FC09 being released OTA, FC19.rdf posted, still 2.3.6

Search This thread

poit

May 10, 2009
Colorado
Google Pixel 7
I honestly didn't see what the big deal with Gingerbread was. Stability? Battery life? I really never had any issues with Froyo. Only reason I wanted Gingerbread was for MIUI. As for EK23/30 or whatever, I wouldn't expect this to actually be released. And I'll be shocked as hell if we do get ICS.

An rfd file means that Sprint is actually testing the rom on Epics. I can't believe that they would waste their resources testing developing and testing a rom if they don't intend to release an update. I think it's too soon to expect any work on an ICS rom, but a bug fix release for gingerbread doesn't surprise me at all.

slybarman

Dec 24, 2010
I honestly didn't see what the big deal with Gingerbread was. Stability? Battery life? I really never had any issues with Froyo. Only reason I wanted Gingerbread was for MIUI. As for EK23/30 or whatever, I wouldn't expect this to actually be released. And I'll be shocked as hell if we do get ICS.

I find Gingerbread much snappier than Froyo was.

adelmundo

Oct 10, 2010
San Ramon, CA
Froyo was total rubbish for me. Constant FCs and soft reboots ans my phone lagged and froze a lot. On GB, my phone is buttery smooth and fast with stability. Froyo was a bad experience for me. Even if these are just maintenance updates, it means official support is NOT DEAD on our Epics.

gerrym

Dec 7, 2010
Norfolk, VA
www.gmassie.net
Isn't it obvious?? 2.3.6 is ACTUALLY 4.3.6 Licorice and will activate the supersecret LTE chip and convert our micro USB into minimicroHDMI ... I heard looneyrat has an advance copy ;)

;)

Got to wish there was a 'real' LTE chip in this phone... Sprint says they are ditching WiMax and going "LTE" with a lot of new equipment... how do you ever know where the truth is?

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
;)

Got to wish there was a 'real' LTE chip in this phone... Sprint says they are ditching WiMax and going "LTE" with a lot of new equipment... how do you ever know where the truth is?

They are building an LTE network and will continue supporting Wimax for sometime after. Mid 2012 they will "flip the switch" for the LTE network. Wimax will still be available probably through 2013.

A_Flying_Fox

Aug 10, 2010
I thought the i9000 did not...my bad. So why didn't i9000 GB work on Captivate, Fascinate and those others without keyboard that still don't have GB?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

They may look similar to the i9000, but our phone is probably the closest Galaxy S variant to the original.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
I thought the contract with Clearwire was until 2015. I can't find the article.

Found it. The last paragraph of this article.

I was guessing. Figured it would be longer plus they own 51% of Clearwire.

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

They may look similar to the i9000, but our phone is probably the closest Galaxy S variant to the original.

So why did they have to mod the GB software and test so much to get it working on our phones? GB was on European Galaxy S phones 8 months ago? If they really all have Touchwiz then if one Galaxy S gets ICS they all will. I don't think they will though. They left these out of the official written list.

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis

Not true. For example, for ics, the other galaxy s series can use each others kernel sources slightly modified without too much difficulty. We can't because ours is hacked up and very different from the others.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

A_Flying_Fox

Aug 10, 2010
I was guessing. Figured it would be longer plus they own 51% of Clearwire.

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

So why did they have to mod the GB software and test so much to get it working on our phones? GB was on European Galaxy S phones 8 months ago? If they really all have Touchwiz then if one Galaxy S gets ICS they all will. I don't think they will though. They left these out of the official written list.

Not true. if one gets ics, then they all HAVE POTENTIAL to lol. There's still differences between the phones lol

Its kinda like how you can't flash a rom made for the mytouch3g 32a variant if you have the mytouch3g 32b variant. They're almost exactly the same phone, but there's just enough of a difference to force you to have to mod some things to get something to work from one on to the other..

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Not true. if one gets ics, then they all HAVE POTENTIAL to lol. There's still differences between the phones lol

Its kinda like how you can't flash a rom made for the mytouch3g 32a variant if you have the mytouch3g 32b variant. They're almost exactly the same phone, but there's just enough of a difference to force you to have to mod some things to get something to work from one on to the other..

True but the point is there has been no official announcement by Samsung for ICS on the Galaxy S. They have said it will be on the GSII. If they decide to go with it on the Galaxy S series then all will get it but by the time it hits the US Galaxy S phones officially we will all be on new phones with LTE. Any phone running Gingerbread is capable of running ICS. It is just if the manufacturer plans on putting in the effort.

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
Mi
True but the point is there has been no official announcement by Samsung for ICS on the Galaxy S. They have said it will be on the GSII. If they decide to go with it on the Galaxy S series then all will get it but by the time it hits the US Galaxy S phones officially we will all be on new phones with LTE. Any phone running Gingerbread is capable of running ICS. It is just if the manufacturer plans on putting in the effort.

Well, samsung is getting better. We could've had a slightly older 2.3.x version in july/august but then they updated and that is what really delayed us. Had it not been for that, we mightve had gb only 3 months after i9000.

Last edited:

zanderman112

Oct 6, 2010
SouthEast USA
www.twitter.com
Well, samsung is getting better. We could've had 2.3.0 in july/august but then they updated and that is what really delayed us. Had it not been for that, we mightve had gb only 3 months after i9000.

ED12 had to have been the buggiest software on the planet lol

Sent from my Samsung Legendary 4G, a Universe UTES phone, running "two.three.five"

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
My post originally was incorrect. I said we could've had 2.3.0 in july or august, but they were already on 2.3.3 or maybe 2.3.4. The point still stands though.

Those leaks were plagued with random reboots, dropped calls, a crippled browser, batteries cooking in no signal areas...etc. Hardly a stable release candidate.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts