Evo 4G case updates - Ballistic SG, Otterbox Commuter, CaseMate Tough

Search This thread

sqwerl

Dec 29, 2010
Central AL
Yep, I'm starting another Evo 4g case thread. Mainly due to the fact that I can't find any decent reviews on the new Ballistic SG.

I've pretty much ruled out the Otterbox Defender and Ballistic HC because they seem a little more bulky than I want and overkill.

(link removed)

I'm aware of the Otterbox Commuter's issues with the silicone port cover coming off. I held the case and it just seems a little unsubstantial to me. The silicone seems very thin and the hard case is adequate but still seems very thin as well. I've also read a lot of complaints about the silicone deforming and not fitting the phone well after a short time.

(link removed)

The CaseMate Tough Case seems a little more substantial but I can't tell how thick/thin it is from the pictures. The corners seem better protected than the Commuter but there are no port covers.

(link removed)

I can't find any adequate reviews of the Ballistic SG case. It seems a little beefier than both of the others. I've heard the kick stand is a flimsy POS (if it's the same as the Ballistic HC) but I don't mind snapping it off and using the stock one. There are also no port covers with this one. Their customer service seems a little lacking so I don't know about support/warranty issues.

(I can't post links to the cases which is pretty annoying)

Does anyone have any updated information to share on these cases? I searched the forum but couldn't find anything current, especially on the Ballistic SG.

Last edited:

kd0axs

Sep 27, 2010
Blaine, MN
The Ballistic SG looks to basically be like the inner layer of the HC, but with a more finished look. It looks like the kickstand is the same. The kickstand on my HC has held up well, it isn't flimsy at all.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

sqwerl

Dec 29, 2010
Central AL
The Ballistic SG looks to basically be like the inner layer of the HC, but with a more finished look. It looks like the kickstand is the same. The kickstand on my HC has held up well, it isn't flimsy at all.

Except that the very most inner layer of the SG is silicone instead of the outermost layer of the HC. Does the HC case have anything soft inside next to the phone to protect it or do you think the inside could possibly rub the paint off the phone eventually?

How do you like the built in screen protector of the HC? Is it better than a stick on if you've used one of those?

I totally forgot about not having to use the outer layer of the HC which would be good to take that off and stick the phone in my pocket. It looks like the most versatile case.

The only thing about the SG is it has the inner silicone which also servers as the corner bump guards.

I'm still torn. lol

kd0axs

Sep 27, 2010
Blaine, MN
The HC isn't lined with silicone, but it does have "shock absorbent polymer" on both the inside and outside of the inner case. The hard plastic does not touch the phone so there's no need to worry about it getting scratched. The corners are also well protected.

The built in screen protector is the only thing I didn't like about the HC. I actually removed it from the case and I am using a regular protector on my screen.

I was leary if the HC because of the built-in screen protector. I has been waiting months for the release and actually bought the Seidio Innocase Rugged instead. After a couple months I bought the HC simply cause I wanted something new. The screen protector is actually great and feels natural with no loss of function.

sqwerl

Dec 29, 2010
Central AL
I was leary if the HC because of the built-in screen protector. I has been waiting months for the release and actually bought the Seidio Innocase Rugged instead. After a couple months I bought the HC simply cause I wanted something new. The screen protector is actually great and feels natural with no loss of function.
Are you also using the inner adhesive screen protector? I read the outer protector could show air bubbles if not used with the inner one.

A big concern of mine with the HC is the plastic cover around the front rim that covers the prox sensor near the ear piece. I also read that some people have had problems with this. The manufacturer may have resolved this by now.

linhpham2

Jan 27, 2010
I have the Ballistic HC case with the screen protector that came with it. No bubbles here. The cover for the 3.5mm is a little bit floppy, but otherwise ok. I haven't had any issues wit the proximity sensor. Overall, the case is good. I paid $30 at Amazon for it.

Are you also using the inner adhesive screen protector? I read the outer protector could show air bubbles if not used with the inner one.

A big concern of mine with the HC is the plastic cover around the front rim that covers the prox sensor near the ear piece. I also read that some people have had problems with this. The manufacturer may have resolved this by now.

I'm using a Zagg screen protector and did get the oil slick look. The cabby powder trick works to cure that though. I am about to try the protector that came with it and see if that helps. No issues with the proximity sensor here though. I love it though, no complaints from me.

Kyjibo

Aug 31, 2010
I have an Otterbox Commuter (Bought 11/1 Last Year) and it works great. I cut the port cover off the bottom a couple months after I got it because it took too much fidgeting with it to get it to close right and I did not really need it.
The headphone cover on top is also getting pretty close to getting removed since it is an annoyance to have to open/close it all the time when I need it. It does not flip open like the bottom port cover did, but I just don't find that I need the extra protection for the ports on the phone.

Blkdimnd,
I don't know of a fix. Is the plastic raised a bit over the speaker and proximity sensor? Mine wasnt snapped together all the way at the top one time and I had that issue, but it was my fault. You could try bending the front cover so it bows in, instead of out, if that is your issue. Other than that, call Ballistic and see what they say.

Last edited:

demetriusdev

Mar 1, 2011
Im trying to find reviews on the Ballistic SG myself... Seems good so far in terms of form factor as compared to the HC and Defender. I might end up purchasing it !!!

matthewdavisnelson

Dec 6, 2007
I own an Otterbox Commuter for my HTC EVO 4G and it is my second case. My first case was a simple and very inexpensive Amzer black silicone case that did the job of saving the phone's battery cover and camera lens from wear and tear for the first few months. After a friend purchased the Commuter and spoke highly of it and my Amzer case started to fit poorly -- likely my fault from removing it too many times -- I felt the need for something a bit more substantial. I bought the Commuter for around $30 in January and, nearly two months later, I must say that I'm pleased with my second case.

I agree that the silicone port cover feels flimsy. However, the cover shows no signs of ripping and I recharge my phone daily, resulting in heavy use of the cover. It would be great had Otterbox designed the port cover similar to the headphone jack cover, e.g., a cover that fits inside of the ports themselves, preventing them from opening on its own. Nevertheless, I understand why this may not have been practical: the ports are tiny as compared to the headphone jack port and appear to be more delicate.

I love the hard shell that covers that back of the phone. I purchased an inexpensive silicone mat for my car to keep the phone from sliding around on my center console; my first silicone case kept the phone from sliding on much of anything. The silicone inner shell and the hard outer shell easily protect the phone's camera and the screen.

My biggest gripe about the Commuter was the lackluster screen protector. It was great that the case came with a screen protector; it wasn't so great that the screen protector had numerous scratches after only one week of use. I replaced it after two or three weeks with a REALOOK premium screen protector, which comes with two (2) screen protectors and applied more easily than the one included with the case. Thus far, the REALOOK screen protector is holding up much better than the one included with the case and I have a second one to replace the first if it starts to show excessive signs of wear.

I can't personally compare the Commuter with any of the other cases in which you're interested but will personally vouch for the Otterbox Commuter. For $30, I feel that it does a better than adequate job of protecting my phone and it's so much nicer looking than most of the ones that friends and co-workers use for their phones, EVOs or not.

sqwerl

Dec 29, 2010
Central AL
I own an Otterbox Commuter for my HTC EVO 4G and it is my second case. My first case was a simple and very inexpensive Amzer black silicone case that did the job of saving the phone's battery cover and camera lens from wear and tear for the first few months. After a friend purchased the Commuter and spoke highly of it and my Amzer case started to fit poorly -- likely my fault from removing it too many times -- I felt the need for something a bit more substantial. I bought the Commuter for around $30 in January and, nearly two months later, I must say that I'm pleased with my second case.

I agree that the silicone port cover feels flimsy. However, the cover shows no signs of ripping and I recharge my phone daily, resulting in heavy use of the cover. It would be great had Otterbox designed the port cover similar to the headphone jack cover, e.g., a cover that fits inside of the ports themselves, preventing them from opening on its own. Nevertheless, I understand why this may not have been practical: the ports are tiny as compared to the headphone jack port and appear to be more delicate.

I love the hard shell that covers that back of the phone. I purchased an inexpensive silicone mat for my car to keep the phone from sliding around on my center console; my first silicone case kept the phone from sliding on much of anything. The silicone inner shell and the hard outer shell easily protect the phone's camera and the screen.

My biggest gripe about the Commuter was the lackluster screen protector. It was great that the case came with a screen protector; it wasn't so great that the screen protector had numerous scratches after only one week of use. I replaced it after two or three weeks with a REALOOK premium screen protector, which comes with two (2) screen protectors and applied more easily than the one included with the case. Thus far, the REALOOK screen protector is holding up much better than the one included with the case and I have a second one to replace the first if it starts to show excessive signs of wear.

I can't personally compare the Commuter with any of the other cases in which you're interested but will personally vouch for the Otterbox Commuter. For $30, I feel that it does a better than adequate job of protecting my phone and it's so much nicer looking than most of the ones that friends and co-workers use for their phones, EVOs or not.

I appreciate the feedback. I just realized the Ballistic SG also doesn't come with a screen protector. While the one that came with your Commuter may not the best, I suppose it's still better than nothing if comparing it to the other case.

Quite a few people haven't really had a problem with the port cover like you say and if someone wants a case to be indestructible then you probably need to get a Defender.

Just for comparison these are the dimensions I got directly from Ballistic.

Ballistic said:
Thank you for your interest in the HTC Evo Ballistic HC case. Here are the dimensions you requested.

Dimensions in the Gel, including holster:

X – 85.34mm (3.36in)
Y – 145.91mm (5.74in)
Z – 42.47mm (1.67in)

Dimensions in the Gel, No Holster:

X – 81.69 mm (3.22in)
Y – 135.63mm (5.34in)
Z – 24.75mm (0.97in)

Here are the Dimensions for the Shell Only:

X – 77.59mm (3.05in)
Y – 131.27mm (5.17in)
Z – 21.99mm (0.87in)

Here are the dimensions of the HTC Evo Ballistic SG case.

X – 75.97mm (2.99in)
Y – 131.40mm (5.17in)
Z – 22.48mm (0.89in)

What I don't understand is if the SG is supposedly thinner than the HC it doesn't appear that way by the dimensions, unless that takes into account the curvature and the "lay on table" feature of the SG.

One reason I haven't already snatched up the SG is the cost. It looks like no one besides Ballistic is selling it so I can get an HC on Amazon cheaper.

Last edited:

OneStepAhead

May 2, 2009
Madison, WI
diztronic.com
I used the commuters for many months and never had a problem with the bottom port cover. in fact, that was one of my favorite things about the case. i was impressed how well it stayed in, considering all the hating I had read about it.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

sqwerl

Dec 29, 2010
Central AL
I ended up buying a Ballistic HC. For the price, I couldn't beat it. Ballistic is charging $7.95 for shipping so the total on the SG would be around $43 when there are HCs on Amazon all day for a lot less. That's with no screen protector or you can buy a $10 screen protector and get free shipping for an order over $40. Still pricey for such a simple case that I haven't seen any reviews whatsoever on.

Besides price it came down to buying a case with or without a silicone boot. Every complaint I've heard about silicone is stretches out and I didn't want to have to constantly take the boot off my phone to remove dust and lint. I have a silicone cover on another device and it has some terrible scratches all over it from all the trash accumulating. The HC seemed ideal since the silicone layer is optional and has an attached screen protector which pretty much seals it off.

I love the semi-soft material over the inner hard shell. It's firm enough not to move around but soft enough to stick fairly well to most surfaces. It slides easily in and out of my pocket.

The power and volume buttons have a very solid feel.

I was surprised that having an inner and outer screen cover didn't make it any more difficult to register touching the screen.

My biggest gripe about the case is the terrible kickstand. It doesn't snap down very snugly and once you snap it out, it swings very loosely. I thought about taking it totally off but then about 3/4 of the area under the kickstand is only covered by thin mesh for a flush fit. The Otterbox Defender kickstand is much more solid. I'll probably stick some tape under it to stop the rattle.

My second biggest gripe about the HC is some lint/dust still gets inside the case. I hope the case will always stay snapped together well after a lot of opening it to dust off the phone screen. The case snaps together like you almost need a crowbar to get it open!

Whereas the Otterbox Commuter's silicone port plug doesn't stay in place but the headphone plug is good, the exact opposite is true of the HC's silicone jacket. The port plug fits and stays but the headphone plug doesn't stay very well.

Since the top area of the case drops down to right about the screen viewing area, it's difficult to drag the status bar down without a little finesse.

All in all, I think all these trade-offs were pretty acceptable considering the price I paid.

LAYGO

Jul 7, 2010
I *LOVE* my Seido Innocase Surface II/Best Buy Platinum case. It's solid, adds very minimal to the "footprint", doesn't collect lint, and with a screen protector, gives me about 95% coverage (camera lens/leds/kickstand/ear port). It's held up remarkably well with removing it many times to change the battery too. Some cases wear out & become loose or whatnot. I have added a couple pieces of paper to keep the edges firmly seated, but it does fine without it.

I always forget to check, but when I did, I found several different colors on ebay for $19 shipped.

wmstwo002

Jun 23, 2010
Fort Worth
OtterBox

I've used the Commuter and the Defender both. IMO, the Defender is too bulky, but offers great protection. As for the Commuter, I really liked the syle and feel of the the case, but after 3 days took an Exacto knife and cut off the bottom silicone port cover (very poor design). After I did that, I was happy with it. I've dropped my phone several times on the tile in my house and the case provided great protection. The silicone does seem to stretch out after time, especially if you change out batteries often.