[FIXED] Flashing Issues with Security Unlocked / Not For Resale phone (Error [340])

Search This thread

Potis20

Aug 26, 2011
UPDATE:

I managed to fix it by first running the ACDU fix and then installing the European RUU over it! It even updates now!! :)

ACDU.exe (click the button on the right to download)
Released RUUs for HTC 8X (make sure to get one that corresponds to your device!)

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS HAS WORKED FOR ME AND MY SECURITY UNLOCKED DEVICE,
THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT IT WILL WORK FOR YOU
IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE, IT'S ON YOU.

Steps:

1. Put your device in the bootloader screen by powering it off, and then turning it back on while holding the vol up + vol down buttons simultaneously.
  2. Connect the device to your computer and let Windows locate and install the driver needed. Wait until the driver is fully installed and/or you can see the word USB written on the bootloader screen.
  3. Run the ACDU.exe file and let it do its job (This supposedly unbrands your phone!). It should restart a couple of times showing a green screen and then eventually go into the bootloader menu. It might say something like "UEFI for Key Provision ONLY" in red letters, ignore that.
  4. Run the RUU you've downloaded and if everything goes as planned it should flash correctly. If not, make sure you've downloaded the correct RUU for your device and that it's not corrupted.
  5. Enjoy your (unbricked and) updatable security unlocked device.

I hope this helps!! :)

Source used (it's in chinese): http://bbs.lumwp.com/thread-133710-1-1.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I have an HTC 8X that appears to be security unlocked and therefore could not receive updates.

In my infinite wisdom, I decided to try to flash the European RUU that has been released in the internet, hoping it would allow me to update the phone further. I did not proceed unprepared and I did indeed check that the phone was European (it initially had the OS version: 2.00.401.03) so it looked as if everything matched.

However, after starting the update, RUU flashed some UEFI related files and then the phone restarted. It started up and resumed the main firmware flashing process, stopping at the 1% mark and restarting back the bootloader.

The error code reported by RUU is the following:

Error [340]: ENCSS_VERIFY_ERROR

SSD Error, please flash subsystem does not encrypted image

The error message is kinda incoherent and I can't find anything about it (except in a thread in XDA, where someone states that this might be because I need an American firmware?), what's worse is that I'm left with a soft-bricked device that I can do nothing with since it can only boot to the bootloader.

The device is unlocked, unbranded and security unlocked (CID: 11111111), yet I'm still stuck.

If I try to flash only the UEFI stuff (by removing the RUU .nbh from the directory), the device is then able to boot to the HTC logo and get into the dual gear screen, where it gets stuck. The hard reset option does not seem to work at all, the phone restarts at the HTC logo if I keep the vol down button pressed. Strangely, I can get into the lightning screen but I dunno what that might do.

Did I mention that the device cannot shutdown? Yeah... It only restarts...

Does anyone know any way to fix this? Or why this might be occuring?

Last edited:

Potis20

Aug 26, 2011
I've managed to fix it and I've included the solution in my first post. I hope this helps. :D

fengsam

Jan 22, 2013
help

This just skips the CID check.
You can also change the CID by command to like HTC__001 and get the OTA's and be able to install RUU's the normal way.

i have a 8x(620e) bricked after updating wp8.1.It booted after updated but auto bootboop before wp8.1 gui.I try to hard reset,it can not help.So i try to flash it.but it says image version ledd than device version.Can you help me?Thanks.

fengsam

Jan 22, 2013
help

UPDATE:

I managed to fix it by first running the ACDU fix and then installing the European RUU over it! It even updates now!! :)

ACDU.exe (click the button on the right to download)
Released RUUs for HTC 8X (make sure to get one that corresponds to your device!)

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS HAS WORKED FOR ME AND MY SECURITY UNLOCKED DEVICE,
THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT IT WILL WORK FOR YOU
IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE, IT'S ON YOU.

Steps:

1. Put your device in the bootloader screen by powering it off, and then turning it back on while holding the vol up + vol down buttons simultaneously.
  2. Connect the device to your computer and let Windows locate and install the driver needed. Wait until the driver is fully installed and/or you can see the word USB written on the bootloader screen.
  3. Run the ACDU.exe file and let it do its job (This supposedly unbrands your phone!). It should restart a couple of times showing a green screen and then eventually go into the bootloader menu. It might say something like "UEFI for Key Provision ONLY" in red letters, ignore that.
  4. Run the RUU you've downloaded and if everything goes as planned it should flash correctly. If not, make sure you've downloaded the correct RUU for your device and that it's not corrupted.
  5. Enjoy your (unbricked and) updatable security unlocked device.

I hope this helps!! :)

Source used (it's in chinese): http://bbs.lumwp.com/thread-133710-1-1.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

could you list your bootloader message?

Potis20

Aug 26, 2011
could you list your bootloader message?

Well, after updating to GDR3, it seems that the bootloader messages have changed.

As of right now, it says

Security Unlocked
PM2320001 P S WP8 I (Before flashing ACDU, I think it used to be only "PM230001")
SBL1-1.0.21009.0
SBL2-1.0.21009.0
SBL3-1.0.21009.0
RPM-1.1.03078.0
TZ-303.000.241
UEFI-0.0.3030.0(175731) (Before updating, it used to be something like "15****", where * = numbers)
OS-4.12.401.01 (Before updating, it used to be 2.00.401.03)
CID-11111111
Radio-1.20b-32-19.04_15.67b.32.19 (Before flashing/updating, it used to be something like "1.11b.32.19.23")

i have a 8x(620e) bricked after updating wp8.1.It booted after updated but auto bootboop before wp8.1 gui.I try to hard reset,it can not help.So i try to flash it.but it says image version ledd than device version.Can you help me?Thanks.

Ah, that's unfortunate. I don't know of a way to bypass the version check. =/ I don't understand why they're making things so difficult for end users. If you're flashing a full ROM, then you don't care what the previous one was... The only thing I can think of is that maybe on each update they blow a fuse so that you can't go back, like on the Xbox360

This just skips the CID check.
You can also change the CID by command to like HTC__001 and get the OTA's and be able to install RUU's the normal way.

How would I go around doing that?

fengsam

Jan 22, 2013
Well, after updating to GDR3, it seems that the bootloader messages have changed.

As of right now, it says

Security Unlocked
PM2320001 P S WP8 I (Before flashing ACDU, I think it used to be only "PM230001")
SBL1-1.0.21009.0
SBL2-1.0.21009.0
SBL3-1.0.21009.0
RPM-1.1.03078.0
TZ-303.000.241
UEFI-0.0.3030.0(175731) (Before updating, it used to be something like "15****", where * = numbers)
OS-4.12.401.01 (Before updating, it used to be 2.00.401.03)
CID-11111111
Radio-1.20b-32-19.04_15.67b.32.19 (Before flashing/updating, it used to be something like "1.11b.32.19.23")

Ah, that's unfortunate. I don't know of a way to bypass the version check. =/ I don't understand why they're making things so difficult for end users. If you're flashing a full ROM, then you don't care what the previous one was... The only thing I can think of is that maybe on each update they blow a fuse so that you can't go back, like on the Xbox360

How would I go around doing that?

Your message is same with mine.http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2722104

Potis20

Aug 26, 2011

Well, unless we can find a way to bypass the OS version check set by HTC (or MS?), I guess you're stuck. =(

I was thinking of updating to 8.1 but after the whole ordeal above, I said "**** it, I'll get it when it's updatable! I'm not taking the change of bricking it again.."

..This captcha thing is starting to get very annoying...

fengsam

Jan 22, 2013
Well, unless we can find a way to bypass the OS version check set by HTC (or MS?), I guess you're stuck. =(

I was thinking of updating to 8.1 but after the whole ordeal above, I said "**** it, I'll get it when it's updatable! I'm not taking the change of bricking it again.."

..This captcha thing is starting to get very annoying...

I think the OS version check set by htc.Because htc8s can still downgrade by reflashing ruu.I am very happy to update wp8.1,but bricked.

Threshergr

Jan 11, 2007
Can someone upload ACDU.exe fix file again??

I have HTC wp 8x from O2 and i try to unlock with your instructions :good:

LongZheng

Can someone upload ACDU.exe fix file again??

I have HTC wp 8x from O2 and i try to unlock with your instructions :good:

I don't have the ACDU file but I was able to unlock my phone using the ACDU_UEFI_PROV_KEY.nbh file.

1. Download ACDU_UEFI_PROV_KEY https://mega.co.nz/#!UlMS1CyQ!rX-5-U6mmBHncVw6etFYeuSuV-OLX1De-jgkgEGf6FU
2. Put the ACDU file in the same directory as the ROMUpdateUtility (move the other .nbh files to another folder)
3. Run ROMUpdateUtility.exe
4. Phone should flash and unlock
5. Delete the ACDU_UEFI_PROV_KEY file
6. Move the UEFI_signed.nbh and RUU_signed.nbh files back
7. Run ROMUpdateUtility.exe again to flash ROM

moonmoon8

Feb 13, 2007
Same issue with HTC 8x Security Unlocked CID 1111111
Error [340]: ENCSS_VERIFY_ERROR

can you share your complete files package here?
thanks

msmrajpoot

Dec 23, 2015
i have downloaded latest nbh files for my HTC 8X by using windows device recovery tool and use the flash utility with nbh files as u said still no results. get the error : 340 encss verify error
SSD Error Please Flash subsystem does not encrypted image