[Q] Touchpad won't turn on - home+power doesn't work

Search This thread

nimnox

Jul 31, 2008
Winnipeg
My touchpad has developed the same problem after sitting on my touchstone that wasn't plugged in (actually the socket is switched and that was the only thing plugged in).

So sending it to HP next week.

Frohdi

Dec 28, 2010
I dont have this device and maybe barking up the wrong tree but it sounds like your batteries have run down past the safety level of 3.4v? for each cell. If you are desperate and have no warranty i would open the device, disconnect the battery and get some power into it with a charger to get it past the cut off level. Only do this if you know a bit about lipo's, they can explode....

ceralon

Jul 26, 2006
I am having the same problem. Oddly enough my USB cords have gone bad that came with the touchpad. After leaving on the touchstone and holding power + home i was able to get the battery with 1 red line symbol. I let it charge all night long. I've charged my other touchpad with different chargers and cords. This will sit at the battery symbol in the touchstone for hours and if i plug in the usb charger into the outlet or other outlets its a blank screen with my home button going back and forth / alternating

update:

After trying different methods the unit sat on my touchstone all night long with the battery symbol.
I let it charge with the flashing lights for about 30 minutes and it eventually booted up.

It was booting up for a quick second to the battery symbol then turning off. It also had the symbol of a charger on it which means it needs to be plugged in.

Last edited:

ZackehSoul

Nov 2, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
zackehh.com
Although I bet that at HP, they will just hook it up to a machine with "special" drivers and re-flash it with Web-OS. I wish they would just let me do the repair myself with the appropriate files.

Unfortunately if it is a software issue (I personally don't believe that), they can't/won't fix it because their boot procedures require certain amounts of charge in the device, otherwise they can't load the stuff they need to. At the very least they'd have to remove the battery and work around it somehow, but I doubt they'd bother doing that (if they even have the parts for it), so you'd be looking at a replacement, or more likely a refund.

I dont have this device and maybe barking up the wrong tree but it sounds like your batteries have run down past the safety level of 3.4v? for each cell.

Not sure if that's the case because mine bombed when I wasn't nearby, but you'd assume that if it wasn't plugged in it'd cut itself off way before that level. From memory I think if a TouchPad is rebooted when it has less than 7% battery, you start to receive the charging logos etc. Means people have 7% of the battery to play with (it turns off the charging logos after a short amount of time too, so it can't be run down that way).

Still, I wish there was a more clear-cut answer to it. The fact that various combinations of button-pressing works for different people is ridiculous.

garak112

Sep 4, 2011
Just thought I'd add my solution in, can't guarantee it will work for everyone and I am still not 100% sure what it was that fixed the problem.

My GF came home from work and found her tablet had run out of battery and showed the battery with 1 red bar symbol. This is not the first time it had run out when in android so she plugged it in, 4 hours later she still couldnt get it to boot.

I tried pressing all sort of button combos, all they did was restart the touchpad to the same screen. When I plugged it into the PC it didn't recognise it and WebOS doctor wouldn't run.

I read on another site that a user suspected that the battery was too low to supply the charging circuit but that when initially plugged in some charge would be allowed into the battery. I plugged my touchpad into the AC adaptor and waited for the screen to go black before turning the power off then on at the wall so the screen came back on.

After about 20 minutes of doing this I pressed Power+Home and this time the touchpad did not reboot to the battery icon, it just went blank (no lights anywhere). I decided to go to bed and went to brush my teeth, when I came 5 minutes later to turn everything off it had booted itself into WebOS and had 2% battery. I left it in overnight and it is now charged.

Last edited:

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Simply put, the TouchPad needs a LONG time on the charger after the battery completely dies. I've read reports of the battery not even being recognized by the touchpad and displaying a battery symbol with a question mark in the center. This is apparently caused by the battery completely dying. If you get this (again, from what I have read) you are in trouble. Moral of the story...dont let your TouchPad run out of battery.

kkl0wn

Dec 23, 2007
Simply put, the TouchPad needs a LONG time on the charger after the battery completely dies. I've read reports of the battery not even being recognized by the touchpad and displaying a battery symbol with a question mark in the center. This is apparently caused by the battery completely dying. If you get this (again, from what I have read) you are in trouble. Moral of the story...dont let your TouchPad run out of battery.

It's true. I'm in this situation. Battery completely drained now have the dreaded battery with ? symbol. My warranty is up and I had CM9 on it anyway. I took the touchpad apart and manually charged the battery, still no luck. I bought a new battery, still no luck, have the same battery with ? symbol. I know the battery was charged because Touchpad stayed on and displayed that symbol for over an hour on battery power. Waiting for some solution to this problem.

teezle

Dec 28, 2010
another user on the list

Touchpad was sitting in the touchstone overnight charging (confirmed). Woke up and it was off. Let it sit for three days on the touchstone. Three days directly plugged into bottom of touchpad. Hold down buttons....etc

Has nothing on the screen and no signs of life. 16GB version. Bought it off of Craigslist about 4 months ago....... going to see if I can get warrantee work on it......

Last edited:

GansitoLoco

Sep 8, 2008
A long time to charge is right! Reading this thread did not give me much confidence mine would recover. We have abused it, using non-HP charges with fewer amps than the HP barrel charger. Like others have said, my original HP USB cable went bad. Ordered a new USB cable, but had been charging the touchpad with a cellphone charge, at home and with the car version from lighter socket.

Finally after 2 1/2 days I was able to boot it up. Reported 51% charged, but even plugged into power it drains. :(

I have put the cyanogen mod on it, but I really doubt this has much to do software. I think this is a hardware problem that they could let a device with a non-replaceable battery get into this state.

teezle

Dec 28, 2010
got the touchpad to boot up....

Well, after a couple of weeks I played with it again. I plugged it in directly to the wall charger and the touchstone together at the same time. I ended up hearing a faint click coming from the device.....very faint...

Ended up leaving it on the touchstone and unplugging and plugging in the other wall charger. The home button after about a minute of doing this started to flash left to right. Never seen this before. I then left both chargers plugged in for about and hour then the low battery symbol appeared! Left it on both chargers for about 8 hours and it booted back into webos (my default).

Going to test cm9....may end up removing it. Webos seems to have everything i need.

Hope ths helps someone....

Reactions: leepriestenator

naifs_br10

Nov 21, 2010
toronto
good morning everybody.

i posted last 2 days ago my tp was not working and was completely dead. i will tell you what i did to revive it and i do no gurantee it to work but share my experience only.

touchpad completely dead... :(

1) leave in charger for 1 to 2 days straight without removing charger
2) press power and press home key (front face screen key) unlimited times)
3) after that i take out charger and plug it back in

and it worked. i also twitched with the charger itself back and forth twisting and turning it then i plugged it in.

hope this helps

jmerlos

Aug 7, 2007
Rogers
My Touchpad died yesterday and it wouldn't charge. When plugged in it would just show the charging image and wouldn't boot up no matter what. I left it plugged in and eventually it booted up. The screen showed it was charging but at zero percent no matter how long I left it. I went into Settings, Storage, Menu, USB Computer connection and I noticed MTP was unchecked. I checked it and noticed within minutes it started charging.

oppman29

Apr 16, 2007
Philly
I have tried everything on this thread and nothing worked, device just recognized by the computer as QHUSB_LOAD. I contacted HP via chat. Our devices are still under warranty so even if you bought it from ebay/craigslist you should be able to send it for repair.

they didnt ask more than the serial number.

I suggest you just send your table in for repairs....
( crosses fingers hoping they dont send me a ****ty broken one back)

=========================================
8:11 PM Addison:
“Because your tablet is in warranty, the repair option is Repair and Return with Box option at no charge. We’ll send you an empty box with a prepaid label in which to return your tablet to our repair facility.
8:11 PM Addison:
The process takes 7 to 10 business days from the date you ship your device. After repairs are made, your device is returned to you using 2-day air.
=========================================

leepriestenator

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 25, 2006
Well, after a couple of weeks I played with it again. I plugged it in directly to the wall charger and the touchstone together at the same time. I ended up hearing a faint click coming from the device.....very faint...

Ended up leaving it on the touchstone and unplugging and plugging in the other wall charger. The home button after about a minute of doing this started to flash left to right. Never seen this before. I then left both chargers plugged in for about and hour then the low battery symbol appeared! Left it on both chargers for about 8 hours and it booted back into webos (my default).

That worked for me! Of course I'm still in phase one with the home button light flashing from side to side. Will let it continue to charge till I can see the screen turn on.

Mine has been dead for 2 whole days now. Continually charging it didn't help. Read every post on the internet, tried every combination and nothing worked including connecting it to the computer.

Thanks mate. For anyone else reading this. Do it in the exact same order. Place the TP on a powered touchstone and after a few seconds (under 10), turn on the wall charger.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

bobtidey

Jul 5, 2011
My wife's touchpad got into this state after running right down. No sign of charging on either Touchstone or cable connected. Chargers remained cool. Screen was totally black, no battery icons at all.

I tried all the button combo press methods. No joy.

I was going to try the Touchstone + USB charger method but before that tried the cable charger method where I plugged in the micro USB cable and repeatedly removed and re-inserted the USB end from the power brick. After about 15 goes then the red battery icon appeared and it started charging. A few minutes later it booted into CM9 with 1% battery and has now recharged successfully.

I believe the theory here is that each time the power goes on the charging circuit manages to get some juice into the battery before then deciding the battery is too low to continue charging. Enough of these then give the battery enough charge to persuade the charging circuit that it is OK to continue.

I'm not saying it works for all possible states, but it allowed me to breath a sigh of relief.

benthe1

Jan 31, 2012
Utah
My wife's touchpad got into this state after running right down. No sign of charging on either Touchstone or cable connected. Chargers remained cool. Screen was totally black, no battery icons at all.

I tried all the button combo press methods. No joy.

I was going to try the Touchstone + USB charger method but before that tried the cable charger method where I plugged in the micro USB cable and repeatedly removed and re-inserted the USB end from the power brick. After about 15 goes then the red battery icon appeared and it started charging. A few minutes later it booted into CM9 with 1% battery and has now recharged successfully.

I believe the theory here is that each time the power goes on the charging circuit manages to get some juice into the battery before then deciding the battery is too low to continue charging. Enough of these then give the battery enough charge to persuade the charging circuit that it is OK to continue.

I'm not saying it works for all possible states, but it allowed me to breath a sigh of relief.

I'm so glad I read this before ever having this problem. I will never let my TouchPad run out of battery...ever!

Sent from my Epic Touch (Blazer ROM) using XDA

bobtidey

Jul 5, 2011
I'm so glad I read this before ever having this problem. I will never let my TouchPad run out of battery...ever!

Sent from my Epic Touch (Blazer ROM) using XDA

Having realised the danger, I have now set up tasks to trigger a shutdown if battery level falls below 10% on both of out Touchpads. I used Tasker on mine as I had that already. Automateit offers the same type of functionality. Hopefully at some stage this will get integrated into CM9 operation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So i had a similar situation and tried everything you had mentioned and all the suggestions in the thread. Nothing. No power, completely dead. I even left it
    overnight on the charger... nothing. For sure i thought I bricked it. Then, I read online that someone tried the following:

Press and hold Power + Volume Up and click the card (menu) button a thousand times.

Wow! It worked! The TP is alive! In actuality, it only took about 30-50 times (not a thousand) of pressing the menu button while holding power + volume up.
    I then got the white USB icon in the middle of the screen and then pressed and held the power + menu button to reboot.

What I did find interesting though is the battery was almost discharged even after having it on the supplied charger (not touchstone) overnight.
    Anyway, hope this resolves your issue as well.
    while i was experiencing the exact same issue as mentioned above (on top of that, i couldnt find my orioginal charger) so i tried the combination of every single micro usb cable i had, every wall usb charger i had, and then tried every cable in my lap to. additionally, i scoured all forums for a possible solution and tried all the different button combinations as well. hours spent trying to find the original cable/power adapter, and a solution to this problem now just seem a waste, as I should have just contacted webos/palm support first (like i did). here is a transcript of my conversation (skip to the bold part if you want to try something that i didnt read elsewhere on the forums, which i think is what did the trick). I did each of the steps at some point in that night (some before i contacted support and some while talking to him)

Ronold: Thank you for contacting HP Web OS Customer Support. How can I help you today?
    12:39 AM me: hi
    12:40 AM me: i am not able to charge my touchpad
    12:41 AM me: after looking at others having similar issues, i believe my battery was completely drained at some point and now it will not recharge.
    12:41 AM Ronold: I will assist you
    12:41 AM Ronold: Do you see any symbol on the device screen when you connect the charger?
    12:42 AM me: yes, it shows the battery symbol with a one red bar
    12:42 AM me: and then it quickly changes screens
    12:42 AM me: and says that i should plug in the cable and power adapter from HP
    12:42 AM me: something like that
    12:43 AM me: "To reliably charge...."
    12:43 AM Ronold: Inspect the charger for any physical damage, such as cut wires, abrasions, or bent prongs.
    12:43 AM me: there is no physical damage
    12:43 AM Ronold: Are you using an HP-branded AC charger and cable approved for use with this webOS device (for example, the charger and cable that came with the device)?
    12:44 AM met: yes
    12:44 AM Ronold: Try to follow these steps:
    12:44 AM Ronold: Unplug the AC charger and remove the USB cable.
    12:44 AM met: ok
    12:44 AM Ronold: Hold the base of the AC charger (the part with the USB port) with one hand, and the cap with the prongs with the other hand.
    12:44 AM Ronold: Hold the base firmly, and rotate the cap counterclockwise until it stops, and then rotate it back clockwise until you feel it notch into place. This reseats the connectors between the base and cap. Note the position of the prongs before and after to get an idea of how far the cap turns.
    12:44 AM Ronold: When turned until it stops, the cap can be removed. If this happens, replace it by aligning the notches on the cap with the slots on the base.
    12:45 AM Ronold: Connect the small end of the USB cable to the tablet, and the other end of the USB cable to the AC charger. Then plug the AC charger into an outlet. The battery icon should change to this icon to indicate it is being charged.
    12:45 AM me: ok
    12:46 AM me: no luck
    12:46 AM Ronold: What happens now?
    12:46 AM me: same issue as mentioned earlier
    12:46 AM Ronold: Plug the AC charger into a different wall outlet.
    12:46 AM me: ok
    12:47 AM me: no luck
    12:47 AM Ronold: Connect the device to a computer using the USB cable.
    12:47 AM me: ok
    12:48 AM me: same issue on the touchpad
    12:48 AM me: my computer is trying to find a driver for it right now though
    12:48 AM me: nevermind, it says it failed to find one
    12:50 AM Ronold: Press and hold power button and press center button for 30 seconds
    12:51 AM me: showing the same message
    12:51 AM Ronold: Press and hold power button and press center button for 15 times
    12:54 AM met: the screen with the one red bar for battery charging thing flashes, but no message comes up
    12:54 AM me: then 5-10 seconds later
    12:54 AM me: the one red bar with battery charging and hte message follows
    12:55 AM Ronold: It indicates that device has extremely low battery power.
    12:55 AM Ronold: When did you charge the device last time?
    12:55 AM me: its been a few days or longer
    12:56 AM Ronold: You need to charge it for more than 2-3 hours continuously.
    12:56 AM me: i have done so
    12:56 AM me: with no avail
    1:01 AM me: hello?
    1:02 AM Ronold: Battery must have a certain level of charge for the device to turn on. When the battery charge is low, the device shuts off. When it is turned on when the charge is low, the device displays a low-battery screen for a moment and then the screen goes dark again. If the device is plugged into a charger, the device displays the low-battery screen.
    1:03 AM Ronold: Cevice starts when the charge has increased enough, indicated by the HP logo. Startup may take a few seconds.
    1:03 AM Ronold: Device*
    1:04 AM Ronold: As we have done above step, it will resets the battery. So that you need to charge it for minimum 2 hours.

THIS WORKED. i let it charge overnight (which i had done before), but this time it worked. (other things i did that night include holding volume up and power for like 5-30 secs, holding the volume up, power and center button for 5-30 seconds, volume down button)
    No go with Home + Power, Power + Vol Down, Power + clicking Home

Just making sure you read it right since you didn't list it above.

Power + volume up + clicking home button repeatedly.
    All 3, same time. Just trying to help.
    If you are talking desperate measures, here is another from Webos Nations.

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-to...es/311491-how-i-revived-my-dead-touchpad.html

Enjoy the read.
    Dead, non-charging touchpads can be revived here.
    If this don't work, you def have a dead one… .

Peace