[Hardware] HTC HD2: Project Evolution

Who wants to see this happen?

• Total voters
Search This thread

isaiah12345

Jan 30, 2010
Bloomfield, NJ
This is my newest project. It's basically a way to greatly improve the already great HD2. The plan is to take the hardware of the hd2 and put it into a new housing to increase functionality.

Goals:
  • front facing camera
  • better signal
  • front facing speaker (why in the world would you ever want to turn your phone around to hear it)
  • camera lens protection
  • bigger battery
  • wireless charging
  • kickstand
  • camera swivel
  • looks
  • a breath of fresh air for the ever so aging HD2

Achieved:
  • front facing speaker
  • kickstand
  • proximity and light sensor repositioned
  • evo 4g lte housing (chose this because the device can stay slim and pocketable while still adding new features)
  • 2300 mah battery

Problems:
  • No More Front Camera (due to needing the phone to actually charge)
  • with the extension of the micro usb and headphone jack, it makes it nearly impossible for the camera to swivel back to rear position
  • removable battery door

Future Plans:
  • make a primary hd2 docking station complete with external battery speakers and keyboard (idea thanks to xyntaxis)

So what do you think of this project? I am open to any suggestions or support.

Last edited:

isaiah12345

Jan 30, 2010
Bloomfield, NJ
nice project! can we change the CPU :p lol

i had an idea for that, but that would require changing a lot of drivers and kernels. If we can our best bet would be to either get a higher clocked qualcomm s1 from something like the titan, or wait for wp8 and upgrade to an s2 through s4. Unfortunately, for now that's just a half baked idea.

edit: remember the main point of this thread is to change the look and feel of the hd2. the internals aren't really being touched. btw, i'll have some pics up when i get the proper housing. when the pics are up i'm sure there will be a better understanding of this project.

Last edited:

Nigeldg

Feb 25, 2011
i had an idea for that, but that would require changing a lot of drivers and kernels. If we can our best bet would be to either get a higher clocked qualcomm s1 from something like the titan, or wait for wp8 and upgrade to an s2 through s4. Unfortunately, for now that's just a half baked idea.
I don't know much about this stuff, but wouldn't the larger battery and front facing camera already require new drivers + kernel changes? Also, I think if anything needs to be improved it's the GPU, not the CPU. Once again I have no clue how this works and whether or not the GPU and CPU are somehow dependent on each other so if this isn't possible then I guess there isn't much that can be done about it.

I support your idea all the way though

Reactions: gargdada

retsam88

Feb 23, 2009
This thread is kinda science fiction. You can't simply change CPU or GPU because they are SoC. Any hardware change require massive talent, knowledge and time because we don't have detailed schematics for hardware and software so you would need to reverse engineer it.

Thoughts are good, but it's too hard and time consuming IMO. Good luck though, I'll be watching this thread :)

Reactions: gileas and Burag

xyntaxis

May 16, 2012
How about this kind of device? =)

Attachments

• IMG_20120823_131001.jpg
    IMG_20120823_131001.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 1,472

hellrokr

Jul 30, 2012
A.F.K.
pic plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... i would like to see the front camera :p:p and how is the OS able to figure out that there are two cameras now ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my newest project. It's basically a way to greatly improve the already great HD2. The plan is to take the hardware of the hd2 and put it into a new housing to increase functionality.

Goals:
    • front facing camera
    • better signal
    • front facing speaker (why in the world would you ever want to turn your phone around to hear it)
    • camera lens protection
    • bigger battery
    • wireless charging
    • kickstand
    • camera swivel
    • looks
    • a breath of fresh air for the ever so aging HD2

Achieved:
    • front facing speaker
    • kickstand
    • proximity and light sensor repositioned
    • evo 4g lte housing (chose this because the device can stay slim and pocketable while still adding new features)
    • 2300 mah battery

Problems:
    • No More Front Camera (due to needing the phone to actually charge)
    • with the extension of the micro usb and headphone jack, it makes it nearly impossible for the camera to swivel back to rear position
    • removable battery door

Future Plans:
    • make a primary hd2 docking station complete with external battery speakers and keyboard (idea thanks to xyntaxis)

So what do you think of this project? I am open to any suggestions or support.
    Hey guys. Pics and videos are finally here. I will upload more soon and try to keep you all posted.

IMG011.jpg
    IMG014.jpgIMG015.jpgIMG016.jpg
    IMG025.jpgIMG029.jpgIMG043.jpg

ok so i was wondering if you can add extra ram as in take the same 512 from another hd2 insert it into the one you're working on ..would that work ? same thing goes for the processor; in theory we would have a dualcore hd2 with 1 gb of ram just slap on a bigger battery? i am a newb i know but was just wondering if that is possible or not.

In theory you could duct tape 2 hd2 together to have a dual core processor with 1GB of ram AND a combined 8.6 inch of display at 1600x960.
    News?

Sent from my NexusHD2 using xda premium

Yes! Finally there is news. But before I get to that it dawned on me that the htc one is exactly what I wanted the hd2 to be minus a micro sd card slot, dual boot, removable battery, and kickstand. Due to those facts I will definitely be continuing this project to completion. Plus I just love my hd2. :D

IMG294.jpg

the camera actually fits perfectly with the new housing
    • I still need to cut out the area for the flash

IMG296.jpgIMG297.jpgIMG298.jpgIMG299.jpgIMG300.jpg

I have now stripped everything down to its bare minimums

What now?
    • get the new speakers
    • input kickstand
    • make battery packs
    • make battery door removable
    • cut holes for headphone and micro usb
    • get wireless charging

Complications
    *this list is continuously shrinking
    • the 2300 mah battery, even though it works, won't fit, so I either have to deal with the terrible battery, get a mugen 1500mah battery (very likely), or make a battery pack that traverses the inside of the device

p.s.
    I apologize for the long wait but as you can see my hd2 has seen better days. Plus I have finally got a replacement phone so I can work on it as much as I please. :laugh: Things will finally get done now.
    Ok guys I have two things for you today. First it's a concept of what the final product might look like. Let me know what you think.
    8171378906_d011124071_c.jpg

8171861244_7f274b3136_c.jpg

1. Front Facing Speaker
    2. Notification Light
    3. Phone Speaker
    4. Proximity and Light Sensors
    5. Mic
    6. Micro USB
    7. 3.5mm Headphone Jack
    8. 5mp camera
    9. Dual LED Flash
    10. Volume Rocker

Second is a quick question on speaker quality. I am aware that the hd2 doesn't have the best sound quality so i was looking to change it. I was thinking of using the one x, one x+, or htc surround speaker. Out of the three which do you believe is the best? Also if you have any other suggestions don't hesitate to tell me.