Initial Thoughts and Impressions

Search This thread

GETCASHMONEY

Jun 4, 2012
For those of you who have received your N10 already, do you mind sharing some of your thoughts on the device after playing with it? I know it will make the time to by faster for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

lozfromcorby

Jan 13, 2010
For those of you who have received your N10 already, do you mind sharing some of your thoughts on the device after playing with it? I know it will make the time to by faster for me.

Build: It's nice, I actually like the rubberised backing and I love where the speakers are. It's taking a little getting used to as I recently sold my ipad 3. To me, it feels like I don't have to treat it as precious as the ipad, and that is something I really like.

Screen: Sharp as hell, The screen is great. Really great. Sharpest I've seen. The contrast is took some getting used to because my phone is an s3 so I'm used to over saturation. After spending the evening with it yesterday, I actually prefer the more natural looking colours. I did download a black image to look at light bleed and did notice a couple but to be honest, its not something I have ever looked for before and it's not a big deal, its not noticable on mine when using it.

Android 4.2: love the multi log in. Love how smooth it is. Browsing internet so far as been as good as my laptop. I always found Chrome and Safari to be quite annoying on ipad. Still undecided about my preference on the soft keys placement, time will tell! I had forgotton my entire music collection is synced on my laptop to google music, so i got a great suprise when i saw all my music and picasa collection synced.

Apps: I probably don't use apps as much as other people but I do miss some apps from the ipad, things like amazon, ebay etc. and a decent twitter client. I'm sure they will come and they can be just as good (look at expedia on ipad and android for good example) and there is one app you will not see in the app store, one of the main (if naughty) reasons I sold my ipad...utorrent :S

That's all I can think right now...camera is average, as to be expected I guess.

Hope this answers you question ok! Cheers.

slide83

Mar 15, 2011
Thanks for the write up!

Is the web page scrolling smooth on sites like the verge and droid life articles, especially in the comment section, as smooth as the ipad 3 in safari? That is really my only concern about the tablet after reading the other reviews. I just can't stand stutters when I'm scrolling a web page.

kls2k

Nov 19, 2011
Thanks for the review!

I would also like to know how is the battery drain on first impression?

Vertron

Jul 30, 2010
I did download a black image to look at light bleed and did notice a couple but to be honest, its not something I have ever looked for before and it's not a big deal, its not noticable on mine when using it.

Where abouts is the light bleed located? How much light actually bleeds through? By that I mean is the light bleed spots noticeable brighter or only slightly.

It won't bother you during normal use, but would it if you watched a dark video?

Arcus01

Nov 19, 2009
York
My 32gb arrived yesterday late morning, used it on and off most of yesterday afternoon & evening.

Impressions:

In the box: Nexus 10, Quick Start manual, USB to micro-USB cable, USB adaptor & wallplug

Hardware:
Construction seems generally solid, I like the "grippy" rear on the device - you get have it on your knees without fear of it slipping off. My only gripe is how quickly the screen gets finger-print splattered, but that's a general tablet gripe rather than a Nexus 10 gripe.

Set-Up:
I had ticked the "link to my account" box upon ordering, so it greeted me by name when it booted up. Entering my Google password kicked off the quick & easy set-up process as any applicable apps (not all of them were) are downloaded onto the Nexus 10. Then came a OTA update to Jellybean, and a re-boot. Boot process is very fast - from switch on to login screen seems about 10 seconds.

Display:
As others have said. it is sharp. Very sharp. Zoomed text on web pages looks great. Games look great. Apps optimised for the tablet look great. No complaints about performance. I installed various widgets for email, twitter, FB etc. all without any issues.

User Accounts:
An excellent feature, and was very easy to set-up if you have google accounts for all users. Great for sharing the tablet around the family. My only concern is that now when I purchase an app on my account and someone else in the family want to use it, I will have to purchase it again for them - which is a bit of a gyp.

Battery:
Device came with about 70% battery. I plugged it in to charge whilst I was doing the set-up etc. During this period the device did not seem to gain any charge, but stayed about the same. When left alone on charge (not switched off), it seems to take a long time to charge up - probably managed about 10% in an hour. Left overnight it charged from 50% to full, no problem, but I'm going to see if a 10% or less battery will charge fully overnight tonight. Will not be very happy if it doesn't!

MikeBuck

Apr 28, 2012
My 32gb arrived yesterday late morning, used it on and off most of yesterday afternoon & evening.

Impressions:

In the box: Nexus 10, Quick Start manual, USB to micro-USB cable, USB adaptor & wallplug

Hardware:
Construction seems generally solid, I like the "grippy" rear on the device - you get have it on your knees without fear of it slipping off. My only gripe is how quickly the screen gets finger-print splattered, but that's a general tablet gripe rather than a Nexus 10 gripe.

Set-Up:
I had ticked the "link to my account" box upon ordering, so it greeted me by name when it booted up. Entering my Google password kicked off the quick & easy set-up process as any applicable apps (not all of them were) are downloaded onto the Nexus 10. Then came a OTA update to Jellybean, and a re-boot. Boot process is very fast - from switch on to login screen seems about 10 seconds.

Display:
As others have said. it is sharp. Very sharp. Zoomed text on web pages looks great. Games look great. Apps optimised for the tablet look great. No complaints about performance. I installed various widgets for email, twitter, FB etc. all without any issues.

User Accounts:
An excellent feature, and was very easy to set-up if you have google accounts for all users. Great for sharing the tablet around the family. My only concern is that now when I purchase an app on my account and someone else in the family want to use it, I will have to purchase it again for them - which is a bit of a gyp.

Battery:
Device came with about 70% battery. I plugged it in to charge whilst I was doing the set-up etc. During this period the device did not seem to gain any charge, but stayed about the same. When left alone on charge (not switched off), it seems to take a long time to charge up - probably managed about 10% in an hour. Left overnight it charged from 50% to full, no problem, but I'm going to see if a 10% or less battery will charge fully overnight tonight. Will not be very happy if it doesn't!

Would be possible for you do a light bleed test for us?

ceribaen

Mar 15, 2012
Wait... Apps are restricted by login account on the device? and not by device itself?
Damn... :/

GETCASHMONEY

Jun 4, 2012
Can you have multiple users with the same gmail account? Or multiple gmail accounts under the same user? I feel like this would prevent having to repurchase apps.

adil17

Sep 16, 2012
What about gaming? (Asphalt, need for speed)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

lozfromcorby

Jan 13, 2010
Hi,

I'm at work right now, can try and get a picture when I get in, its not noticable at all when screen in normal use, in black screen there is a very small amount in the top right hand corner and one in the bottom to the far left.

one thing i forgot to mention, the battery! seems good BUT I put it on charge at 10pm last night when it was 10% and by 7am it was at 91%. pretty slow by any standards, maybe just cos its a first charge but we will see though i have heard the pogo plug bit should charge much faster!

Arcus01

Nov 19, 2009
York
Can you have multiple users with the same gmail account? Or multiple gmail accounts under the same user? I feel like this would prevent having to repurchase apps.

Gonna have a more in depth look at this tonight, but as each additional user I set-up was done using different gmail accounts & for each one it asked if I wanted to register a credit card, I concluded that apps purchases were done per account rather than per device. Hope not though!

dave365

Mar 15, 2012
First Impressions:

Slick fulfillment - Ordered 16gb at 11:16 am in UK on Tuesday, arrived 23 hours later!

Nice box Decent charge in battery :D

Looks cheap compared to the finish on my departed TF201, though feels nice in the hand.

Bezel looks slightly too large at sides due to the speakers.

Lovely screen, some very very minor light bleed, certainly nothing compared to my TF201.

Takes ages to charge via the micro USB, a faster solution is needed urgently.

4.2 being very early days mean a good few of my regularly used apps like MX Player and Boat Browser do not yet work.

lozfromcorby

Jan 13, 2010
Here is one I took last night with normal screen i nthe dark. perfect for movie watching, no?

Attachments

• 20121115_083130.jpg
    20121115_083130.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 1,430
Reactions: Vertron

budwizer

Dec 20, 2009
Midlothian, Va
Gonna have a more in depth look at this tonight, but as each additional user I set-up was done using different gmail accounts & for each one it asked if I wanted to register a credit card, I concluded that apps purchases were done per account rather than per device. Hope not though!

Haven't received my N10 yet however with the Android phones my family uses I created a "family" Gmail account that some purchases are made under. I add that "family" account as a secondary account on the phones (making sure to uncheck all sync options) and the apps are then available for all family members via the Play Store.

Reactions: lefttesticle

Vertron

Jul 30, 2010
Lovely screen, some very very minor light bleed, certainly nothing compared to my TF201.

Good. If all the screens only have very minor light bleed at worst then we have nothing to worry about.

Any chance of a photo of a fully black screen showing how minor the light bleed is?

GETCASHMONEY

Jun 4, 2012
Haven't received my N10 yet however with the Android phones my family uses I created a "family" Gmail account that some purchases are made under. I add that "family" account as a secondary account on the phones (making sure to uncheck all sync options) and the apps are then available for all family members via the Play Store.

That's the exact same method I use.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got mine this afternoon, I've been on it pretty much constantly since, here are my early thoughts, bearing in my mind this is my first tablet so I don't really have anything to compare it to:

The design looks good, don't know why everyone is complaining. The back looks better in the flesh than it did in videos/photos. I also really like the material of the back, it's less rubbery than I thought it would be, so it is smooth, but it also gives you grip.

The screen is excellent of course, colours look good, swiping between menus is very responsive. However, when browsing using Chrome, sometimes there is a little lag when clicking on links or scrolling around a webpage. This seems to be a Chrome problem though, as I tried the Dolphin browser which was much more responsive.

As for the screen bleed, yes there is some when the screen is completely black, but it is fairly minimal. 95% of the time you are using it, you will not notice it. To be honest, I don't see the big problem with screen bleed anyway. I have taken 2 photos of the device, both with full brightness and with the light off in my room (it's night time here).
    2e4ew48.jpg

2885ll4.jpg

Yes, it does seem quite noticeable in the first photo, but that is partly the fault of my phone camera which really accentuates it, it is much less noticeable when looking at it with the naked eye. As you see in the second photo, it is barely noticeable with a video playing. During typical use, I doubt anyone would have it on full brightness with the screen on almost fully black, while in a dark room. All in all, this is not a problem in my opinion.

The charging speed is absolutely dire, especially if you are using the tablet at the same time, although it should be able to fully charge if you leave it overnight. The charging dock is going to be very popular.

The speakers are pretty good, with the placement being the main thing. With it being at the front, the sound comes at you, and having your thumbs over them doesn't block the sound, unless you completely cover both sides with your hands.

I didn't get any WiFi drop-outs that I have seen a few reports of.

Overall, I am very pleased with this, and would definitely recommend it.

Also, if anyone wants anything checking or trying out, I'd be happy to do that.

Build: It's nice, I actually like the rubberised backing and I love where the speakers are. It's taking a little getting used to as I recently sold my ipad 3. To me, it feels like I don't have to treat it as precious as the ipad, and that is something I really like.

Screen: Sharp as hell, The screen is great. Really great. Sharpest I've seen. The contrast is took some getting used to because my phone is an s3 so I'm used to over saturation. After spending the evening with it yesterday, I actually prefer the more natural looking colours. I did download a black image to look at light bleed and did notice a couple but to be honest, its not something I have ever looked for before and it's not a big deal, its not noticable on mine when using it.

Android 4.2: love the multi log in. Love how smooth it is. Browsing internet so far as been as good as my laptop. I always found Chrome and Safari to be quite annoying on ipad. Still undecided about my preference on the soft keys placement, time will tell! I had forgotton my entire music collection is synced on my laptop to google music, so i got a great suprise when i saw all my music and picasa collection synced.

Apps: I probably don't use apps as much as other people but I do miss some apps from the ipad, things like amazon, ebay etc. and a decent twitter client. I'm sure they will come and they can be just as good (look at expedia on ipad and android for good example) and there is one app you will not see in the app store, one of the main (if naughty) reasons I sold my ipad...utorrent :S

That's all I can think right now...camera is average, as to be expected I guess.

Hope this answers you question ok! Cheers.

Impressions:

Hardware:

Set-Up:

Display:

User Accounts:

Battery:
    Initial Impressions:

The back feels plasticky. It’s a shame the material on the top strip has not been used for the whole back.

Perfect weight and size. It fits well in two hands and you can hold in one. Much nicer than the iPad.

The screen is gorgeous. Lovely colours and resolution. Looks like I won’t be needing the reading glasses quite a lot of the time.

The few videos I’ve played look very good as do photographs.

Scrolling is smooth, fast and without any obvious lag.

The sound is good.

It makes my Galaxy Tab 10.1 look like a Model T Ford and the iPad now has some very serious competition.

It’s a shame we’ve had to wait so long such a device. The future now looks very good for Android tablets.

Marks: 4.5/5
    0.5 lost because of that back otherwise it’s a winner.
    I love how people feel the need to defend this, "it's normal", "as expected" etc etc. This is just plain disappointing. Why is it so hard to produce perfect screens nowadays? I'd settle for 1920x1200 (or 1080) any day of the week if there was no bloody bleed. My old viewsonic 4:3 display from 2003 has this kind of light bleed. It's 9 years old. Don't justify these flaws, samsung (or any other brand) is most likely not your employer, so why do so many feel this need of loyalty?

I want to thank you for posting this picture. I said before release that if I read one single post or see one single picture of light bleed i'm not taking the risk. I didn't fully trust the engadget review and wanted proof from a regular user, and here I have it.

Let me know when you find a tech product where not one single device produced has any issues or defects.

I'll wait.