Ubuntu touch OS available for your device model number.

https://www.androidpit.com/forum/618...-a-cloudserver
@ThePeerlessFennecFox I forgot the link, here ya go.

11th May 2017, 09:19 PM |#38490  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

No, you still aren't getting it. When you go to find your ROMs and download them, usually there will be the ROM.zip and another md5 file, the ROM.zip is what you want, the md5 file is a separate file that is used to check the ROM.zip that you downloaded to verify that the ROM.zip is complete and not a corrupted download. The way it's supposed to work is you download the ROM.zip AND download the md5 file, store them both in the same location, then when you boot to TWRP and flash the ROM.zip it also references the MD5 file and compares it to the ROM.zip, if they don't match it won't flash the ROM.zip. The purpose of all this is basically a safety feature to make sure you aren't flashing a corrupted download, flashing incomplete files can brick your device, this prevents that.

You were trying to flash the md5 file and not the ROM.zip. Technically you don't even need the md5, you can just download the ROM.zip and flash it without the md5. I've never used the md5 files, I always just download my ROM and go.

Thanks.... Could you suggest a good site to get the ROM.zip for my S6 G92-F ?? I'm not sure where to get it.......
11th May 2017, 09:31 PM |#38491  
Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 304

More
Quote:

Thanks.... Could you suggest a good site to get the ROM.zip for my S6 G92-F ?? I'm not sure where to get it.......

You can find custom roms for the Galaxy S6 here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/tmo...s6/development

Just be sure you confirm that they compatible with your specific variant before flashing.
The Following User Says Thank You to cwhiatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cwhiatt Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, beginner, confused, guidance, help needed, help thread, lost, newbie, noob, questions and answers

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)